Sign in to follow this  
Angrytango

Taming on Atlas is animal cruelty !!!

Agreed. That is a cool video.What a beautiful horse.  I think people can tame animals without cruelty. i also think people can kill them when necessary with as little cruelty as possible. this entire thread has gotten completely out of hand. I do not care for the taming mechanic in the game. I find it non-immersive, distasteful and UNFUN. That seems to have hit a nerve and be pretty unpopular. It is what it is. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hambo said:

Go to YouTube and watch Monty Roberts' videos like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glZWiw5liZA

That is a far cry from taming a wild horse.  That is breaking an already bred and tame horse that has never been saddled.  Don't get me wrong brilliant technique, but nowhere close to taming something wild.

Just now, Vaenix said:

That is a far cry from taming a wild horse.  That is breaking an already bred and tame horse that has never been saddled.  Don't get me wrong brilliant technique, but nowhere close to taming something wild.

There are video series of Monty Roberts doing exactly that...  Going to the US Southwest, Roping a Mustang who maybe had never seen humans before, and getting exactly the same results.  Do the research before condemning the post, I just picked a short 10-15 video to make the point.

8 minutes ago, Angrytango said:

Agreed. That is a cool video.What a beautiful horse.  I think people can tame animals without cruelty. i also think people can kill them when necessary with as little cruelty as possible. this entire thread has gotten completely out of hand. I do not care for the taming mechanic in the game. I find it non-immersive, distasteful and UNFUN. That seems to have hit a nerve and be pretty unpopular. It is what it is. 

Yeah same as in real life. Humans have always tortured animals, and Atlas reflect that quite good. You dont tame animals with a rainbowbeam. Its cruel in game to tame animals in game and its cruel to tame animals IRL. And if you dont beleve that it is you live in a dreamworld. 

On 1/13/2019 at 6:22 AM, Scorpionshawn said:

Your all missing the point and your all really god damn stupid but what ever.

THIS BY FAR IS THE WORST TAMING IN ANY GAME AND THERE ARE A TON OF PEOPLE WHO THINK SO!!!

I hope the taming system is just a placeholder, because yeah, it's bad on so many levels. 

• Like 2

On 1/13/2019 at 4:44 AM, Angrytango said:

I have a LOT of hours logged on Ark and I want to love Atlas. But I am sorry, the taming is just distasteful. It is troublesome to me that the message we are sending to a lot of kids that may play this game is that you beat an animal to make it like you. And you don't just have to Bola it once! Oh no! You have to beat and bola it multiple times, over and over. I was taming a penguin tonight and I was almost in tears. I know it is just a game, but really!? Isn't there a better way? At least in Ark you just roofied the poor critter and made it your own. It might have woken up and felt a little like it had been at a Cosby party, but it didn't feel so awful! Come on, Devs. There's got to be a better way! 

th[3].jpg

So your solution to this problem is roofies? Like that would teach them otherwise, i picture myself this. A guy walk into a bar, the girl doesn´t like him. But hey yeah i remember playing atlas as a kid and i know for sure that pig liked my roofies... 

17 minutes ago, Warspectre said:

I hope the taming system is just a placeholder, because yeah, it's bad on so many levels. 

Hm, I never heard anyone talk about it on ARK, is it because those were dinosaurs and these are animals? 

Just now, Percieval said:

Hm, I never heard anyone talk about it on ARK, is it because those were dinosaurs and these are animals? 

If you ask PETA, they only care about furries. If they see a spider, you know its gone, another rainy day who cares 😄

Just now, pygmy said:

If you ask PETA, they only care about furries. If they see a spider, you know its gone, another rainy day who cares 😄

Well I don’t take PETA seriously after all the harm they did to animals themselves. 

A. You never had to beat the dinos on Ark. B Has a triceratops existed in your lifetime? Because penguins have, therefor they are more relatable. Weren't you trolling someone else earlier Percieval??? Run along. I am sure you are missed somewhere. 

1 hour ago, pygmy said:

So your solution to this problem is roofies? Like that would teach them otherwise, i picture myself this. A guy walk into a bar, the girl doesn´t like him. But hey yeah i remember playing atlas as a kid and i know for sure that pig liked my roofies... 

So you're saying roofies is no better than beating to within an inch of death repeatedly?

Don't get me wrong, I think it is a nice feature that they can attack the would be tamer to a limited degree while being fed. It just seems needlessly cruel to me, and a recipe for an animal that would turn on you the moment you dropped your guard, to require repeated beatings like it currently does.

Edited by Uueerdo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Uueerdo said:

So you're saying roofies is no better than beating to within an inch of death repeatedly?

Don't get me wrong, I think it is a nice feature that they can attack the would be tamer to a limited degree while being fed. It just seems needlessly cruel to me, and a recipe for an animal that would turn on you the moment you dropped your guard, to require repeated beatings like it currently does.

I think it is wierd where you draw the line for what is good and what is not? either i feel both option goes since it´s a game or none do. Drugging aginast your consent can´t be fine when attacking is. Both is either horrendeus or not.

3 minutes ago, pygmy said:

I think it is wierd where you draw the line for what is good and what is not? either i feel both option goes since it´s a game or none do. Drugging aginast your consent can´t be fine when attacking is. Both is either horrendeus or not.

I am not saying either is good; reality/morality is not black and white, and humans and animals are not the same. Neither drugging nor attacking are ok in a real world sense, but there is a thing called suspension of disbelief, where people like to immerse themselves into a story or game. I would argue that attacking (repeatedly) is worse than drugging, and while suspension of disbelief can tolerate the latter, the former is just too contrary to the nature of many players and/or visceral to be looked past and still enjoy the game.

"since it's game anything goes" is really completely meaningless... hey, since it's game, why don't the let us skin puppies alive, complete with realistic anatomy, bleeding, and yelping?.. I mean, it's just a game, right?  ..and if that's ok, we should be able to do the same to children in the game, right?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Angrytango said:

A. You never had to beat the dinos on Ark. B Has a triceratops existed in your lifetime? Because penguins have, therefor they are more relatable. Weren't you trolling someone else earlier Percieval??? Run along. I am sure you are missed somewhere. 

I feel honored. I trolled you and wasn't told to 'shoo'. Thank you.

14 hours ago, Uueerdo said:

I am not saying either is good; reality/morality is not black and white, and humans and animals are not the same. Neither drugging nor attacking are ok in a real world sense, but there is a thing called suspension of disbelief, where people like to immerse themselves into a story or game. I would argue that attacking (repeatedly) is worse than drugging, and while suspension of disbelief can tolerate the latter, the former is just too contrary to the nature of many players and/or visceral to be looked past and still enjoy the game.

"since it's game anything goes" is really completely meaningless... hey, since it's game, why don't the let us skin puppies alive, complete with realistic anatomy, bleeding, and yelping?.. I mean, it's just a game, right?  ..and if that's ok, we should be able to do the same to children in the game, right?

No its becuase people now a days think that others are knfluenced by video games have been debunked by many psyhcological proffesors in nuemreous studies which suggest its a myth, yet you sit here and say its diffrent. Are you fact-introlerant? If it is a morality issue, then dont play. End.

3 hours ago, pygmy said:

No its becuase people now a days think that others are knfluenced by video games have been debunked by many psyhcological proffesors in nuemreous studies which suggest its a myth, yet you sit here and say its diffrent. Are you fact-introlerant? If it is a morality issue, then dont play. End.

No, I say nothing of the sort about it influencing people, you were the one entertaining that notion and suggesting that beating repeatedly is not more inhumane than sedation. I am also not saying it's immoral to torture a simulated animal in a game; I am just saying it is something I am averse to doing, and that I have to wonder about anyone that would actually enjoy such a simulation.

On 1/13/2019 at 9:40 AM, darcek said:

I think this is just wrong.

Not about if OP is right or wrong,but my idea is that a products promotes whatever it is.

Its only a song,Its only a book,its only this its only that not reality dont really matter here.

If I make a game promoting slavery,thats what it will be promoting.but its only pixels! not real man! see where this sink into zero meaning?

If I make a game promoting throwing stones on others is that ok? cause only pixels?

Whatever the media be,it may promote anything,and as that its a power full tool.

As for the psychological ramifications etc im not expert.

But hiding behind the sentence:"Its just a game" Is really wrong and ignorant in my eyes.

Whatever the media,it will have an effect in real life,and it may enable or it may not,negative behavior.

Despite your argument being...void of substance. I would say that "It's only a song" doesn't apply, songs like books are all protected by freedom of speech. You can sing about slavery all you want. You can even write a pro-slavery book, at the end of the day that is YOUR choice, you are not forcing the audience to read or listen to just as the developers are not forcing children to play the game. Parents are completely responsible for this part, you can't set that aside because it "promotes" something you disagree with. Games like music and art are a form of expression, creativity, and art. When you read a sci-fi book you know that isn't real, its fantasy this is where your argument falls apart trying to compare real-world tangible objects to fantasy and simulated reality...it isn't the same, not by a mile.

• Like 1

Pretend your pretend arrows are just pretend drugging the pretend animals instead of pretend killing them.  Job done.

Edited by Coggage

I don't care about the "feelings" being had about the taming in any game, however the mechanics in Atlas taming are terrible and clunky.  Ark had a much better system, hands down.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iLL said:

I don't care about the "feelings" being had about the taming in any game, however the mechanics in Atlas taming are terrible and clunky.  Ark had a much better system, hands down.

Minus that fact a tame takes under 30 minutes here and over 3 hours in ark, yes.

Also, there's no ethical way to enslave a creature.

1 minute ago, iLL said:

Well thats because immersion is dead in Atlas

Also Dark and light had a better taming system as well

• Like 1