Sign in to follow this  
Shakarian

Grapeshot secretly pushing away official players.

Consider a few things.

1.  Dev kit for unofficial server mod creation releases the same week they implement a broken resource system.  Which isn't a bug.  They said earlier they were doing this.

2.  There's only 2 servers regionally.  1 PVP and 1 PVE.  No intention of adding more any time soon.

3.  Current maps are completely consumed with claims, making it impossible (in my experience) to make a claim outside of a lawless system.  All challenges have failed, and there's no room to squeeze a new claim in anywhere.  This means, server is full.  It doesn't matter how many people they think they can squeeze into a server if they don't give us enough land.

4.  Island are terrible.  Most islands aren't really islands.  They're just pillars of rocks, with only 5-10% of the surface area capable of being inhabited or holding resources.

5.  They break the resource spawn radius around foundations with no word or intention of reducing it.

SO from all this I can only presume 1 thing.  Grapeshot wants to force it's players onto unofficial servers, in order to avoid having to expand their server needs or redesign islands to be more habitable to more players.  Deceptively griefing their own customers with unsustainably low resource respawns to force them to play somewhere else.  And a lot of people talk about it like it's a move to just force people off lawless islands... but where are they going to go?  I mean really?  Is there really room out there for thousands of more players to sail and set up on islands already completely consumed with claims?  No.  Get that stupid thought out of your minds.  It's not even remotely realistic.

They already need more server.  They're not going to give us more servers.  So they're trying to frustrate people just enough to go unofficial.

Edited by Shakarian
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Pappy Green said:

Prepare yourself, the polemics are coming.

I'm honestly prepared for being banned from the forums for this post.  I'm almost positive encouraging an exodus from official servers was a recent management meeting topic, as a resolution for server overpopulation/stress, rather than opening more servers to fit our needs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shakarian said:

I'm honestly prepared for being banned from the forums for this post.  I'm almost positive encouraging an exodus from official servers was a recent management meeting topic, as a resolution for server overpopulation/stress, rather than opening more servers to fit our needs.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats"

- H.L. Mencken

• Like 2

Funny, but I dont think they ever fully intended on not doing a dev kit for the unofficial servers.  And it isnt a bad thing. 

As for the claims.. uh there are hundreds of dead claims out there that can just be taken from dead companies.  The population is 60% of what it was at launch so it is just a matter of finding those areas and following the classic expansionist empire tradition... and take it.

@Shakarian - What they need is one main server that is a blend between PvE, lite-PvP and full blown PvP, and they most certainly need a much, much larger map, with regions for designed for various purposes, like for instance lawless islands could be those where people are trying claim land for them selves where they can set their laws and build their communities, etc. There could be other regions that are intended to being explored and people will hunt for treasure, and so on. In some way you could say it would be similar how Eve online has it's various security sectors with high-sec, low-sec and null-sec being the equivalent to PvE, lite-PvP and full blown PvP respectively. Freeports should be large cities, hubs that oozes with life and activities to engage in.

But in regards to if they actively and secretly trying to push people away from the official servers, I don't think so, but anything is possible. I'd be more prone to saying it's a matter of them not thinking it through, and perhaps them releasing the dev kit is just a way of saying they're not able to keep up with the infrastructure in terms of demand. There could be other factors involved.

54 minutes ago, Shakarian said:

Consider a few things.

1.  Dev kit for unofficial server mod creation releases the same week they implement a broken resource system.  Which isn't a bug.  They said earlier they were doing this.

2.  There's only 2 servers regionally.  1 PVP and 1 PVE.  No intention of adding more any time soon.

3.  Current maps are completely consumed with claims, making it impossible (in my experience) to make a claim outside of a lawless system.  All challenges have failed, and there's no room to squeeze a new claim in anywhere.  This means, server is full.  It doesn't matter how many people they think they can squeeze into a server if they don't give us enough land.

4.  Island are terrible.  Most islands aren't really islands.  They're just pillars of rocks, with only 5-10% of the surface area capable of being inhabited or holding resources.

5.  They break the resource spawn radius around foundations with no word or intention of reducing it.

SO from all this I can only presume 1 thing.  Grapeshot wants to force it's players onto unofficial servers, in order to avoid having to expand their server needs or redesign islands to be more habitable to more players.  Deceptively griefing their own customers with unsustainably low resource respawns to force them to play somewhere else.  And a lot of people talk about it like it's a move to just force people off lawless islands... but where are they going to go?  I mean really?  Is there really room out there for thousands of more players to sail and set up on islands already completely consumed with claims?  No.  Get that stupid thought out of your minds.  It's not even remotely realistic.

They already need more server.  They're not going to give us more servers.  So they're trying to frustrate people just enough to go unofficial.

Yeah they want you on unofficial.

but no, it isn’t because they don’t want to make more servers. There is only about 1/4 of the capacity of all 4 clusters as we speak and at any time. 

They do want to get rid of officials because it costs them money, as to where unofficials don’t cost them money.

pretty genius actually. You buy the “early access” game. The. You test the game for them for free. Then you go buy your own servers. 

You are literally paying for all of their costs 😂 wait till micro transactions come about. They left stuff out of the game so you could pay even money money for stuff that should be in the game for free.

these guys are masters at getting people money. I hate them but I do respect how good they are at jacking people for their money 😂

• Haha 1

I don't think its that they are trying to force people off of official servers. It seems more like they're trying to annihilate solo players and small companies. Its pretty clear they have no regard for anyone but large companies and streamers and they want to push everyone into just a few big groups. 

I mean just look at the biggest issues right now. The lack of resources in lawless don't impact large groups, so its not important. Solo players having little change of taking/holding claims doesn't impact large groups, so its not important. PvE ship sinking doesn't impact larger companies (or PVP) so its not a priority. However when streamers were getting their galleons sunk after last nights patch thanks to messed up SotD you better believe that received a rapid fire hot fix. Can't have the streamers getting upset now can we?

And while the SotD rapid fire bug impacts everyone and absolutely needed a hot fix,  just as many people are losing ships to the over weight sinking in PvE. Hell, there is someone in chat in my server RIGHT NOW laughing about how they go around sinking peoples ships ON PVE. Yet that has gone un-fixed for two weeks. Why? Because its not something hurting streamers or large companies. 

16 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

I don't think its that they are trying to force people off of official servers. It seems more like they're trying to annihilate solo players and small companies. Its pretty clear they have no regard for anyone but large companies and streamers and they want to push everyone into just a few big groups. 

I mean just look at the biggest issues right now. The lack of resources in lawless don't impact large groups, so its not important. Solo players having little change of taking/holding claims doesn't impact large groups, so its not important. PvE ship sinking doesn't impact larger companies (or PVP) so its not a priority. However when streamers were getting their galleons sunk after last nights patch thanks to messed up SotD you better believe that received a rapid fire hot fix. Can't have the streamers getting upset now can we?

And while the SotD rapid fire bug impacts everyone and absolutely needed a hot fix,  just as many people are losing ships to the over weight sinking in PvE. Hell, there is someone in chat in my server RIGHT NOW laughing about how they go around sinking peoples ships ON PVE. Yet that has gone un-fixed for two weeks. Why? Because its not something hurting streamers or large companies. 

If they lose the streamers and the streamers followers, they will go from 37k daily to 10k daily max 😂

they really don’t want that man 

1 hour ago, Shakarian said:

There have been worse on the forum. 

22 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

If they are trying to get rid of solos it is quite the turn...

QguszjV.png

3 minutes ago, Pappy Green said:

If they are trying to get rid of solos it is quite the turn...

Wildcard is very well known, and documented as having absolutely no clue what they are doing from any point in time to another. The amount of times they have blatantly gone back on their words, changed what they mean and in general, lied about things, is quite high. Never take Wildcard on their word because, fundamentally, it's been proven to be worse and less then meaningless. 

Edited by Ellentro

Oh, I hear ya'. "Mod kit later this week", "update in 30 minutes (20 minutes later), update in 30 minutes...", "v10 out tomorrow (tomorrow) out tomorrow...", et cetera.