Sign in to follow this  
Murreth

Building up a mountain

Hey all, I've got a problem, the Island that I've settled on is mostly flat and empty so that's good, the problem is all the resources are at the top of a sort of cone shaped mountain in the center of it. I climbed up it using the climbing picks and put a bed and some basics up there, so we just farm and then jump down. But I'd like to have an easy way up. I've tried building and I can get close to the top but every time I do I either get the "too high above ground" message making it so I can't place anything or the slope of the rock face makes it so I end up trying to place walls into the rock.

Just wondering if anyone, perhaps some old Ark players who are used to this building system, can give me any tips because this shit is driving me bonkers. lol

Can you place floors on top of the cliff? If you can, extend the floor past the edge of the cliff then you could probably build an elevator. Just keep in mind you will want to hire crew to make elevator use smooth. 

You could also build a cliff ledge and attach the elevator to it and then use stairs for the rest of the way.

Edited by xsantos78x
Spelling

Have you tried the pillar stack/ceiling/ladder thing? You stack 3 pillars up, put a ceiling on the top, run a ladder from the ceiling down, climb the ladder, place the next stack of three pillars a little forward on the slope, add a ceiling, add ladders etc. etc. You end up with a staggered series of pillar/ladder columns, but it works to get you up. I don't know if that's exactly your issue, but if it is, that might work.

And have you tried the glider suit for coming down from the mountain? I think it's in the armor tree.

Edited by Ringo O'Rourke

Not sure if your still having the issue, but a screenshot of the area you are wanting to build on would likely help in coming up with better ideas for getting you up there faster.  I'm not entirely positive how far a rope ladder can extend or if it can be placed off of a boat(have not tried) but you could do a pillar/ceiling system near the edge of the cliff and simply extend a ladder down from there, rope would allow you to extend/retract whenever you want.

I'll post some pics of what I've done and the location tomorrow, I'm ruined right now. lol

Apologies, real life got in the way. Here are the screenshots.

https://imgur.com/a/kI0ieZR

Now be gentle, I didn't play Ark so this is my first time using this building system. The issues as I said above are either I get the "too high above ground" message when I get almost to the top, or as I build up the cliff slopes outward from the top of the mountain and I end up building into rock which obv it won't allow, and if I try to go outward from it I eventually get the "too high" message again.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

That's an almost vertical cliff, so in my experience (some Ark, and experimenting in ATLAS) is you want to stack pillars upward as your scaffold, not walls. With the pillars you can cap them with ceilings every so often which gives you snaps to hang ladders from. Then you stack the next set of pillars on top of that ceiling.

Since the climb is so high I would suggest putting 2 ceilings at each interval. One to cap the pillar, and a second ceiling attached to it to use to hang your ladder from. (You can make it a ceiling-door and hang it from the edge of the door). This is because you may need a platform every so often to place more pillars or maneuver. 

Make sure you plant your first pillar far enough outward that there is always room to put down the ceiling.

And climbing picks are pretty useful when building up a cliff face. You can actually place structures when hanging from the side of a cliff with picks.

• Like 1

TYVM for your help, I'm just installing a new HD on my server computer, once that's done and I can run an atlas server again I'll test this out!

Thanks again!