Sign in to follow this  
Sadie Blackhawk

3 months to get to 100 years old?

1309BFC9837DEC1739983742BBC4AFFF768D7509Games been out a few weeks and I'm already 75 years old. Why you ask. Oh yeah Alphas are over spawning. Wolves, Tigers, Lions, Giant Snakes are to strong to even contend with unless there happens to be a rock close by. Taming. HA. I've spent 2 days trying to get a rhino. Almost get it tamed and some Alpha spawns on top of me and kills the tame. I guess this is nothing but a game of sail to freeports cause that's about all that can be done right now. Cant build anything bigger then a sloop since all my ships keep getting sunk with no repercussions to those that do it. Oh yeah we need a name to get people banned. But yet we only get to see [] [] [] [] [] for names so we can't even get them banned via steam. You want more people to play. Adjustments need to be made.  Oh yeah that's 2 alphas that spawned near my boat as I was trying to do a corpse run lastnight….

Edited by Sadie Blackhawk
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, Sadie Blackhawk said:

Adjustments need to be made.   

I think everyone, including the devs agree with this. 

Pretty much at this point. im heading home and at the point of logging off. I mean 600 turnips gone, lost so much gear/taming equipment over the last 16 hours. It's not even fun right now. I'm so ungodly angry at the time waste. Hard enough to tame a Rhino but Lvl 29, 30, 25, 19, 15, 17, and a lvl 10. All killed by alphas all over 75% tamed.

5 hours ago, Sadie Blackhawk said:

1309BFC9837DEC1739983742BBC4AFFF768D7509Games been out a few weeks and I'm already 75 years old. Why you ask. Oh yeah Alphas are over spawning. Wolves, Tigers, Lions, Giant Snakes are to strong to even contend with unless there happens to be a rock close by. Taming. HA. I've spent 2 days trying to get a rhino. Almost get it tamed and some Alpha spawns on top of me and kills the tame. I guess this is nothing but a game of sail to freeports cause that's about all that can be done right now. Cant build anything bigger then a sloop since all my ships keep getting sunk with no repercussions to those that do it. Oh yeah we need a name to get people banned. But yet we only get to see [] [] [] [] [] for names so we can't even get them banned via steam. You want more people to play. Adjustments need to be made.  Oh yeah that's 2 alphas that spawned near my boat as I was trying to do a corpse run lastnight….

Just push for them to scrap the age mechanic, it only detracts from the game. 

1. Most people don't want their characters to die, and lose them forever.

2. Most people don't want their character to look a way they don't want them to look.

These two important things are just ruined by this poorly thought out mechanic. It isn't worth having it in if we have to give up the two things above.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adfax said:

2. Most people don't want their character to look a way they don't want them to look.

These two important things are just ruined by this poorly thought out mechanic. It isn't worth having it in if we have to give up the two things above.

Na fuck this i wanna fuck all the female characters in my company and make 1000000s of baby me's 😄

• Haha 1

Fais le dans la vrai vie FOOKAA c'est plus sympa que dans un jeu ... dans atlas c'est juste un bonne grosse fonctionnalité de merde....déjà que le jeu est pas simple à cause des bugs horribles et nombreux ,exemple : hier j'ai passé 20 minutes à mourir en boucle à cause d'un lion alpha coincé chez moi .Alors si en plus tu dois te taper un personnage éphémère et moche avec le temps... non merci. Déjà que la population du jeu baisse, mais si il laisse cette option dans quelques semaines le jeu sera joué que par une minorité... 

Traduction Google

Do it in real life FOOKAA it's more fun than in a game ... in atlas it's just a good big shit feature .... already that the game is not easy because of the horrible and numerous bugs Example: yesterday I spent 20 minutes dying in a loop because of an alpha lion stuck at home. So if you also have to type a character ephemeral and ugly with time ... no thank you. Already the population of the game is falling, but if it leaves this option in a few weeks the game will be played only by a minority

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Adfax said:

1. If you’re viewing the upcoming mechanics as your character dying and losing them forever, then based on the description provided I would say you’re being intentionally excessively literal. Yes your character technically dies, but everything about that character which matters gameplay wise will be transferred into another another character and indications imply that the only changes to the new character will be given name and appearance, and doubtless appearance you will be able to set like a new character, so keeping it the same if you wish.

2. Across the gaming industry the degree of control a player has over their characters appearance varies greatly. Some games offer no appearance customization whatsoever, others offer breathing taking levels of appearance customization (my first MMO City of Heroes comes to mind). Some are in a middle ground where appearance is based on gear and therefore while a player technically has control, the practical reality is that exercising that control can come at the expense of gameplay effectiveness.

This leads me to the following point: yes, all other things being equal most players want as much control over their characters appearance as possible, but having that control isn’t paramount to most players as your statement implies. The proof of this is the many people willing to play games that grant low levels of appearance control. Many players would prioritize interesting new mechanics like the aging/breeding/legacy system that will be implemented here over complete character appearance control. I would be one of them. Regardless, the as yet implemented mechanics will be part of the game by all indications and I don’t believe that temper tantrums thrown on the forums by players who demand complete and utter control over appearance aspects are likely to change that.

6 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

1. If you’re viewing the upcoming mechanics as your character dying and losing them forever, then based on the description provided I would say you’re being intentionally excessively literal. Yes your character technically dies, but everything about that character which matters gameplay wise will be transferred into another another character and indications imply that the only changes to the new character will be given name and appearance, and doubtless appearance you will be able to set like a new character, so keeping it the same if you wish.

2. Across the gaming industry the degree of control a player has over their characters appearance varies greatly. Some games offer no appearance customization whatsoever, others offer breathing taking levels of appearance customization (my first MMO City of Heroes comes to mind). Some are in a middle ground where appearance is based on gear and therefore while a player technically has control, the practical reality is that exercising that control can come at the expense of gameplay effectiveness.

This leads me to the following point: yes, all other things being equal most players want as much control over their characters appearance as possible, but having that control isn’t paramount to most players as your statement implies. The proof of this is the many people willing to play games that grant low levels of appearance control. Many players would prioritize interesting new mechanics like the aging/breeding/legacy system that will be implemented here over complete character appearance control. I would be one of them. Regardless, the as yet implemented mechanics will be part of the game by all indications and I don’t believe that temper tantrums thrown on the forums by players who demand complete and utter control over appearance aspects are likely to change that.

1. I'm saying that people get attached to their characters, it doesn't matter about the stats, just the idea that the character is gone forever. Like, If my pet dies, and I buy a new one that looks the same, it isn't the same as the original pet. Same applies to character death.

2. Most games are moving in the direction of giving more players control over their character's appearance. Like wow, how once you couldn't change your appearance, and then they added the highly popular transmog. Or how the vast majority of recent MMOs allow you to add cosmetics in it's very own tab, that overlays what you're wearing. Most games are expanding on character creation in general. Even in the FPS genre this is happening. This means it is obviously important to people. So from there, you weigh whether it is worth giving up a game mechanic, that will basically attempt to emulate real life, but with the passing on of your exp. Or would you rather be forced to play as some fugly old person 90% of the time?.. And let me stress, this isn't a CORE game mechanic; ark is proof of that. It is side fluff, nothing major. Stuff the game could live without.. Would do better without i'd argue.

This whole point is regarding to the fact that : people don't like playing as characters they do not like; whether they want them ugly, young, beautiful, old, whatever. Forcing people to play something they don't want to play is worse than crowbarring in a mechanic the game can do without, as proven by Ark.

Your character IS paramount to a lot of people because it is the vessel through which everything happens; it is the centre point by which you'll experience everything in the game, and is always present throughout. Saying people don't care what their characters look like is the same as saying people don't care what they look like in real life, as it is a representation of themselves ingame. Not everyone cares what their characters look like in game, but i'll bet you MOST do; otherwise why did they expand on the character creator mechanic from ark? Why is the cosmetic side of gaming becoming more and more popular as games come out? Why do some games make their entire income from cosmetics? It is because people care much more about cosmetics than you realize. 

Atlas is trying to have everything, it thinks it can crowbar in gimmick mechanics, AND have cosmetic freedom, but they've actually sacrificed one for the other. If you think people are going to settle for playing ugly old people most of the time, then you're mistaken.

If you're going to get cosmetics right on anything; your character, who you are in the gaming world, is the MOST important I would argue.

Edited by Adfax
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, vanarial said:

Fais le dans la vrai vie FOOKAA c'est plus sympa que dans un jeu ... dans atlas c'est juste un bonne grosse fonctionnalité de merde....déjà que le jeu est pas simple à cause des bugs horribles et nombreux ,exemple : hier j'ai passé 20 minutes à mourir en boucle à cause d'un lion alpha coincé chez moi .Alors si en plus tu dois te taper un personnage éphémère et moche avec le temps... non merci. Déjà que la population du jeu baisse, mais si il laisse cette option dans quelques semaines le jeu sera joué que par une minorité... 

Traduction Google

Do it in real life FOOKAA it's more fun than in a game ... in atlas it's just a good big shit feature .... already that the game is not easy because of the horrible and numerous bugs Example: yesterday I spent 20 minutes dying in a loop because of an alpha lion stuck at home. So if you also have to type a character ephemeral and ugly with time ... no thank you. Already the population of the game is falling, but if it leaves this option in a few weeks the game will be played only by a minority

Agree completely.. The devs just don't understand that people care about what they're playing as.. I'm actually shocked they overlooked this.

For me, I really enjoy the game as is, and I see great potential, but if they leave this mechanic in i'll probably quit soon.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

I suspect that they have it intentionally sped up so that they can test it.  I doubt they intended for it to be this short for the live version.

That is what I was thinking also, still a stupid mechanic though.

• Like 1

I can't say I hate the mechanic. I thought that was kinda ingenius to  bring in a legacy system. But right now i'm aging way to fast. Most of it was from deaths/corpse runs. I can't say I honestly took the time to customize my character day 1. I shrunk my boobs. got rid of some belly fat. Changed my hair and eye color