Tminus009

Remove Alphas

I dont think removing them is ideal entirely i do however think adjustments can be made to make them less of a threat.

I get you want alphas to be strong but normally there is something that can counter act their strong points, but as current alphas go: Strengths - Health, Hard hitting, MASSIVELY reduced damage, spawning too often, spawning at too high a level verses the natural wild life and keeping the abilities normal counter parts have. Weakness- Fire arrows kinda?(the running away and inability to hit them while raining/in water)

They are grossly overpowered, they were one to two shotting tames before the tames got the 40% scaling nerf, now its only gotten worse.

Yep i want to go out on a tame with at best 300 health at worse 100 health and have something one shot me that can grab me off my mount has a gross amount of health and a gross amount of damage that if i do manage to kill will be back in 5 minutes or less.

We need a few things done to make them still seem like a threat but not so grossly overpowered that my tame that took hours to tame doesn't die the instant it runs into one of these.

Remove their abilities: Alphas are already strong they dont need the ability to dismount or grab your mount.(aware this pertains to only lions)

Hardiness: Completely remove the damage reduction or lower it greatly (half it or greater).(Currently regardless of melee all tamed creatures will only ever hit an alpha for 12 damage it will never go any higher no matter how much melee you pump)

Spawning: Lower their spawn chance.

Aggro Radius: Needs to be greatly lowered, half the time they see me before i see them and they are legit 100 foundations away. (i would say remove their ability to aggro entirely but i could see that removing too much of the threat)

Structure Abuse: Make them break stone faster(1-2 shot?), i feel its too easy for you to "cheese" alphas through structure abuse.(while this may not be a popular thought, i for one have abused the ability for them to not just smash through structures above wood, but i also feel "leading alphas" to a pin to then just be able to cheese them down without threat of death is kind of negating what you were intending with alphas which is to clearly ruin your day and make you want to punch any nearby people.

Aggro Generalized: They should not by default aggro through walls(tames or players near or close to walls) or aggro structures unless they are in turn aggro'd then ran to said structures(ie you aggro it, it chases, you run to your base and then go into said base at that point yes it should try to "eat structures to get to you")

If i think of anything else, i will update my post but i have to go at this very moment.

Edited by Keety
adding on to my ideas and thoughts.
  • Like 2

They are one of the most viable ways to level up, lower their spawnrate, lower their agro range, but dont remove them.

19 minutes ago, EvilDunk said:

They are one of the most viable ways to level up, lower their spawnrate, lower their agro range, but dont remove them.

Put them in center of island or in whatever other locations, hidding in stone building waiting for them to have their head glitch thro the wall and slaping it is not a fun or immersive gameplay, especialy when we have no such stone building arround  every 5 meters to hide in so can't explore furhter into island without chance that at any moment we can just evaporate without any counterplay.

Disagree, they are awesome for lving. the only annoying thing about them and predators in general is that they will agro you even when you are inside a building with doors closed and bite and damage the walls just because you were standing close to the wall.

alphas are super easy to take care off with a few fire arrows. setting up a few traps outside your base helps too.  when they spawn we have them chase us into one, then take our time laughing as we gain lvls from them. Not to mention they provide massive amounts of hides,bones etc.

if you can't make fire arrows then just make a wood trap, doesn't take much work to place one or two near your base. doesn't work on snakes, but snakes as slow as hell and you can face shot them all day long with a simple bow.

The reason i want them removed completely is because they dont add anything to the game besides a huge wall of frustration Ive been trying to tame animals for the past 3 days and ive lost nearly half of them to random alphas i couldnt do anything about.

Id also like to see Aggressive creatures be aggressive to other aggressive spawns of different species so cats, wolves and snakes will fight each other, To many times has my island be over populated with aggressive animals with no passive ones causing me to spend a hour cleaning them up and suicide run alphas away just so i could safety farm.

7 minutes ago, Nokim said:

Disagree, they are awesome for lving. the only annoying thing about them and predators in general is that they will agro you even when you are inside a building with doors closed and bite and damage the walls just because you were standing close to the wall.

Id like to see you go face to face with a alpha without a wall between you then tell us they dont need a hard nerf or removed.

Edited by Tminus009
  • Like 1

sorry but it doesn't sound like you enjoy the idea of a game with any danger. you are asking for a "I win button"

We have the same issues, but not the same problems. alpha boars and elephants on my island will kill any predators that attack them. We have used them as shields by leading predators to them.

We built giant gates around our taming traps so we are not interrupted.

We have plenty of fire arrows on base to burn down alphas if no veggie alphas around to fight them for us.

also we built our base on top of pillars so no predator can agro or reach us while in base.

As i said they are also great providers of large amounts of mats, so as we use them to lvl up we never have to waste time hunting down 100wolves for hide, because the occasional alpha wolf that shows up at our front door provides us with 1.5k+ easy. and with fire arrows around, it only takes 1 person to handle the alpha while the rest keep doing what they are doing and get massive shared exp.

1 hour ago, EvilDunk said:

Have you ever done a treasure map they give more XP then a alpha AND make sense to the game.

4 minutes ago, Nokim said:

sorry but it doesn't sound like you enjoy the idea of a game with any danger. you are asking for a "I win button"

We have the same issues, but not the same problems. alpha boars and elephants on my island will kill any predators that attack them. We have used them as shields by leading predators to them.

We built giant gates around our taming traps so we are not interrupted.

We have plenty of fire arrows on base to burn down alphas if no veggie alphas around to fight them for us.

also we built our base on top of pillars so no predator can agro or reach us while in base.

As i said they are also great providers of large amounts of mats, so as we use them to lvl up we never have to waste time hunting down 100wolves for hide, because the occasional alpha wolf that shows up at our front door provides us with 1.5k+ easy. and with fire arrows around, it only takes 1 person to handle the alpha while the rest keep doing what they are doing and get massive shared exp.

This is the problem alphas aren't a danger build a stone wall and laugh in there face, how is that fun or dangerous its free mats and XP as you said.

on the other hand no access to stone building or fire arrows yet what do you do?

Edited by Tminus009

btw trasure hunts being better exp...thats questionable, i would say its about as much as 1 alpha kill for anything below 6.0 quality(have not tried higher yet). most treasure maps send you a few sectors away. that means you must waste 20-40+minutes sailing to location then waste the same amount of time getting back to base. thats a massive waste of time. When you can just wait for alphas to spawn near you as you harvest and craft things.

5 minutes ago, Nokim said:

btw trasure hunts being better exp...thats questionable, i would say its about as much as 1 alpha kill for anything below 6.0 quality(have not tried higher yet). most treasure maps send you a few sectors away. that means you must waste 20-40+minutes sailing to location then waste the same amount of time getting back to base. thats a massive waste of time. When you can just wait for alphas to spawn near you as you harvest and craft things.

Wow imagine playing the game instead of waiting for a alpha?

16 minutes ago, Tminus009 said:

Have you ever done a treasure map they give more XP then a alpha AND make sense to the game.

Bruh I said “ONE” of the most viable ways, they are a lot easier than sailing for two hours to get just about triple the xp one time. If you shot some alphas a few times youd get just as much. But yes, alphas are bothersome. Just put a puckle on your base and fire away. Also no need to be salty, your opinions are your opinions mine are mine. Calm down

Edited by EvilDunk

1 minute ago, EvilDunk said:

Bruh I said “ONE” of the most viable ways, they are a lot easier than sailing for two hours to get just about triple the xp one time. If you shot some alphas a few times youd get just as much. But yes, alphas are bothersome. Just put a puckle on your base and fire away.

This would be a good option if my company wasnt mostly 2 people and rarely a 3rd between 2 people getting all those nice skills is difficult.

Just now, Tminus009 said:

This would be a good option if my company wasnt mostly 2 people and rarely a 3rd between 2 people getting all those nice skills is difficult.

Thats fair enough, if you have less than 6 people then alphas can just destroy you. There is for sure some balance opportunities for grapeshot to fix 

2 minutes ago, Tminus009 said:

Wow imagine playing the game instead of waiting for a alpha?

huh? did't i just say that? sailing and doing nothing for 40+minutes is your idea of playing the game?

i guess that explains why you think alphas should not exist.

1 minute ago, Nokim said:

huh? did't i just say that? sailing and doing nothing for 40+minutes is your idea of playing the game?

i guess that explains why you think alphas should not exist.

Sailing is playing the game you dont just click a location and the boat auto moves there for you.

1 minute ago, EvilDunk said:

Thats fair enough, if you have less than 6 people then alphas can just destroy you. There is for sure some balance opportunities for grapeshot to fix 

hardly, we only  had 3 on last night. the 6x6(standard rates) unofficial we play on was wiped so we had to start over. first thing we did as soon as we could was stock up on fire arrows. after that it only took 1 person to take care of alphas  while the rest farmed mats and built our base. the shared exp from killing alphas got us tons of lvls. We were laughing because every hit of a fire arrow was giving us 1 lvl. By the end of the nigh everyone was in their 20s, and i was 33 because i killed more alphas.We got our base, a sloop an 1 schooner done.

half way thru the patch hit and we were amazed how many more skills we could unlock. at lvl 33 i can unlock an amazing amount of skills.

3 minutes ago, Tminus009 said:

Sailing is playing the game you dont just click a location and the boat auto moves there for you.

Yes but there are better ways to do it.  a raft takes 35+minute to cross a server(not timed but a guess) a sloop with 1 med speed can do it in about 20-22minutes(timed) a schooner with 1 large speed sail can do it in 10minutes(timed).  now that we have a schooner...yes its time to go treasure hunting. But not for exp, exp is a bonus now, its for gold and bps.

early lvls is when exp counts, and sailing around in a raft or sloop..ouch. At 33 i have a very very conformable amount of skills unlocked especially after patch so exp is no longer a concern. So bottom line is, killing alphas early on is the best way to lvl up.

7 minutes ago, Tminus009 said:

For fire arrows to be good do you need to go all the way down the bow tree?

Does that mean you are willing to come to the fire side?  😛

fire arrows is the first skill right below the bow skill. but you do need to unlock the chemical tannery  in order to craft the firegel.   anysugar+fiber = organic paste   organicpaste +flint= fire gel, fire gel +arrow= fire arrow. all done in the mortar and pestle.

On 1/5/2019 at 4:33 AM, Bluediemond said:

3 hours ago, EvilDunk said:

Go do treasure maps theyre way better for xp

1 hour ago, Nokim said:

Does that mean you are willing to come to the fire side?  😛

fire arrows is the first skill right below the bow skill. but you do need to unlock the chemical tannery  in order to craft the firegel.   anysugar+fiber = organic paste   organicpaste +flint= fire gel, fire gel +arrow= fire arrow. all done in the mortar and pestle.

Cant blow fire arrows on every alpha in zones without sap. We struggle enough to keep fur armor on our backs

They add nothing to the game right now and are super frustrating.

You cant have tames in their current condition with the alpha spawn thats currently here. FIX THIS 

1 hour ago, Tminus009 said:

Im asking to see if i need to put 24 point in that tree or 9

taming is shit right now. If you some how manage to find a decent level of something you want to tame that isnt surrounded by alphas and you dont have a saddle on you when you tame it to slap on immediately theres a 50% chance its going to die to an alpha on the way back to your base.  if you ever take it out of the base theres a 100% chance its going to die to an alpha within 3 days. 

Tames are too weak and the frequency and power of alpha spawns is thru the roof

Do yourself a favor and just skip taming for now

Without alphas most of us wouldn't be able to level up anymore. Need thousands of exp and killing anything else gives 1-5 exp max. Alphas give 5-10 exp just for hitting them once and killing one can give hundreds of  exp, maybe even over 1000.

They're annoying but once you hit higher levels your choice is kill thousands of animals for 1 level, or kill 2-3 alphas.

6 hours ago, Nokim said:

alphas are super easy to take care off with a few fire arrows. setting up a few traps outside your base helps too.  when they spawn we have them chase us into one, then take our time laughing as we gain lvls from them. Not to mention they provide massive amounts of hides,bones etc.

if you can't make fire arrows then just make a wood trap, doesn't take much work to place one or two near your base. doesn't work on snakes, but snakes as slow as hell and you can face shot them all day long with a simple bow.

try living in a zone without sap everywhere ...... you cant just flame your way out of the situation.

They respawn too fucking fast to be dealt with. Perhaps your island doesnt have more than one type of aggro animal. If you try living somewhere with 2 or 3 types and they each spawn an alpha it gets VERY old VERY quick. 

• Like 1