Final Vegeta

Breeding Question

I have finally gotten to the point where I can tame a bunch of bears. I noticed when I try and breed them it says "unsuitable biome for breeding". I'm in the Tundra biome and I don't understand if this means it's to cold or I absolutely have to be in a temperate biome or another bime to breed. 

If you do have to be in a temperate biome only to breed this mechanic is very broken and unrealistic. If all the players that want to breed have to be in a temperate biome this will make breeding impossible because as you all know in pve most of the land is claimed and it's already impossible for most people just to find a small spot. Its unrealistic to limit all breeding to certain biomes. Although, I can understand different creatures requiring different biomes to breed if that's was the intended purpose.

Anyone else running into this problem or does anyone have any clarification? 

So it isn't the biome that you need to deal with.  It's the direct temperature they are experiencing.  If you are in the tundra you are at an advantage to everyone in the tropics/temperate region.

Make a hot house, use grills to heat the room and breed in there and raise the animals in there.  Grills provide more thermal insulation than campfires do and you can regulate this up/down better than anyone else due to your normal outside temp being much lower.  I'm not sure the optimal amount of grills but 1 heats a player decently well when the outside temp is around 30 farenheit.

Just now, Vaenix said:

So it isn't the biome that you need to deal with.  It's the direct temperature they are experiencing.  If you are in the tundra you are at an advantage to everyone in the tropics/temperate region.

Make a hot house, use grills to heat the room and breed in there and raise the animals in there.  Grills provide more thermal insulation than campfires do and you can regulate this up/down better than anyone else due to your normal outside temp being much lower.  I'm not sure the optimal amount of grills but 1 heats a player decently well when the outside temp is around 30 farenheit.

That is awesome so it shouldn't be to bad. That was frightening me and I've seen mixed things about the breeding mechanics so far. 

The time it takes to make and raise a baby isn't great, your gonna be at your base for awhile.  There seems to be an imprinting mechanic and possibly even mutations like Ark had but I'm not sure how in depth it is so far.  But if this is something you want to get into I would probably make a 3x3 foundation, place grills along the outer walls of this(as many as you can possibly fit) add a small storage box in the middle for wood.  Then build a floor above this your breeding/raising room.  I would think this would be enough grills to regulate the temp fairly well.

3 minutes ago, gadefence said:

Surround tame with penguins, wait for it to shit out baby.

Yeah that's an option, you'd have to tame them first.  I suppose anyone who nabbed em up before the whales were introduced were at a great advantage lol.  We are working on making a whaling ship so we can go up and grab ourselves a few and make use of the tundra biomes resources.

1 minute ago, Vaenix said:

Yeah that's an option, you'd have to tame them first.  I suppose anyone who nabbed em up before the whales were introduced were at a great advantage lol.  We are working on making a whaling ship so we can go up and grab ourselves a few and make use of the tundra biomes resources.

We got to the polar regions unharmed on a sloop with medium speed sail. You can avoid the whales and outspeed them pretty well if you have a decent amount of wind. Now the Yetis are a different story.... 

1 minute ago, Final Vegeta said:

We got to the polar regions unharmed on a sloop with medium speed sail. You can avoid the whales and outspeed them pretty well if you have a decent amount of wind. Now the Yetis are a different story.... 

Oh I know you can avoid them for the most part, but we've found many are actually land whales, and we want their oil and discovery points anyways so hunting them is going to be our method.  We are setting up a schooner with a large speed sail/small handling and several ballistas on the back.

Just now, Vaenix said:

Oh I know you can avoid them for the most part, but we've found many are actually land whales, and we want their oil and discovery points anyways so hunting them is going to be our method.  We are setting up a schooner with a large speed sail/small handling and several ballistas on the back.

The ballistas are a good idea we need to try that on our schooner. Thanks man!