INVALID

Jat's Musings: Patch v10

20 minutes ago, Cptn_Plucky said:

they already said they would. you can see it in the patch notes for future updates.

I cant find anything about game optimization which says we are going to have better fps.

7 minutes ago, Percieval said:

He never said that. I don’t know where you have that from. 

Grodgen might be exaggerating a bit but what he's saying is true. Jat DID say that lawless is suppose to be unclaimable land that's just a stepping stone.... and that's a problem right now. People ARE claiming large chunks of lawless with foundations and their foundation spam is blocking the spawning of resources. Its pretty hard to get a foothold when there are no resources spawning. This is made into a larger problem by the amount of people living in lawless because its very hard to find a claim anywhere for solo/small group players. 

I'd also be happy to leave lawless and just live on my ship... but right now some d-bad can easily sink it even in PvE, so that's out too. The whole thing is a cluster right now that's making the game unplayable. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Grodgen might be exaggerating a bit but what he's saying is true. Jat DID say that lawless is suppose to be unclaimable land that's just a stepping stone.... and that's a problem right now. People ARE claiming large chunks of lawless with foundations and their foundation spam is blocking the spawning of resources. Its pretty hard to get a foothold when there are no resources spawning. This is made into a larger problem by the amount of people living in lawless because its very hard to find a claim anywhere for solo/small group players. 

I'd also be happy to leave lawless and just live on my ship... but right now some d-bad can easily sink it even in PvE, so that's out too. The whole thing is a cluster right now that's making the game unplayable. 

I’m not saying he is wrong about everything. He was saying something that was not true about Jat’s post and I said that. 

As far as his statement went about the 70% or any kind of decrease - Have any understanding about what an huge exploit this would be for the larger companies.

Do I hate the foundation spam on lawless? Sure. 

Edited by Percieval
  • Like 1

this is likely the kill shot for the game, PVE especially, do you even understand why we are building in lawless? Have you bothered to engage the community?

The bullshit claim system you have stopped us from being able to find anywhere, a single player who can get an entire Island and tax it.

So what do you do? You paper over the cracks trying to change the claim flags so allow new players to build in claimed land, this is at the choice of the land owner (ohh can you now see the language im using), the LANDOWNER can get tax from them, fair enough. 

Yet how can that possibly be a reliable model for a game? As anyone who has played the game from the beginning has a unique advantage over any future players.

you may as well call it Bexatlas, you have created a group of 1% ers and the lower class. tell me in what reality is someone going to want to play a game, especially on PVE where they want to be the working class paying rent? 

So we decided we want to be the lawless...(you made us do this) and build in lawless so we can play the game. We built a community in the lawless sector, helped each other and started having a really good experience and fell in love with the game.

But you now killed it for us. You dont listen to the community, you dont look at what the community is trying to achieve, you dont seem to let people naturally evolve the game for you. You are using ARK models for a game that is built on it but is totally different and has different requirements.

Lawless regions have become the homes for the outcasts, for those who due to your broken claim system have no where to go other than stop playing and move on to another game.

I like it on lawless sorry I did...

oh and to add, imagine the new players coming into the game, they will only ever be rent payers. If all the current players stayed and owned land, long term, then they have no hope of ever being a land owner and will only ever be able to rent land and resources. Even if you open up new servers the cycle will continue. 1%ers and the tax payers. the idea does not stand up.

Shortly after launch, we temporarily hacked up a change which turned Lawless Regions into Homeservers and enabled some special settings on them which prevented Alpha Creatures from spawning, it had faster respawns when it comes to harvestables, and weather events (or might have just been rain) were disabled. In the latest update, we removed these changes and have set it back to our initial design. These servers are meant to be unclaimable land to allow players to gain a foothold once they’ve left Freeports, but they’re meant to be a temporary area before setting sail into the wide ATLAS!

Based on our investigation thus far, resources are certainly respawning on these grids, and the signs point to the structure spawn-prevention radius causing confusion and leading to the reports. This system is native to the game but wasn't present during our initial launch due to Lawless Regions being listed as Homeservers, so from a technical point of view, it's intentional, however, I know better than to rule out possibilities for other issues (hence they're investigating).There's an argument that the radius itself needs to be adjusted, so we'll have to think on that. Keep in mind that this can change, whilst there may be some things we’re unlikely to change, it doesn’t mean that we’re set in stone. We’ll keep you posted if we have any updates!

Edited by Seren Du
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Jatheish - why no response about the 6 hour claim time bug?

Enemy flags are all counting as if they have 0 claims, which makes EVERYTHING take 6 hours! 

Pure madness, and it is really stalling pvp extremely badly!

Can we expect this to be fixed soon??

New changes in a recent update:

- Changed how custom blueprints are crafted for STACKABLE items when they're given a stat roll:
> If a stackable item is crafted from the same blueprint and you already have an item crafted from that blueprint in your inventory, it will stack on that pre-existing item and not receive a different Intelligence Stat Bonus.
> If you want a different roll from the same blueprint, you must make sure that you do not have an item which was crafted from that same BP in your inventory (stated or non)
> This means that you can keep rolls by keeping the item in your inventory when crafting from the BP, even if you do not have the level of intelligence required to get the crafting bonus. Alternatively, you can remove the stated item from your inventory to get a new roll from the BP.
- Resource respawn should now function as they did on Lawless servers prior to v10.
- 50% reduction in the enemy structure prevention radius so that you can now build closer together on Lawless Servers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Small groups need to be given a least a carrot to play with, even if the limit claims to 1 for small groups. But saying lawless is a stepping stone really irks me the wrong way when people have been tell these devs, since the game launched, that claims need to be dealt with or any vision they have of whatever game design they are planning is literally a pipe dream. And they used the wrong word as well, a foothold implies they are staying (Which they clearly don't want you to do, for whatever reason). What they actually intent for them to be is a pit stop and to move onto claimable land. But we all know how that is going.

2 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

New changes in a recent update:

- Changed how custom blueprints are crafted for STACKABLE items when they're given a stat roll:
> If a stackable item is crafted from the same blueprint and you already have an item crafted from that blueprint in your inventory, it will stack on that pre-existing item and not receive a different Intelligence Stat Bonus.
> If you want a different roll from the same blueprint, you must make sure that you do not have an item which was crafted from that same BP in your inventory (stated or non)
> This means that you can keep rolls by keeping the item in your inventory when crafting from the BP, even if you do not have the level of intelligence required to get the crafting bonus. Alternatively, you can remove the stated item from your inventory to get a new roll from the BP.
- Resource respawn should now function as they did on Lawless servers prior to v10.
- 50% reduction in the enemy structure prevention radius so that you can now build closer together on Lawless Servers.

"- Resource respawn should now function as they did on Lawless servers prior to v10."

Thank you..... now talk to the team about claims. That is quite possibly the biggest issue right now for both PVP and PVE. I can imagine player will be crying if you manage to remedy that.

3 minutes ago, Seren Du said:

this is likely the kill shot for the game, PVE especially, do you even understand why we are building in lawless? Have you bothered to engage the community?

The bullshit claim system you have stopped us from being able to find anywhere, a single player who can get an entire Island and tax it.

So what do you do? You paper over the cracks trying to change the claim flags so allow new players to build in claimed land, this is at the choice of the land owner (ohh can you now see the language im using), the LANDOWNER can get tax from them, fair enough. 

Yet how can that possibly be a reliable model for a game? As anyone who has played the game from the beginning has a unique advantage over any future players.

you may as well call it Bexatlas, you have created a group of 1% ers and the lower class. tell me in what reality is someone going to want to play a game, especially on PVE where they want to be the working class paying rent? 

So we decided we want to be the lawless...(you made us do this) and build in lawless so we can play the game. We built a community in the lawless sector, helped each other and started having a really good experience and fell in love with the game.

But you now killed it for us. You dont listen to the community, you dont look at what the community is trying to achieve, you dont seem to let people naturally evolve the game for you. You are using ARK models for a game that is built on it but is totally different and has different requirements.

Lawless regions have become the homes for the outcasts, for those who due to your broken claim system have no where to go other than stop playing and move on to another game.

I like it on lawless sorry I did...

Shortly after launch, we temporarily hacked up a change which turned Lawless Regions into Homeservers and enabled some special settings on them which prevented Alpha Creatures from spawning, it had faster respawns when it comes to harvestables, and weather events (or might have just been rain) were disabled. In the latest update, we removed these changes and have set it back to our initial design. These servers are meant to be unclaimable land to allow players to gain a foothold once they’ve left Freeports, but they’re meant to be a temporary area before setting sail into the wide ATLAS!

Based on our investigation thus far, resources are certainly respawning on these grids, and the signs point to the structure spawn-prevention radius causing confusion and leading to the reports. This system is native to the game but wasn't present during our initial launch due to Lawless Regions being listed as Homeservers, so from a technical point of view, it's intentional, however, I know better than to rule out possibilities for other issues (hence they're investigating).There's an argument that the radius itself needs to be adjusted, so we'll have to think on that. Keep in mind that this can change, whilst there may be some things we’re unlikely to change, it doesn’t mean that we’re set in stone. We’ll keep you posted if we have any updates!

^^^^^^ THIS IS THE PROBLEM FOR PVE^^^^^^^^

Perfectly said, well explained, and fully encompasses the environment we experienced.

THERE IS NO LAND TO CLAIM ON PVE

ALLOWING ONE PERSON AN INFINITE AND ENDLESS AMOUNT OF CLAIMS IS JUST PLAIN STUPID

PUNISHING those of us on Lawless for playing how PvE should ACTUALLY BE, has cost you at least 15 of my friends

ALSO: not fixing exploits that take mere minutes to do but WRECK many hours of work is why I haven't left Lawless... IVE TRIED.

My current list of losses is:

3 Brigantines

3 Schooners

5 Sloops

and countless Rafts 

All to the griefers, OVERPOWERED SotD, and Storms randomly LOCKING your ship in place....

I just told my friend, I'm a pirate with Hydrophobia because E V E R Y  T I M E  I've saved up resources, built the ship, stocked it with supplies, maps, armor, weapons, food, work stations, DAYS of work.... I go sailing... 1 day later... It's at the bottom of the sea and I just COMPLETELY WASTED my time.

I've been with this game since the moment of release... over 150 hours in and you know what I've got... a tiny bit of land on Lawless... I personally have been through 20 sectors.... NOTHING LEFT TO CLAIM. Now you're saying the ONLY place left is NOT going to have resources????

So why don't you just put in proper text and say: "I'd say we care about your losses matey, but aye, we'd be lying, for the sea is cruel mistress that offers no apologies, so get on with walking the plank, and maybe Davey Jones will keep your cold dead corpse company. Begone with ye."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Really appreciate you taking the time to post this blog-type-thing, it's great to have some insight 🙂

Have the spawn right of wild aggressive creatures being brought into consideration? 

I understand wanting them to be more of a challenge, but as of the last couple days, it feels like we're having to wade through dozens of them to just make it to the shore of the island.  We had a wolf spawn inside our taming area, which proceeded to kill our tamed creatures.  Which is okay/whatever/can be handled but as we grabbed some weapons to head over there, we had to fight a pack of wolves to get up to the main base, then another pack of wolves to get to the taming base, then the wolf in the taming base, then another pack had come lined up outside the taming base again.  I died and spawned at another base on the same island, 8 wolves in range of THAT base.  We did eventually kill them all but not without several people dying because we can't outrun them, can't melee them, and either need fire arrows or to stand on a rock for a while (a long while as quite a few Alphas were roaming as well).

ATLAS is an amazing world and from the insights in this post, it seems like it's being pushed into a "you never feel safe" direction, which is awesome, but the spawn rate on these wild creatures is getting frustrating, tedious, and grating on my and others player experience.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dementare said:

ALLOWING ONE PERSON AN INFINITE AND ENDLESS AMOUNT OF CLAIMS IS JUST PLAIN STUPID

really need to stop with this.One person got the shaft by an unreliable system allowing all you whiners to come steal,everything other people worked hard to get and build,wheter they were 1 person 2 ,10 or 100.it didnt matter.

Complaints and people leaving the game for this nonsense flew in,system changed,now on PVE we stop living in fear of losing our hard spent time.

Its not about 1 or 2 or 50,they will do as they fit,its early access they can change or not as they like.

Pillars were and still are issue to many new folks in ARK,still those who know how to play know how to make do.

You will now be able to build on claimed land! on top you got lawless areas.

Getting claims for everyone in the game will not change anything.Claims alow you to decide the way your area would be run,and give some control unlike spreading for everyone like virus,building,loss of resources will make islands once livable barren desolate areas,used and thrown,like many of those stealers are doing now,and are protected by the new system.(just to show what happens when you give people what they ask for)

Communism is out the window,learn and adapt,stop whining,about stuff you didnt get handed to you,egoistical thinking,for your gain people will lose all they invested,if they do it should be from Devs decision and not cause you failed at the game,came late or whatever and didnt adept.

Edited by darcek

the respawns are not happening!!!

@Jatheish if you have left the foundation effect in place to block spawns then you have kinda missed the entire point of us complaining or bothering to try and communicate to you as stuff is still not respawning

1 minute ago, Seren Du said:

the respawns are not happening!!!

Should take a while before they start to appear again, 🙂 but we're monitoring it.

• Like 1

@Jatheish Still the number 1 concern of the entire PvP and PvE community has been left unanswered: What is your statement about the claimed flags? Will there ever be a cap on flags a person can place? Like 1 per person.. 1 person to claim entire islands is a but much. 

• Thanks 1

Adding locking to crafting stations, campfires etc. so quickly in this patch was a huge vote of confidence for us in the dev team. Gave us confidence in the future of the game. Resource respawn  reverse confirmed this.

@Jatheish - I skimmed through the replies and couldnt find anyone mentioning this:
Are there any plans to reduce the insane time it takes for the babies to mature enough not to die by random heatstrokes/freezing to death?

I tried to breed a cub (a baby bear) and while sitting at the beach in E11 it would go from being superhot to supercold needing campfires to survive.
This would have been fine however the time it took to go to 10% took about 5 hours of constant care and feeding it. And then i spent about 1-2 hours before i just gave up, i had kinda hoped that once it went juvenile it would be able to handle itself or atleast be more resistant to the temperature. If nothing else allow me to forcefeed it to regain HP but no matter how much meat, fish or berries i shoved down its throat its HP kept dropping by 0.3 each tick - it regained minor health at some points while being forcefed but nothing major that could prevent its death.

If we could cut down the timer it needs constant care and instead let it be on its merry own way after 2-4 hours then it would be viable.
Granted i didnt spend the remaining 40 something odd hours with the cub i dont see any reason for it to be able to handle itself any time sooner.

- Breeding. We want this to be more difficult than it was in ARK and for players to have to travel around the map to raise their species on ideal biomes. Whilst that does make it harder for smaller groups, arguably you could focus on breeding within your region and build up some beast mode tames to trade 

It's very nice to see a post like this, especially with previous history. I do have one question though and I'm not trying to complain about it or harass anyone but I was wondering something. Right now the game is a few weeks old (since Early Access launch). All land is already claimed, even after this short amount of time. I play on PvE simply because it's basically a necessity to be in a big company on PvP to survive which I understand and am fine with. So when everything is claimed on PvE, you cannot get any land. My small company of 5 currently has land in the tundra but the wolf spawn is insane. It definitely makes it a huge challenge to farm anything and we've had a few members quit because of it. They couldn't handle it so they gave up on the game entirely after realizing no better land was available. We desperately want out of the tundra but that's the only place we found a claim that was inactive and didn't have a character sleeping on the land. So we took it and have a few flags down. My main concern is what about in the future? Is the player-base supposed to grow, if so, how? Lawless territory is rapidly filling up since there is no territory left, the southern and northern servers are filling up and people are facing the challenge of wolves, yetis, and the temperature because there is little choice. Ever since we got a foothold in the tundra, we set up and built a few ships and set out on a search for safer, more enjoyable land to build on. None of the servers, we've checked at least the entire eastern quarter of the map, have any land available. There is absolutely no shred of land available already. On PvP the claim system works and is cool and interesting and original but on PvE it just doesn't work. We find territory all the time that has no recent upkeep but cannot claim it simply because whoever quit the game left their character sleeping on the claim for all eternity. I'm not sure how that's supposed to work or how anyone will be able to progress if they joined today for the first time and went on the hunt for land. I do not think limiting amount of claims per company would solve anything because resources would become scarce quickly. The only solution I think would be effective would be to add more clusters. Right now there is NA-PVP, NA-PVE, EU-PVP, EU-PVE and i believe there should be more of them. There should be at least 2 or 3 more of each to accommodate any future player-base growth. Obviously PvP is about being strong enough to maintain land, and if needed, to take it. That is a really cool concept...for PvP. PvE it just doesn't work at all. The new building on others' land is a temporary fix that will accommodate a slight player-base growth but not a large long-term growth. So maybe just adding more clusters for the PvE servers? That's the only solution I think could keep the territory system in place and allow the game to expand. Right now, you have a limit of amount of players that can play the game. 

Just my thoughts. I enjoy the game and I love the concepts and I love the sailing. I just wish I could enjoy it without taking a step out of my door and getting murdered by 15 very powerful low level wolves and an invincible alpha wolf. It's PvE but it's not like we have gigas and rexes sitting around to eat these overpowered dogs. 🙂

@Jatheish
As someone who lived on lawless since the launch because there was no free land to take on claimable islands ( and fear of risk of people hacking and exploiting to steal hard work of normal players ) this is sad news, not only is our island 95% barren of any resources, halting our farming and growing, it also looks extremely ugly now, we live on an island next to freeport zone, and newbies sail over to the island build a tiny base ( most of the times not even with walls or roof ) and then they dont come back it seems, our island is cluttered with such abandoned bases that previously werent a problem, but now BLOCK resources. And I know many people say "go sail and get resources from other islands" but truthfully it doesnt sound normal to go to a different island just to get resources to build ones base, and what about getting resources to even build a ship to go in the first place ???
Or what about people who keep sinking ships of people, by exploiting, cheating, we have lost ships to such griefers, and are terrified to use whatever little 5% resources do spawn on the island now to craft a new one, we are stuck on our island now!

Please consider some of these options...

-Make pillars/gates to not block resource respawns just like ark ( I know..I know...pillar spamming fest will start, but now its foundation spamming fest (griefers), which is more ugly already, and atleast pillars wouldnt block resources)
-Also consider prohibiting people place structures ( that arent shipyards ) in ocean shore waters ( people are spamming pillars on shores to sink unaware approaching ships that look out for sandbank line, only to run suddenly into pillars and get their ship sunk!
-Fix overweight ship sinking exploit ( dont know if this is fixed already, but this is a MAJOR issue and reason why so many people dont build ships, and now with lawless islands resource block, building new ships is bloody nearly impossible!)
-Tames glitching through foundations and ceiling and platforms, we had our tames fall over 10 times now into foundations, under ceiling, and under cliff platforms, we are lucky that we initialy built our base on pillars on top of big rocks, which makes our tames glitch through these surfaces onto the rocks, that keep our tames safe from being dropped on the grass level for wild ones to kill them, but for those not living on rocks or high above ground safety, this is hazardous. It seems this happens much more frequently with non-native biome animals imported than native ones.

EDIT: "- Resource respawn should now function as they did on Lawless servers prior to v10." 
Thank you! 

Edited by Aery

23 minutes ago, darcek said:

really need to stop with this.One person got the shaft by an unreliable system allowing all you whiners to come steal,everything other people worked hard to get and build,wheter they were 1 person 2 ,10 or 100.it didnt matter.

Complaints and people leaving the game for this nonsense flew in,system changed,now on PVE we stop living in fear of losing our hard spent time.

Its not about 1 or 2 or 50,they will do as they fit,its early access they can change or not as they like.

Pillars were and still are issue to many new folks in ARK,still those who know how to play know how to make do.

You will now be able to build on claimed land! on top you got lawless areas.

Getting claims for everyone in the game will not change anything.

Communism is out the window,learn and adapt,stop whining,about stuff you didnt get handed to you,egoistical thinking,for your gain people will lose all they invested,if they do it should be from Devs decision and not cause you failed at the game,came late or whatever and didnt adept.

First all though it's just an ARK mod, it's not ARK,  I personally wouldn't have ever bought anything ARK related if it hadn't been single player and private server hosting. And  I know TONS of people who feel the same. ARK official servers have always been jacked and not a pleasant experience for alot of players. We did adapt, we played single player. This, is not ARK, it's being designed as an MMO, with thousands of players per server. So unless they address the land issues, or in my opinion eliminate them( it is a pirate game after all) people will not enjoy this land system in pve in mass. If a couple hundred people on a 40,000 person server own all the land, how successful do you think this will be.

We all have differing opinions here, but camping a claim for hours or days of RL to steal it or prevent it's theft isn't my idea of fun. But the truth is, the resources system and the claim system don't work together. Not enough land to build and still maintain a decent resource lvl

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Percieval said:

Check out Jat’s twitter. 

already aware of that as he replied to me directly but its already been quite some time...

• Confused 1

Just a note folks, I know you're bringing up a lot of different things in the post and I will read through them and discuss with the team -- just have some other things I'm looking into/working on atm. These blog posts of mine aren't intended to be final or cover all issues, just some hot topics that have come up recently. I am getting confirmations of trees reappearing on lawless servers too 🙂

Make sure you download the latest client to get the updated structure prevention change