Sign in to follow this  
Kpbonner55

NERF WOLVES FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

4 hours ago, Nutcutt3r said:

Then level up in something and start killing. Or move.

wow have u even tried taking on wolfs they are fast and deadly 2-3 hits u are dead armour or no armour u cant out run them , and if no cliffs / rocks or water nearby u are going to get killed by them ...unless u have stacked excessive hps losing out on other stats 

and all your responses to this thread are quiet honestly not very helpful or adding anything to this thread .and then u throw insults calling players dumbasses

Edited by UDO

5 hours ago, Nutcutt3r said:

Then level up in something and start killing. Or move.

Or maybe they can just fix the damn game?  Nah...that would make too much sense.  And the OP nailed it.  The majority of people came here for ships, not animals to fight.  The majority of people would be just fine of the wolves, lions, crocs, etc.. were reduced to 1% of what they spawn now, and reduced in power a bit.  They aren't why we are here, but they will be why we leave.  The devs seem to be too stubborn to understand this.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Kpbonner55 said:

i get two shot by a level one wolf that hits three times per bite.

I find it shocking that this is one of the first lines in the original post, and there is an entire thread supporting this.

Seriously?

Try some armor.  Try kiting them into the water and headshotting them.  If you are dying in two shots, you absolutely are not wearing armor.  That's a fact.  Also, if you're dying in two bites, you probably haven't put many points into your health.  And that's another fact.  You obviously haven't done a combination of both.  Here's a shocking concept: armor will protect you while health allows you to take more hits, and both (especially together) give you more sustainability.  I successfully kill wolves on a consistent basis with either a few headshots from my bow, or occasionally kiting them into deeper water.  This isn't WOW where you can run up to everything and just bash it over the head and walk away unscathed.  Unfortunately the game doesn't just give ribbons for participation like a lot of other games.  Even though other people danced around it, the honest fact is this is related to your playstyle and level of proficiency, not a game-breaking bug.  If what you are doing is not working, try changing it.  To say that it's broken is false, proven by the fact that other people can do it successfully.

After this patch I recently returned to a desert island crawling with giant snakes, crocodiles, wolves and scorpions.  Using the terrain to my advantage and armed only with a bow (and no armor), I was able to kill several crocodiles and a gazillion giant snakes with virtually no issues.  The couple of times I died was due to my own fault (usually panicking a little and missing my headshots).  Previously, crocodiles seemed like a death sentence.  Afterwards, I returned to my home base island and farmed a bunch of resources while killing probably a have dozen wolves in the process.  I didn't die a single time to them.

This entire thread seems like a bunch of people literally stating "this is too hard, I'm losing, and it's not my fault!"  Unfortunately, if you're dying consistently to one or two wolves, that's precisely who's fault it is.

6 hours ago, Kpbonner55 said:

We've all paid the toll essentially to be their QA/beta testing teams they can profit from.

Almost like we signed up for an Early Access game that was still in development or something....

Edited by Domino
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Domino said:

I find it shocking that this is one of the first lines in the original post, and there is an entire thread supporting this.

Seriously?

Try some armor.  Try kiting them into the water and headshotting them.  If you are dying in two shots, you absolutely are not wearing armor.  That's a fact.  Also, if you're dying in two bites, you probably haven't put many points into your health.  And that's another fact.  You obviously haven't done a combination of both.  Here's a shocking concept: armor will protect you while health allows you to take more hits, and both (especially together) give you more sustainability.  I successfully kill wolves on a consistent basis with either a few headshots from my bow, or occasionally kiting them into deeper water.  This isn't WOW where you can run up to everything and just bash it over the head and walk away unscathed.  Unfortunately the game doesn't just give ribbons for participation like a lot of other games.  Even though other people danced around it, the honest fact is this is related to your playstyle and level of proficiency, not a game-breaking bug.  If what you are doing is not working, try changing it.  To say that it's broken is false, proven by the fact that other people can do it successfully.

After this patch I recently returned to a desert island crawling with giant snakes, crocodiles, wolves and scorpions.  Using the terrain to my advantage and armed only with a bow (and no armor), I was able to kill several crocodiles and a gazillion giant snakes with virtually no issues.  The couple of times I died was due to my own fault (usually panicking a little and missing my headshots).  Previously, crocodiles seemed like a death sentence.  Afterwards, I returned to my home base island and farmed a bunch of resources while killing probably a have dozen wolves in the process.  I didn't die a single time to them.

This entire thread seems like a bunch of people literally stating "this is too hard, I'm losing, and it's not my fault!"  Unfortunately, that's precisely who's fault it is.

armour gives u maybe 2-3 extra hit to get away , u are talking rubiish , i wear plate armour all the time the only way to survive wolfs is too stack hp, losing out on other stats. then u may kill one with very little heatlh left by the time its dead 

hahah crocs and snakes wow u are an elite player the 2 easiest animals in the game to kill ..........  

and as to your standard reply , jump in water , jump on rocks etc , what if u are caught in the open the aggro range on wolfs is so large they can run at u without u noticing ..

Edited by UDO

1 minute ago, UDO said:

armour gives u maybe 2-3 extra hit to get away , u are talking rubiish , i wear plate armour all the time the only way to survive wolfs is too stack hp, losing out on other stats. then u may kill one with very little heatlh left by the time its dead 

hahah crocs and snakes wow u are an elite player the 2 easiest animals in the game to kill ..........  

and as to your standard reply , jump in water , jump on rocks etc , what if u are caught in the open the aggro range on wolfs is so large they can run at u without u noticing ..

Instead of running away, why don't you try killing them?  Clearly running away doesn't seem to be working for you, while I have no issues killing them.  That extra two or three hits you can take is enough to save your life.  I usually spot wolves and have at least one headshot, if not two, in them before they even get to me.  Sometimes they'll ambush me, but I still almost always survive, usually with more than half health left.

And yeah... health is an important stat.  Why would you not put points into it??   And of course every point you put into health means it's a point you haven't spent elsewhere.  It's called being strategic.  Again, this isn't WOW where Mommy is going to hold your hand the entire time.

As for crocs and snakes, clearly you haven't been eaten off your boat by a croc.   Must be nice living your entire life on land.  And I don't make any claims to be an elite player... far from it... And yet I can still survive wolves.  Wow, they must really be broken if that's the case!

4 minutes ago, UDO said:

they can run at u without u noticing ..

That sounds like your problem.  You aren't paying attention.  Use more strategy and less careless.  Scout out a forest from the beach so you're close to the water and can run into it if things get too intense.  Or jump on a rock and survey the area.  Scout the area in general.

Again, not game breaking bugs.  Just playing that could use some improvement.  And, again, that's a fact, proven by the players who are doing it successfully.

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Domino said:

Seriously?

This entire thread seems like a bunch of people literally stating "this is too hard, I'm losing, and it's not my fault!"  Unfortunately, if you're dying consistently to one or two wolves, that's precisely who's fault it is.

Almost like we signed up for an Early Access game that was still in development or something....

I welcome you to the tundra with no fortitude and you’ll also see wolves and yeti spawns are out of control 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

All predators are way to over tuned.  Alphas should be level cap at around 110 if player cap is 51  this just makes the game so unfun for people to start.  Its a really good way to kill your game and make people write horrible reviews on steam.

8 hours ago, Kpbonner55 said:

I get you want people to roll in packs and play together, but you gotta make that an option, not shove it down peoples throats as a necessity to gather already scarce resources.

I think this is the part everyone is missing that op pointed out.  At every turn in this game it feels evident that this is what the developers want.  They have clearly stated how proud they are of megas taking over everything.  They have made some changes due to complaints on the forums but have ignored any complaints that would make the game easier to play as a smaller company or solo.  They clearly intend for it to be a huge mindless hive minded zerg fest so you need to either get on board with that or stop playing or they may never change cause in their eyes it is working as intended and people are playing.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Domino said:

Instead of running away, why don't you try killing them?  Clearly running away doesn't seem to be working for you, while I have no issues killing them.  That extra two or three hits you can take is enough to save your life.  I usually spot wolves and have at least one headshot, if not two, in them before they even get to me.  Sometimes they'll ambush me, but I still almost always survive, usually with more than half health left.

And yeah... health is an important stat.  Why would you not put points into it??   And of course every point you put into health means it's a point you haven't spent elsewhere.  It's called being strategic.  Again, this isn't WOW where Mommy is going to hold your hand the entire time.

As for crocs and snakes, clearly you haven't been eaten off your boat by a croc.   Must be nice living your entire life on land.  And I don't make any claims to be an elite player... far from it... And yet I can still survive wolves.  Wow, they must really be broken if that's the case!

That sounds like your problem.  You aren't paying attention.  Use more strategy and less careless.  Scout out a forest from the beach so you're close to the water and can run into it if things get too intense.  Or jump on a rock and survey the area.  Scout the area in general.

Again, not game breaking bugs.  Just playing that could use some improvement.  And, again, that's a fact, proven by the players who are doing it successfully.

i never said i ran away i said armour or no armour unless u stack hps u are are very unlikely to survive many encounters with wolfs , unless u are able to jump in water climb on rocks etc 

only sure  way to survive is to have 200 hps and plate armour then u can kill maybe 1 u won’t survive to kill a second 

stop  trying to defend a mechanic in the game that is clearly not balanced , i have tried all sorts of specs from lvl 1 to lvl 51 from bows , swords , piles , guns , and the only viable one for wolfs and lions is HPs and armour , this leaves u with a lot less points for fort / stamina etc 

mice seen groups take on wolfs with one or more dying before the kill them , 

the very fast attacks plus knock back makes it hard to shoot anything at them , 

i have kiled enough if them of them where i am i have wolfs , giant snakes , crocs , all day every day so i know how to deal with them and also know how to glitch to take them down , but if u have to resort to lame tactics to succeed then it’s clearly broken and not balanced correctly 

the 

Edited by uli

45 minutes ago, Big Bojangles said:

I think this is the part everyone is missing that op pointed out.  At every turn in this game it feels evident that this is what the developers want.  They have clearly stated how proud they are of megas taking over everything.  They have made some changes due to complaints on the forums but have ignored any complaints that would make the game easier to play as a smaller company or solo.  They clearly intend for it to be a huge mindless hive minded zerg fest so you need to either get on board with that or stop playing or they may never change cause in their eyes it is working as intended and people are playing.

The devs stated before the game even launched that the game was designed intentionally to be a group game and that playing it solo isn't really advised and would be a rough time.  They want it to be like Eve with massive scale.  It's possible when the game is a lot further a long, regions are more stable along with the mega guilds that control them that things will become easier for solo or small guilds.  So many changes have already been made to appease the solo players.  

1 hour ago, mndfreeze said:

The devs stated before the game even launched that the game was designed intentionally to be a group game and that playing it solo isn't really advised and would be a rough time.  They want it to be like Eve with massive scale.  It's possible when the game is a lot further a long, regions are more stable along with the mega guilds that control them that things will become easier for solo or small guilds.  So many changes have already been made to appease the solo players.  

I understand that but it should be a choice not forced.  In games where it is forced it is usually approached with balance in mind like some sort of multifaction system.

2 minutes ago, Big Bojangles said:

I understand that but it should be a choice not forced.  In games where it is forced it is usually approached with balance in mind like some sort of multifaction system.

It's not forced though.  You can join the game solo and never join a guild.  With this latest patch you can build on peoples claims that allow it and pay taxes.  You can get land on lawless and have no claims at all to worry about.  There is even still claim land available in the tundra and polar regions but going will be super tough if you do (but is doable as people post about it here and on reddit).  There have already been a ton of huuugge changes made to appease the solo player and I imagine more will come over time but you can't expect them to alter the entire game design to the opposite of what their design goals were just because some people choose not to play how they intended.

1 minute ago, mndfreeze said:

It's not forced though.  You can join the game solo and never join a guild.  With this latest patch you can build on peoples claims that allow it and pay taxes.  You can get land on lawless and have no claims at all to worry about.  There is even still claim land available in the tundra and polar regions but going will be super tough if you do (but is doable as people post about it here and on reddit).  There have already been a ton of huuugge changes made to appease the solo player and I imagine more will come over time but you can't expect them to alter the entire game design to the opposite of what their design goals were just because some people choose not to play how they intended.

Cool so we agree then.  Don't change your design goals but make it an enjoyable experience to play along with those goals and implement systems that support that play not force it.  Nice that we understand each other here.  They want it to be like an mmo, yet they force rust and megas on us.  Cool instead of making it a lazy nonsensical approach implement systems that create a balanced enjoyable experience.  If they want it to be large war scale then fix the servers so its not just 150 in a zone and then make some sort of to encourage war AND playing together.

• Like 1

lol I was never arguing against in the first place. I was just backing up your post with more information 😄

Hopefully they get the technical stuff and bugs handled because that shit was the death of life is feudal which when in the right group of dudes was an amazing idea and game, even with its insane grind.

Idk sorry it was confusing.  Currently I will stop playing until they get a little further down the line and the game doesn't feel like a waste of time just cause we know it can be good.  I wish them well and hope it doesn't die like your example of life is feudal but as of now its just an unguided poorly managed shit show.  I feel its a better use to time to just sit back and watch and hope my investment of purchase gets turned into something worthwhile.  At the current rate though I will not be holding my breath.

Heh...

Guys, if someone is dyign to wolfs or crocs all the time its not fun for them. 
But if you are killing crocs and wolfs all the time and have to kill one every few minutes while trying to do some serious gathering (+ there is nearly no exp progress from them at higher level + elephants are more dangerous to players than crocs on land) to be distracted by yet another suicide in making called croc, have to repair bow yet again, reload gun, make ammo.... Its also no fun. Its irritating too.

So yeah, whenever you are really good at combat and kill those stuff or suck at it and die repeatedly, it's not fun with this numbers. 

Also one more observation - from what i see there are waves of animals. One hour I have wave of herbivours and they are fun to play around. Another all but few are gone and I see crocs everywhere. Looks like (again) something is not balanced correctly and/or some hidden mechanics are interfering/clashing and we have idiotic result.

I had few cases where on my home island there were crocs in dozens, birds and maybe two elephant. Wile I know tone of other animals do (giraffes, cows, bulls, chocobos disguised as ostriches etc) spawn there. But get obliterated by crocs repeatedly and on short notice. 

What could work best imho would be make predators attack each other also inside the specie? Would keep them in check?

Aren't certain Islands just worse to live on than others? They have a greater variety of resources but then more predators in the process. 

We only have snakes/spiders that are hostile in our island but then we don't have gems/crystals/salt.

1 minute ago, ShoulderRabbit said:

Aren't certain Islands just worse to live on than others? They have a greater variety of resources but then more predators in the process. 

We only have snakes/spiders that are hostile in our island but then we don't have gems/crystals/salt.

No, living on an island that have no iron, gems, sap, coal and didn't have fiber before patch 10, the crystals are deeper in the island and very scarce, to get to where they are need to battle some waves of wolves in this predator culling simulator. The resources don't matter, islands have their set spawn rules and just throw stuff at random, killing only predators and never passives will give a better future but they may still come from other part of the island that was not cleared or some passives despawned and the hell is back.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ShoulderRabbit said:

Some islands are just straight up better than others. Was on an island with crystals, gems, a ton of iron and even syrup trees (sap). It also has a few growable crops on it as well as an abundance of all the basic resources. It's animal spawn rate was decent too and almost none of them were hostile.

Then I went to another island that had nothing. Only wood and stone (and recently fiber). And it's full of hostile animals, mostly wolves that roam around in massive packs just killing everything else.

Some islands are just great. Others are trash that people only live on because they have no other choice.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Garfy said:

Some islands are just straight up better than others. Was on an island with crystals, gems, a ton of iron and even syrup trees (sap). It also has a few growable crops on it as well as an abundance of all the basic resources. It's animal spawn rate was decent too and almost none of them were hostile.

Then I went to another island that had nothing. Only wood and stone (and recently fiber). And it's full of hostile animals, mostly wolves that roam around in massive packs just killing everything else.

Some islands are just great. Others are trash that people only live on because they have no other choice.

Yeah its hilarious when people argue that some islands have less due to trade, when there are a few islands that have almost every single resource and at least every single basic resource.  Where is the balance in that and why are some island inhabitants forced into the idea or trade and sailing and other islands are just ark with ships?

Just to show how it looks on our island sometimes. https://imgur.com/a/Q1bpxuA

The mysterious ball of graphical poop that looking at is a ball of 20-30 vultures following a pack of 5+ wolves that kill everything. Next to our house there's little vultures which we ocasionaly clear so nothing steals our killed wolves but the neighbour have at all times 10-15 vultures on the screen, thankfuly they are not agressive on sight but the pack of wolves that is there is normal, those packs respawn every few minutes.

If only the devs would spend more money on hiring people who actually read these concerns on the forums rather than paying trolls to counter the negative posts here as a way of damage control. It's either this or a couple of huge fanboys who would even eat Wildcards devmonkeys hot shit if served on a plate with a spoon. The problem is they are targetting and focussing on the wrong issues for most players rather than fixing the utter broken mess it is to become a real pirate.

:Wolves:
One trick that I've found with wolves is to build a 2 wide foundation either around your dwelling with doorways built around the outer perimeter (This can also be crafted small safe spot, or as an addition to an existing taming pin), but be sure there are 2 foundations between you and the wolf because of reach. The usual plan is: they see me, I see them (or get attacked) and I run for the defense. The wolf hits the wall and squirms for a bit but then lines up their face for headshots as they bite the wall. I shoot with flintlock or bow. I use stone buildings but wood will suffice with frequent repairs. 8/10 this tactic works for me if I'm surprised or cannot kill them before they get to me. There are times in which the bites come very quickly and I'm unable to get inside the door frames.

This is only a suggestion as building structures may not be available to you or the additional foundations prevent resources spawn now.

:Vultures:
I9 in NA PvE, there is a beach that has the normal spreading of Crocs, wolves, giant snakes, and rattlesnakes, as well as a massive colony of vultures. They seem to dominate the spawn weight and have numbered in the hundreds, blocking the normal spawn of other animals. They are so numerous that it becomes dangerous to gather non-corpse resources. A server restart makes the area a true paradise but 20 minutes later there are 5 . . . 15 . . just large packs of vultures. Their AI seems to scatter after a corpse is consumed and that blows their numbers to the wind causing the dangerous environment for gathering.

I hope this helps!

5 minutes ago, DangerZone said:

:Wolves:
One trick that I've found with wolves is to build a 2 wide foundation either around your dwelling with doorways built around the outer perimeter (This can also be crafted small safe spot, or as an addition to an existing taming pin), but be sure there are 2 foundations between you and the wolf because of reach. The usual plan is: they see me, I see them (or get attacked) and I run for the defense. The wolf hits the wall and squirms for a bit but then lines up their face for headshots as they bite the wall. I shoot with flintlock or bow. I use stone buildings but wood will suffice with frequent repairs. 8/10 this tactic works for me if I'm surprised or cannot kill them before they get to me. There are times in which the bites come very quickly and I'm unable to get inside the door frames.

This is only a suggestion as building structures may not be available to you or the additional foundations prevent resources spawn now.

:Vultures:
I9 in NA PvE, there is a beach that has the normal spreading of Crocs, wolves, giant snakes, and rattlesnakes, as well as a massive colony of vultures. They seem to dominate the spawn weight and have numbered in the hundreds, blocking the normal spawn of other animals. They are so numerous that it becomes dangerous to gather non-corpse resources. A server restart makes the area a true paradise but 20 minutes later there are 5 . . . 15 . . just large packs of vultures. Their AI seems to scatter after a corpse is consumed and that blows their numbers to the wind causing the dangerous environment for gathering.

I hope this helps!

Not at all, won't build traps every 5 meters on entire island. Spent last 1 hour to gether only 1 boulder bcs the rest of the time spent on killing literaly, tens of wolves, every 1-2 minute would poke out of the window to agro them so they stick their heads into wall and killing them, just in that 1 hour gathered enouhg bones and hides to fill 1 line in large storage box and have in total 2 full large storage boxes of bones and hides. Can't even gather anything without constant fighting. As for vultures they are not a problem, they are not agressive most of the time, just gotta harvest bodies fast before they get to it.

Edited by Nightstrasza

Well, I see that my suggestions will not work in your case. What server, cords, and how big is your company? There is some space left in NA PvE i9 if you're able/willing to move. We only get a max of 3+ wolf spawns on the beach.

I9 has copper from rocks, glass in an adjacent island, salt, sulfur, elephants, lions, Rhinos, cows, the ground is desert rock.

:Edit:
i9 is a lawless zone btw

Edited by DangerZone