INVALID

Jat's Musings: Patch v10

@Jatheish I want to say thank you from me and my Company for all the hard work that you and the team are providing this awesome game. Keep communicating with us nerds and this game will be one of the best games on the market in no time. ( honestly it already is in my eyes )

So it's just as expected. PvP nerfed PvE in regards to the weapons. "But the weapons are piercing now!" I don't think the elephant's armor care about piercing properties on the firearms.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Jatheish said:

- Breeding. We want this to be more difficult than it was in ARK and for players to have to travel around the map to raise their species on ideal biomes. Whilst that does make it harder for smaller groups, arguably you could focus on breeding within your region and build up some beast mode tames to trade 🙂

This was a statement made yesterday about breeding.  We live in tundra and the tames we can get within our region are bears, wolves, elephants, and cows.  Wolves and elephants are not yet able to be bred, apparently.  Cows cannot be ridden.  Bears cannot be bred in our biome.  I think that creatures should be able to be bred in the biomes where they naturally spawn.  I would love to follow the devs' advice and focus on breeding within my region.  That leaves me only cows?

Edited by cloWandering
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Nightstrasza said:

If our 2 flags gonna be wipped bcs thou art being too lazy to go into tundra where are tons of abandoned flags then gonna spend entire time to claim spam every island. There's still even polar. No, just bcs temperate is the easiest doesn't mean everyone gets it, go tundra, those islands have like 0-20 ppl online at the same time, when traveled just 1 grid higher where dessert is, suddenly 60 players, then 1 higher and 90 players with 200 ping, that's not everyones concern that thou art all choosing the easy, warm climates. Personaly spent 24 hours and didn't sleep one night to travel on rafts and find a home land, from what seen no one even bother with polar and tunras are just covered with dead claims.

#1. I dont think I ever mentioned where I was attempting to claim. So how do you know it's not in a harsher climate?

#2. I doubt I'd ever be able to find you in any case to try and take your flags. Unless you just mean in a snippy example of general terms. Not that you're actually anywhere near me. Then lol never mind and I'm still half asleep.

#3. I've traveled quite a ways around the map, and even the section I am on has "space" but as mentioned other territories are so awkwardly placed no flags can fit between it.

I just dont see why people need to own entire areas. That makes solo play or small company play nearly impossible. In the long run where would new people be able to live? Nowhere. Yes eventually more servers will open up, but hardly anyone would move if it means losing all the hard work. The game is difficult already, having to essentially start over some people will welcome the fresh start, most wont. Plus it's not like they will unclaim before they leave. With my mentioned timer thing, decay doesn't help lol. Even the guy who lives near me theres no decay timer, inactive timer, or demo timer on his house. It hasnt been added on to in like a week I dont even know if he plays anymore. What am I to do in that situation oh almighty, all knowing master?

Edited by Asanna

people need to take as much space as possible to attempt to control resources, and tax.  Without a taxation bank the incentive to claim entire grids would likely diminish to some degree.  It wouldn't completely stop it since people would still likely want to reduce the number of people on an island taking the resources.

22 hours ago, Jatheish said:

- Breeding. We want this to be more difficult than it was in ARK and for players to have to travel around the map to raise their species on ideal biomes. Whilst that does make it harder for smaller groups, arguably you could focus on breeding within your region and build up some beast mode tames to trade 🙂

Well, as a player I want game mechanics that make sense. And this one just plain doesn't. Now, if you wanted to do this to get some magical fantasy version variant of a creature, sure, whatever, if it's worthwhile, people will do it I'm sure. They may even enjoy it. I certainly have no issue with that. But for a normal tame, this has no basis in fun or rational requirements. 

So you can either impose ridiculous nonsense on players for very little gain, thus alienating them, or you can relegate the absurd hoop-jumping requirements for special-case, but worthwhile results. I'm not even sure why this is something I have to explain. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, arzosah said:

people need to take as much space as possible to attempt to control resources, and tax.  Without a taxation bank the incentive to claim entire grids would likely diminish to some degree.  It wouldn't completely stop it since people would still likely want to reduce the number of people on an island taking the resources.

That in itself is a double edged sword. You will have people who tax 90% on resources which just makes building even harder. Then you have the people who will begin to complain even more about the "impossible to build" because collecting turned from 1 hour to 5.

Granted this is early access and kinks do need working out.

Hi Jat,

First I wanted to say thank you for this post.

Your comments about lawless areas really brings up a question about the overall intent of the game. 

Is the game supposed to be a giant faction war where players are forced to join a giant company to succeed?  Or is it supposed to be a game where people can play in whatever style they want, whether that's solo, in a small company, or with a big company. 

If faction war is the design goal you'll have to count me out. I suspect a lot of other people feel the same way. 

I have no desire to be a cog in the wheel of a big company. I already have a job in real life and this is supposed to be a game.

It's already been posted by many people but I think you guys need to let go of the idea of unlimited claim flags. Each player should get one to start and have to level up via the skill tree to get more.

It's fine if lawless areas aren't meant to settle but you have to fix the fact that there's no claimable land elsewhere.

If you don't want to limit claim flags, tax them. That could be in the form of a gold payment, just visiting the flag or some other mechanism. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Merder said:

Hi Jat,

First I wanted to say thank you for this post.

Your comments about lawless areas really brings up a question about the overall intent of the game. 

Is the game supposed to be a giant faction war where players are forced to join a giant company to succeed?  Or is it supposed to be a game where people can play in whatever style they want, whether that's solo, in a small company, or with a big company. 

If faction war is the design goal you'll have to count me out. I suspect a lot of other people feel the same way. 

I have no desire to be a cog in the wheel of a big company. I already have a job in real life and this is supposed to be a game.

It's already been posted by many people but I think you guys need to let go of the idea of unlimited claim flags. Each player should get one to start and have to level up via the skill tree to get more.

It's fine if lawless areas aren't meant to settle but you have to fix the fact that there's no claimable land elsewhere.

If you don't want to limit claim flags, tax them. That could be in the form of a gold payment, just visiting the flag or some other mechanism. 

It's suppose to be an MMO, not a solo game, so reliance on a company of at least moderate size is expected.  The skill system alone is testament to this.  You have some members that focus on combat(weapon trees), other focus on crafting(shipwright, construction), and gathering resources can be done by anyone, but the beastmasters that have access to farming animals can do it much faster.  Having at least one person in the pirate tree per treasure hunting squad make gold income easier and faster.

As you explore and get discoveries your max level increases allowing you to spec into additional trees which reduces your reliance on company members for everything.

Hey @Jatheish, question about unofficial servers (not sure if it's been covered recently, been a bit out of the loop). Will there be more updates for the map creator any time soon? Do you have any time frame on when it will be updated or is it just kinda "as we need things updated on it, then we'll release it to the general public" kind of thing? (putting this here as I'm at work so can't PM on discord lol!)

2 hours ago, arzosah said:

It's suppose to be an MMO, not a solo game, so reliance on a company of at least moderate size is expected. 

MMO literally just means thousands playing together and has nothing to do with being a solo game or not.  99% of mmorpgs (or any mmo) do not require groups to progress to midgame or endgame, and most of the ones that did died.  You can play solo in EVE even, not saying it's advisable but it's possible.

I mean I really have no problem with end game being groups or groups being encouraged, but nowhere have they ever said that even this game will require medium or large groups to play it.  IMO solo and small groups could have a place in the games world as renters or people living off their ships pretty easily.

Sorry if I come off a bit strong here, been seeing old Ark players misuse the term constantly for weeks insisting soloers and small groups should just leave.

Edited by Kyorin
  • Like 3

I am in no way saying that solo or small groups should just leave.  I am currently playing solo for the most part, I am part of a company but I moved to the other side of the map and built up a little base to play on my own.  In order to do this I had to go into several skill trees in order to play effectively solo, however doing so meant I am unable to go deep into any of those skill trees.  I'm simply saying that this game that they designed to have 40k people, also appears to be geared toward playing in groups.

@Jatheish I appreciate your post, have only one concern/question, the predators on lawless islands are way too overpowered for me as a new player. I hear many say the same. Is there any hope of changes coming? (Major nerf for all predators). I'm very new to all this and it's borderline game-breaking mechanisms for me, when I'm trying to build a base to start from before i find a crew etc, but getting killed so much that it takes the joy out of it. Today there was 1 alpha tiger and 1 alpha snake, 3 yards apart...  I died twice to them, and before that a giant snake was camping my house for hours, making it impossible to get anything done on the house. Looking forward to feedback hopefully in next patch, cause I want to be able to play this game, it has so much potential and beauty. Thanks. 

20 minutes ago, NoobieDooz said:

@Jatheish I appreciate your post, have only one concern/question, the predators on lawless islands are way too overpowered for me as a new player. I hear many say the same. Is there any hope of changes coming? (Major nerf for all predators). I'm very new to all this and it's borderline game-breaking mechanisms for me, when I'm trying to build a base to start from before i find a crew etc, but getting killed so much that it takes the joy out of it. Today there was 1 alpha tiger and 1 alpha snake, 3 yards apart...  I died twice to them, and before that a giant snake was camping my house for hours, making it impossible to get anything done on the house. Looking forward to feedback hopefully in next patch, cause I want to be able to play this game, it has so much potential and beauty. Thanks. 

People have been saying this for weeks my friend. Dont hold your breath on that change. It seems these devs have no concept of scaling content. Everything is designed with Mega companies in mind. There is no scale creep separating new players and solos from vets and megas. And there is no line separating pvp/pve scaling. If something is over powered in pvp it gets nerfed in pve too. If something is undertuned for megas, it gets buffed for smaller groups too. Busted.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, McGimp said:

People have been saying this for weeks my friend. Dont hold your breath on that change. It seems these devs have no concept of scaling content. Everything is designed with Mega companies in mind. There is no scale creep separating new players and solos from vets and megas. And there is no line separating pvp/pve scaling. If something is over powered in pvp it gets nerfed in pve too. If something is undertuned for megas, it gets buffed for smaller groups too. Busted.

I feel like this is some issue inherent with the "engine".  (I know Unreal Engine is the actual engine but I'm talking about the Ark ecosystem that this game is built on.)  At any rate, the scaling issue is present in Ark, Dark and Light, and now Atlas.

On 1/11/2019 at 12:44 PM, arzosah said:

It's suppose to be an MMO, not a solo game, so reliance on a company of at least moderate size is expected.  The skill system alone is testament to this.  You have some members that focus on combat(weapon trees), other focus on crafting(shipwright, construction), and gathering resources can be done by anyone, but the beastmasters that have access to farming animals can do it much faster.  Having at least one person in the pirate tree per treasure hunting squad make gold income easier and faster.

As you explore and get discoveries your max level increases allowing you to spec into additional trees which reduces your reliance on company members for everything.

MMO just means that there are a lot of people in the same world.  It does NOT preclude solo play, nor should it force people into lesser roles because there can only be so many Clan/Guild/Company/Tribe leaders, unless people are happy in such roles.

As a solo player I can still trade with others, but I feel we should all have at least a minimal space to continue to grow.  Freeports aren't the answer because the Maximum playable level (8) in a freeport isn't high enough to specialize in any aspect of the game.

I prefer playing solo at this time because I've only had the game for a week and I am still familiarizing myself with game mechanics, the Skill trees and customizing my keyboard commands to my liking.  I do not want to join a Company at this time and won't until I know what I'm doing.

I'm also playing PvE right now because I do not want to deal with PvP until I know what I'm doing and have an idea of the capabilities of some in-game items.  I can accept being killed by an animal I accidently hit while chopping down a tree... animals ARE a part of the Environment after all, but It would be nice to have a respawn point where I don't have to start over with no items and no way to advance beyond Level 8.

I do not want to be interrupted having been killed or my stuff stolen by "Pretend Pirates" too cowardly to play on the PVP servers.

Edited by Hambo
  • Like 2