WilliamGrayton

Players using single foundation tile to...

19 minutes ago, iLL said:

You can't even place a bed on land in lawless, there's 4 day timers for inactive people's stuff to be demolished, everything points to it not being meant as a "home".  The stupid claim system is in the game for a reason, if they just wanted people to live on lawless like it's Ark then the entire game would be that way and not centered around some terrible claim system.

While you can't spawn in it, you can place a bed on lawless, and you can fast travel from it. There are timers on the claim flags and ships as well, what does that imply to you?

From the Steam page, "Everything is up for grabs including player’s ships, their crew, their pets, their forts, their land, and their booty. If you can get your hands on it, you can take it."

And if new players are supposed to build their boat there, but not a shelter, how are they supposed to survive the onslaught of animals, or if they're on PVP other players, for that matter. I've seen shores littered with abandoned rafts for that very reason.

Edited by Pappy Green
  • Like 1

Instead of disabling lawless, they should just add new grids where you can't build at all, not even boatyards. The islands would be strictly for visiting, and harvesting mats etc.

You can add special mob encounters, lots of cool stuff etc. Some could be neutral areas for social or trade hubs.

Just lots of possibilities.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ringo O'Rourke said:

Instead of disabling lawless, they should just add new grids where you can't build at all, not even boatyards. The islands would be strictly for visiting, and harvesting mats etc.

You can add special mob encounters, lots of cool stuff etc. Some could be neutral areas for social or trade hubs.

Just lots of possibilities.

They already have the golden age ruins, plenty of resources, can't build, and uniques. Freeports are the neutral/trade zones. I'm sure the anti-lawless crowd are just collectivists upset that they can't claim them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pappy Green said:

They already have the golden age ruins, plenty of resources, can't build, and uniques. Freeports are the neutral/trade zones. I'm sure the anti-lawless crowd are just collectivists upset that they can't claim them.

I don't need to claim there, I did what the game intended and used their terrible system to get land claimed elsewhere..  Everyone who lives in a lawless should be forced to move and keep the islands as what they're intended to be used for, not 8 million large gateways and ugly structures littered with foundation spamming while they cry there's no resources spawning.

6 minutes ago, iLL said:

I don't need to claim there, I did what the game intended and used their terrible system to get land claimed elsewhere..  Everyone who lives in a lawless should be forced to move and keep the islands as what they're intended to be used for, not 8 million large gateways and ugly structures littered with foundation spamming while they cry there's no resources spawning.

Sounds like lawless isn't affecting you in the least bit. Play the game the way you want, it is a sandbox after all.

• Like 1

They need to look at how Conan stopped this crap from happening. I think you have to have so many foundation attached else it would rapidly decay. It was probably something like 5 attaches to a foundation. So like 4 walls and a ceiling. If they were forced to do that in this game it would eat up alot of resorces and prob slow down this land grab shit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scorpionshawn said:

They need to look at how Conan stopped this crap from happening. I think you have to have so many foundation attached else it would rapidly decay. It was probably something like 5 attaches to a foundation. So like 4 walls and a ceiling. If they were forced to do that in this game it would eat up alot of resorces and prob slow down this land grab shit.

On a regular server yeah I'd agree.  The problem is the whole MMO aspect where we all share a world, it's a whole new ballpark.  You KNOW one person will have the time to do it simply because than that land is "theirs".

Maybe periodic "hurricanes" to those servers that wipe everything clear Extinction server style.  With plenty of growing thunderclouds a couple days before it's due.  

The real question is.  Does this fall into violation of the code of conduct.  Item bullet #3 under Exploiting. If so why is nothing being done about it by admins on the official servers? IMO this is an unintended use of the build mechanics and should fall under this article no matter what reason it is being used.

https://www.playatlas.com/index.php?/code-of-conduct

HACKING AND EXPLOITING

Hacking and Exploiting in the game to gain an unfair advantage over other players is subject to enforcement action.

Hacking - examples are not limited to but can include using third-party programs such as in-game automated bots ESP, Aimbots, and Game Engine Modifications.

Exploiting - examples are not limited to but can include:

• Attacking from, travelling through, or building in unintended game-zones (ex: under terrain or above the map)
  • Duplication of tames, items, other assets, or characters
  • Unintended building mechanics used in an exploitative manner (ex: floating structures)
  • Attacking or blocking players through the terrain

Problem solution:

Active server admins suspending those reported or known in violation, conditions of suspension is player removal of violating structures or permanent ban placed upon offender. Repeat offenders also permanent ban. I don't see how this could be a difficult thing to enforce, server admins exist to police the server community and try to help solve player problems. Players policing players by spamming "no build here" blocks is just as wrong as griefers spamming "no resource here" blocks. Wrong is wrong not matter how you want to justify it.

Maybe even give a 36 Hour warning to all players to remove "offending" blocks instead of some drastic code re-write that could causes players to "get stuck forever" on something they did wrong. That way admins would not have to remove all the block or wipe the server. I am sure most of the community is reasonable and will abide. Once everyone is on the same page and the blocks are gone it will be all the more easy to spot the griefers and deal with them accordingly.

1 hour ago, WilliamGrayton said:

Problem solution:

admins

Problem. You used the plural of admin.  Thus far, we've been informed that there's exactly one admin for all 4 clusters.

1 hour ago, WilliamGrayton said:

I am sure most of the community is reasonable and will abide.

If the community were reasonable they wouldn't be pillar/foundation spamming in the first place.

Here the thing it might prevent you from building on plots but since they decrease the space between foundation, foundations help from people building on nodes, helps overcrowding an island from having house every 50 yards which then helps with resources. So yeah it can be harmful but also helpful and it's lawless which seems fitting. The real issues are they need to fix the claim system or add more public servers.

I would love to have some Place on an claimable Island (PVE Server) but all i found so far are People having much more Land claimed then they nee d. I had to make a decission searching on Islands where no claimable Land is available or placing Foundations to avoid having nothin g. In my Opinion there is too much water and not enough claimable Land. And there are too much greedy People ….. hello World. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cpt. Jack said:

I would love to have some Place on an claimable Island (PVE Server) but all i found so far are People having much more Land claimed then they nee d. I had to make a decission searching on Islands where no claimable Land is available or placing Foundations to avoid having nothin g. In my Opinion there is too much water and not enough claimable Land. And there are too much greedy People ….. hello World. 

As a landowner I can tell you it´s a negative feedback cyclus. More land means more taxes that is passive income we can sit on our rear ends doing nothing for.

And before people mention upkeep as a solution, treasure hunters will likely pay it all and then some.

So you are back with a real life issue, rich gets richer, poor gets more poor. The only limit is the 30% tax that pretty much 95%+ sets.

Hear me out people i'm not posting this to defend foundation spam, i actually find this distastful and just bad behavior, and just pure selfishness which i think is one of the wort behavior.

In any case i set up in lawless a few day after launch. That island was almost empty compared to now i could have taken 1/3 of it or at least a huge place, but no i just put a small shipyard and a very small house in front of it. First we had guys put thatch house around those metal nodes, so much so that only a couple was avaible, those house even decayed so i put foundation to forbid anyone to do it again.

Then i had other people spam shipyard all beside me so much so that there is no room to park my boat, anything bigger than a schooner is huge, turn like a whale, get damaged easily on sand, if people spam shipyards, bye bye your ideal spot. Think about the fact you need 3 shipyard into your progreesion, probably as much space as they take for the boats, and voila, 1/4 of a fucking island for every person. The game sure isn't space efficient.

So the foundation spam is not as much as a player behavior problem but also in big part a game design problem. The game actually force you to get a huge piece of land, same with resource spawn if you think about it. You need a lot of space per person, that's also why groups are more efficient.

3 hours ago, Jean Lafitte said:

Problem. You used the plural of admin.  Thus far, we've been informed that there's exactly one admin for all 4 clusters.

If the community were reasonable they wouldn't be pillar/foundation spamming in the first place.

Point 1- Bring in more admins. If you cant hire them then bring in community volunteers like so many other gaming communities do.

Point 2 - Way to have no faith in the community at all. Most of the people you talk with are spam dropping pillars/foundations in order to counter griefers who are killing the resource spawns or the ones trying to gobble up too much land, more than they could ever use for the size of their group.

2 hours ago, DilBert said:

It is not an exploit to begin with. Lawless is exactly what the name implies. lol

So by this logic being Lawless mean breaking all the rules and the code of conduct does not apply here?

See my above post and follow the link to the code of conduct. I don't believe is says follow these rules unless in a lawless region anywhere but I could have missed it.

2 hours ago, asmodyus said:

Here the thing it might prevent you from building on plots but since they decrease the space between foundation, foundations help from people building on nodes, helps overcrowding an island from having house every 50 yards which then helps with resources. So yeah it can be harmful but also helpful and it's lawless which seems fitting. The real issues are they need to fix the claim system or add more public servers.

Not sure how it seems fitting that Players abuse the building mechanic and yes I am sure that when the Devs were writing the code for the  buildings and the placement limitations they said "oh yea this works and as a positive side affect we can spam these everywhere to prevent others from building or even block resources from that other group we don't like."  As far as helping over crowding that wont be an issue when everyone leaves because they cant play a game where issues like this never get addressed. A healthy game community with build able areas will always suffer from crowding, it means lots of folks are buying and playing. The only games I have played that have not had crowding issues were games with instanced housing areas.

1 hour ago, Cpt. Jack said:

There are many reasons to in a lawless region

I agree with the claimable areas being mostly gone, I too would love to have a spot where I could claim a home without having to Join a mega company who absorbs all my assets to pay for their fleets. I don't like how when you join a company your ships become company property and all my locked storage becomes open to all in the company. (From what I have seen so far, if this isn't the case someone let me know 🙂) . I would gladly work for and give over some of what I work for to a company but not everything. I don't feel like living on another company's land and paying tax that is borderline robbery where they can just decide for any reason to change the rules of the land and now I have to move again.

As far as people or companies being greedy with the land the fix for that would have to be to limit how much land a company can hold. Life is Feudal had a good system imo for that where the claim would expand as the guild expanded and were able to pay the upkeep, but even then it would reach a cap and the guild could only control so much without alliances.

14 minutes ago, WilliamGrayton said:

Point 2 - Way to have no faith in the community at all.

Are you a hermit?  Do you live in a cave in Siberia?  Is your real last name Cleaver? This is not 1952, this is 2019.  This planet is infested with self-entitled soccer mom's who will run your ass over in order to get their kids to practice on time.  The overwhelming majority of the people on this planet still have Janet Jackson's, "What have you done for me lately," as their personal theme song.  This planet is infested with people who will throw an absolute fit in public just to cause a scene so they can get a free pizza because they feel they deserve one.  This planet is infested with people who will intentionally cause you grief, whether in-game or out, simply because they think it's funny.  I have no faith in this community because I have no faith in HUMANITY.

People who are dropping these pillars/foundations to counter griefers, as you suggest, are by default becoming the griefers themselves. And why? Because they are protecting THEIR assets. Whether they want to delude you and themselves with the excuse that they're doing it to help everyone, they're doing it to help themselves.  Or they'll give the justification of, "I'm doing it before someone else does."

I dunno where you've been living for the past 30 odd years, but the civilization inhabiting this planet has become inwardly focused on themselves and the few, tiny voices that are out there crying, 'work together' are drowned out by the masses screaming, 'MINE! MINE! MINE!'

For example, one of the biggest bitches about this game is the claim system. Nobody wants to pay taxes to live somewhere. Why? Because they ALL envision THEMSELVES as being lord and master and not the working peasant.  They ALL envision themselves as the landgrave and not the sharecropper. And rather than pay those taxes to someone who just got lucky and got their first or actually WORKED to expand or hold onto their claims, they'd rather quit playing all together.

2 hours ago, Cpt. Jack said:

This, is a perfect example of what I'm telling you.  There are people on the NA-PVE server who are offering land to be settled. Is it taxed? Yes.  But rather than get a foothold in the game and pay those taxes until such time as they're capable of exploring and finding their own claim, this gentleman decided to spam foundations in order to avoid having nothing because he equates nothing to being him not personally owning it.

I'm on my 3rd start from nothing at this game.  In order to get that start, I found an island where the owner had set up free, public crafting facilities. He also charged a 30% tax on everything I collected there.  Was I happy to pay this man? Damn straight I was. I was able to sit there for a few days, keep my raft repaired and build myself some furs. I was eventually able to venture north with enough resources to get me a good foothold in the tundra.  When I landed, there were rafts and shanty's from at least 3 others who had attempted to start there.  They were all vacant because the owners decided the game wasn't handing them a claim on a silver platter.

I'm now on phase two of building my small castle. I have 3 towers completed and the first layer of walls. I have a sloop, a schooner, a wharf, 2 piers, a taming pen, a large barn for my tames and a 4 story stone house to protect me.  I have roughly a dozen claims covering a small waterfront and a valley behind my house that's surrounded by mountains. I trade with nearby islands and passersby for the things I can't get and I STILL go back to that guy who had the free crafting tables and harvest fiber from him as a continued way of saying, "thank you for helping me get started." I have endured what I perceive as a massive aggravation of wolves, lions, snakes and alphas and continue to endure that aggravation every single day I log in.  I have worked and continue to work hard for what I currently have.  And when I hear people bitch about how they can't find a claim and they're stuck on a lawless or how they won't pay taxes because someone else got lucky, I quickly classify them along with everyone else who thinks a game should just hand them shit simply because they exist.

Do I have faith in this community? No. I have become just as cynical and inwardly focused as the rest of this planet.  The difference is, I'm old enough to remember when people WORKED for what they wanted and didn't EXPECT it to be given to them.  So when I hear people bitching about living on a pillar/foundation spammed island I have to ask myself, why are they living there anyway?  Every single day people get fed up and quit this game and every single day there are claims that become abandoned.  If you're willing to get off your raft, explore and work for a claim, they are there to be taken.  If you cruise by on your raft, see gobs of red dots and say, "this island is entirely claimed," expecting a claim to be handed to you, then no, you won't find one.

I'm done ranting now.

Read this and u really want to tell i should build up on other People claimed Land?

And this "Gentleman" did not spam Foundations he just put them on an Area where he wants to build a House, a Shipyard and a Cage. Play the Game like u want to play it but dont tell other People that they do something wrong just because they want to have there own Land. 

27 minutes ago, Cpt. Jack said:

And this "Gentleman" did not spam Foundations he just put them on an Area where he wants to build a House, a Shipyard and a Cage. Play the Game like u want to play it but dont tell other People that they do something wrong just because they want to have there own Land. 

I am not saying anyone is doing anything wrong for wanting their own claim. I too want my own as well.  And because of the way the system works even if that guy had gotten that claim instead of building on a neutral claim, it still could have been taken away.  My first claims, I lost them all to a bug when the server crashed and I was kicked out of my own corp.  What I am saying is that a large portion of those looking for claims are either a. expect them to be handed to them or b. aren't willing to work to keep them. I'm not saying that I lump everyone into those categories.

As far as i know the only way to take away other Claims is when the owner wasnt in range for a couple of days. This is the same with Foundations in the Lawless Regions, they can be destroyed after 4 Days his owner wasnt in range of them. In my Opinion there is no need for a Lawless Region just make everything claimable (expect freeports) and make sure that there is a Kind of Claim Limit so everyone has a Chance to get his Claim. Dont Forget, there is a Reason i am playing on a PVE Server ….. i just want to build and see my liddle Companie growing. If i want to "fight for Land" i would Play on a PVP Server.

2 hours ago, Cpt. Jack said:

As far as i know the only way to take away other Claims is when the owner wasnt in range for a couple of days. This is the same with Foundations in the Lawless Regions, they can be destroyed after 4 Days his owner wasnt in range of them. In my Opinion there is no need for a Lawless Region just make everything claimable (expect freeports) and make sure that there is a Kind of Claim Limit so everyone has a Chance to get his Claim. Dont Forget, there is a Reason i am playing on a PVE Server ….. i just want to build and see my liddle Companie growing. If i want to "fight for Land" i would Play on a PVP Server.

A claim cost nothing, spamming foundation mean you have to gather the resource, yes it's not much but it still count.

The claim system that they actually have is really bad, lawless or not is not even the problem because if they take out lawless you are left with a bad system. And actually i do think lawless system is better. Claim are too small, you will not have enough to build a house, have some resource around for your needs, shipyards and boats, even if you have very small need, you'll need multiple claims to fit everything inside, and this must be adjustable for the number of people using the claim. Claim are both too big and too small, with foundation you can shape a rectangle or whatever shape that fit the location, that will include everything you need. But the real problem is that they are spammable, need no resource, no upkeep, no nothing. ANd honestly 4 day is really really low, it's even lower on clai, this just make no sense, if i want to go to a prolonged week end with the kids, bye bye my game... Yet people can't find a square meter to anchor their boat, not even talking about having a base.

I'm sorry but it's the dev fault they should have tested it and made multiple reiteration of it until a sweat spot was reached, and then and only then sold the game, this is just crap i'm sorry.

There is no good solution to this issue unless they create a "Master foundation" which gives you a zone to build in on lawless islands and you can't place foundations outside of it. This doesn't prevent griefing but could prevent the spam of foundations. To prevent resources issues they can setup exclusion zones around resources. But who wants to move from freeport to lawless, build a base, build a boat then abandon their base to hopefully settle outside of lawless in the terrible claim system that exists? At least in lawless people have to destroy my stuff. In the lawful zones... they can just rob you of your entire setup with a claim flag.