Sign in to follow this  
RENAGAD3

NPC/Crewmembers Explained

Has anyone experimented with NPC's and what they can do outside of  being used to control the sails and cannons manually. im wondering if i leave them mounted to the cannons will they defend my boat while im offline? can i mount cannons to my land base and have them set there to defend it if i leave gold in their personal inventory? 

23 minutes ago, RENAGAD3 said:

Has anyone experimented with NPC's and what they can do outside of  being used to control the sails and cannons manually. im wondering if i leave them mounted to the cannons will they defend my boat while im offline? can i mount cannons to my land base and have them set there to defend it if i leave gold in their personal inventory? 

You can set them to auto engage, yes, and alter their hostility level and give them categories to fire at will on and what general range to try and engage them. The AI can be a bit wonky though so YMMV. 

If you set the leave the guns on fire at will, they'll shoot at anything in range.

I had NPCs were parked start shooting at "enemy" sloops across the bay in PvE since we used them (long range + only ships) for hunting some sotd.

If you create a turret with swivel guns, they'll keep your waters clear of crocs, assuming they come in range. I haven't figured out if they'll use ship resource boxes not on ships for payment. I've yet to get them to equip guns and shit

Just now, gadefence said:

If you set the leave the guns on fire at will, they'll shoot at anything in range.

I had NPCs were parked start shooting at "enemy" sloops across the bay in PvE since we used them (long range + only ships) for hunting some sotd.

If you create a turret with swivel guns, they'll keep your waters clear of crocs, assuming they come in range. I haven't figured out if they'll use ship resource boxes not on ships for payment. I've yet to get them to equip guns and shit

They can also be set to do repairs on the ship. In theory they are supposed to pay themselves out of the designated box you can build out of the captaincy tree, but not just out of any box.

16 minutes ago, gadefence said:

If you put gold in the resource box they'll deduct their payment from that. It works, I've built it and used it in this manner. I haven't had any luck getting the autorepairs to work but if you put resources in the resource box you can walk around your ship with a repair hammer and it'll pull from the box, which saves you from having to carry around resources personally.

Funny that bit about them playing fast and loose with the term enemy. I haven't tried giving them FaW orders yet. 

25 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

They can also be set to do repairs on the ship. In theory they are supposed to pay themselves out of the designated box you can build out of the captaincy tree, but not just out of any box.

You both misunderstood my statement. I am planning on making a free standing turret and seeing if the ship resource box pays them when they're near it or just anyone on the ship.

12 minutes ago, gadefence said:

You both misunderstood my statement. I am planning on making a free standing turret and seeing if the ship resource box pays them when they're near it or just anyone on the ship.

So you're asking can a land based npc manning a land based turret be paid out of a ship borne pay box?

5 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

So you're asking can a land based npc manning a land based turret be paid out of a ship borne pay box?

You can put the ship resources box on land (or at least I've seen them before unless this was stealth nerfed). I'm planning on putting the resource box on the turret too.

1 minute ago, gadefence said:

You can put the ship resources box on land (or at least I've seen them before unless this was stealth nerfed). I'm planning on putting the resource box on the turret too.

Okay, now I understand your question. I have no idea but I'm curious to see what your experiment reveals. Let us know.