Sign in to follow this  
Deviliath

Quad Socket 40 Core 80 Threads?

@Jatheish I have a quad socket 40 core 80 thread server. When I start up the maps, they only utilize 20 cores. That's all the startup log recognizes, and also confirmed being used in task manager. Is there a fix or a tweak to change this? I tried -useallavailablecores and that does not work. If there is no fix or settings to fix this, are you guys planning on furthering multi-core support in the future? Right now most of the rendering is dedicated to one core if I am not mistaken.

Edited by Deviliath

7 hours ago, Deviliath said:

@Jatheish I have a quad socket 40 core 80 thread server. When I start up the maps, they only utilize 20 cores. That's all the startup log recognizes, and also confirmed being used in task manager. Is there a fix or a tweak to change this? I tried -useallavailablecores and that does not work. If there is no fix or settings to fix this, are you guys planning on furthering multi-core support in the future? Right now most of the rendering is dedicated to one core if I am not mistaken.

It's a bit like a bus, if your bus has 40 seats and 20 passengers the nsome seats will have to be empty.  It's not really possible to cut the passengers in half just to use up all the seats.

So, if you have more than enough cores that all the servers required threads are taken care of then some will have nothing to do. 

1 hour ago, Nelson Sandalwood said:

It's a bit like a bus, if your bus has 40 seats and 20 passengers the nsome seats will have to be empty.  It's not really possible to cut the passengers in half just to use up all the seats.

So, if you have more than enough cores that all the servers required threads are taken care of then some will have nothing to do. 

I don't think you are understanding.....you know when you start up a server it tells you core count? Well....mine will only go to 20 even though I have 40. 

3 hours ago, Atlasprime said:

may have to utilize virtualization 

Yeah, I thought of that too.  

2 hours ago, Jordiii said:

Maybe you did not activate Hyperthreading in your settings.

Hyperthreading is just utilizing virtual cores in most cases doubling logical processors. Half of his physical cores are not utilized. 

13 hours ago, Atlasprime said:

Hyperthreading is just utilizing virtual cores in most cases doubling logical processors. Half of his physical cores are not utilized. 

That is correct. I wish I knew a setting or something. LOL

Virtualization is the way to go with that much hardware. Most programs will not be able to utilize that core count outside of medical/scientific research.

Split your grid into smaller groups of zones and run them in VMs with 8-16 cores assigned to them so you can split the load over all of your available hardware.

I have my production 3x3 server running in Windows Server 2012 R2 on ProxMox Hypervisor, and my test 3x3 server is running Windows Server 2016 in XCP-ng Hypervisor. Both run very good. I believe there are also people running in ESXi hypervisor, but I haven't taken the time to test that myself.

What operating system are you using?  There are windows licensing and hard limits with both windows 10 and Windows server 2016 changed to core count licensing last year.

On 1/16/2019 at 7:47 AM, smooreace said:

Its called AFFINITY. Use it

Agree, that's the way to go if the game won't automatically utilise your additional cores or sockets.

Edited by Shadowsong

As I mentioned a Quad CPU server requires additionally licensing it will startup but windows won't use all 4 w/o licensing and Windows 10 doesn't support more than 2 CPUs at all unless you have that special Workstation version