Brick

Can we get some designated Raid times?

Sad to say that myself and most of my company probably wont be playing much after today which is a shame since we've had so much fun. An American zerg company, OwO, decided to send 15 people to attack our ships in port at 4 o'clock in the morning while we're all asleep. Mind you, they used some pretty deceitful tactics claiming that they wanted to help us fight the chinese zergs and even possibly ally up. If I've learned anything from survival games, you dont take the words of others very seriously,  so I cant be upset about that. 

The biggest thing that irks me is that fact that they sneak in when no one is online, sink all our ships and kill all our crew AI in our cannon towers and then proceed to shit talk as they bring 50 people the next day while we try to pickup the pieces. 

Seems to me that a very simple implementation to solve these kinds of issues would be designated raid times. Even if it was 8 AM - Midnight, it would atleast stop the middle of the night destruction. I dont know how many people would agree with this suggestion. Hell, i may be the only one, but any input from fellow sailors would be appreciated. I dont wanna have to give up on this game, but with the current mechanics its just too much of a pain to have all our work shattered when we arent even online.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Lolifister said:

Conan exiles had that and I think it worked really well.

CE dead.

1 minute ago, Redrick said:

CE dead.

It is, but I doubt that raid times had anything to do with it.

18 minutes ago, Brick said:

Sad to say that myself and most of my company probably wont be playing much after today which is a shame since we've had so much fun. An American zerg company, OwO, decided to send 15 people to attack our ships in port at 4 o'clock in the morning while we're all asleep. Mind you, they used some pretty deceitful tactics claiming that they wanted to help us fight the chinese zergs and even possibly ally up. If I've learned anything from survival games, you dont take the words of others very seriously,  so I cant be upset about that. 

The biggest thing that irks me is that fact that they sneak in when no one is online, sink all our ships and kill all our crew AI in our cannon towers and then proceed to shit talk as they bring 50 people the next day while we try to pickup the pieces. 

Seems to me that a very simple implementation to solve these kinds of issues would be designated raid times. Even if it was 8 AM - Midnight, it would atleast stop the middle of the night destruction. I dont know how many people would agree with this suggestion. Hell, i may be the only one, but any input from fellow sailors would be appreciated. I dont wanna have to give up on this game, but with the current mechanics its just too much of a pain to have all our work shattered when we arent even online.

Ok smartass and which timezone you want?! probably yours so everybody else is fu...ed....

Edited by [RG]Colt
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I agree some protection would be nice.
It is supposed to be a MMO we have to have a way to save some progress.

I cant say what game but some in development title uses a system.
Where you get a specific resource that is available for every claim.

When you reach x amount of that resources plus gold you can pay for 24 hour protection of your base.
That be really good if we get that here as well.

It helps smaller company with getting a footing in the world and it lets you breathe and play the game with out the constant worry of being wiped.
And having to start all over again.

Edited by Watru

2 hours ago, Brick said:

It is, but I doubt that raid times had anything to do with it.

It was a contributing factor. The others factors were some very serious bugs/exploits that never got fixed ie but all your best gear onto your body then log off and your body vanishes but returns when you log back in. Also broken very high pillar bases that very hard to raid.

Offline Protection wouldn't work anyway for Atlas since all of these servers have players from vastly different time zones ranging from American to Euro to Chinese to Oceania. Implementing a time zone would effectively lock out large portions of the player base from PVP.

Edited by Bullet Force

2 hours ago, Lolifister said:

Conan exiles had that and I think it worked really well.

I agree.

Atlas , at the moment, needs a PvP structures and ships damage  time

I think you need to look at Eve online system of claiming territory. 

When you attack a structure it generates a countdown. When the countdown reaches 0 the structure becomes destroyable. Set this timer to a few days to let the defenders prepare for the onslaught

• Like 1

People play at diffrent times, you cant change a game becouse some people dont play on those hours, would destroy the game.

The PvE server is calling your name. This is a Survival Game. You have to protect your stuff. If you think you wont lose anything your nuts. You know how many Brigs have been lost by big, small, chinese, american, or whatever you want to refer to other companies as have loss? Dedicated Raid times is obsurd. Make your own private server and set those rules. 

Protection may not be as bad could br similar to rend's setup

Might want to read the book called the Art of War. Sounds like you will learn a few things from it.

Edited by Yrroth

Not sure I favor simple "offline" protection but something like Midnight cst to 9am est protection would cover everyone decently well on NA for example, and a similar could be placed in the european and whatever other servers they eventually put up.      The game's pvp fun is when you're actually PVPing against live crews in other boats and structures.   Making most of the PVP into raiding offline groups is just sad.

9 hours ago, [RG]Colt said:

Ok smartass and which timezone you want?! probably yours so everybody else is fu...ed....

Most MMORPG's worth a salt have KNOWN how to implement siege mechanics for a long time

Dark Age of Camelot

Shadowbane 

Just to name a couple and namely those two because of there age, to show how long this knowledge has been around!!!

Attacker places a siege!!!   Defender has a 72 hour window to set the time of Defense, when the window is set the attackers follow thru.....

its really that easy!

Funny thing is, I play on the EU server I am a NA player who plays FIRMLY in the US East coast peak time.  The company I am with is mostly EU players, but there is about a dozen of us who are NA/PacRim timezone players.   In our discord, after they made a big push on a rival company they left a message for us to expect a counter attack during the opposing company because they are mostly US players.   They made sure that we had supplies stockpiled and everything was ready if an attack did come.  

Hmm... sometimes a little communication and forethought helps with this.   Setting dedicated attack times is stupid, it didnt work in Life Is Feudal and it wont work here.

Conan Exiles had that and it worked really poorly. It's just really janky to have artificial constraints on when you can raid for no reason. It wasn't made clear in game and the result was a lot of confusion. I don't think it worked at all. PixARK tried this also, to even worse results (imagine all the problems of PvP servers and all the problems of PvE servers, with none of the solutions of either).

I am not saying that there can't be any way for this genre to develop some sort of offline protection, I actually wish devs would try harder on this problem. I just think they need to get a lot more creative and mechanics-oriented than just imposing artificial limitations on a world that's supposed to be open, though. Most of the solutions we've seen implemented in other survival games have sucked one way or another.

Edited by TelFiRE

9 hours ago, [RG]Colt said:

I dont agree with the original post. Raiding is all part of the game and there are things you can do to defend your ship and base while offline. however this is an extreme response to an idea. not to mention the fact that the game is split between EU/NA so this idea would be easy to implement in a reasonable time frame to anyone that is supposed to be in those servers.    

I think its weird that this entire thread is ignoring the fact you can use NPC's to defend while offline. 

Edited by RENAGAD3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, RENAGAD3 said:

I dont agree with the original post. Raiding is all part of the game and there are things you can do to defend your ship and base while offline. however this is an extreme response to an idea. not to mention the fact that the game is split between EU/NA so this idea would be easy to implement in a reasonable time frame to anyone that is supposed to be in those servers.    

I think its weird that this entire thread is ignoring the fact you can use NPC's to defend while offline. 

NPC's while offline hardly helps. I've had multiple of my lvl 70 crew members killed and they hardly even fought back. I know this because I have the stream video from the crew that did it. 

2 minutes ago, Maffia said:

NPC's while offline hardly helps. I've had multiple of my lvl 70 crew members killed and they hardly even fought back. I know this because I have the stream video from the crew that did it. 

Im sure there are alot of issues with the NPC defense right now but i think alot of that stems from wildcard not giving us a full range of information on how things work. from what iv read in alot of the forums here the hand to hand/melee fighting is hinky right now. i have even seen a forum where they say you cant have NPC equip guns (untested just stating what i read) but it sounds like the strongest defense for base raiding is setting NPS/Swivel Gun traps inside your base and maybe put some on mortars outside. my company also surrounded a very large area with stone gates to make it harder to get boats up to our base. NPC's are not meant to be a replacement for  live players. that would be unfair to companies that put in the work to recruit. so i dont think we will the day where an NPC will win a 1v1 or even 2-3 NPC vs Live player. your strength is in numbers. 

Just now, RENAGAD3 said:

Im sure there are alot of issues with the NPC defense right now but i think alot of that stems from wildcard not giving us a full range of information on how things work. from what iv read in alot of the forums here the hand to hand/melee fighting is hinky right now. i have even seen a forum where they say you cant have NPC equip guns (untested just stating what i read) but it sounds like the strongest defense for base raiding is setting NPS/Swivel Gun traps inside your base and maybe put some on mortars outside. my company also surrounded a very large area with stone gates to make it harder to get boats up to our base. NPC's are not meant to be a replacement for  live players. that would be unfair to companies that put in the work to recruit. so i dont think we will the day where an NPC will win a 1v1 or even 2-3 NPC vs Live player. your strength is in numbers. 

Yeah... we have over 200 NPC bro lol.

You can not equip them with guns. We did have them on swivel guns but their crew flew in on gliders and attacked us from behind and the NPC's had no clue what to do. 

11 minutes ago, Maffia said:

Yeah... we have over 200 NPC bro lol.

You can not equip them with guns. We did have them on swivel guns but their crew flew in on gliders and attacked us from behind and the NPC's had no clue what to do. 

the game isnt inherently flawed because of this. there are limits to range/motion/and damage on all guns. There are limits to AI abilities. NPC's will never replace live players and there will always be ways to outsmart them. im in no way implying there is a way to create an impenetrable base with NPC's  especially when it comes to island/land claim defense. but it would be very possible to protect specific resources and rooms with them. but there is no way to make anything in this game 100% fortified you could have a room with 50 NPCs watching every wall and could get raided by 100 live players. or maybe even 1 player with the patience to find a blind spot and line up every shot. but 25+ man raids take alot of coordination discipline i have yet to run in to many more than 3 players at a time just island hopping and trying to steal mats. if you are the target of a large coordinated raid then there is not much you could do without a large coordinated live player defense. 

3 minutes ago, RENAGAD3 said:

the game isnt inherently flawed because of this. there are limits to range/motion/and damage on all guns. There are limits to AI abilities. NPC's will never replace live players and there will always be ways to outsmart them. im in no way implying there is a way to create an impenetrable base with NPC's  especially when it comes to island/land claim defense. but it would be very possible to protect specific resources and rooms with them. but there is no way to make anything in this game 100% fortified you could have a room with 50 NPCs watching every wall and could get raided by 100 live players. or maybe even 1 player with the patience to find a blind spot and line up every shot. but 25+ man raids take alot of coordination discipline i have yet to run in to many more than 3 players at a time just island hopping and trying to steal mats. if you are the target of a large coordinated raid then there is not much you could do without a large coordinated live player defense. 

Only 2 people came and raided us.

Just now, Maffia said:

Only 2 people came and raided us.

well i dont think swivel guns have 360 degree range of motion. plus isnt the range on the swivel gun pretty short. the puckel gun (however you spell that) does  considerably less damage but a larger range and horizontal field of view. well placed mortars can help keep ships at range and maybe even destroy smaller ones. could you create 3 sided stone walls behind NPC to protect them.  sounds like your issue is with strategy not NPC AI 

If yu want offline-raid prtection then you have to play on private server. There are no rules like this on official server and I hope they will never add something like this. Due to different timezones it would never be fair to everyone at once. And besides this, official server PvP is the hardest and should stay the hardest.