Phantasmalknight

This is supposed to be a fantasy game right?

So, where then are the player side fantasy elements? Just having mythical monsters and treasure does not make a fantasy game. How about some player races, maybe with different lifespans and such? Would be nice to see an alchemy or enchanting skill tree. Maybe add in some kinds of defensive magics players could set up around their bases. On this note as well, could we maybe se some actual quests from npcs? Maybe upgrade the freeports into fully functional towns?

17 minutes ago, Phantasmalknight said:

So, where then are the player side fantasy elements? Just having mythical monsters and treasure does not make a fantasy game. How about some player races, maybe with different lifespans and such? Would be nice to see an alchemy or enchanting skill tree. Maybe add in some kinds of defensive magics players could set up around their bases. On this note as well, could we maybe se some actual quests from npcs? Maybe upgrade the freeports into fully functional towns?

There will be magic. It hasn't been implemented yet. And if you're aware that it's a fantasy game, you should be aware of the back story. The players are descendants of a race magic based fallen kingdom, so making them different races wouldn't fit into that very well. There are tons and tons of pure fantasy games and MMO's out there. If this mix of pirate with a dash of fantasy doesn't have enough fantasy for you, there are plenty of other options. Please don't campaign to make this game something it isn't intended to be.

Nah mate, that's not at all what I'm doing here, though thanks for making those points for me. All I'm saying, is that I'd like to see some stuff that would be in this kind of world. With races I was only talking about how some variety would be nice. The concept of the game is nice and all, but it's really lacking in anything other than ship to ship combat right now. Would love to see some content updates soon. Totes hope the airship teaser is real.

You can make fairly convincing-looking dwarves / hobbits / gnomes due to the liberal nature of the character creator, you know. 🙂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Phantasmalknight said:

Nah mate, that's not at all what I'm doing here, though thanks for making those points for me. All I'm saying, is that I'd like to see some stuff that would be in this kind of world. With races I was only talking about how some variety would be nice. The concept of the game is nice and all, but it's really lacking in anything other than ship to ship combat right now. Would love to see some content updates soon. Totes hope the airship teaser is real.

That's what "Early Access" means.  If this were a Beta test the game would be fully fleshed out and only the bugs found would be fixed.  In reality we are here to "judge" new game additions as they become available for testing.

19 hours ago, Hambo said:

That's what "Early Access" means.  If this were a Beta test the game would be fully fleshed out and only the bugs found would be fixed.  In reality we are here to "judge" new game additions as they become available for testing.

I agree totes mate. But I'm not too worried about things, plan on modding the crap out of it. Going to make a D&D server. Just need the right map and a magic system. Would like to see the skill tree be broke down into classes maybe though.

5 hours ago, Phantasmalknight said:

I agree totes mate. But I'm not too worried about things, plan on modding the crap out of it. Going to make a D&D server. Just need the right map and a magic system. Would like to see the skill tree be broke down into classes maybe though.

Nice... I'll keep an eye out for any news of your efforts.  It's not too hard to imagine being able to specialize as a Shipwright and open a shipyard at the port and play minor roles, or requiring a captain to have minimal levels in Shipwright, Sailmaker and Cannoneer as well as a special "Command" tree.

If you want a reference for class (and race) based skill sets I'd suggest taking a look at Dungeons & Dragons Online, which is free to play, no game-breaking DLC.

To start, you have 1 race-based skill tree for each race.  Then there are usually 3-4 specialty class-based trees (Rogues have "Assassin", "Acrobat" and "Mechanic" specialties which you can mix and match), but you are allowed to spend your level up points anywhere in your applicable trees.

Before we were "upgraded" to skill trees to make things easier to get a viable character we were allowed to spend points on any skill we wanted, leading to a slew of interesting "Cross class" builds such as a Rogue taking a couple of Cleric levels to self heal.

22 hours ago, Hambo said:

Nice... I'll keep an eye out for any news of your efforts.  It's not too hard to imagine being able to specialize as a Shipwright and open a shipyard at the port and play minor roles, or requiring a captain to have minimal levels in Shipwright, Sailmaker and Cannoneer as well as a special "Command" tree.

If you want a reference for class (and race) based skill sets I'd suggest taking a look at Dungeons & Dragons Online, which is free to play, no game-breaking DLC.

To start, you have 1 race-based skill tree for each race.  Then there are usually 3-4 specialty class-based trees (Rogues have "Assassin", "Acrobat" and "Mechanic" specialties which you can mix and match), but you are allowed to spend your level up points anywhere in your applicable trees.

Before we were "upgraded" to skill trees to make things easier to get a viable character we were allowed to spend points on any skill we wanted, leading to a slew of interesting "Cross class" builds such as a Rogue taking a couple of Cleric levels to self heal.

Those are great ideas, thanks mate. It's probably going to be a few months before I get anything public though. Have to see what the Dev Kit is going to give us to work with.