Sign in to follow this  
Pappy Green

Declining population

20 hours ago, Pappy Green said:

Steam spy claims 500k-1M copies sold, just going off that. But if it's less, then that's more worrisome. 

Sorry I normally dont comment on topics like this but this is one of those mornings for me.

Let me ask you these questions.

1- Are you a business finance expert?

2- Have you ever worked in the business development of a game company? (Major or minor) 

-If so what company and how long were you there.

3- What makes you qualified to comment on another companies business model when absolutely zero percent of that information has been released?

In short stop fear mongering and just enjoy the ride, one way or the other. 

I'm exhausted by this game. Over 100 hours played and the game just loves taking things away. I've said it many time before, a game with a Zap Brannigan level of success is no fun. Throw waves upon waves, death after death, just to get something done. If I wanted that as a game I'd go play Dark souls. At least gave you satisfactory rewards.

4 minutes ago, Hodo said:

Sorry I normally dont comment on topics like this but this is one of those mornings for me.

Let me ask you these questions.

1- Are you a business finance expert?

2- Have you ever worked in the business development of a game company? (Major or minor) 

-If so what company and how long were you there.

3- What makes you qualified to comment on another companies business model when absolutely zero percent of that information has been released?

In short stop fear mongering and just enjoy the ride, one way or the other. 

I am merely speculating. It's what curious minds do. No, I am not a business finance expert, but I have run a business. I have been involved in multi-million dollar business projects. I am professionally employed as a software developer (US Federal Government). In my personal time I develop small scale game projects, or modules you could say. Again, it is only speculation, something one might do if they have interest in a project. If it scares you, don't do it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Muffinman said:

I'm exhausted by this game. Over 100 hours played and the game just loves taking things away. I've said it many time before, a game with a Zap Brannigan level of success is no fun. Throw waves upon waves, death after death, just to get something done. If I wanted that as a game I'd go play Dark souls. At least gave you satisfactory rewards.

No offense if you are dying constantly then you are doing something wrong at this point.   Is it players that are killing you?  Is it animals?  Is it the environment?  Or are you just starving to death every hour?

4 minutes ago, Pappy Green said:

I am merely speculating. It's what curious minds do. No, I am not a business finance expert, but I have run a business. I have been involved in multi-million dollar business projects. I am professionally employed as a software developer (US Federal Government). In my personal time I develop small scale game projects, or modules you could say. Again, it is only speculation, something one might do if they have interest in a project. If it scares you, don't do it.

I am not scared, it is just pointless speculation.  Without any of the facts, you are basing your information off of hearsay.  Would YOU as a small business person, ever consider running your financial projections on pure speculation?

I am basing my opinion on the available facts. I am not telling Grapeshot how to run their business. I don't expect them to listen to me, and as you said, why should they. But as someone who has interest in this project I am perfectly within my rights to wonder about the long term feasibility of the project. Servers cost money, salaries cost money, office space, yadda yadda. It is quite easy to burn through millions of dollars. For instance, 15*15*4 high bandwidth servers, how much do you think that costs? I'd guess in the neighborhood of $100k a month, that's $1.2M a year just for the server hosting.

22 hours ago, Pappy Green said:

Perhaps Grabshot will start to figure it out. All time peak 58,788, last 24hours 37,734, 10 minutes ago 31,052...

https://steamcharts.com/app/834910

No matter what the fan boys say. There are a ton of videos like this on youtube and when someone wants to play a new game they always look up ratings and youtube videos. This is only the just beginning to the hate videos to come. Sadly it would have been as great as WoW imo but all the fan boys who keep trying to tell everyone its just EA is not helping keep players but making them feel jaded that people are dumb enough that they dont get its EA.

2 minutes ago, Scorpionshawn said:

No matter what the fan boys say. There are a ton of videos like this on youtube and when someone wants to play a new game they always look up ratings and youtube videos. This is only the just beginning to the hate videos to come. Sadly it would have been as great as WoW imo but all the fan boys who keep trying to tell everyone its just EA is not helping keep players but making them feel jaded that people are dumb enough that they dont get its EA.

Sceptical vid. It’s so stupid to make a video about all the negative sides of an EA game than the positives. I’m kinda done with the people saying ‘People saying its EA...’ 

It is EA; it is Alpha, we are testing a game for the developers, that is what we signed up for when we bought the game. All the people telling or thinking otherwise are pure ignorant. Get away with those people. 

4 minutes ago, Scorpionshawn said:

playing 39 min ago

To be fair, that number is misleading as the numbers I posted were peaks, and peak time is around 4-5PM EST.

1 hour ago, Scorpionshawn said:

It's no really anything to do with being a fan boy, there's just the obvious, i know it sounds patronizing or douche-baggy, but EA is EA. When they said 2 years till launch, i'm confused why people ran out to buy it? People scream about bugs and how janky things are, but it's like, what's to be expected? They are patching the crap out of the game, it's not like they're chilling and saying "Yup, the games release, enjoy"

That's just honest thoughts, just feels like people are complaining about something being something it's meant to be or working as intended to until they actually officially release.

1 minute ago, Herasea said:

It's no really anything to do with being a fan boy, there's just the obvious, i know it sounds patronizing or douche-baggy, but EA is EA. When they said 2 years till launch, i'm confused why people ran out to buy it? People scream about bugs and how janky things are, but it's like, what's to be expected? They are patching the crap out of the game, it's not like they're chilling and saying "Yup, the games release, enjoy"

That's just honest thoughts, just feels like people are complaining about something being something it's meant to be or working as intended to until they actually officially release.

I accept its EA but are people not suppose to say this and that is busted and ruining the game? My issuses is when you do this the fan boys will dismiss your comment like thats going to inprove the lack of fun in the game. ARK was also EA but it had a ton stronger numbers than this with in this time frame and that was for a reason! This whole thing reminds me of Dark and Light it was a off shoot of Ark 403 playing that game now its dead

2 hours ago, Percieval said:

Sceptical vid. It’s so stupid to make a video about all the negative sides of an EA game than the positives. I’m kinda done with the people saying ‘People saying its EA...’ 

It is EA; it is Alpha, we are testing a game for the developers, that is what we signed up for when we bought the game. All the people telling or thinking otherwise are pure ignorant. Get away with those people. 

The fact that is this far in beta means it is almost criminal to charge 25 and now 30 dollars for it. Maybe 10 max. 

They didn’t even have the decency to charge 10 dollars even though we are testing it for them.

they are charging half of the normal release price but this is not even half of the game. Totally unethical 

2 hours ago, Pappy Green said:

To be fair, that number is misleading as the numbers I posted were peaks, and peak time is around 4-5PM EST.

Yeah it is better to look at the average which is slightly above 35k. Over 3k less than usual. There is a trend of about 50 less a day so even the kids at school argument doesn’t work because that was the initial 3k decline. The decline is still slow increasing though. Very slowly but still consistent 

8 minutes ago, Scorpionshawn said:

I accept its EA but are people not suppose to say this and that is busted and ruining the game? My issuses is when you do this the fan boys will dismiss your comment like thats going to inprove the lack of fun in the game. ARK was also EA but it had a ton stronger numbers than this with in this time frame and that was for a reason! This whole thing reminds me of Dark and Light it was a off shoot of Ark 403 playing that game now its dead

Not everyone you disagree with is a fan boy.  I'm not sure why you keep on about that or if you honestly think it discredits anyone by doing so but it is getting old quick.  We are at 3 weeks since the game released in an early access alpha-beta state.  There are definitely issues that need to be addressed, but the game population not being insane isn't actually a huge problem.  It will fluctuate and there will be bugs that break the game and drive many people away.  We simply do not have enough information to go off of to make the call that this game is dying.  To be honest, the only thing I can think that you are trying to accomplish here by acting like this in 2 different forum posts, is to try to scare people and drive them away.

2 minutes ago, Vaenix said:

Not everyone you disagree with is a fan boy.  I'm not sure why you keep on about that or if you honestly think it discredits anyone by doing so but it is getting old quick.  We are at 3 weeks since the game released in an early access alpha-beta state.  There are definitely issues that need to be addressed, but the game population not being insane isn't actually a huge problem.  It will fluctuate and there will be bugs that break the game and drive many people away.  We simply do not have enough information to go off of to make the call that this game is dying.  To be honest, the only thing I can think that you are trying to accomplish here by acting like this in 2 different forum posts, is to try to scare people and drive them away.

Explain lvl 1 wolf killing people in full armor with a shield and sword how thats not fixed asap?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scorpionshawn said:

Explain lvl 1 wolf killing people in full armor with a shield and sword how thats not fixed asap?

Stop acting like a differing opinion about the game state is saying all things are perfect.   I've never once defended the mechanics of this game saying it is all perfect, I've simply had a different opinion than you and others about what actually needs to be changed. 

As for someone in full armor and a shield/sword dying to a wolf, how about simple game mechanics of either being taken by surprise or not being prepared enough for the wolf battle.  There are obviously balance issues that need to be adjusted but if you can't take a single wolf you might have worse problems than the balance issues.  Now the spawning in of dozens upon dozens of wolves in an area all within a few minutes along with some alphas, ok yeah that needs fixed.  But you expect being able to just tank everything?  It's a survival mmo, this isn't guild wars/world of warcraft.

6 minutes ago, Vaenix said:

I would never call someone a fan boy for disagreeing with me. I will however call them that if everything we discuss boils down to the same “it’s ea” crap. Sorry, not a blanket excuse.

only some aspects of bugs or server problems can have ea as an excuse. Constant delays and broken patches do not fall under ea. That is user error at it finest.

now once the people start defending that, that is when you know they are fan boys and you are justified by calling them out on it 👍

• Like 1

Just now, Realist said:

I would never call someone a fan boy for disagreeing with me. I will however call them that if everything we discuss boils down to the same “it’s ea” crap. Sorry, not a blanket excuse.

only some aspects of bugs or server problems can have ea as an excuse. Constant delays and broken patches do not fall under ea. That is user error at it finest.

now once the people start defending that, that is when you know they are fan boys and you are justified by calling them out on it 👍

100% of the problems in an EA game can boil down to EA as their excuse.  Delays are iffy and I can't defend that, make a patching window and either deliver the patch on time or don't deliver until the next day to give people some expectation on what to do.    However acting like a bug in a game no matter what it is in EA or a broken patch is not an EA thing, you are the tester.  Whether they say they have "QA" or not we are their primary test source and that means we are gonna have broken shit handed to us and have to tell them it's broken shit.  The problem comes when you have people on the forums who are so engrossed in just being upset that everyone that isn't as upset as them automatically is a fan boy and wrong and should be shit on for it.  If you have an argument that has merits then make the damn argument, but name calling is just childish and will accomplish nothing aside from making you look childish, whether it's calling out a real "fan boy" or not.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Realist said:

The fact that is this far in beta means it is almost criminal to charge 25 and now 30 dollars for it. Maybe 10 max. 

They didn’t even have the decency to charge 10 dollars even though we are testing it for them.

It’s alpha. It’s a decision they made and it’s a decision the players need to make to pay for it. I made the decision I want to play this game from alpha, and there are people that will join in a year. I’m fine with it. 

3 minutes ago, Vaenix said:

100% of the problems in an EA game can boil down to EA as their excuse.  Delays are iffy and I can't defend that, make a patching window and either deliver the patch on time or don't deliver until the next day to give people some expectation on what to do.    However acting like a bug in a game no matter what it is in EA or a broken patch is not an EA thing, you are the tester.  Whether they say they have "QA" or not we are their primary test source and that means we are gonna have broken shit handed to us and have to tell them it's broken shit.  The problem comes when you have people on the forums who are so engrossed in just being upset that everyone that isn't as upset as them automatically is a fan boy and wrong and should be shit on for it.  If you have an argument that has merits then make the damn argument, but name calling is just childish and will accomplish nothing aside from making you look childish, whether it's calling out a real "fan boy" or not.

Once again, I don’t use the “fan boy” term lightly and I rarely say it. I have used the term white knight but that is when it only has to deal with the company and not the game itself. I actually see those two terms as different things.

i guarantee that I hate wildcard more than anyone here. I also don’t just shit people down. I like getting to know others point of view, because if you ever want to prove them wrong you have to be able to understand where they are coming from. Facts are facts but in order to win an opinion based argument(still possible) you really have to start to understand the other person.

when I see people defend the game, I see them wanting to prove they are having fun and have the right to do so in my opinion as well.

when I see people defend the dev company y itself, I tend to see them letting their emotions get in the way. So that is the time to strike.

ill let people talk positive about the game all day. Once I see anyone defending the unethical and questionable actions of the devs I will most definitely step in every time. That I have no problem shutting down

5 minutes ago, Percieval said:

It’s alpha. It’s a decision they made and it’s a decision the players need to make to pay for it. I made the decision I want to play this game from alpha, and there are people that will join in a year. I’m fine with it. 

That is completely fine that you are fine with it. I didn’t so you are in the wrong for doing so. This isn’t on an individual basis.

also, just because you are fine with it doesn’t mean it isn’t unethical as a whole. Their actions are unethical regardless of people liking or disliking them. 

4 minutes ago, Realist said:

That is completely fine that you are fine with it. I didn’t so you are in the wrong for doing so. This isn’t on an individual basis.

also, just because you are fine with it doesn’t mean it isn’t unethical as a whole. Their actions are unethical regardless of people liking or disliking them. 

It is unethical for people to make their own decisions? The experience I have had is worth more than 25 euros at this point. There’s literally nothing unethical for someone to make a decision for themselves. 

7 minutes ago, Realist said:

Once again, I don’t use the “fan boy” term lightly and I rarely say it. I have used the term white knight but that is when it only has to deal with the company and not the game itself. I actually see those two terms as different things.

i guarantee that I hate wildcard more than anyone here. I also don’t just shit people down. I like getting to know others point of view, because if you ever want to prove them wrong you have to be able to understand where they are coming from. Facts are facts but in order to win an opinion based argument(still possible) you really have to start to understand the other person.

when I see people defend the game, I see them wanting to prove they are having fun and have the right to do so in my opinion as well.

when I see people defend the dev company y itself, I tend to see them letting their emotions get in the way. So that is the time to strike.

ill let people talk positive about the game all day. Once I see anyone defending the unethical and questionable actions of the devs I will most definitely step in every time. That I have no problem shutting down

The problem with your viewpoint is that what you view as unethical or questionable is not what others may view as unethical or questionable.

You view an EA game releasing like it has(alpha state, playable with bugs and balance issues) as unethical.  Many others do not and you have determined that means they are either a fan boy or a white knight.  Name calling accomplishes nothing other than making you look childish.

When you see people have a differing opinion, you assume this means that they are defending it.

When you say "Facts are Facts" you are basing this off of your own circumstantial evidence and viewpoint therefore facts are not indeed facts.  As my experience and yours may drastically differ. 

And in all honesty, if you hate this company so much, why are you here and why are you buying their games when you consider them unethical?

1 minute ago, Percieval said:

It is unethical for people to make their own decisions? The experience I have had is worth more than 25 euros at this point. There’s literally nothing unethical for someone to make a decision for themselves. 

Are you having a hard time understanding what I am saying or just trying to refute a point I never made.

you get to do and feel however you want. The company is unethical for having such a high price for such little content and an unethical behavior.

to recap, yes you can do anything you want and feel however you want and it’s all good. A company can’t just do whatever it wants and not be unethical no matter what.

Just now, Realist said:

Are you having a hard time understanding what I am saying or just trying to refute a point I never made.

you get to do and feel however you want. The company is unethical for having such a high price for such little content and an unethical behavior.

to recap, yes you can do anything you want and feel however you want and it’s all good. A company can’t just do whatever it wants and not be unethical no matter what.

You can feel it is unethical, and I can feel it is not.  That is the differing of opinions at it's finest.

You are not the arbiter of all things ethical, please stop acting like your opinion makes it a fact.

3 minutes ago, Realist said:

I don’t think you have any point. 

If there’s a game developer that puts out something and asks money for it, it’s completely their decision to make. Just as it is the decision of the players to buy it, Like i already said earlier. If you think anything about it is unethical, then you are out of your mind. 

Somehow you try to make the devs look bad for maybe ‘luring’ players in or misadvertisement in which they have done none. 

Edited by Percieval
  • Like 2