Dragonchampion

Problems in v11, and solutions I would like to see done (Personal Musings)

So, I'm trying to make a comprehensive list, and did my best to think of quality, difficulty, and how I assume the devs want this game to continue. I don't pretend to be a dev, but I do want to see this game become great. SO just wanted to give my musings and thoughts on different aspects.

Part 1: Survival
Right now, Survival is in a decent spot, and vitamins are dealable if you take the vitamin consumption perks in the Survival tree. It's not that hard to find vegetables, berries, fish and meat, so it's relatively simple to keep your vitamins up once you know how. However, there's a pretty bad thing right now, which leads us to our first point.

Problem 1: Creatures
It doesn't matter if you're lategame or early game, creatures are an issue. Their damage is very high even at low levels, and the carnivores overspawn. They are often faster than humans, and have skills and abilities that can completely make any battle with them one-sided. Tigers and Lions have the grab, Snakes have torpor, Crocs have their aquatic speed, Wolves are fast and can attack multiple times. Sure, dying is a part of the game, but when it's to these same mobs over and over, people get frustrated and some even quit. I personally enjoyed the difficulty, but considering I also enjoyed starting a new character level 1 with Annunaki Genesis ARK installed, I may be a bit of a masochist for difficult survival scenarios.

Problem 1 Solution: Creature Spawn Frequency Reduction, Aggro Radius, Neutral Mobs, and Stat Balance
Spawn Reduction. The most simple way to fix this would be to reduce spawns. Yes, everyone says that, so I'm not going to go too far into it. Th problems of reducing spawns, however, would be a lack of meat and, if done willy-nilly, would cause overpopulation and TOO easy of an early game. So, we can go into different methods.

Aggro Radius. As of right now, a reduction in aggro for creatures by 20% would be ideal, and if people want more aggro reduction, they spec into the stealth perks in beastmastery. That would let people sneak around carnivores much easier, and have them not act like player-seeking missiles. This would allow players to keep an eye out for carnivores, and avoid them much easier in the case of stumbling across one; and would make the Jungles of the Isles a dangerous proposition, thanks to the sheer number of trees blocking view.

Neutral Mobs. Right now, Neutral Mobs have a somewhat hard time against carnivores unless they're in massive packs. This should be fixed; maybe give them a bonus when facing snakes or carnivores explicitly. This is possible thanks to ARK's inbuilt systems with the Megatherium, I think it was, which has bonuses against insects. By giving Neutral Mobs the ability to fight back and take down enemies, and not fall to them, it solves the issue about carnivore overspawning and overpopulation. A good example of why it doesn't work right now is I saw a wolf take down three rhinos at once; even at level 25+ a wild wolf should not be able to do that much damage, period.

Stat Balance. All in all, carnivores and creatures in general need balancing. A good start would be to make wild creatures have maybe 15% less HP, and deal 40% less damage currently. Make combat with them require finesse and dodging, but don't make their attacks be near instantaneous death when in light or no armor. Tamed creatures, while we are discussing these, should be innately stronger than untamed ones. a 20% increase to current tamed creature level stats from this current point in time would make tames able to survive fighting their more vicious, feral cousins.

Problem 2: Freeport Level Cap
Freeport levels are low, yes, and I understand they have a cap to encourage people to leave. But level 8 is far, far too small. It makes it so people can't really do much with what they have, and coupled with the problems of freeports other than that, it makes the early game a matter of "when do I leave" instead of "I want to learn the game".

Problem 2 Solution: Raised Level Cap.
I'm not saying it should be raised to something ludicrous, but level 10, or even 12, would be perfect here. It'd give enough levels to really taste the more advancd things, and give new players the ability to survive longer when they do leave freeports. Especially in areas with low or high temperatures, 4 levels worth of fortutude would mean the difference between life and death.

Part 2: The Early Game Life: Making your first large ship and settling down
So you have a Ramshackle Sloop or a Raft, and are leaving the freeport. You are heading out, and making your way to the next square. But, oh no! Passing through the square, and you bump right into a Ship of the Damned! The Ship will butcher you in both a Raft and a Ramshackle Sloop unless you're exceedingly lucky, so you have to head all the way back to the freeport to get another. Or perhaps suddenly you pass through the Barrier, and there's a storm going on in the next hex, which damages and sinks your ship due to a massive amount of Tornados spawning! Ah well. Sure, this is part of the game, but it can be made a bit easier for newbies... and all others as well.

Problem 1: Transitions Bring Death
Right now, there is no way to know if on the other side of the Server Barrier there is clear seas, a Storm, or even a Ship of the Damned waiting for you. This is a huge problem, and while the Storms are a harder thing to deal with, let's first focus on the Ships of the Damned.

Problem 1 Solution: Ship of the Damned Avoidance of Border Walls.
As it is right now, Ship of the Damned AI is set to avoid islands, and will wander back away from them once they lose aggro. This should also be applied for border walls. Any Ship of the Damned within maybe 2-3 Galleons length from a Barrier Wall should go passive, and wander away from it as long as they aren't aggroed. This would reduce the amount of "LoL, you're dead" moments where you spawn in next to a Ship of the Damned.

Problem 2: Storms
Right now, Storms are hectic. Tornados drop as soon as the rains begin, and will hunt down ships unless they are anchored. This is infuriating, since the larger the ship, the more damage it takes, and will sink larger ships, and really cause damage. The water spouts just keep spawning and spawning and spawning, never giving you any respite whatsoever. No calm rain, nothing like that.

Problem 2 Solution: 3 Types of Rainfall
Right now, Storms are the only type of Rain. This should change. There should be 3 types, like there's 3 types of Whale. Light Rain, Heavy Rain, Tempest. Tempest is the current Storm, where it drops multiple tornados down and seems to actively hunt ships. This would be a very rare occurrence, maybe 1 in every 4 times of Heavy Rain. Next is Heavy Rain. It would be a lighter version of the storm, with powerful winds and changing directions, as well as maybe 1 tornado at a time, that is programmed to choose a direction and continue in that direction until dissipation. 1 in 5 Light Rains would become Heavy Rains, but the closer you are to the Equator, the more common they become. FInally, Light Rain. Light Rain has absolutely no tornados, no bad effects; just a light drizzle to refill waterskins and make people wet. And, most importantly... rain should NOT happen in the Tundra. Make a snowstorm instead.

Problem 3: Claims and Land Scarcity
The Neutral claim flags were a great step in a positive direction, but the underlying problems, unfortunately, are still there. Some people refuse neutral building, and these same people got hold of every little bit of land they could before people had even left Lawless yet. This is a huge problem, as people are ending up with nowhere to live. I myself live in a Lawless Region because of this; it lets me have neighbors and help newbies.

Problem 3 Solution: Cap Claim Flags OR Add Maintenance that scales with number of Claim Flags.
Huge companies could farm gold easily with treasure hunts and Flotsam Gathering. So, why not make Claim Flags cost gold to maintain? 1 gold for each claimf lag, and double it for every claim flag above 1 you have. 2 claim flags costs 2 gold per 2 hours (1+1), 3 claim flags costs 4 (1+1+2), 4 claim flags cost 8 (1+1+2+4), 5 claim flags cost 16 (1+1+2+4+8) and so on, so forth, ad infinitum. This would let the big Companies still have their plenty of claims, but would also encourage people to only have 1-2 claim flags they can maintain. If this is not possible, simply limit each person to 1 claim flag. If you're in a company that's big enough, you can claim more land and even whole islands. But a small company shouldn't be able to hold an entire island just cause they spammed it with flags.

Problem 3: Ship Combat
Right now, Combat is risky, dangerous, and can make you lose everything. Which is good! But the problem is, Ship Planks. Ship Planks have ludicrously low amounts of HP, which will die after a few direct hits from a Ship of the Damned, and instantly break against Whales. They should NOT have the little amounts of HP that they currently have; it costs too much to maintain them and keep them operational. A simple battle against a level 5 Ship of the Damned should not be costing you planks, even if you sail haphazardly!

Problem 3 Solution: Double Plank HPs.
It'd be fine if you made planks cost more to compensate for this, but right now, Planks should have double their current HP. It should take a decent bit of damage to completely destroy a plank, not just a couple hits. Ship combat should be a huge thing, with both teams making repairs and hurrying to stations. But right now, 2-3 hits and a plank is gone, just completely. It's ridiculous. So, by doubling plank HP, it will solve a lot of combat issues, and make ship combat far more interesting.

Problem 4: PvE Weight Griefing.
Yeah, not even going into this. EVeryone knows it's a problem, including Jat, so it'll be fixed soon.

Problem 4 Solution: XXXXX
Don't need to give a solution, since they're probably already fixing it or finding a way to.

Problem 5: Ship Carry Weight
The 40% increased weight was a good start. But galleons are still only at around 29k or so. This is a bad thing; it makes it difficult to use the galleon as the massive cityship it's meant to be. Furniture and decorations weigh in, and even beds and supplies cost a lot. To have a good ship, you have to have almost half of its carry weight filled!

Problem 5 Solution: Increase Carry Weight OR Triple Weight Sail Weight Increases.
So the Weight Sail is not currently worth it. The loss of speed just causes a lot of problems. But if we figure in the Weight Sail, this problem could be sovled easily. Just triple the amount of weight that a weight sail gives! It'd help quite a bit, and make weight sails quite important on a lot of cargo ships. This is a pretty easy fix, so I don't quite need to go into the details with this one.

Part 3: Midgame and Lategame: Power Stone Hunting and Ships
Right now, I want to say level 51 feels like a very poor early-game level cap. It should be much higher, maybe 70 or so. This would let people invest more points and head out once they feel that they are ready. Power Stones are dangerous, and pretty much endgame raids. However, as it is right now, the creatures guarding them overspawn, and also cause a lot of havoc otherwise. So, now we go into the next set of problems.

Problem 1: Power Stone Creature Overspawning
This ties with the Creature problem in Part 1. These beasts need tweaking; if the only real way to get a power stone is by doing a naked run into the depths of the cave, then there's something very, very wrong.

Problem 1 Solution: Stronger Weaponry
Currently, weapons (Especially guns) are a total sham. They don't deal nearly enough damage for their investment. A good rifle or pistol should be killing things in 1 hit for a rifle and MAYBE 2 for a pistol. As it is right now, creatures are much too strong against all forms of damage that a player can do. And because the Power Stone Caves are caves, and enclosed, ships can't support with harpoons, either. This is a large issue, and hopefully, will be fixed eventually.

Problem 2: Lack of Ship Options
So this is more of a personal preference thing. But right now we have 4 sizes of ship. Sloop, Schooner, Brig, and Galleon. However, there's so many more ship types that can be used! Of course, this would be a huge amount of work for the devs, so I am a bit adverse to saying.

Problem 2 Solution: 2 New Ship Types
I feel that 2 new ship types would be perfect. 1 between Brig and Galleon, the Frigate, modeled after the Ship of the Line used by the English in the 16th century and would be between the Brig and Galleon. And finally, the Caravel, which would be a stop between the Schooner and Brig, and would handle more cargo than the others, but have less masts. It'd be a good build for those not wanting combat, but instead more of a merchant or cargo vessel, perfect for supporting ships.

Problem 3: Risk and Reward for SOTD Piracy
Right now, Ships of the Damned drop some blueprints, and 10-20 coins. This is absolutely, positively ridiculously stupid.  Even a level 1 Ship of the Damned can deal 500 wood, 500 Thatch, 500 Fiber, and 100 Metal worth of damage to a ship in the course of a single combat. The payout you MIGHT get is absolutely foolish. There is no reward to sinking Ships of the Damned other than a RNG-based blueprint set.

Problem 3 Solution: Increase Rewards
Level 1-10 should give Fine and Journeyman blueprints, and 200-400 gold. Level 11-20 should give Legendary and Masterwork Blueprints, and 800-1000 Gold. And finally, level 21+ SOTD NEED to give 1100+ gold and Legendary and Mythic Quality blueprints. The reward for sinking these ships needs to be increased by a factor of 10.

And so that's my views currently on several of the most common problems i have experienced, and how to fix them. I know it's not a comprehensive list or even really including a lot of the bugs out there, but this was mostly to post my views on the game as I have played so far. I have 250 hours in this game, and plan on just as much in the future, so I eagerly await the next changes and patches that will be coming down the pipeline!

Thanks for all your hard work, ATLAS dev team!

Edited by Dragonchampion
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Yeah I can agree with all of this. 

Although the raising freeport level cap is kinda unneeded if they ever get lawless islands into the transitional state they're meant to be IMO.  Freeport for tutorial ->  Lawless to build your first ship and stock it ->  Onward into the world to find a company to join or become a renter somewhere.  Although personally I'd rather be a ship living nomad, but whatever maybe someday.

This is huge... and think agreeding to almost everything, almost.

1. Animals are realy overspawning, or... that's dependand a bit also on the islands, for example living on a island that have 3 wolves per minute spawn, was realy considering yesterday to spec into pukle gun and put crew on them just to be safe finally...

The damage is not that bad since they made armor actualy work, however, their attack speed, movement speed, trash AI and super abilities make them pain and unfun to play on top of the radiculous overspawn, not saying that want 50 horses in one place bcs passives also overspawn... but com'on, atleast let us cut a tree without being bitten, mauled, thrown, munched or whatever all the time. They also made guns suck which means we always take damage from anything that is faster than player, a wolf, lion, tiger, those things will take half hp alone before killing them unless having a carine which is the only remaining gun which can one-shot a low lvl predator, something with 20+ lvl will survive even a carbine.

(Btw, if being "that" masochistic, maybe come to our island, would gladly have something/someone who destroys those wolves, tbh this game makes us slowly hate any animals bcs of how infuirating they are in here)

2. Yeah, also would love the whales and SoDs to go away from the borders, have yet to die from such encounter but already took damage bcs of spawning right next to them. This is one of and a main reason why not using our solo made schooner, we bet we just gonna teleport next to a red SoD or inside one or on top of a whale and all this work going down. We get attached to things easly, we consider that ship our second home if that would be even possible (unfortunely not) so wilt not touch our Eternal Night untill those things atleast stop camping the borders.

SoDs also make walls, there is too many of them, they should be made more rare but stronger, for example a 1-3 low lvl, 1-2 medium and 0-1 high lvl SoDs roaming a grid, that's all, right now, there is so many that if want to fight one, there's surely 5 more nearby and if wnt to get arround them prepare to go in direction that is against plans and waste half hour to 1 hour just to go thro this ocean maze.

Storms and rains are a cool idea to separate them, also though today about what if not all rains were full of tornados..., tbh they are annoying, not bcs of dmg or number bcs that's possible to navigate thro them most of the time but bcs they are constantly thrown into our face, we passed all of them?, well, have another 5+ in front, enjoy.

Whales yeah, the one-shotting is so stupid, that's like being too slow means just suicide and respawn at home just to not waste time bcs there is no way to survive whale if it agroes and is faster. Was hit only once by whale, by some magic didn't take any damage (it was 1 week after launch tho) so there's that, atleast give us a chance to escape insteed of being either 0% or 100% prepared for encounter.

Planks have tiny hp, agree they have laughable durability and make for a 10+ cannons per ship boring combat, however in suggestion that have made days ago put not 2x more hp but even up to 5x, it might however to slightly radiculous knowing galleon planks have 12k hp but well, atleast the battle would be worth of a tale. The 5x idea was with increase, not decreasein ships prices in mind so it would be balanced out with quality insteed of quantity, don't wanna rebuild ships after few battles or an ambush, wanna a swimming citatel. Also proposed there different kinds of planks as light which would be designed to move faster at the cost of less hp and heavy plated which would be... very heavy causing ship to be slow but have slightly more hp and big damage resistance. Those types of planks together with the standard ones we have now would create a variety in ship building.

Not having problem with the carry weight, especialy that they increased it but yeah, the galleon should be a floating city housing 50-100 players possibly.

3. Since the nerf to guns not using guns ever, blunderbuss is in the chest, pistols are used only to kill vultures or annoying sharks/manta rays that after agroing doesn' want to get off from our shipyard and very rarely to sometimes snipe a lion from long range since bow have a fall off, otherwise using our trusty bow which is better in every single aspect than any gun, except slightly less burst dmg, it does like 30% less burst dmg or something, but we can shoot it 10 times in time the pistol reloads. Also agree having more different types of weapons would be fun to play with.

Agree that there could be more ship options to choose from, right now it kinda feels empty.

8 hours ago, Dragonchampion said:

Added a new thing to the bottom about Ship of the Damned rewards.

Yeah, the rewrd for them is just as bad as for grabbing a flotsam. Howev er, aren't they the oly way to get ship bps?, if so, maybe that's the point of them..., however still the amount of gold is not enough to propably even hire 1 of those floating crew AI in the water, let alone all of them.

Oh also, if the dev will read this post again (seen him do that yesterday), just know, had to abandon a jounrye... to literaly a neighbour grid bcs there was a 10+ wall of SoDs coverin the entire way south, there was literaly no way to go arround them and when was comming bakc home to anchor and disconnect from disgust, the game spawned a storm for extra stuff to dodge. Is there ANY way in this game to travel anywhere without having 5-10 cannons ready to fire at stuff..., just getting tired tha this game is about exploration, but can't even leave the damn home grid.

I agree with all of this. 

And lately with the v11 patch my performance has taken a hit when it rains.. before it wasn't that bad but now.. it is a serious drop.

this is a great post. Just one thing to add.

It's negative temps in the tundra. Why is it raining at all? it should be snowing. 😄

Thanks for taking the time to not only think all of this through but type up your thoughts and offer the input with perspective and underlying reasoning for your suggestions. There is a lot of quality insight here and everything is clearly and concisely communicated. I particularly liked when you stated early on that you liked a challenge but then provide the Annukai Genesis reference to show how the level of challenge you personally prefer is higher than most players. I feel like this helps create context and a reference point for any devs reading it, which hopefully some will. Once again well done.

Edited by boomervoncannon

1 minute ago, boomervoncannon said:

Thanks for taking the time to not only think all of this through but type up your thoughts and offer the input with perspective and underlying reasoning for your suggestions. There is a lot of quality insight here and everything is clearly and concisely communicated. I particularly liked when you stated early on that you liked a challenge but then provide the Annukai Genesis reference to show how the level of challenge you personally prefer is higher than most players. I feel like this helps create context and a regency point for any devs reading it, which hopefully some will. Once again well done.

Jat did read it yesterday (was just curious about his posts and noticed he was reading this post... that's how discovered this post even existed) so let's just hope he wilt do something about the info here.

4 minutes ago, Nightstrasza said:

Jat did read it yesterday (was just curious about his posts and noticed he was reading this post... that's how discovered this post even existed) so let's just hope he wilt do something about the info here.

Excellent.

• Like 1

I agree with everything OP has said and I have one thing I myself would like to add. 

Creature physics needs some serious work. A giant snake last night managed to poke its head through my wood walls and kill me and several others while inside our house. Like wise, a way I have been dealing with wolfs is to run outside and aggro them, run back in the house and shut the door. The wolfs will glitch their heads into my house and I can safely shoot them with a bow and arrows. Its cheap but its the only way to survive a wolf pack.. So maybe work on the physics of wolfs (and all other animals too)

1 minute ago, MrParanoid42 said:

I agree with everything OP has said and I have one thing I myself would like to add. 

Creature physics needs some serious work. A giant snake last night managed to poke its head through my wood walls and kill me and several others while inside our house. Like wise, a way I have been dealing with wolfs is to run outside and aggro them, run back in the house and shut the door. The wolfs will glitch their heads into my house and I can safely shoot them with a bow and arrows. Its cheap but its the only way to survive a wolf pack.. So maybe work on the physics of wolfs (and all other animals too)

Shhh, untill they reduce spawn rates by like 90% don't tell them, tis the only way other than swimming in the ocean all the time.

On 1/13/2019 at 1:51 AM, Dragonchampion said:

Problem 1 Solution: Creature Spawn Frequency Reduction, Aggro Radius, Neutral Mobs, and Stat Balance
Spawn Reduction. The most simple way to fix this would be to reduce spawns. Yes, everyone says that, so I'm not going to go too far into it. Th problems of reducing spawns, however, would be a lack of meat and, if done willy-nilly, would cause overpopulation and TOO easy of an early game. So, we can go into different methods

The spawn rate is already reduced if theres many structures around, since structures block respawns. I didnt encounter much problems to avoid animals. Wolves are slow in water. You can sprint away from snakes and stuff. Even after the first bite.

Problem 2: Freeport Level Cap
Freeport levels are low, yes, and I understand they have a cap to encourage people to leave. But level 8 is far, far too small. It makes it so people can't really do much with what they have, and coupled with the problems of freeports other than that, it makes the early game a matter of "when do I leave" instead of "I want to learn the game".

Freeport is the area to learn the very first basics. The game doesnt change a lot after level 8. Gather stuff, craft stuff. On level 8, you have enough skillpoints to obtain every skill you need to survive. Imagine the freeports after release/possible serverwipes if players could stay there longer to gain more levels. I wouldnt even mind if the level cap would be 10 or 12, but its always the same way: If its level 8, someone will ask for lvl 12 instead. If it was lvl 12 already - guess what? Someone will come up with the idea to raise it to 15, and so on, and so on.

Problem 1: Transitions Bring Death
Right now, there is no way to know if on the other side of the Server Barrier there is clear seas, a Storm, or even a Ship of the Damned waiting for you. This is a huge problem, and while the Storms are a harder thing to deal with, let's first focus on the Ships of the Damned.

Havent seen any SotD near borders after travelling to another server for ages. The first days after ea release, it was a horror. SotDs everywhere, huge aggro range. The situation has become way better.
The aggro range for rafts is so freaking small. I, personally, even managed to just sail away after getting aggroed by a SotD. Didnt encounter any SotD right behind server border since a few patches so far.

Problem 2: Storms
Right now, Storms are hectic. Tornados drop as soon as the rains begin, and will hunt down ships unless they are anchored. This is infuriating, since the larger the ship, the more damage it takes, and will sink larger ships, and really cause damage. The water spouts just keep spawning and spawning and spawning, never giving you any respite whatsoever. No calm rain, nothing like that.

tbh, i never lost a ship in a storm. Not even the ramshackle sloop, which already has reduced HP...

Problem 3: Ship Combat
Right now, Combat is risky, dangerous, and can make you lose everything. Which is good! But the problem is, Ship Planks. Ship Planks have ludicrously low amounts of HP, which will die after a few direct hits from a Ship of the Damned, and instantly break against Whales. They should NOT have the little amounts of HP that they currently have; it costs too much to maintain them and keep them operational. A simple battle against a level 5 Ship of the Damned should not be costing you planks, even if you sail haphazardly!

i was really afraid of the SotD. But after the first fight, i was just laughing. To be honest, and from my own experience: If you cant manage to survive the attack of a lvl 5 SotD, you just have to learn. In our crew, we have just ONE person repairing, if too many dmg comes in. and especially against low lvl SotD, we never encountered any problems. If you make it too easy, people dont learn from their mistakes. Its not a huge problem to repair your ship between the attacks. If you already sail around with 50% hp planks, the mistake is on your side, not on the side of the AI. If you have good winds, you can even dodge their cannon shots or force them to shoot from higher angles, so they gonna hit your 40.000 hp deck, instead of your 5000 hp planks.

Such low lvl SotD are only able to blast your planks if they were damaged already, or if nobody repairs them between the hits - AND if you just go full broadside, like a lemming.

Problem 5 Solution: Increase Carry Weight OR Triple Weight Sail Weight Increases.
So the Weight Sail is not currently worth it. The loss of speed just causes a lot of problems. But if we figure in the Weight Sail, this problem could be sovled easily. Just triple the amount of weight that a weight sail gives! It'd help quite a bit, and make weight sails quite important on a lot of cargo ships. This is a pretty easy fix, so I don't quite need to go into the details with this one.

Nice idea. BUT.... increasing the amount of weight carrieable with weight sails would just result in high-end equipped galleons that are not used for trades, but just for PvP. And im pretty sure people would use that for their own effort. Tons of cannons on deck and stuff. PLUS: your ships get experience, which can be put into more weight. Be honest to yourself: do you really think players would use that feature to sail around with freighters?

Problem 2 Solution: 2 New Ship Types
I feel that 2 new ship types would be perfect. 1 between Brig and Galleon, the Frigate, modeled after the Ship of the Line used by the English in the 16th century and would be between the Brig and Galleon. And finally, the Caravel, which would be a stop between the Schooner and Brig, and would handle more cargo than the others, but have less masts. It'd be a good build for those not wanting combat, but instead more of a merchant or cargo vessel, perfect for supporting ships.

I totally second that, but i´d prefer smaller ships that could easily be handled by soloers. Especially a smaller ship than a sloop.

Problem 3 Solution: Increase Rewards
Level 1-10 should give Fine and Journeyman blueprints, and 200-400 gold. Level 11-20 should give Legendary and Masterwork Blueprints, and 800-1000 Gold. And finally, level 21+ SOTD NEED to give 1100+ gold and Legendary and Mythic Quality blueprints. The reward for sinking these ships needs to be increased by a factor of 10.

Nope. Absolutely nope. You totally ignore another feature: NPC´s. And you ignore a second feature: Ship exp. You already get the advantage to sail a ship totally on your own, full of NPCs, making it possible to hunt down other ships SOLO. 800-1000 gold? really? for what? 2 players, a ships full of NPCs, and youre done. You can farm tons of gold that way. Regarding the costs of NPCs, even a small company of 5 would easily be able to afford a base, fully defended by NPCs at cannons, mortars and swivel guns. In combination with the current possible use of such defenses, attackers wont even be able to snipe the NPCs.
Nah, nobody wants to raid a base where all players are offline, but an army of NPCs defends the shit the whole day.

6 hours ago, Nightstrasza said:

Yeah, I linked it to him on Discord... glad he read it!

On 1/12/2019 at 6:51 PM, Dragonchampion said:

Problem 3: Claims and Land Scarcity
The Neutral claim flags were a great step in a positive direction, but the underlying problems, unfortunately, are still there. Some people refuse neutral building, and these same people got hold of every little bit of land they could before people had even left Lawless yet. This is a huge problem, as people are ending up with nowhere to live. I myself live in a Lawless Region because of this; it lets me have neighbors and help newbies.

Problem 3 Solution: Cap Claim Flags OR Add Maintenance that scales with number of Claim Flags.
Huge companies could farm gold easily with treasure hunts and Flotsam Gathering. So, why not make Claim Flags cost gold to maintain? 1 gold for each claimf lag, and double it for every claim flag above 1 you have. 2 claim flags costs 2 gold per 2 hours (1+1), 3 claim flags costs 4 (1+1+2), 4 claim flags cost 8 (1+1+2+4), 5 claim flags cost 16 (1+1+2+4+8) and so on, so forth, ad infinitum. This would let the big Companies still have their plenty of claims, but would also encourage people to only have 1-2 claim flags they can maintain. If this is not possible, simply limit each person to 1 claim flag. If you're in a company that's big enough, you can claim more land and even whole islands. But a small company shouldn't be able to hold an entire island just cause they spammed it with flags.

Ya, go ahead and cut the solo's throat just a bit more.

First of all, I don't think you understand just how small a claim area actually is.  If large numbers of claims weren't made with the intent of protecting resources, you'd have people dropping claims and single foundations with a bed in the middle of island just to prevent resources from spawning thus griefing those that do live by the shore (oh wait, they're already doing that on lawless... hmmmm).  Furthermore, you'd have companies claiming the centers of islands with no intent of even living on those islands, just to tax the resources of those who do live there.  What makes you think everyone wants to do treasures/floatsam?  I do not. So now you want me to take time out of what I do enjoy, subject me to SotD or AotD, and force me into gold farming  just to maintain my claim?  Sorry, but there's just too many opportunities to grief with your proposed system.

Now, if I could sell the resources I collect for gold to pay for claims, I'd do  that.  But one BLATANT thing you've left out of your list of problems is trading.  Tossing shit on the ground and hoping the other player does the same is not trading.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Jean Lafitte said:

Ya, go ahead and cut the solo's throat just a bit more.

First of all, I don't think you understand just how small a claim area actually is.  If large numbers of claims weren't made with the intent of protecting resources, you'd have people dropping claims and single foundations with a bed in the middle of island just to prevent resources from spawning thus griefing those that do live by the shore (oh wait, they're already doing that on lawless... hmmmm).  Furthermore, you'd have companies claiming the centers of islands with no intent of even living on those islands, just to tax the resources of those who do live there.  What makes you think everyone wants to do treasures/floatsam?  I do not. So now you want me to take time out of what I do enjoy, subject me to SotD or AotD, and force me into gold farming  just to maintain my claim?  Sorry, but there's just too many opportunities to grief with your proposed system.

Now, if I could sell the resources I collect for gold to pay for claims, I'd do  that.  But one BLATANT thing you've left out of your list of problems is trading.  Tossing shit on the ground and hoping the other player does the same is not trading.

Agree that the gold cost for claims is bs. However, claims being small?, somehow with 2 flags never ran out of space, got so much space that propably 2 more ppl could fit into 1 flag, let alone into 2 of them, the sizes are fine, they give enough to build and have some personal space arround.

you forgot about how some resources like Salt .... I mean salt...Shit Sea salt....Exist.   Even cave man living on island figure out that if you boil water you get salt and fresh water.  DURRRRRRR I am so dumb....It like They dont know how real island life is like .    they just Threw a bunch of city folk and said here lets figure out how to make island survival in a kiddy pool.   They dont want to release dev kit because i bet they are scared that we modder would actually make a decent game outta this shit.  sorry for Rant but its like what you pointed out its out of balance in every way 

although on the claim flag... I do agree with The 1 person per flag in a clan only but not on the gold maintenance because of the sole fact that we have to pay crew and that already drains bank crazy due to how low of gold reward we are given.    

17 hours ago, Nightstrasza said:

Agree that the gold cost for claims is bs. However, claims being small?, somehow with 2 flags never ran out of space, got so much space that propably 2 more ppl could fit into 1 flag, let alone into 2 of them, the sizes are fine, they give enough to build and have some personal space arround.

You obviously live in a city.  If I can stand on my front porch and piss on a neighbor's house, you're too fucking close.