ChromeSDK

I made a program to help solo players and small groups play alone across all 225 grids much easier and on most hardware.

Separate release thread over here: 

Sorry, I made that thread with the intention on closing this one, unfortunately, I don't see a way of doing that.

Edited by ChromeSDK
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 7

5 minutes ago, ChromeSDK said:

***ISSUES

* The time can sometimes get desynced by about 2 hours (thats the most I've ever seen it off by between servers) you can see this in the video when I switch servers the first time. Not quite sure how this happens since from what I could tell the time on the servers should be set based from the starting date and time set in the servereditor and should be calculated from the date and time on the server computer, so I am not sure how it is getting a little off, I'll have to investigate some.

You just need to tick "use UTC time" on the json file of the map in servergrideditor. all the grids will sync then regardless of when they are brought up/taken down.

14 minutes ago, Teach said:

You just need to tick "use UTC time" on the json file of the map in servergrideditor. all the grids will sync then regardless of when they are brought up/taken down.

Ah thanks! Can't believe I overlooked that!

That's great! Where will the tool and updates you made be released?

I have a question: "If you turn the server tickrate down especially" what does it mean? How to do it? 

7 minutes ago, qqjp said:

That's great! Where will the tool and updates you made be released?

Well for now I am just going to distribute it individually to the people wanting it right now to test it. But next week when I am fully comfortable releasing it, I will have something much more formal set up and I will post about it here. Right now I just wanted to put this out there and gauge how many people were interested so I know how much time I should devote to the project.

This will be a great tool, and you may be able to help officially develop a single player version of the game. Looking forward to and thank you for your work.

10 minutes ago, qqjp said:

I have a question: "If you turn the server tickrate down especially" what does it mean? How to do it? 

as for this, on a fresh server you can go to your defaultengine.ini and add this to the bottom:

[/script/onlinesubsystemutils.ipnetdriver]
NetServerMaxTickRate=15

or if you are adding it to a server already set up and going, you can go into each "saved" folder for each server you have setup and add it to each of the engine.ini files.

On 1/9/2019 at 9:50 AM, ChromeSDK said:

[/script/onlinesubsystemutils.ipnetdriver]
NetServerMaxTickRate = 15

Thank you

Edited by qqjp

This is really great. I must admit when I read "dynamically changing which are open and closed based on where you are located" I thought you were reading the server and grabbing the players grid coordinates somehow and programmatically opened/closed servers when your coordinates got close to the borders. This is miles better than what I've come up with for my 225 setup.  

You should also consider adding a ini config writer so you can add custom game.ini, gameusersettings.ini and engine.ini settings to all 225 folders. I've previously written my own little program to do this:

https://pastebin.com/RFY4jmn9

Not sure if you wrote your program in C#,  but feel free to use anything in that. It probably won't help much cause I've hard coded it for my usage scenarios, but it still may prove useful so why not share it I guess.

So actually got a decent question. If your gonna have all 225 servers going, now I know not all at the same time. Are you still gonna have to do the all the port forwarding for those servers?

You would have to yea, but you could use range forwarding rather than doing them 1 by one, I just did a 4x4 grid forwarding setup and it required 4 firewall entries in the router (because the router I used requires seperate entries for tcp vs udp)

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Dunning said:

This is really great. I must admit when I read "dynamically changing which are open and closed based on where you are located" I thought you were reading the server and grabbing the players grid coordinates somehow and programmatically opened/closed servers when your coordinates got close to the borders. This is miles better than what I've come up with for my 225 setup.  

You should also consider adding a ini config writer so you can add custom game.ini, gameusersettings.ini and engine.ini settings to all 225 folders. I've previously written my own little program to do this:

https://pastebin.com/RFY4jmn9

Not sure if you wrote your program in C#,  but feel free to use anything in that. It probably won't help much cause I've hard coded it for my usage scenarios, but it still may prove useful so why not share it I guess.

You know, its ironic that you mentioned that. I actually just cracked the question on how I would do it all automatically. Unfortunately, I am not sure how I would grab the players coordinates to do it that way. But if you are using the 5 servers cluster in the app, the app will now automatically move through the grids with you with zero input from you, because I have now figured out how to track which server you are on.

Edited by ChromeSDK
  • Like 1

I am definitely interested in this program. Having the capability to explore the actual official map this way and on my terms with my server settings would be phenomenal. My small ragtag group of 5 would enjoy this for a good while.

Thank you for putting time into something like this.

~Oni

I'm very interested too. Play solo on a dedicated server - sometimes with my Daughter. Thank you for taking the time to do this!

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! We run a small crew of 5-8 friends and have toyed with the idea of playing on a private server, but running a 1x1 grid feels like it neuters the experience. I have a dedicated customized 1x1 grid server up, but since we have been spending our time on the official servers up to now I'd love to emulate the official world to keep that same vibe. Good work!

One question I would like to ask, what happens if you sail NE, SE, SW or NW and hit the diagonal zone line as from what I can see the tiles support N, E, S and W tiles to pre load. Im guessing it would be easier to adjust the direction your sailing so you don't hit the corner of a tile.

My apologies if this is a daft question but unless the other side by side tiles, shown in your video, can be loaded to cover the diagonal tiles I don't see any other way to do it, maybe I missed some explanation in your video and apologise if I have.

Amazing work you are doing and would love to try it out on a home server if you permit.

Many thanks and keep up the amazing work you are trailblazing.

@ChromeSDK Since the ATLAS Dev Kit is soon to be released. The idea of getting X and Y locations of all players to make an automatic system of stopping/starting nearby Servers is 100% possible. It's just the matter of how you're going to do it. The mod sends this data automatically to a file that is updating every couple of seconds on your PC. Your App can read off of that. That way, creating an automatic system of checking if a player is close to a border of the next Region they're about to enter, allowing the app to instantly start up that nearby region Server ready for the player/s to enter. 🙂

^ If someone decides to team up with you and take on this idea / project, this would be giving huge potential for the game and for the community.

Edited by Biggums
  • Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 1:38 AM, ChromeSDK said:

Well for now I am just going to distribute it individually to the people wanting it right now to test it. But next week when I am fully comfortable releasing it, I will have something much more formal set up and I will post about it here. Right now I just wanted to put this out there and gauge how many people were interested so I know how much time I should devote to the project.

Hi. Im interested in testing your software. It sounds just like the answer Im after as I've been struggling for a couple of days now to get any form of private server up. And considering how the resources have dried up where I am on the official servers this looks to be the best option. So how can I test for you?

That might be an issue, however chromesdk is a smart dude and there's at least boat x/y and server location info in the redis db, and he did mention being able to figure out player coordinates.  Likely he'll adapt the system to identify player locations and be able to spin up servers as players approach borders.  This might work out better as its possible that you might be able to set it up to run only server instances that players are currently on and to spin up ones that they're approaching via ship.

If that worked you could theoretically have like 5 people playing in completely different zones, and only have their current active instances running or ones that they're approaching.