Poot Pootington

There will never be enough land for everyone.

Regardless of what's done with claims, there will never be enough land for everyone.  The fact that you need land claims to progress is what needs to change.  There needs to be a way to acquire ships without land claims.  Then you don't need land to call home, because you have a floating home base. (The fact it's more worthwhile to sink a ship vs disabling it in a damn pirate game is another topic)

Why aren't land owners able to sell ships, or allow access to their shipyards? 

I have zero incentive to let the dozens of folks in chat everyday asking for claims use my small shipyard that's collecting dust.  Only way to let that happen is to invite them into my company.  But the bank doesn't tax company members; so all I'd be doing is inviting people to take my resource spawns.  No thanks.  Keep sailing you miserable retches. (And we only have two land claims btw; one with our base and one with resources) 

Pirates weren't land Baron's while their 3rd Galleon sat in their harbor.  They lived on their ships.  Make it easier for players to actually use all the ocean space on this ridiculously empty waterworld map.

Edited by Poot Pootington
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Poot Pootington said:

Regardless of what's done with claims, there will never be enough land for everyone.  The fact that you need land claims to progress is what needs to change.  There needs to be a way to acquire ships without land claims.  Then you don't need land to call home, because you have a floating home base. (The fact it's more worthwhile to sink a ship vs disabling it in a damn pirate game is another topic)

I have zero incentive to let the dozens of folks in chat everyday asking for claims use my small shipyard that's collecting dust.  Only way to let that happen is to invite them into my company.  But the bank doesn't tax company members; so all I'd be doing is inviting people to take my resource spawns.  No thanks.  Keep sailing you miserable retches. (And we only have two land claims btw; one with our base and one with resources) 

Pirates weren't land Baron's while their 3rd Galleon sat in their harbor.  They lived on their ships.  Make it easier for players to actually use all the ocean space on this ridiculously empty waterworld map.

Me and my group (4 of us) have no land, we just sail the seas and our boats are our bases. The only time we build any structure on land is for the shipyard alone. After which we put everything in and sail it out after like 10 minutes. So having land isnt exactly a big issue, just finding a big enough spot to slap the boatyard down is.

I do agree though that it would be cool if you could rent out your boatyards as this would hopefully help minimkse the clutter of them.

There is plenty of space in the sea but my biggest fear is letting the AI try to solo any ship of the damned that decide to show up. 

Also until players can no longer sink a ship by weighing it down with a sleeping body i think it will be difficult.

Edited by bluelance
  • Like 1

Specing fully into ship building, I was deeply saddened to see we aren't able to unclaim / sell our ships we build. 

Speaking about land though, I wish the maps and grids would have been done alittle different, Having a few grids be massive islands. Like the whole grid being one land mass with wide, deep rivers running throughout for people to all have beach or river side land to claim. Increasing land overall by huge amounts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poot Pootington said:

If they make ships less susceptible to being arbitrarily destroyed through SOD (progress made), whales (needs attention), or griefing (needs attention asap), then basing on a ship would be more viable. As it stands now, losing your ship to any one of those things can be doubly devastating if that ship served as your base, because now you just lost all that too. This is why even pirates had bases, because bases don't sink. I'm from North Carolina, and the most famous pirate of all, Blackheard, spent a good deal of time here. You should probably look into places like Tortuga and Port Royal if you think pirates didn't have bases out of which they operated.

But your core point is reasonably sound. They need incentives to give landholders a reason to rent land, because there likely wont' ever be enough of it to go around. I think that sort of thing is in the works, but we shall see. Using your own experience as a landholder is a strong way to illustrate the problem. You literally have no reason to do the thing that would most easily help ameliorate the problem.

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Tortuga

/Thread.

I do like the ideas of selling ships and/or renting shipyards/land.

Edited by Teach
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Teach said:

/Thread.

I do like the ideas of selling ships and/or renting shipyards/land.

Yes I like this idea as well.  An excellent suggestion.

1 hour ago, Poot Pootington said:

There will never be enough land for everyone.

Actually, there will.  As soon as the online population dwindles to about 15% of what it is now, which will be in about 1 year.

All we need is the option to unclaim ships like tames the selling will happen as a byproduct.

Edited by Nari

lthough pirates stayed on their ships for quiet a long time, they were not LIVING there, as they had bases, outposts or even whole pirate towns to start their journeys and missions from. 
they also repeatedly returned to land to other ports and cities to sell ships they seized, goods they plundered, restock, etc etc. 

only because you "live on a ship" for an extended amount of time, there are times even the biggest ships would have to  get back to a base-

even modern submarines, carriers etc need to get back once in a while. 

apart from that :

we need ways to make bases more useful, as well as more options to open stuff to the public. 

- taverns and inns for selling of foods, drinks and spawn points (temporary spawns that be used once, for a fee) and to recruit NPC crew

- shipyards and drydocks -> to either build ships or repair ships for gold
increases usefulness of shipyards and extends itr beyond "building this ship once"

- ship traders -> lets you buy and sell used / seized ships for gold
incentivizes the seizing of ships instead of sinking them

- merchants -> prefab buildings or stands that let you buy weapons, trinkets, biome-specific visual only upgrades to clothes, weapons and even ships.

Items cost gold, the claim owner gets a tax cut from each sale. (makes travelling to distant places for visuals a thing maybe)

- warehouses and trade-offices to set up "want to buy" - "want to sell" orders from anyone that physically deposits ressources into them. (not talking auction houses here)
setting up those orders costs gold

- guard houses or sherrifs offices
lets you hire NPC´s that patrol the claim and attack predators or enemy players 

- goverment buildings
lets you sign bounties against players and gives you a way to collect the bounties when proof is brought back.

--

for all this I would still propose a dedicated skill tree section: "colonization",, that specifically lets you build and improve your claim with prefab buildings, 
as with skills that improve the performance and ROI of those buildings as well. 

• Like 1