Sign in to follow this  
smiltstomb

your Icarus(brigantine)was destroyed

what does it mean when the log only shows this?  I went to bed slept 4 hours.  our ships were good, anchored no crew members or npcs on board.  I cam back to this message and every one of our ships were sunk.

It probably means that a griefer came by and sank them. Right now a person can load their inventory up with a bkghjillion tonnes of metal, grapple up onto your boat, and sit there til it sinks. Then they strip it for salvage.

So far the devs have made one offhand comment about how they 'don't encourage griefing' but have done nothing about it.

You'd think 'People can single-handedly sink dozens of ships a night on the PvE server for fun and profit' would be emergency fix worthy. but it wasn't even addressed in this week's major patch, and it's been this way since day 1.

Of course, if you were parked in a freeport that's something else; ships in freeports suffer rapid decay to discourage people treying to harbour in them overnight.

Edited by RyuujinZERO
  • Like 1

If you were in a freeport chances are the boat was sunk due to the decay in that area.  Otherwise it could be either that people overweighted the ships, or an animal aggroed the npcs and the animals tore through the boats.  I've woken up more than once to wolves gnawing at the bottom of a boat when out exploring.

1 minute ago, RyuujinZERO said:

It means that a griefer came by and sank them. Right now a person can load their inventory up with a bkghjillion tonnes of metal, grapple up onto your boat, and sit there til it sinks. Then they strip it for salvage.

So far the devs have made one offhand comment about how they 'don't encourage griefing' but have done nothing about it.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/834910#announcements/detail/1701698673303049644

They responded to it this morning.

I was at my base in claimed waters.  No npcs on board, no sleepers on board.  So weighed down, sweet cant have a ship cant keep land, they make it rough.

6 minutes ago, MindOfMadness said:

Perhaps you can point out to me the bit where they say they're addressing it, because I don't see it there or in the previous patch notes, nor is it mentioned in the upcoming patch.

All we've seen is one dev who said on Steam discussions that they discourage griefing, and are looking into it; which was posted almost a week ago now, between the 'looking into it' status, the fact it didn't make it into last major patch, and isn't lined up for next major patch should rightly instill people with concern they don't really care or take it seriously.

Edited by RyuujinZERO

2 minutes ago, RyuujinZERO said:

Perhaps you can point out to me the bit where they say they're addressing it, because I don't see it there or in the previous patch notes, nor is it mentioned in the upcoming patch.

All we've seen is one dev who said on Steam discussions that they discourage griefing, and are looking into it; which was posted almost a week ago now, between the 'looking into it' status, the fact it didn't make it into last major patch, and isn't lined up for next major patch should rightly instill people with concern they don't really care or take it seriously.

HVFJskY.png

You can report players.  But since i have to sleep at some point.  I never saw. I have 4 people in my company rebuilding ships literally every other day gets old. 

1 minute ago, smiltstomb said:

You can report players.  But since i have to sleep at some point.  I never saw. I have 4 people in my company rebuilding ships literally every other day gets old. 

Give it some time. We're hardly two weeks in to the EA...  I understand it's quite frustrating but as they say "good things come to those that wait".

6 minutes ago, RyuujinZERO said:

Also here:

Another user pointed me at this link.

when it took 2 days solid to build a schooner much less a brig.  And I had to do it on a lawless island with no metal nodes.  Both schooners were sunk within hours by random SOD's stuck on the beach,  I stayed.  When I found crap land in the desert,  and most of my claims were stolen by the Chinese guys who now surround me I stayed.  I'll stay now, but since i cant do anything Ill just sit in my base and hold the land awhile.

Edited by smiltstomb

That seems pretty unenforceable. Unless you catch the griefer in the act of sinking your ship, or they publicly admit to it, there is no way to verify who was responsible (And if you catch them red handed it's usually possible to disarm their attempt by grabbing the sinking-ballast off the floor and throwing it overboard)

None company players weight shoudn't effect your ships at all. Also not that hard to make it where non company players can't grapple company buildings and ships.

My company lost, by chance, only one small class boat by oneshot by water spout. We have spent our time repairing the others and evacuating them in areas with no waterspout for the moment.

Guys, you have all our support.

Edited by swefpifh

Well being they can detect the weight of someone on the ship, I would imagine they could probably code a way to detect the player ID that has stepped foot on the ship.  Perhaps adding this information to the tribe log as an "alert" could work and then use that to report people with.  Maybe PvP would have some issues with this but PvE could definitely use this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smiltstomb said:

None company players weight shoudn't effect your ships at all. Also not that hard to make it where non company players can't grapple company buildings and ships.

Then people will just body bag and have someone drop company, make a sloop, and transport 100k of mats across the map.

Thats true.  So there is no fix?  if any group comes by with enough people and just feels like it they can sink ships and its unstoppable, thus official serves are unplayable especially for small companies like mine and unofficial are super lame sailing in a 1 or 2 zone area.  I can appreciate that working on the issue in the near future does seem to be on their.  But as a small company, not being able to have a ship in a pirate game makes it pretty unplayable.  what ship had their price reduce anyway.

EDIT:  I'm not usually this bitter but damn, the clowns could've left my sloop.

Edited by smiltstomb

3 minutes ago, smiltstomb said:

Thats true.  So there is no fix?  if any group comes by with enough people and just feels like it they can sink ships and its unstoppable, thus official serves are unplayable especially for small companies like mine and unofficial are super lame sailing in a 1 or 2 zone area.  I can appreciate that working on the issue in the near future does seem to be on their.  But as a small company, not being able to have a ship in a pirate game makes it pretty unplayable.  what ship had their price reduce anyway.

The easiest fix is to limit how much people can pick up so you don't have players carrying around 50-100k of rock and metal. Or just make it so a boat doesn't move when overweight instead of sinking.

Another option is carrying around that much weight causes player damage instead of damage to the craft you're on.

Well I guess we will see what they do.  But I'm not building another ship and I don't do taming.  So if anyone needs me I'm on Holten haven in h4 have a stop by and say hello I'll be home.

2 minutes ago, smiltstomb said:

Well I guess we will see what they do.  But I'm not building another ship and I don't do taming.  So if anyone needs me I'm on Holten haven in h4 have a stop by and say hello I'll be home.

haven't seen much griefing in the lawless zones lately; you're welcome to come hang out with us.

P.S. Bring saps and crystal :classic_cool:

I figure they are griefing in areas where they want to run people off and take the and claims.  We were going lawless but keeping our claims.  Literally today when the others get off work.  But we have no ship lol. Also just noticed even after lvling I cant respec so I cant build ship now, which will make things much harder.

Edited by smiltstomb

1 hour ago, smiltstomb said:

I figure they are griefing in areas where they want to run people off and take the and claims.  We were going lawless but keeping our claims.  Literally today when the others get off work.  But we have no ship lol. Also just noticed even after lvling I cant respec so I cant build ship now, which will make things much harder.

Spawn in a freeport and just raft over to a lawless island. Worry about transporting all your mats over later.

Well I could do a sloop if that I guess but Im good.  in my crafting room atm.  Just sitting thinking.  This sort of "pvp" we are playing on PVE takes a lot of thinking.

• Like 1

I'm resource locked smilt i feel ya had to claim in the tundra  no land anywhere else  cold kills me super wolves kill me so had to go to  lawless made some decent progress  after last nights patch resources are not spawning near foundation pieces understandable i get that was always the intention however this  creates whole new griefing tool .All along  the peninsula where im at are single little foundation blocks spread out now nothing spawns there except animals  .

Yup so that's how they block lawless.  welcome to a PVE that is unplayable.  They whoever they are have blocked one of my shipyards now and own the sea around them so I cant rebuild one.  I started a schooner frame just so the other cant be blocked.  Im not sure what costs on ship were reduced btw, Im back to sitting in my crafting room.

If only me and 3000 of my closest country men came together.

Edited by smiltstomb