Sign in to follow this  
Kimsey

How am i supposed to claim land?

How am i supposed to claim when the declaiming timer is 6 hours, and i cant keep randoms from walking through?

Seriously, this mechanic is so stupid, semi casuals now have no chance at getting land.

Can i atleast walk out of it, or do i need do stay in there? Can i die or does it reset then? Does anyone have some tips?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No you can't leave. There is an area you have to stay in. From what I have experienced it is the size of the claim. If you die you start all over. Nothing you can do about the people walking through. It pauses the claim, but, doesn't restart it. All of this is as of patch 11. I am still trying myself.

Competitive games are never friendly to casual and semi-casual players. 

I recommend playing on a companies claim that allows building. 

4 hours ago, Gaxon said:

Competitive games are never friendly to casual and semi-casual players. 

I recommend playing on a companies claim that allows building. 

Nah, I got it after around 10 hours. In PVE it is literally deciding who gets a claim and who doesn't by who lets the game run in the background.

10 hours sitting at the same spot isnt even playing the game, its literally just sitting around hoping no one comes through, which is imo a pretty bad mechanic.

And honestly, whoever builds in another companies area is pretty naive. They can just say "fuck you" and demolish your shit.

Just now, Kimsey said:

10 hours sitting at the same spot isnt even playing the game, its literally just sitting around hoping no one comes through, which is imo a pretty bad mechanic.

Yeah it's not the best mechanic tbh. When it was a 30-40 minute claim timer it was bad enough praying that people in the area don't run though it harvesting in the area.

Now that it's a 6hr+ claim timer it is rather ridiculous to think that you'll find an area to claim from someone that won't have randoms in the area over the course of 6+ hours. :classic_huh:

WTF ???? 6 hours?? Wasn’t supposed to be 30 min in PVE ? 

6 hours without play the game ? , what’s their logic really ??

5 minutes ago, Quilleute said:

WTF ???? 6 hours?? Wasn’t supposed to be 30 min in PVE ? 

6 hours without play the game ? , what’s their logic really ??

6 hours if the person you want to claim has only 1 claim total. The more claims company/person have, the less time it takes to claim. But i have to say they overdid it.... 

1 hour ago, Elrood said:

6 hours if the person you want to claim has only 1 claim total. The more claims company/person have, the less time it takes to claim. But i have to say they overdid it.... 

yup and we still have to wait 10 more days before the are killed in game to even start contesting if others dont try it too

19 minutes ago, Sketch said:

yup and we still have to wait 10 more days before the are killed in game to even start contesting if others dont try it too

that patch note only was in reference to Lawless and Freeport not the rest of the world.

1 minute ago, Scrad said:

that patch note only was in reference to Lawless and Freeport not the rest of the world.

well rip newcomers or latecomers, or players that lose everything

Edited by Sketch

I saw that and my first thought was,

Oh they are clearing inactive players from the starter areas and this is also possibly a test before rolling it to the rest of the servers.

Mostly because there are people that have claims down but as they are sleeping in their houses having not played for many days you can't take the claims from them despite them being inactive.

I could be wrong but that patch note could well have been the first step to allowing inactive players across the map to be removed and thus freeing up space so "shock horror" the servers do not die like everyone is saying they have.

6 hours ago, Kimsey said:

Nah, I got it after around 10 hours. In PVE it is literally deciding who gets a claim and who doesn't by who lets the game run in the background.

And honestly, whoever builds in another companies area is pretty naive. They can just say "fuck you" and demolish your shit.

Companies neutral claims don’t work like that. We have some people living on our claims and we can’t touch anything they’ve built. 

You don’t have to sit online to claim land. If the land is neutral, which most is when it’s up for grabs, build a box and log off in it. As long as your body is in your claim flag area, it can’t be removed. 

4 hours ago, Gaxon said:

Companies neutral claims don’t work like that. We have some people living on our claims and we can’t touch anything they’ve built. 

You don’t have to sit online to claim land. If the land is neutral, which most is when it’s up for grabs, build a box and log off in it. As long as your body is in your claim flag area, it can’t be removed. 

How certain are you of this technique cuz i logged off on a shipyard safe and sound and logged back in alive on the same spot and the flag i was claiming which was yellow (neutral for building) was still there and my flag gone.

13 hours ago, Elrood said:

This only applies if a company allows their territories to get to a state where they are claimable (i.e. they are inactive on that land). More and more claims will become available as individuals who purchased the game slowly drift away. At some point, Grapeshot will probably open another PvE or PvP server but it will depend on population. 

Edited by Sp3cialG

While this claim idea seams nice, almost every server official or unofficial is immediately completely claimed and allows new players to start at a GREAT disadvantage.  In PvE the is absolutely no reason for a player to claim everything he can as fast as he can and set tax rate to 30%.   Until that changes, PvE is going to suck if you do not have a claim.

35 minutes ago, José Gaspar said:

While this claim idea seams nice, almost every server official or unofficial is immediately completely claimed and allows new players to start at a GREAT disadvantage.  In PvE the is absolutely no reason for a player to claim everything he can as fast as he can and set tax rate to 30%.   Until that changes, PvE is going to suck if you do not have a claim.

It's part of the game. Go out and claim land and yes there is land to claim. You have to look for it and claim it. We've claimed 7 plots of land today that never had a flag put down.

I see all of these people saying "no land", but there is land. They just aren't taking the time to find it or are in the wrong place.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Gaxon said:

It's part of the game. Go out and claim land and yes there is land to claim. You have to look for it and claim it. We've claimed 7 plots of land today that never had a flag put down.

I see all of these people saying "no land", but there is land. They just aren't taking the time to find it or are in the wrong place.

I agree, i seen a lot of companies disappear and new people come in and claim land. Personally, i don't get why all the people looking for land just don't join a company. There is a company forum on the site.

2 hours ago, James_32 said:

I agree, i seen a lot of companies disappear and new people come in and claim land. Personally, i don't get why all the people looking for land just don't join a company. There is a company forum on the site.

Problem with joining company of people you do not know is they can kick you out and you loose everything you worked for, ships buildings. etc,   Only left with what you are carrying.   There needs to be some cost to maintaining land in PvE.  Right now, if you first to claim you get the work of others for no effort.  I have seen 20+ claims by company that all they have is a small box house, a sloop and a Galleon skeleton in the slip.

16 hours ago, Jozzie McTowel said:
21 hours ago, Gaxon said:

How certain are you of this technique cuz i logged off on a shipyard safe and sound and logged back in alive on the same spot and the flag i was claiming which was yellow (neutral for building) was still there and my flag gone.

Yes, I do not agree that this strategy works.  I would like to hear from someone who has tried it in an even vaguely populated area.  We tried this last night after so many days of trying to get the claim right next to our claim and base.  We built a structure on the overlap between our claims, just in case (though their claim is neutral as nobody has been there for so long), one of our members logged off there last night with 2 hours left on the timer.  This morning we checked and everything was reset like it had never happened.  We have spent so many hours trying to get this one claim, but it just keeps getting reset and failing no matter what we do.

You can claim while sleeping/offline, as well as while not in the claim area, if, and only if, no one contests the area while you're not in it or in it and sleeping.  If someone enters the claim area while you're not there, or are offline, after a really short time, it fails the claim. 

I've been trying to claim a small extension to have a spot to place a bigger shipyard (since the shallows are ridiculously large on our main spot) for 2 days, and even though the pop on our sector averages about 15 people, enough people wander through - even though there are no resources to even gather there - to reset the timer.

6 Hours is entirely too long to take over a claim from  someone who quit the game over a week ago. Not being able to claim these dead spots, and tighten up the claim circles, since theres unclaimed space almost a half claim area wide on either side of this plot, is hurting the land claim system as well.

Additionally, 6 hours to claim - 1 hour idle to timeout - You either stand in a claim doing absolutely nothing of use, for 6 hours, or hope that you're unbelievably lucky in no one running through, because in the time it takes them to cross the claim area, it adds over an hour back to the timer.

People liked the idea of the more flags you have, the quicker the claim time - when it was 40 minutes.  They were expecting that the people with huge quantities of flags would be able to be declaimed in 10-15 minutes, not that 40 was the new baseline for a company with 200 flags, and everyone elses time goes up from then.

The claim time needs to be about 1-2 hours for a small company capture, if they haven't played in long enough that it is claimable, and its their only claim, they're probably not coming back soon.  Possibly implement a system where every day that they don't reactivate the spot drops the timer by 30 minutes to an hour?  Also, people - not the claim owner - just being in the claim area, shouldn't reset, or even contest, the timer. They should have to place a flag, and whoevers flag get to 0 first claims it.

• Like 2

Had 1 out of 6 hours to go on a claim and i get DC, the min or two it takes me to get back online someone walks in to the area 😡 i place the flag when i get back online and the player leaves the area in about another 30 sec to a min and when i check the timer its back to 3h 😢

How can it be that a random person not connected is to the claim is suppose to be able to destroy that amount of progress???

and to rub salt in the wound another person walks in the claim around 20 min later and now the timer is back to 5h 18 min😭

• Like 1

I admit the randoms resetting the timers can be frustrating. We deal with it often and sometimes have people do it intentionally. My company works as a team and in shifts to take an expired claim. It’s not always easy, but it can be done. 

Along the same lines as why randoms running through can reset the claim timer, why does a random's sleeping body in the claim area keep it contested?  If I can't claim while I'm asleep and someone comes in, why should some uninvolved 3rd party parking their ship offshore and passing out below decks block my active claiming...usually without them even realizing they're in a contested claim area? Another issue that could be circumvented by making people need to actively attempt to contest the claim, and not just exist.

• Like 1