Fix this

Alphas STILL killing the game

18 hours ago, Jean Lafitte said:

If I understand correctly, it's base tame * 2 + 30.

So for example, you find a lvl 30 and start taming.  At the bottom left it will say +15.  IF you manage a perfect tame, you'll end up with a lvl 45 (30+15) base tame.  45 * 2 + 30 = 120

Therefore, max level of a tame is 120.  Still not an alpha but not horrible.

Now that's how it was explained to me.  Dunno if this is correct or not.

My highest tame is currently lvl 55 so he's not high enough for me to confirm this yet.

Im not sure could be. Ive never got mine to max lvl. i struggle to keep them alive. I have seen something like this calculation in a youtube vid.

Monkey can slow down a alpha. Im testing if this is a option to get away at least. Im hoping this will work.

For me the prob are not Alphas itself but rather the crazy amout of alphas you encounter in a short time. Encounter 3 alphawolves within a hour of wood farming is definitly way too much. I really cant believe they havent adjusted the spawnrate yet, especially since the spawenrate is just a Serversetting and not even a real hotfix u have to develop. More and More i come to the conclusion they want to have it that way.

Coremechanic of the game should not be dealing with alphas all day long and adjust ur gameplay to that shit.

Edited by The_Wiesel

Alphas in Ark was fairly ok. They are rare, there lvl was not overtuned and exept the little raptor, all are big enough to see them from a far distance. Alphas in Atlas are atm a total fail...

• Like 2

Would be nice if the devs gave some reaction. There's a lot to fix in the game. I hope this wil at some point get there attention. The game realy needs a comuniti person. I think the game realy needs this. Give the people more hope in that there heart. 

i believe they should strongly nerf the levels of alphas and how their damage scales:

I had a wolf pack of 6  wolves, all arround lvl 53 with 600+ hp and lost half of it to an alpha lion that grabbed me from the bear in front instant killed me directly next to the base and chewed half way through the pack until i was able to respawn and lead the pack into the deep water within 30 ish seconds

Edited by darkmeadow

Alphas in this game are beyond awful and are runing an otherwise really fun game. I've lost almost all my tames to just randomly running into alpha wolves and lions of which there are FAR too many. There is no hope to beat or get away from a 245 alpha lion. I had a 60 bear with nothing but health pumped and an alpha lion took it out in three bites after it took me out in one. They are too hard to kill, don't give anything worthwhile if you kill them and are far too numerous. Something needs to be done about these things ASAP. 

The Alphas really do need some adjustments... We lost two 60+ bears yesterday within 30 seconds of disembarking from our ship in an attempt to gather some seeds to a single Alpha wolf.  There is literally no chance of survival or even escape once an alpha wolf or lion aggros onto you.  It doesnt matter the tame level, which beastmastery skills you have, or what equipment you have.  You and your tame will die within 2-3 bites at most.  You cannot even out-run them or leash them to de-aggro even if you have a head-start.  I cannot imagine that this is working as intended.  What is the point of investing many skill points into beastmastery, finding and taming high level creatures using the preferred food that you sailed half way across the map to obtain only to lose all of it almost instantly to a random alpha spawn?!  The level disparity between your "uber" level 75 (30 base+15 tame bonus + 30 level cap) tame and the random Level 250 alpha which is not only 4-5x your tames level but also an alpha with even better stats is just plain ridiculous.

I didn't think it would ever happen, but it has.... here, folks, we have found the first forum post EVER in the history of games EVER where EVERYONE agrees!  (Okay, maybe a little exaggerated, but you get what I'm saying)

Maybe if we start a petition and keep this thread always relevant they'll take notice?

I'm sure it's in the works to tone them down, but it's a super easy fix!  And, granted, there are probably other issues that are deemed higher priority, but... really?  There are literally players quitting over this, and not just a few by the sounds of it.  If nothing else, just nerf the spawn rate for the time being because it is undeniably too intense!

Edit: oops, I forgot my other point!  Even just nerfing their level would go a long way.

Edited by Domino

I don't get what the purpose of Alphas are in Atlas besides killing players and whatever is around them. In ARK you could get loot from them as a reward, here you just get some more meat and hide etc.

• Like 1

And again, 1 bear, 1 bull and 1 bear killed in 15 seconds from alpha wolf. You cant even barely see them coming, ark was much much better.

This sucks so hard, its like not part of a game, its like admin kills you with \kill command...

Fix this sh*t already devs, its just a pain in the arse !

Edited by SaSaLe

Now see, I've had two wonderful days of gaming on Atlas and it's all because of alphas.  Yesterday, I had a 248 elephant hang around my house for hours and hours (I named him Jumbo) and today, it was a 170 pig and a 215 bear.  It was grand, I was actually able to go out and farm some resources, I had a traveller stop by in his schooner and we had a nice conversation and did some trading and only one lion showed up under the pier.  I snagged a few new tames, beat up on some annoying vultures, took the horse out for a brief ride and gathered some berries to feed the crows... I had a wonderful, productive day.

But, I'm certain tomorrow, my visitors will all be gone and I'll be back to this bullshit:

7ZMI9Dw.png

Alphas are the worst! Just turn them off or put them on Alpha island in the middle. or somewhere off the map.

i agree Alpha has no use in the game atm.   If we cannot tame them then they are nothing but trouble and serve only as a npc griefer.   Especially when players can still kill tame quick as well.  

Today, I went out to pick berries, killed by an alpha lion. I went around some rocks and climbed up to watch until the lion moved away to get my stuff back.  Killed by an alpha wolf while waiting.   Swam around the island, went up on the beach to get to my body.  Killed by an alpha rattlesnake.  Swam around to try again, got my stuff off my body and swam away fast.  Killed by a level 16 shark.   Decided to abort trying to get my body,  did some stuff at home until I began starving, then logged off.  Some days Atlas is just no fun.  I will try again later.

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Lemit said:

Today, I went out to pick berries, killed by an alpha lion. I went around some rocks and climbed up to watch until the lion moved away to get my stuff back.  Killed by an alpha wolf while waiting.   Swam around the island, went up on the beach to get to my body.  Killed by an alpha rattlesnake.  Swam around to try again, got my stuff off my body and swam away fast.  Killed by a level 16 shark.   Decided to abort trying to get my body,  did some stuff at home until I began starving, then logged off.  Some days Atlas is just no fun.  I will try again later.

Mean like 80% of days are no fun not sometimes.

13 hours ago, Jean Lafitte said:

Now see, I've had two wonderful days of gaming on Atlas and it's all because of alphas.  Yesterday, I had a 248 elephant hang around my house for hours and hours (I named him Jumbo) and today, it was a 170 pig and a 215 bear.  It was grand, I was actually able to go out and farm some resources, I had a traveller stop by in his schooner and we had a nice conversation and did some trading and only one lion showed up under the pier.  I snagged a few new tames, beat up on some annoying vultures, took the horse out for a brief ride and gathered some berries to feed the crows... I had a wonderful, productive day.

But, I'm certain tomorrow, my visitors will all be gone and I'll be back to this bullshit:

7ZMI9Dw.png

So some alphas are good, in that they control the aggressive carnivore population. Most of the herbivore alphas will do this, except the horse alpha, which is even worse in some ways than a carnivore alpha. The down side of even a herbivore alpha is that you can't safely kill or tame any of the same type herbivore without the chance of getting killed in the process.

I think we all agree, less alphas of all types would be an improvement. A few add an element of risk, which is mostly a good thing. The current level is too much. 

Also I agree, make them more visible. The small glow over the back is hard to see. I almost never see it before the alpha has aggro'd onto me.

I can see some changes needed here:

1) Less alphas

2) More visible

3) Reduce the aggro range, like 1/2 the range of the non-alpha version.

4) Less levels or less HP, so you have a fighting chance against them.

50 minutes ago, Lemit said:

I don't play official, but even on the unofficial servers, there are some islands where the alpha population is boosted. I've no idea why the game has these areas, I think the idea was that you would find them challenging when you do a treasure map on them, but some players do have there base there, and day in, day out, they are just too challenging. On a unofficial server, where land is not in short supply, almost nobody put their base on one of these islands that have the higher alpha population. Was just on one of these, saw two alphas near each other, avoided 2 other alphas that I was able to spot before they aggro'd on me. My two bears (with boosted stats as you can have on an unofficial) killed an alpha spider that jumped us right as we got off the boat.

This kind of proves the points I made in another post on this thread. If our tames had much better stats and the alphas were not so OP, so that a player could take successful counter measures against alphas, they would then be a challenging and fun part of the game. I was able to successfully navigate this island that had a higher level of alphas and it was fun and exciting. This was only because I play on an unofficial server where they are able to balance the tames to make game play (in my opinion) more fun and not so frustrating. It also takes much less tame to tame on this unofficial, so the loss is not so devastating when a tame is lost.

Yes...fire arrow can kill it easily but there are so many!!! i undertand which i cannot run faster than wolf but i cannot find an Alpha every 5 minutes.

19 minutes ago, Backfield said:

Yes...fire arrow can kill it easily but there are so many!!! i undertand which i cannot run faster than wolf but i cannot find an Alpha every 5 minutes.

The only time fire arrows kill them easily is if they get hung up on something and stuck, but if it's lose running or flying around and coming at you? Well, I wish I could tell you how many times I've hit an alpha with a fire arrow only to have it get in my face, set me on fire too, and then kill me, but I've lost count. 

1 hour ago, wildbill said:

So some alphas are good, in that they control the aggressive carnivore population. Most of the herbivore alphas will do this, except the horse alpha, which is even worse in some ways than a carnivore alpha. The down side of even a herbivore alpha is that you can't safely kill or tame any of the same type herbivore without the chance of getting killed in the process.

I think we all agree, less alphas of all types would be an improvement. A few add an element of risk, which is mostly a good thing. The current level is too much. 

Also I agree, make them more visible. The small glow over the back is hard to see. I almost never see it before the alpha has aggro'd onto me.

I can see some changes needed here:

1) Less alphas

2) More visible

3) Reduce the aggro range, like 1/2 the range of the non-alpha version.

4) Less levels or less HP, so you have a fighting chance against them.

I agree the non-aggro alphas can be fantastic. I've seen alpha turtles be chew toys for crocs for quite some time. The hyperaggressive predator alphas though seem to exist solely to antagonize players, grief them, and then spawn camp their corpse or eat their base, whichever happens to be the most convenient opportunity at the time.

I've actually had them do both to me personally, the same alpha like it had some personal vendetta against me. I had a giant alpha snake chase me across the entire island, kill me, then go all the way back to my base and start destroying it. The only thing that stopped the cycle was it ended up getting so fixated on destroying my base I was able to make enough arrows to finally kill it. It just sat there destroying my base while I filled it full of arrows. 

This is the sort of thing that drives players away. The only reason I've stuck around personally is because I'm stubborn and this game has potential if the devs would just address these horrible design ideas. 

The alphas just make this game sometime nearly unplayeble, its like a bug.

Today was good day, just a half of a dozens wolfs, since 2 hours 4 Alpha wolfs spawned, wat the heck ?

• Like 1

I didn’t read the entire thread so this may be discussed but my problem isn’t with having alphas. My problem is if I have a wild level 30 bear and tame it for 44 and then level it 30ish times to lvl 74.  My bear should be “the alpha”. There is no reason to have alphas be lvl 247. It’s obsurd. If the game is going to have this many alphas just make them max at the max level that a tamed creature could max at. The game doesn’t need lvl 244 pigs of destruction. And it sure as heck doesn’t need lvl 249 wolf balls of death.

edit: I’m not asking for easy mode btw. I’m asking for if my high level carnivore or strong tame get into a fight with an alpha it should be a good fight. Not an auto win, but not an auto loss either.

Edited by AtlasRyan
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, AtlasRyan said:

I didn’t read the entire thread so this may be discussed but my problem isn’t with having alphas. My problem is if I have a wild level 30 bear and tame it for 44 and then level it 30ish times to lvl 74.  My bear should be “the alpha”. There is no reason to have alphas be lvl 247. It’s obsurd. If the game is going to have this many alphas just make them max at the max level that a tamed creature could max at. The game doesn’t need lvl 244 pigs of destruction. And it sure as heck doesn’t need lvl 249 wolf balls of death.

Agree.  And yes, this aspect has been covered already.  I takes a lot of investment of skill points, and a lot of time to find and trap a high level tame, more time sailing across the map to obtain the preferred food, taming time itself, then leveling up the tame... only to have it all taken away in an instant by the mere fact you encountered a lvl 200+ alpha wolf or lion.  There is literally no chance of survival or even escape.  The balance issues need to be addressed!