Sign in to follow this  
JasonYork

Overweight sinking bug suggested fix

Could we please have 2 changes implemented to prevent/severely hinder the sinking of ships by overweight players on PvE servers.

1. If overweight the player cannot move at all, or be grappled.

2. If the player is overweight they take damage, scaled on how overweight they are. (aka if you're just over you barely take any damage, if you're 1000's overweight you take significant damage.)

I believe these 2 simple changes would make the current relentless griefing of sinking ships on pve servers much less common.

(This would also be reliant on the current armour weight reset bug being fixed)

Edited by JasonYork

The entire problem is that people are exploiting the weight bug to get on ships with THOUSANDS of kilos in weight.  Look at the video that is doing the rounds, where ONE person and what he is carrying is enough to sink ship after ship, effortlessly.  Making boats take damage based on how much they are overloaded is currently a laughable suggestion.

Make them too heave to move and that's it, for now.  A better fix will come along eventually.

I didn't mean boats, i meant the player carrying the weight takes damage, but boats take damage from being overweight already hence the entire point??

I would suggest a combination of 2 changes: those not in your company do not count toward crew limit and any weight on them is not added to your ship AND they also cannot be transported by your ship unless their company is allied. So if they are standing on the deck of your ship when it moves, they shortly find themselves in the water. This should prevent weight exploits.

The problem I see with the Op’s Suggestion would be the griefer willing to make multiple trips loading themselves up just under the weight limit and then depositing that weight on any accessible inventories on board like campfires.

Edited by boomervoncannon

Just now, boomervoncannon said:

I would suggest a combination of 2 changes: those not in your company do not count toward crew limit and any weight on them is not added to your ship AND they also cannot be transported by your ship unless their company is allied. So if they are standing on the deck of your ship when it moves, they shortly find themselves in the water. This should prevent weight exploits.

The problem I see with the Op’s Suggestion would be the grieved willing to make multiple trips loading themselves up just under the weight limit and then depositing that weight on any accessible inventories on board like campfires.

over all items are lockable including campfires 

yep all containers of all types can now be locked (thank god!), decay timer on dropped items is only a couple of mins so that wouldn't work either.

I'm not saying my suggestions are a permanent fix, but it would make sinking ships by current methods extremely difficult with a few quick and simple changes.

1 minute ago, uli said:

over all items are lockable including campfires 

Is this newly patched? I tried locking stations initially and wasn’t able. Perhaps I just missed something. 

Just now, JasonYork said:

yep all containers of all types can now be locked (thank god!), decay timer on dropped items is only a couple of mins so that wouldn't work either.

I'm not saying my suggestions are a permanent fix, but it would make sinking ships by current methods extremely difficult with a few quick and simple changes.

Yes Iwould agree that if all stations are lockable now your idea seems very reasonable and viable. Forgive my ignorance as to the change.

23 minutes ago, JasonYork said:

I didn't mean boats, i meant the player

Very badly expressed then.