INVALID

Jat's Musings: Patch v10

My problem with you guys forcing people to participate in the claim system is that it's totally not balanced, and you should wait until AFTER it is before making people have to leave the lawless servers.  There are still people with whole grids to themselves, and the last thing I'mg going to do is try and steal land from some land baron who will just weight glitch my ship in retaliation.  People are massively abusing the claim system.  I get that it's going to be harder to hold them once the per-number cap goes down, although that's still only after the initial 3 days

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, azmoodeus said:

That's the beauty of a MMO. While you barely use tames I use them quite frequently. Having high lvled tames rendered nearly useless completely fucks guys who've spent a lot of time and skill points into this "supplement" part of the game.

Well I still believe the tames are fine. They’re harvesting the right amount imo. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

Lawless Regions: Spawns, Resources, Temps. and Weather

Shortly after launch, we temporarily hacked up a change which turned Lawless Regions into Homeservers and enabled some special settings on them which prevented Alpha Creatures from spawning, it had faster respawns when it comes to harvestables, and weather events (or might have just been rain) were disabled. In the latest update, we removed these changes and have set it back to our initial design. These servers are meant to be unclaimable land to allow players to gain a foothold once they’ve left Freeports, but they’re meant to be a temporary area before setting sail into the wide ATLAS!

Based on our investigation thus far, resources are certainly respawning on these grids, and the signs point to the structure spawn-prevention radius causing confusion and leading to the reports. This system is native to the game but wasn't present during our initial launch due to Lawless Regions being listed as Homeservers, so from a technical point of view, it's intentional, however, I know better than to rule out possibilities for other issues (hence they're investigating). There's an argument that the radius itself needs to be adjusted, so we'll have to think on that. Keep in mind that this can change, whilst there may be some things we’re unlikely to change, it doesn’t mean that we’re set in stone. We’ll keep you posted if we have any updates!

PvE Exploits

Not going to share what the exploits are, that would be unwise…although I suppose for those of you who weren’t aware, you might be with my post. 😬

Just wanted to say we are well aware of what’s happening and are exploring ways to deal with it. The obvious solutions won’t quite work due to some backend stuff, however, we are actively looking into a more delicate and effective solution. In the meantime, quit being jerks and griefing each other, otherwise, I might have to set Amberenix (our Game Master) on ya! 

On Resources: 

Come on, you know damn well what the problem is... its the same as it was in Ark. People are foundation spamming the lawless regions and its preventing resources from spawning due to the laughably large block range on foundations. This was foreseeable since its been happening for years in Ark and while many of us would LOVE to leave lawless in Atlas the terrible claim system is currently preventing that. 

Now, a large block range made sense in Ark. The Island was covered in trees/rocks and people wanted to build huge dino pens without having trees and stuff in the way. You don't have such a need in Atlas. There is no real need to have a football field of clear land around every foundation and just like Ark, it allows for easy griefing and a lack of resources for the players that need them most. I see no reason the foundation block range couldn't be reduced to only a few feet. Its not like people were complaining when there was no blocking at all.... 

PvE Exploits: 

Nice to know that the only thing keeping my ships from being sunk right now are other players behaving. I'm sure that stern talking to will help!

Oh right, that's not working... someone was in chat before bragging about all the ships they've sunk and salvaged on PVE. I doubt a hollow threat that the GM is going to get them will make it stop, especially since its really hard to report such activity when they sink your ship while you're sleeping. What's frustrating is this has been a known issue since launch and isn't a hard one to fix: Ships can't be sunk due to weight in PVE, they just don't move. Being able to destroy another players property in PvE should be THE top priority of the team, as its pretty much game breaking. That's obviously not the case unfortunately. 

Edited by MaxPower
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Revert the changes to lawless, at least the resource thing.

Many of us don't want to deal with people stealing our claims, or having to pay taxes... THAT'S WHY WE ROLLED ON A PVE SERVER.

lawless areas were the only place you didn't have to deal with that.

We want to build, sail and explore, not get involved in daily land battles and overly aggressive Zerg companies.

• Like 4

Sleepers should NOT keep your claim safe indefinitely, you need to change that ASAP.

Right now, its a hell to find a place to claim, even when the owners weren't active for a long time.

If people want to be safe "forever" they need to go to a private server.

Edited by Kimsey
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Haki said:

@Jatheish  Are you planning to optimize game in next major update because graphic is great but we cant enjoy playing on gtx 1080 and have 50fps and 25 fps in raid. FPS issue no.1 !  Please dont say its your pc because its not and am not alone, its game and needs to be optimized asap. I hope you guys will do it to attract more players and make current players enjoy this game even more.

they already said they would. you can see it in the patch notes for future updates.

Being able to destroy another players property in PvE should be THE top priority of the team, as its pretty much game breaking. That's obviously not the case unfortunately. 

They clearly dont' really care about PvE. If they did it would already be fixed. >.> Meanwhile, I get to live on an island where some dude sank my boat/salvaged it and then acted like he didn't do anything wrong.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MaxPower said:

On Resources: 

Come on, you know damn well what the problem is... its the same as it was in Ark. People are foundation spamming the lawless regions and its preventing resources from spawning due to the laughably large block range on foundations. This was foreseeable since its been happening for years in Ark and while many of us would LOVE to leave lawless in Atlas the terrible claim system is currently preventing that. 

Now, a large block range made sense in Ark. The Island was covered in trees/rocks and people wanted to build huge dino pens without having trees and stuff in the way. You don't have such a need in Atlas. There is no real need to have a football field of clear land around every foundation and just like Ark, it allows for easy griefing and a lack of resources for the players that need them most. I see no reason the foundation block range couldn't be reduced to only a few feet. Its not like people were complaining when there was no blocking at all.... 

PvE Exploits: 

Nice to know that the only thing keeping my ships from being sunk right now are other players behaving. I'm sure that stren talking to will help!

Oh right, that's not working... someone was in chat before bragging about all the ships they've sunk and salvaged on PVE. I doubt a hollow threat that the GM is going to get them will make it stop, especially since its really hard to report such activity when they sink your ship while you're sleeping. What's frustrating is this has been a known issue since launch and isn't a hard one to fix: Ships can't be sunk due to weight in PVE, they just don't move. Being able to destroy another players property in PvE should be THE top priority of the team, as its pretty much game breaking. That's obviously not the case unfortunately. 

Lol i actually found the guys doing that and made lots of screenshots, found a support ticket on forum and submitted it and you know what? My ticket was deleted like it never existed and those players still walking around doing their stuff! Seems like that system doesent even work or mb their GMs are too lasy to investigate each case.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Percieval said:

Well I still believe the tames are fine. They’re harvesting the right amount imo. 

Well we're not talking about harvesting are we? We're talking about overall taming which includes both combat and harvesting. I also agree that the harvesting portion of tames is fine but combat is lackluster to say the least. 

Dude you are what every dev team needs. If every game had a jat, the world would be a happier place. Verbose, wordy, whatever. This is awesome, keep it up and I look forward to reading more of these :)

• Like 2

Mate you seem to be ignoring a significant number of people who are asking a clear question. It's a big question, we get that, but need need to know the direction you are going so we can decide if its worth the wait. 

Game Design...

It has flaws right now. What are you doing to address it? What direction are you taking the game? What mechanics are you investigating for offline raid protection? How do you plan to make the game fun for groups who are tiny compared to the zergs? Trade? Whats the plan here? Economy? How will it be implemented?

There's so much potential here. But there's also a heap of frustrated players who have already left because the game design is encouraging the type of game play that appeals to the bullies of the community. 

Oh and please... Why are there no fresh water sources on perfectly lush islands? We want to raise crops, we want to cook. But it's a complete waste of time right now due to the significant work to keep them going. Let us irrigate!

Edited by Sklex
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

Based on our investigation thus far, resources are certainly respawning on these grids, and the signs point to the structure spawn-prevention radius causing confusion and leading to the reports. This system is native to the game but wasn't present during our initial launch due to Lawless Regions being listed as Homeservers, so from a technical point of view, it's intentional, however, I know better than to rule out possibilities for other issues (hence they're investigating). There's an argument that the radius itself needs to be adjusted, so we'll have to think on that.

Yes, I think the radius needs to be decreased simply because this isn't a 70 some player game anymore, it's an MMO.  That means a lot of traffic coming and going.  In ARK, Conan, D&L and all the other morphs of the Unreal engine, that default large radius was fine as there was always a small number of players impacted.

This, of course, would also change (but only slightly) if there was a change to claim land in other areas.  But so far, everything is taken, heck even areas that have no benefit to anyone but a cow are taken. 

I'm loving the game and so are my friends, we were there at launch slogging through that lag mud that everyone complained about.  I real feel the team need to step back from the concept of this being one of the Unreal morphs and look at how MMOs have to push everything up to the edge to fit everyone in.  There isn't room to have wide open spaces, there are just to many people wanting to play.

• Like 2

Just now, azmoodeus said:

Well we're not talking about harvesting are we? We're talking about overall taming which includes both combat and harvesting. I also agree that the harvesting portion of tames is fine but combat is lackluster to say the least. 

Yes and I already stated that I can understand they don’t want tames to have a big effect on raiding. It’s more about the shits and crew in this game. 

• Like 1

@Jatheish Thank you.  It's finally nice to know there's an actual human on the other side. US President FDR used to have what he called 'fireside chats.'  They were hugely popular because people felt as if he had just walked into their homes, sat down and explained things. IMHO, for now, this type of monologue is going to win you a lot more respect and patience than a propaganda filled 'Captain's Log.'

Well done.

Glad to see this topic, been wanting something like this for awhile.  Always great to know what's a bug, what's intended, and what you are aware of and on your to-do list.

Keep your heads up.

-It would be nice to get one of these on hot topics like your stance on offline protections, solo and small group players place in the game, and on if the claims system is in a good place or if it needs changed still.

1 minute ago, Percieval said:

Yes and I already stated that I can understand they don’t want tames to have a big effect on raiding. It’s more about the shits and crew in this game. 

They and you haven't mentioned raiding, at least not in the posts in this thread. That's a completely different aspect. I'm talking about the PvE part. 

Speaking of raiding, tames are still useful. A bear with a cannon cart 👍

1 hour ago, Jatheish said:

The overall goal with these changes was to ensure sure that weapons were more effective against higher armoured players, whilst not making the lower tiers completely worthless. The primary change you should notice is that the weapons themselves are more piercing and have had their base damage reduced to reflect this. Clearly, this had some knock-on effects on how players dealt with creatures (tamed and wild), which we expected but to know the full extent of the changes it is best witnessed in a live environment. The gameplay/balance team are consuming your feedback and will make adjustments when necessary, it’s possible that there may be some potential tweaks too with some multipliers which are being looked at right now. Not going to confirm anything is being changed right this instant, but just acknowledge that we’re aware of the feedback and it is actively being discussed internally.

So this was supposed to happen then and wanted us to need 2 headshots from pistol to kill a lvl 1 wolf. Ok, gonna stick with a stone age bow then while sporadicaly rage quiting from being unable to clear 3 wolves every minute that spawns on tundra.

In case it may be seen as a rage post (tbh, it may even be, guns are useless, even on stream seen a naked guy take only 60+ dmg from bodyshoot and only 39 dmg from strongest gun, carbine  against a plated armor bodyshot), reduce animals hp by 2x, then we can again one-shot their heads, otherwise why waste 10 seconds reloading for something like 160 or whatever headshot when w ecan stick in this time like 6-7 stone arrows that do incredibly more damage except without one-shoting heads we always gonna take damage, no matter how much more dps the bow have. Not to mention some animals don't even have a head hitbox (horse, sheep, shark, fish, turtle and propably more) so doing 75 dmg to their body takes alot, both time and resources.

Edited by Nightstrasza
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, azmoodeus said:

They and you haven't mentioned raiding, at least not in the posts in this thread. That's a completely different aspect. I'm talking about the PvE part. 

Speaking of raiding, tames are still useful. A bear with a cannon cart 👍

Yes for the raiding player vs player. That is logic. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

......we removed these changes and have set it back to our initial design. These servers are meant to be unclaimable land to allow players to gain a foothold once they’ve left Freeports, but they’re meant to be a temporary area before setting sail into the wide ATLAS!

LOLOLOL.

Maybe you should actually take a look at the state of your game before making bold statements like that. If that is the point of Lawless servers then you need to decrease the amount of resources it takes to craft things by at least 70%. You can't have ARK clone and expect people to play the game any differently, because there is very little different in this game to that one. You are expecting people to grind 500000 ish resources to craft a Galleon that "might" survive the night by traveling around all over god's creation to gather materials that might not even be on islands because they don't spawn anymore with reverted changed and somehow expect to find that fun and engaging?

Are we even playing the same game? Fix claims so people don't have to pick at the scraps that exist on Lawless servers. You're jumping 50 builds into the future expecting players to deal with it and all that's going to do is make people stop playing. Unless that is your goal or has seemed like your goal since this game launched. Stop taking 1 step forward and 3 steps back. The patches and fixes have been nice but the constant shooting yourself in the foot is getting old.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Grodgen said:

LOLOLOL.

Maybe you should actually take a look at the state of your game before making bold statements like that. If that is the point of Lawless servers then you need to decrease the amount of resources it takes to craft things by at least 70%. You can't have ARK clone and expect people to play the game any differently, because there is very little different in this game to that one. You are expecting people to grind 500000 ish resources to craft a Galleon that "might" survive the night by traveling around all over god's creation to gather materials that might not even be on islands because they don't spawn anymore with reverted changed and somehow expect to find that fun and engaging?

Are we even playing the same game? Fix claims so people don't have to pick at the scraps that exist on Lawless servers. You're jumping 50 builds into the future expecting players to deal with it and all that's going to do is make people stop playing. Unless that is your goal or has seemed like your goal since this game launched. Stop taking 1 step forward and 3 steps back. The patches and fixes have been nice but the constant shooting yourself in the foot is getting old.

He never said that. I don’t know where you have that from. 

• Like 1

I appreciate you being honest and working towards making the game better. Right now it's been hard playing due to the new patch causing issues with the lawless land. I would love for you to fix the radius and the bug it has become. We have some areas with trees next to foundations on L7 on NA pvp.

He never said that. I don’t know where you have that from. 

It clearly says " they’re meant to be a temporary area before setting sail into the wide ATLAS! " and in it's current state with the current expectation... yes. That is exactly what they just told the community.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grodgen said:

It clearly says " they’re meant to be a temporary area before setting sail into the wide ATLAS! " and in it's current state with the current expectation... yes. That is exactly what they just told the community.

No?

You were talking about a 70% resource requirement release because you want to build a galleon.

But that is your decision. You can leave it with a raft or a galleon, don’t be surprised a galleon takes more resources than a raft. Stays your decision. 

Edited by Percieval
  • Thanks 1

No?

You were talking about a 70% resource requirement release because you want to build a galleon.

But that is your decision. You can leave it with a raft or a galleon, don’t be surprised a galleon takes more resources than a raft. Stays your decision. 

1lpu6liz_400x400.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Grodgen said:

1lpu6liz_400x400.jpeg

Haha, nice one. I believe that defines your first comment of Jat’s original post, but that’s just me. 

• Like 1