Sign in to follow this  
LooseCipher

Alphas need nerfed

Like wtf, they're everywhere and you need like 6 Level 60+ bears to kill one...nerf the friggin alphas...make their max level 100 or something...and nerf their dmg 50%...this is redic losing 4 bears in like 3 days because I randomly run into an alpha with no stamina.

• Thanks 1

Not sure they need to much of a nerf directly, but their spawn numbers need to be dropped for sure.  You can still kill them all with 3 fire arrows though.  They are ultra xp.  Just hop up on a rock they can't get you from and fire arrow them down. 

I dunno...I think its cheesy you have to flame arrow them to do anything to them.  Why can't we kill them any other way?  A mount should be able to handle it if their level 60+...but no, not even close...hell...you'd need 5-10 bears all level 60+ to kill 1 alpha wolf...without losses...and if you are melee you stand no chance.

7 minutes ago, LooseCipher said:

I dunno...I think its cheesy you have to flame arrow them to do anything to them.  Why can't we kill them any other way?  A mount should be able to handle it if their level 60+...but no, not even close...hell...you'd need 5-10 bears all level 60+ to kill 1 alpha wolf...without losses...and if you are melee you stand no chance.

Well they are intended to be super strong mobs and people are managing to kill them solo, not even group required.  They just have a ton of HP and do a lot of damage so  you have to do it strategically.  The fire arrows will probably get nerfed before they do tbh.  I think if they fixed the spawn rate so they were rare, like never more than 1 or 2 per island at a time depending on island size that would mitigate most peoples problems because then you could avoid it if  you don't want to fight it.  My biggest issue with the alphas is when there are multiple and they all pop out of the same spawners.  Often right near me as I'm harvesting on a tame.  I'm fine with some random silliness here and there but it shouldn't be as often as its been happening.

If people don't want them nerfed that's fine....then incentive needs to be increased to kill them, let me drop blueprints...or something...to get people to want to kill them...cause what good is killing an alpha wolf for loot?  Nothing.

Just now, LooseCipher said:

If people don't want them nerfed that's fine....then incentive needs to be increased to kill them, let me drop blueprints...or something...to get people to want to kill them...cause what good is killing an alpha wolf for loot?  Nothing.

They give insane amounts of xp.   In your low levels it will give you like 5 levels for killing just one.  We kill them as often as possible because of it.

• Like 1

i'f their AOE wasn't as large the Rock solution would be great if you weren't out with pack animals 😉  It would be useful if they added in a new skill into beast mastery which was something like "Alpha Awareness" which would allow the alphas to have a beacon/indicator over them from a reasonable distance so they could be avoided or trapped. if the skill was one that needed to be activated and lasted for 5-10 minutes it would be good in my opinion.

They already have a glow but that can be quite easy to miss when the sun is in your eyes or the alpha is in long grass/behind a tree. 

The alphas have become the main source of exp for me (I'm currently level 67 on a unofficial server) and i tend to trap them in prebuilt traps to actually deal with them, the only problem with this is I'm now fairly limited to where i can level because they still munch through me if i decide to go out exploring.

Edited by RamboMcCoolio
  • Like 1

I think one of the big problems a lot of people have is that alphas in this game work pretty much the same way they did in ark, which is huuuugee HP pools and massive damage.  In ark  you had access to OP tames and flyers so you could just munch em right back with a much larger dino that was properly leveled and win, or you could fly up somewhere out of range and just use 24958249 arrows to kill em.  In this we don't have that as its not primarily a pokemon game like ark was so you have to really treat alphas like super dangerous mini bosses or something.  I usually just try really hard at all times to have good situational awareness and spot them before I ever get close enough to get agro, which isn't always easy being severely colorblind but I manage (most of the time) to do it.  Then I see if I have the available rocks/mountain around me or the stuff on me to make a trap of some sort.

If I'm away from base on a foreign island I avoid them 99.99% of the time because risking death is usually not worth it or I can't easily come up with a good method of killing them since the land is usually owned and doesn't allow building.

Hopefully as the game progresses and we get new things added in it will help balance them out some.  In ark for a while alphas were pretty damn dangerous early on and some alpha critters you just straight up avoided, like an alpha rex when rex's were top of the chain.  

I have over 3500 hours in Ark, as you have said this isn't ark, but if it was you would be able to breed animals to be able to take the alphas on, currently with tier 3 animals not able to be bred and the other animals needing extremely specific temperatures to actually get them to breed, its nigh on impossible to do for most people. (I like many others built my base before discovering the problems with breeding). But you have hit the nail on the head in my opinion, Situational awareness is exactly the solution that is required but currently the Alphas agro from too far away and from behind rocks/walls etc so you can suddenly be jumped by one even when being fully aware of your surroundings. 

They can (1) fix the line of site issue so they don't auto agro from places that cant be seen. (2) lower the agro distance, so people have a chance to see them (3) or as i suggested add another element to the game so people can get better situational awareness with the use of a new skill. (Alpha Awareness) 

I'm all for having tough things to fight, I personally would just like a fair chance against them. Im kinda fed up losing my tames to them (which is why my tames now live behind multiple walls, raised 1 wall above the foundation of my base and 8 foundations above the ground below {my base was built on the beach and i built the animal store out over the water for extra protection - theres no crocs on my island 😉 })

the Combat in Général are Bad actually, alpha and Normal agro wildlife, can kill you Most too fast, with the best common armor can you craft and with a lot of skill point in Life ( 150 for me ) Wolf, tiger, Lion, can kill me in 2 or 3 shot and dont speak about Close combat weapon Usesless again this creature ... and we are Supposed to fight Cyclops, Hydra and Gorgone ? that a joke ?? Combat balance need to be Reworked soon as Possible, 

I once saw a alpha tiger fighting a alpha elephant and a  alpha bull while a alpha parrot was flying by. There is a spawning issue along with balance.  Just wait until flame arrows will no longer work and they can damage stone structures.

48 minutes ago, RamboMcCoolio said:

Reilant, You need to get plate armour. Cloth is junky 😉 

Plate Armor does not help and even with 175 HP and Plate armor and Alpha will 1 to 2 shot you. And even none alpha wolf or lion will kill you in about 10 hits. With a bow none alpha can be killed with that damage but if you use melee not a chance with the knock back being every hit. I think the knock backs need to have a 15 - 30 cooldown on them and Alphas need a 75% nerf to damage and movement speed. HP nerfed buy 50% . That would still make them a tough fight but let you have a chance of killing them. That would be a quick short term fix tell they rebalance the combat system.

27 minutes ago, Hari said:

I once saw a alpha tiger fighting a alpha elephant and a  alpha bull while a alpha parrot was flying by. There is a spawning issue along with balance.  Just wait until flame arrows will no longer work and they can damage stone structures.

There was an idiot in Tesco acting all 'alpha' and abusing an attractive check out assistant.  Punched him in the face.  Got a date with the lass.

I'm sure now we'll see a nerf to hand to hand though 😞        

7 minutes ago, Arsomang said:

Plate Armor does not help and even with 175 HP and Plate armor and Alpha will 1 to 2 shot you. And even none alpha wolf or lion will kill you in about 10 hits. With a bow none alpha can be killed with that damage but if you use melee not a chance with the knock back being every hit. I think the knock backs need to have a 15 - 30 cooldown on them and Alphas need a 75% nerf to damage and movement speed. HP nerfed buy 50% . That would still make them a tough fight but let you have a chance of killing them. That would be a quick short term fix tell they rebalance the combat system.

He mentioned normal animals and wearing cloth. Plate > Cloth no matter whats hitting you.  Melee is a joke. Knock back is indeed a complete ball ache and seems immensely stupid to have the knock back every single hit.   I just made the assumption that if they dont like animals in this game maybe Crew might be the solution, so I just tried putting plate armour on 2 crew men and armoured them with Swords and shields. we found a wolf and they couldn't land a hit because of the knock back.   There is one very straight forward solution to this whole issue.   Make Alpha's Tamable - Fight fire with fire. then have the tamed alphas not damage players/player owned structure or tamed animals so they don't destroy PVP. quick easy fix until something else can be done

10 minutes ago, Vorxius said:

There was an idiot in Tesco acting all 'alpha' and abusing an attractive check out assistant.  Punched him in the face.  Got a date with the lass.

I'm sure now we'll see a nerf to hand to hand though 😞        

My local tesco just hired 2 alpha crocs! cant seem to park my ship anywhere now 😞