XLR

Basic Atlas Tutorial

This is the tutorial given the first time you join a server in Atlas. In case people need it, here it is :

WELCOME TO ATLAS

Hello there, and welcome to ATLAS! Thank you so much for joining us in this crazy adventure, there's a lot to see, so please take a few moments to read these tutorial texts. The world of ATLAS is a huge, dangerous place. It is full of opportunity, betrayal, conquest, collapse, adventure, friendship, struggle, loss, and glorious battle. Whatever you are here for, be it to start a massive, sprawling trade network; see the world, and chart its seas; defeat great enemies and uncover secrets; rule over a vast empire, or find yourself a soldier of fortune, please remember these four founding pillars as you start out : Survive, Explore, Adventure. Build. These are the foundation on which the world was built, and are the core of your experience here in the world.

Now, go ahead and walk out of the town you start in, and find some bushes, rocks, and tress. Press [E] to harvest the bushes, or use [LeftMouseButton] to punch and harvest the trees or rocks around you. These will be the basic resources you need to make some very general tools and get you started. Once you see the big "You have gained a level up!" prompt at the top of your screen, it's time to level up! You can press to open your inventory, and toss some points in a stat. Health or Weight is good. Then, go on over to the skill tree (you can see the tab for skills up at the top of your screen) and grab the skill "The Basics" from the Survivalism skill tree.

The first things you'll want to craft are the Stone Pick, the Stone Hatchet, and all of the Cloth Armor. Consider a torch and campfire for staying warm and seeing once night-time comes around. Equipping items can be done by double-clicking on a weapon or piece of armor, and it'll be equipped to your hotbar to use them once they're equipped. Kill anything small and helpless-- chickens, rabbits, turtles. Be Careful around parrots, flying creatures, and anything bigger than you. You'll get hide and pelt from them that is needed to get off the freeport island. You can harvest them whit your pick or your axe to get more meat or hide respectively.

Keep an eye on your vitamin levels, and if they get too low, eat some food! All edible food in ATLAS has an icon on it that shows which vitamins it restores. You want to stay balanced as much as you can, as there are large bonuses for players who keep their vitamins in equilibrium. Becoming too low or too high in any given vitamin will cause certain debuffs to impact you. If you find yourself dying and aren't sure why, check your vitamin levels. Don't forget to put wood in your campfire and cook the meat you find! You will want both animal and fish meat, so find the sign near the town you started in that says "WATER". Follow the arrow, and you'll find fresh water & fish you can catch.

You are starting the game on a Freeport! Freeport towns are essentially "starter" towns, where PvP (Player vs Player) combat is disabled, creatures are more plentiful and non aggressive, resources respawn very quickly, and other restrictions are in place to prevent building and claiming land. You want to leave the freeport AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! While on a freeport, you cannot level beyond level 8, you can't build your own buildings or most structures, and you have no access to most of the game's content. LEAVING A FREEPORT IS EASY, BUT PLEASE PREPARE BEFORE YOU GO. There is an NPC in every freeport town that will sell you a raft for cheap-- find them on the docks, and just press [E] to talk to them.

I suggest for each person riding on your raft:

- 20 Pieces of both Fish and Animal Meat,

- 50 Pices of some kinds of Berry/Fruit,

- 50 Pieces of some Wild Vegetables,

- 5 Full Waterskins,

- At LEAST level 5.

You can keep the supplies on your person, or you can unlock the "Construction and Mercantilism" discipline from your skill tree, and learn to craft small storage boxes, which is also a really good idea!

Pressing [M] will allow you to bring up your map, which fills itself out automatically as you travel. Make note that there is both a fog of war, and a shroud of war-- the Fog covers things you've never seen before, and the shroud hides any activity that might be taking place outside of your view. Note that you can see where you are, how you're moving, and that you have a compass in hand to get your bearings. You can use it to try and navigate, or just trust the wind.

You will know you've left a freeport server as soon as you see a message letting you know you're transferring to a new server. Once you're on the new server, all bets are off.

Now that you're out of the freeport region, what do you do!? Well, here's a thought for the next phase of your adventure, Pathfinder: find patch of land, and make it your own. On your [F1] key, there's a "claim flag" which you can place down to start claiming the land around you. Once you've found a cozy beach, go ahead and start claiming it! As long as nobody already owns it, the process is automatic, and you just have to hang around the flag for a while while it captures. Claim areas are fairly generous, and as long as you own an area, you can build whatever you want in it. For now, you should only need one or at most two of them.

At this point, your main goal should be to ditch that stinky raft, and build yourself a small forward base-- the ultimate goal would be building a small shipyard, found in the "Seamanship" skill tree, under the "Shipwright" skill. The Sloop is your first real ship, and building it is going to take a bit of time and effort--hope you've brought friends! One other very important note, if you open your inventory and take a look at the Quest Log tab, you'll see there is already a task available to you. Hidden throughout the world of ATLAS, there are Power Stones, ancient artifacts that tie Pathfinders to the greater secrets of the world, and the compass you hold in hand.

Remember that exploring and visiting new islands will reveal Discovery Zones! These will give you XP bonuses, and also raise your max XP cap, allowing you to earn more levels. Yes, this means you MUST EXPLORE THE WORLD TO RAISE YOUR LEVEL! There is a massive skill tree to explore, full of special Feats which you can access with [G], that give you new powers, skills, a huge number of craftable items; swords and shields, firearms, cannons, ships, food and recipes, structures, ammo etc. You can reset your stats and skills using an icon in the inventory , so don't be afraid to experiment a little! You can make mistakes!

THE END

Some of the text on 2 pages of the tutorial were croped out so it was impossible to transcribe it, sorry...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

How do you get sap to fish with? There's nothing in game. If you can make a fishing rod you should know how to get the sap.

25 minutes ago, Lonster said:

How do you get sap to fish with? There's nothing in game. If you can make a fishing rod you should know how to get the sap.

Look for big trees. Sap is normally next to them. They are much bigger than the normal trees. Huge roots. 

• Thanks 2

I've explored so many zones already sailing my stupid raft and STILL I am getting the message saying I need to leave the freeeport.  What am i doing wrong???

I've got a question, Yesterday I tried to build a SChooner and a Sloop thing is... that once the crafting starts and it finishes the ship doesnt appear (Not even the skeleton of the ship to start building it) So I'm wandering if I'm doing something wrong or if there is any special way to build it... Since I build the Small Shipyard then I choose the Sloop or the Schooner (Having all the mats in the inventory of the Shipyard) The crafting time runs up and the ship doesnt appear, anybody else had this problem?

Thank you in advance.

6 hours ago, BlackRiver said:

how to drink whater???

Near the starter spawn point is a freshwater pool. Follow the “water” signs and you’ll find it.

To drink, submerge yourself a little bit and press [E]. 

If you took the water bearer skill, you can craft water skins. You can fill those as well by placing theming your action bar and pressing that button while slightly submerged. When you hover over them while in inventory view, they should show 100/100.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, BoaRo said:

How would you add members to your company?

You need to find your friend then hold E on them. There is an option to add them to your company. They need to be at least level 3 to join it.

18 hours ago, Bella1975 said:

so what do the power stones actually do?

Power stones are artifacts that you need to collect, when you collect the 9 powers stones there is an event you SHOULD do with other people to kill a special monster. I don't know more about it because I haven't done it xD

Edited by XLR

On 12/24/2018 at 10:29 AM, JdizzleHD said:

I've explored so many zones already sailing my stupid raft and STILL I am getting the message saying I need to leave the freeeport.  What am i doing wrong???

Probably a problem coming from Atlas, ask it in the bug/report category!

On 12/24/2018 at 12:34 PM, Cpt.Kaio said:

I've got a question, Yesterday I tried to build a SChooner and a Sloop thing is... that once the crafting starts and it finishes the ship doesnt appear (Not even the skeleton of the ship to start building it) So I'm wandering if I'm doing something wrong or if there is any special way to build it... Since I build the Small Shipyard then I choose the Sloop or the Schooner (Having all the mats in the inventory of the Shipyard) The crafting time runs up and the ship doesnt appear, anybody else had this problem?

Thank you in advance.

I think it's a problem coming from Atlas. Try to ask that in the bug/report category in the forum!

What happens when I log off - Is my raft floating out there and able to be destroyed and is my character still vulnerable? Is it best to log off in a base?
Thanks for any answers 👍

2 hours ago, Forbidden_T3K said:

What happens when I log off - Is my raft floating out there and able to be destroyed and is my character still vulnerable? Is it best to log off in a base?
Thanks for any answers 👍

Depends on if you are on PvE or PvP. You raft will be there on both. PvP your character will be vunerable, but not on PvE

• Like 2

On 12/24/2018 at 12:47 AM, XLR said:

LEAVING A FREEPORT IS EASY, BUT PLEASE PREPARE BEFORE YOU GO. There is an NPC in every freeport town that will sell you a raft for cheap

Please mention that you lose your inventory on death and the freeports are crowded with new players contesting every animal you kill.

I recommend an edit.

On most islands, there is no need to punch trees and rocks. You can pick up loose stones on the beach to get your stone, you can harvest from saplings (thin trees, about 10 feet/3m tall; normally surrounding the taller trees).

Punching is suboptimal and since you'll need to heal, much slower than just gathering the individual resources with the 'e' key.

14 hours ago, Shalmon said:

Please mention that you lose your inventory on death and the freeports are crowded with new players contesting every animal you kill.

9 hours ago, Ankhwearer said:

I recommend an edit.

On most islands, there is no need to punch trees and rocks. You can pick up loose stones on the beach to get your stone, you can harvest from saplings (thin trees, about 10 feet/3m tall; normally surrounding the taller trees).

Punching is suboptimal and since you'll need to heal, much slower than just gathering the individual resources with the 'e' key.

It seems that the post is to popular now to be edited, i don't have the option, sorry 😢

10 hours ago, Ankhwearer said:

I recommend an edit.

UPDATE : Made another topic including your informations, please check it 😉

Can someone please explain how to craft grog...i've added the ingredients to the water barrel but nothings popping up...no craft icon...i have the stout liver

engram