Sign in to follow this  
FriesenGamin

Been Defending The Hell Out Of The Game To Friends

But with this last patch you really have to think someone is just sitting in a room writing down ideas and they have no test server at all.  Half the things they did ruined the game this time.  I have like 110 hours in the game too thats with me not playing much at start while they were figuring out the laggy freeports.  I will say Im glad they are updating the game as fast as they are but they need to take the old "Streamer Server" and turn it into a test server or something.  I wont be playing until the next patch...

• Like 1

Just now, Scorpionshawn said:

YOUR A NOBODY BRO

Well as long as I don’t speak with capslock on all the time in between skulls I should be fine for any clinic. 

• Like 1

if you notice when a patch goes live that actually EU PvE is the only one thats up. This is so they can test it on the Live server's and make sure nothing is wrong. hence why you might see the EU PvE Server up for 30+ mins after a patch and none of the other :V

3 minutes ago, Percieval said:

They have 4 test servers, 

NA PVP / NA PVE / EU PVP / EU PVE 

Yes that is true, because they swindled us into paying for early Alpha testing. This isn't EA. They literally had a concept and some minor basic functionality. Which shouldnt have been real difficult considering it's nothing more then a glorified Ark mod with the same core code that some of the dev team are intimately familiar with at this point. I think they quite literally needed us to pay for the servers to test out the concept before they dove to deep into development of the rest of the mod. At this point I don't care if they create a diamond in the rough. I can't ever recommend this to anyone based solely on the reason that I feel I paid to be used, with almost no roadmap of the future of this game beyond the next patch. They won't even tell us what issues are actually features meant to be in game and what's actually screwed up. And it's hard to judge based on the wishy washy communications we do receive

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Huck Finnley said:

Yes that is true, because they swindled us into paying for early Alpha testing. 

Jesus Christ... You paid to be tester don't like it don't buy EA its really simple.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nari said:

Jesus Christ... You paid to be tester don't like it don't buy EA its really simple.

I beg to differ sir. It clearly is advertised as EA not Alpha tester. EA implies there is a basic functioning game with some bugs, and little content. This is not that. This has been a jumbled up piece of non functioning trash since day one. And I have already paid, therefore I have the right to my opinion. Because at this point, that is all I got for my money. You sir have the right to skip over my post and not read them. And if they bother you so terribly bad, I would highly recommend doing just that. Because if you didn't like that one, SPOILER ALERT your not gonna like the rest😎

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Huck Finnley said:

I beg to differ sir. It clearly is advertised as EA not Alpha tester. EA implies there is a basic functioning game with some bugs, and little content. This is not that. This has been a jumbled up piece of non functioning trash since day one. And I have already paid, therefore I have the right to my opinion. Because at this point, that is all I got for my money. You sir have the right to skip over my post and not read them. And if they bother you so terribly bad, I would highly recommend doing just that. Because if you didn't like that one, SPOILER ALERT your not gonna like the rest😎

EA = Early Access

"Early access, also known as early funding, alpha-access, or paid-alpha, is a funding model in the video game industry by which consumers can pay (or get it for free) for a game in the various development cycles (pre-alpha, alpha, beta) and obtain access to the pre-full release versions of the game, while the developer is able to use those funds to continue work on the game. Those that pay to participate typically help to debug the game, provide feedback and suggestions, and may have access to special materials in the game. The early-access approach is a common way to obtain funding for indie games, and may also be used along with other funding mechanisms, including crowdfunding. Many crowdfunding projects promise to offer access to alpha and/or beta versions of the game as development progresses; however, unlike some of these projects which solicit funds but do not yet have a playable game, all early access games offer an immediately playable version of the unfinished game to players."

I'm sorry you missed the disclaimers, you are welcome to your opinion but you should really have done your research before making the purchase and deciding to be a part of this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Huck Finnley said:

Yes that is true, because they swindled us into paying for early Alpha testing. This isn't EA. They literally had a concept and some minor basic functionality. Which shouldnt have been real difficult considering it's nothing more then a glorified Ark mod with the same core code that some of the dev team are intimately familiar with at this point. I think they quite literally needed us to pay for the servers to test out the concept before they dove to deep into development of the rest of the mod. At this point I don't care if they create a diamond in the rough. I can't ever recommend this to anyone based solely on the reason that I feel I paid to be used, with almost no roadmap of the future of this game beyond the next patch. They won't even tell us what issues are actually features meant to be in game and what's actually screwed up. And it's hard to judge based on the wishy washy communications we do receive

Isnt EA crowd funded development?

58 minutes ago, Percieval said:

Well as long as I don’t speak with capslock on all the time in between skulls I should be fine for any clinic. 

Your premise seems to be that an EA game requires no internal testing to patch. On the basis of the hard earned cash I did in fact plunk down for the game (Early Access, not Internal Testing), I would contend that some minimal level of internal testing should not only be required, but is prudent on the part of the developer. I agree completely that many people expect a fully polished game and do not come with realistic expectations as to what Early Access is. This does not excuse having no internal testing mechanism whatsoever imo because I did in fact pay for a game. I understood the game would not be polished, but I do not accept the premise that means the developers can simply use live servers to test whatever notions they have using the playerbase as their guinea pigs. 

Furthermore I would argue that the strong negative reaction of the gaming community and the overwhelmingly negative nature of the coverage of Atlas's launch suggests strongly that most of the gaming community feels similarly and thus it would be in Wildshot's™ own best interest (or any other game developer considering an EA phase) in terms of limiting negative reviews, press, word of mouth and even refunds to implement at least some internal testing.

Let me throw in one additional argument. Atlas is in EA yes, but this same group (spare me the semantics of claiming GrapeCard™ is somehow wholly different from ARk's development team) released not only an Extinction DLC that was by any objective measure, unfinished, but then also proceeded to release patches to that DLC which created horrible game breaking bugs. This is the same behavior we are seeing with Atlas, only it was exhibited a few short months ago in a game that could not hide behind the excuse of Early Access. I think that's a compelling argument that this development team doesn't take a responsible or reasonable approach to testing, and if you support that position, then I respectfully disagree.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Vaenix said:

early access games offer an immediately playable version of the unfinished game to players."

Thank you for helping me make my point.

2 minutes ago, Huck Finnley said:

Thank you for helping me make my point.

It's playable, I'm watching a stream right now. 

13 minutes ago, Vaenix said:

EA = Early Access

"Early access, also known as early funding, alpha-access, or paid-alpha, is a funding model in the video game industry by which consumers can pay (or get it for free) for a game in the various development cycles (pre-alpha, alpha, beta) and obtain access to the pre-full release versions of the game, while the developer is able to use those funds to continue work on the game. Those that pay to participate typically help to debug the game, provide feedback and suggestions, and may have access to special materials in the game. The early-access approach is a common way to obtain funding for indie games, and may also be used along with other funding mechanisms, including crowdfunding. Many crowdfunding projects promise to offer access to alpha and/or beta versions of the game as development progresses; however, unlike some of these projects which solicit funds but do not yet have a playable game, all early access games offer an immediately playable version of the unfinished game to players."

I'm sorry you missed the disclaimers, you are welcome to your opinion but you should really have done your research before making the purchase and deciding to be a part of this.

So given that the source you cited points strongly to how EA is a useful mechanism for indie developers to fund projects that might otherwise not be viable, and I agree wholeheartedly that this is a huge upside of the EA model that often gets overlooked by gamers, isn't it valid to question whether it is appropriate for a developer such as GrapeCard™, sitting on a rather large pile of cash generated from the runaway success of Ark, should be using the EA model at all?

Well you may be right there, im not sure it clearly states it should be playable to all who purchase, or even the majority. As long as streamers, fan boys, and professional gamers can play, we good right

1 minute ago, boomervoncannon said:

So given that the source you cited points strongly to how EA is a useful mechanism for indie developers to fund projects that might otherwise not be viable, and I agree wholeheartedly that this is a huge upside of the EA model that often gets overlooked by gamers, isn't it valid to question whether it is appropriate for a developer such as GrapeCard™, sitting on a rather large pile of cash generated from the runaway success of Ark, should be using the EA model at all?

I'm not gonna sit here and try to judge or decide how they run their business, I'm not in the game development world.  That is like debating micro transactions and loot boxes, some will view them as terrible while others love them.  They chose the EA method and as such that means this is a game that is in an alpha state and will sometimes be broken by their patches.  They have already addressed 90% of the current complaints(outside of the weight issue).

1 minute ago, Huck Finnley said:

Well you may be right there, im not sure it clearly states it should be playable to all who purchase, or even the majority. As long as streamers, fan boys, and professional gamers can play, we good right

Well considering I know quite a few people who are not "fan boys"  that are playing it and not having tons of issues at least that haven't already been addressed by Jat in a post somewhere. Sorry you feel anyone who is willing to play EA is suddently a fan boy though. 

2 minutes ago, Huck Finnley said:

There's a very legitimate debate to be had here. Arguing the merits of the issue moves the discussion forward. Labeling parties pejoratively does not. It's dismissive and unproductive. Please stick to arguing the merits.

Look,

Many of us have been thru the EA hoop before from DayZ too Kerbal some developers do EA well and some don't.

But I have never seen this level of incompetence!  They make the guys at DayZ look like bloody genius's!!!

I don't care that there patching things; I do care that they are actually hearing what the community is saying and patching things at least in the right direction...

If they player base tells you something is OP and you make it more OP you have to scratch your head...

If the player base tells you something is broken and doesnt work and you make it worse you have to scratch your head....

So far they keep making me scratch my head its like they are doing development based off of a random dice roll.

Edited by Sulfurblade
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vaenix said:

I'm not gonna sit here and try to judge or decide how they run their business, I'm not in the game development world.  That is like debating micro transactions and loot boxes, some will view them as terrible while others love them.  They chose the EA method and as such that means this is a game that is in an alpha state and will sometimes be broken by their patches.  They have already addressed 90% of the current complaints(outside of the weight issue).

Well considering I know quite a few people who are not "fan boys"  that are playing it and not having tons of issues at least that haven't already been addressed by Jat in a post somewhere. Sorry you feel anyone who is willing to play EA is suddently a fan boy though. 

As a consumer who spends my money with them or does not, I'm entirely comfortable passing judgement on their business practices. I don't think saying they have already addressed 90% of the complaints is anywhere close to accurate when you have people here creating threads bringing up any number of other issues, but be that as it may, since you referenced lootboxes and micro transactions, I think it's entirely appropriate and healthy that gamers as a community should discuss, debate, and weigh the merits of such practices.  If we collectively simply meekly submit to whatever practices the industry prefers, then what we will inevitably get is a host of gamer unfriendly, developer friendly profit maximizing practices with dubious benefit to the user. *cough* lootboxes *cough*

And before we go blaming it ony PC mine is clearly not top of the line, but it is running a ryzen chipset, rx570 2gb vid card with 32gb Corsair ram on a win 10 64 bit op system with up to date drivers on cable internet. At the risk of coming off too rightious, I've been doing the whole gaming thing online since 1996 playing MUDs and any decent and some not so promising MMO's ever since. I have Alpha, Beta tested before. I do know the routine. And this is not my first early access. I'm a fan of the method and support it. Having said that. I do get sick and tired of Dev, and game producers that seem to take advantage of us the gaming community, because we tend to flock towards the next new thing like junkies to a crack house.

3 minutes ago, Huck Finnley said:

this is not my first early access

Should have said 'rodeo

1 hour ago, Huck Finnley said:

I beg to differ sir. It clearly is advertised as EA not Alpha tester. EA implies there is a basic functioning game with some bugs, and little content. This is not that. This has been a jumbled up piece of non functioning trash since day one. 

Ye that’s not true and you know it. 

What are you doing here? 

Edited by Percieval

1 hour ago, Lynx said:

Should have said 'rodeo

I remember my first rodeo. The lights, the sounds, the smells. Lula Mae Ginblossom swaying gently in my arms.

Wait....

that might be my first school dance. Rodeo is the one with the girls or the bulls?

Just because you may not see immediate results on one thing or another, even an obvious problem does not mean they are not working on it.

Amazes me on how many people start huffing and puffing and stomping their feet over it still.  I am not a streamer, many who are on a streamers stream are not streamers but,  reg players who joined the game, just like me. I am having a lot of fun, I can play the game fine and as well know how problems can come up after a content patch that has bulk to it, I as well know from playing many EA games and even some games that re out of EA and sold normally that find they have to patch things still..  I do not expect the game to be in a done state any time soon. If it becomes unplayable to me now, I will shelve it and keep an eye on its progress before jumping in again. I can do so, now, tomorrow or after its finished.

If I did not enjoy it as much as I have so far, I wouldn't bother with keeping an eye on its progress, when/if I can't  for what ever reason comes up, play.

Liatni I wasn't saying I am not having fun (I wouldn't have 100+ hours if I was bored).  I am saying how can you do a full blown patch release and not know about some of these glaring issues.  If they had any type of test server to test before hand they would have known of a bunch of the patch issues and could have mentioned them in patch notes and not said they were active things.  I've done EAs, Alphas, Betas, and even some testing with developers on some games.  In all of them I've been involved with you test before you put the patch live.  This last patch made it really feel like they aren't actually testing things before hand at all.  

I will still be playing the game but will prob wait until the next big patch to fix this one as its a pretty big mess at the moment.  As for following its progress I watch the patch notes and twitter a ridiculous amount each day.

Also I like reading posts like this cause it really shows different thinking and sometimes I realize something by reading through chains like this one.