Sign in to follow this  
Angrytango

Taming on Atlas is animal cruelty !!!

I have a LOT of hours logged on Ark and I want to love Atlas. But I am sorry, the taming is just distasteful. It is troublesome to me that the message we are sending to a lot of kids that may play this game is that you beat an animal to make it like you. And you don't just have to Bola it once! Oh no! You have to beat and bola it multiple times, over and over. I was taming a penguin tonight and I was almost in tears. I know it is just a game, but really!? Isn't there a better way? At least in Ark you just roofied the poor critter and made it your own. It might have woken up and felt a little like it had been at a Cosby party, but it didn't feel so awful! Come on, Devs. There's got to be a better way! 

th[3].jpg

• Like 4

The penguin hug at the end was a small consolation prize. I love taming and breeding in other games. Just can't get into it in Atlas. 

SO we have this little line between reality and fantasy, you need to teach your children that games are not reflective of reality, failure to do that is on you, not the game developers and if the parents are too lazy to do that, they shouldn't be parents to begin with. Your argument is moot really, these are not animals, they are pixels on a screen thats painted to look like animals. Please take your PETA nonsense and go elsewhere, I hear Hello Kitty Online is great, a bit older than Atlas...but at least you are safe from "animal abuse".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your all missing the point and your all really god damn stupid but what ever.

THIS BY FAR IS THE WORST TAMING IN ANY GAME AND THERE ARE A TON OF PEOPLE WHO THINK SO!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sorry, but I have zero concern over pixel abuse in an online game. If you’re going to sit here and claim it’s animal abuse and not pixel abuse, then that would call into question your ability to distinguish reality from gaming. That would make the more pertinent issue your mental health.

Assuming that’s not the case, the only possibly valid point you might have would be the message sent to impressionable children. I agree completely withTobias that it is a parents responsibility to choose appropriate content for their children to be exposed to and then educate them properly on the difference between fantasy and reality.

It is not the gaming industries job to pre sanitize everything they produce for the sake of child exposure and I resent any implication as an adult that all of my entertainment should be pre emptively censored (and make no mistake this is what the Op is arguing for) to make parental abdication of responsibility acceptable.

@Scorpionshawn insulting people is unnecessary just because you disagree. Imo it is you who are missing the point. The Op is not commenting on the quality of the mechanic, but how he/she finds it morally objectionable. Whether the mechanic is a good one or not from a gameplay perspective is a separate issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The best taming method was in the ark mod, immersive taming, where you feed the animals certain foods to gain there trust. Much more realistic.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Sorry, but I have zero concern over pixel abuse in an online game. If you’re going to sit here and claim it’s animal abuse and not pixel abuse, then that would call into question your ability to distinguish reality from gaming. That would make the more pertinent issue your mental health.

Assuming that’s not the case, the only possibly valid point you might have would be the message sent to impressionable children. I agree completely withTobias that it is a parents responsibility to choose appropriate content for their children to be exposed to and then educate them properly on the difference between fantasy and reality.

It is not the gaming industries job to pre sanitize everything they produce for the sake of child exposure and I resent any implication as an adult that all of my entertainment should be pre emptively censored (and make no mistake this is what the Op is arguing for) to make parental abdication of responsibility acceptable.

@Scorpionshawn insulting people is unnecessary just because you disagree. Imo it is you who are missing the point. The Op is not commenting on the quality of the mechanic, but how he/she finds it morally objectionable. Whether the mechanic is a good one or not from a gameplay perspective is a separate issue.

Ummm Im sorry I thought the game was meant to be immersive. Hey i guess beating a animal near death over and over again to tame it makes sense to you because thats the world you live in. Just like i complained about the lack of water in the game till they finally made it rain on the lawless servers. This game is soooooo bad and is so far removed from logic its a running joke all over the internet. Go ahead defend that!

15 minutes ago, Scorpionshawn said:

Ummm Im sorry I thought the game was meant to be immersive. Hey i guess beating a animal near death over and over again to tame it makes sense to you because thats the world you live in. Just like i complained about the lack of water in the game till they finally made it rain on the lawless servers. This game is soooooo bad and is so far removed from logic its a running joke all over the internet. Go ahead defend that!

Again, no one is saying your arguements about the mechanic are bad, just that what the Op is arguing is about their morality, while your stated arguement seems to be about whether they are good or bad from a gameplay perspective. Your reply broadens the argument to include things no one commented on like rain or immersion. If you want to discuss those specific aspects of the game feel free to join or create threads doing so, but that is clearly not what this thread is about.

Also please don’t strawman me by implying I’m defending things I haven’t commented on.

23 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Again, no one is saying your arguements about the mechanic are bad, just that what the Op is arguing is about their morality, while your stated arguement seems to be about whether they are good or bad from a gameplay perspective. Your reply broadens the argument to include things no one commented on like rain or immersion. If you want to discuss those specific aspects of the game feel free to join or create threads doing so, but that is clearly not what this thread is about.

Also please don’t strawman me by implying I’m defending things I haven’t commented on.

The mechanic are bad. 

1 minute ago, Scorpionshawn said:

The mechanic are bad. 

I tend to agree. I would have liked to see them pursue something more like Ark’s immersive taming mod. I’d even say the zoology mod, but I think that would be too in depth for a game where the developers have stated tames aren’t the intended focus. Regardless the existing mechanic doesn’t impress me much.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jean Lafitte said:

They need to make seals tamable.

Killing_fur_seals,_St_Paul_Island.jpg

So wrong and yet so hilarious.

4 minutes ago, Percieval said:

What part of the game do you like? 

Assuming he isn’t a masochist who enjoys playing games he hates is very narrow minded of you.

#masochistgamersmatter

5 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

very narrow minded

Communication always needs to be on the same kind of level. 

5 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

So wrong and yet so hilarious.

Assuming he isn’t a masochist who enjoys playing games he hates is very narrow minded of you.

#masochistgamersmatter

Actually in my country there's a whole debate going on about people like OP. 

We have some traditions in our country they want to see extinct because they find these ultra small tiny reasons why it shouldn't be here because it's "cruel" or "racist". Luckily for us, most of the country has some kind of sense into them so these 'cryers' don't get the upperhand. That's how you help a country to shit. Same goes here. Can it be better? sure. But that doesn't mean this one is anything the OP said above. 

Some people just want to see the world burn.

Edited by Percieval

6 hours ago, Coggage said:

It's pixels.

I think this is just wrong.

Not about if OP is right or wrong,but my idea is that a products promotes whatever it is.

Its only a song,Its only a book,its only this its only that not reality dont really matter here.

If I make a game promoting slavery,thats what it will be promoting.but its only pixels! not real man! see where this sink into zero meaning?

If I make a game promoting throwing stones on others is that ok? cause only pixels?

Whatever the media be,it may promote anything,and as that its a power full tool.

As for the psychological ramifications etc im not expert.

But hiding behind the sentence:"Its just a game" Is really wrong and ignorant in my eyes.

Whatever the media,it will have an effect in real life,and it may enable or it may not,negative behavior.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, darcek said:

I think this is just wrong.

Some things are beyond the pale, obviously, but I bet they have no qualms about killing the animals for food, resources or XP.  Nope, they'll happily exterminate them all day long on that basis. As such, they are hypocrites who like to pointlessly nitpick and treat animals as pixels when it suits them and as "real" animals when it doesn't.  Their whole argument about "animal cruelty" is rendered pathetic.

I bet killing player characters doesn't bother them though?  😄  I wonder how many games they play where human player characters and humanoid NPCs are mown down by the dozen on a routine basis?  See, the thing is, THEY are just pixels too.  Rational adults can discriminate between fantasy and reality.  Cool, huh?

Edited by Coggage

Actually I pick and choose what I kill in the game. There are animals and human NPCs that I just don't kill. Rational adults can decide on morality even in a video game. As for killing other players, in PVP no problem. That is what it is intended for. Apparently you don't like it when others voice an opinion other than yours.I started the post and simply stated that  I find the taming distasteful and not very immersive. Evidently, you like beating animals. It's all good bro. That's just you I guess. 

• Like 2

Because ARK's knocking them out and force feeding them food made from the eggs of other animals(Even herbivores ) was so much better.  At least taming in Atlas is more active.  In ARK you knock them out fill their inventory with their desired food and walk away for a while, only checking back periodically to make sure they were still knocked out.