Bluediemond

Threats of quitting....

You've already paid for the game. Producers of Atlas have made all they're going to make off of you. What would it matter to them if you continued to play? Stop the completely nonthreatening claims that you will quit, and just quit if you're going to. The griefers are causing enough drama already.

• Like 2

I hope the weaklings DO quit.  The chorus of wails, moans and sobbing is quite distracting at times.  Most players just get on with the challenge.

Edited by Coggage

35 minutes ago, Bluediemond said:

You've already paid for the game. Producers of Atlas have made all they're going to make off of you. What would it matter to them if you continued to play?

This may or may not be true (micro transactions and xpacs come to mind). But here is why I think it still matters to them... Word of mouth. The reviews have been bad. People talk about games, both the positive and negative aspects. Just because they have received my money once, doesn't mean that's all they will try to get out of people. If people continue to play, then there is the possibility of further revenue in the future. And that's in every companies best interest!

I keep referring people over to this game. I like it, even with the norms of EA playing.

• Like 2

The other thing to contemplate about is active players. Particularly in the PVP servers, the content is generally driven by player actions. When content dries up, more players leave ... eventually dead game.

1 hour ago, Sulfurblade said:

Don't worry you will have your rust experience of decaying bases and empty islands soon enough!!!

I played Ark from the beginning till the wheels pretty much fell off. I'm familiar with exactly that experience. Best money I ever spent to play a game 4 years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

actually a person happy with the game could recommend it to hundreds of people and bring dozens of friends to buy the game.

its not like the devs would not care but we need more patience, it takes time to fix this and there is alot broken. devs are doing a great job fixing things really fast and its making good progress so we might see alot more stuff to make the game complete that is already hinted at. thou a few temporary hotfixes for aggro animals and exploits would help to calm things down.

14 hours ago, Bluediemond said:

I played Ark from the beginning till the wheels pretty much fell off. I'm familiar with exactly that experience. Best money I ever spent to play a game 4 years.

As a PvP game, it is extremely lacking.  The majority of action on the "PvP" servers, wasn't PvP.  Raiding an empty base is a total yawner.  Raiding a base when you plan ahead, and have a large attacking force, and the target has no clue, so almost nobody is on...BORING.  I prefer PvP when the other P, as in Player, is actually in the fight.   The only person who could enjoy that action, is somebody who grew up using cheat codes on their console, to breeze through every game they ever owned, and thought it was a fun and exhilarating experience.  The same people who would go to the Mass Effect Wiki, and read about the mission...before their first play through.  The turrets were pointless.  Many videos of people easily soaking them dry, or simply rushing them and blowing them up while they shoot at their buddy, which takes all of 15 seconds or less.  The problem with that game, and this game, is that those who develop them, don't understand what real PvP is.

These people now find themselves in Atlas, and think it is PvP when they use fire arrows to sink somebody's ship, while the owners are asleep, or pile onto a person's ship in PvE, where the owner can't do anything to stop you from sinking his ship because of poor game code.

And people didn't threaten to quit this game, they already did quit, and they took many potential buyers with them.

Edited by Captain Jack Shadow
spelling
  • Like 5

I have played Pure PvP games for decades, such as the Delta Force series, WWIIOL, Battlefield, CoD, Counter Strike, ARMA, etc...  I know PvP.  ARK isn't PvP most of the time, with offline raids being the preferred route.  The majority of the rest of the time, it's poor PvP because the defender was so outnumbered, it wasn't even a fight.

Both ARK, and this game, would benefit from a system where in order to attack a base, you have to declare war on it, and the defender has 24 hours to prepare.  This way, the attacker isn't the only one with a full crew in the fight.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bluediemond said:

You've already paid for the game. Producers of Atlas have made all they're going to make off of you. What would it matter to them if you continued to play? Stop the completely nonthreatening claims that you will quit, and just quit if you're going to. The griefers are causing enough drama already.

I hope they quit too. I like seeing the numbers drop consistently. As well as less viewers on twitch and you tube. Not to mention there is even a lot less replies to atlas tweets on Twitter. 

Slow but steady 👍

1 hour ago, Linea said:

actually a person happy with the game could recommend it to hundreds of people and bring dozens of friends to buy the game.

its not like the devs would not care but we need more patience, it takes time to fix this and there is alot broken. devs are doing a great job fixing things really fast and its making good progress so we might see alot more stuff to make the game complete that is already hinted at. thou a few temporary hotfixes for aggro animals and exploits would help to calm things down.

Nah. All the people that were going to buy it already bought it. Numbers are steadily dropping and all of the negative reviews are out from both players and professional critics.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bluediemond said:

Stop the completely nonthreatening claims that you will quit

You actually think people are going to take orders from you?  I don't think so.

I always find it amusing how people making this threat seem completely oblivious to how directly analogous it is to "I'm taking my ball and going home!"

Only you're not even leaving with the ball (your money). People who make this threat are almost guaranteed to go nowhere. The people who actually leave almost never bother to say so, they just leave. They do so because they were never heavily emotionally invested in the game, so it's shortcomings aren't something they dwell on, they just go. The one's here whinging are those who ARE heavily emotionally invested and despite their prodigious protestations, chances are slim they're going anywhere come what may.

5 hours ago, Bluediemond said:

I have never seen such ignorance.  I am a loyal player of ark (and other games)  and have the base games and all dlc bought and payed for on ALL my consoles and pc.  I'm sure theres some that will quit that are loyal like me,  but I'm also sure that will be because of the Chinese not on wildcards ability to deliver a satisfying game experience. Haters gonna hate..  But remember the devs are listening and criticism is only one way to go about it.  And for the devs that read this.  We love you and we got faith you're gonna do your damnedest to make Atlas the game to end all other games.  Now region lock the Chinese and get a better server host ffs. The ping is disgusting. Iv over 220 hours and I'm going mad.  Atlas is electronic crack.  Bring out some more skins.  Get some quests going.  Add pirate songs like assassin's Creed black flag.  Let's gooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.  I love you. 

11 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

I always find it amusing how people making this threat seem completely oblivious to how directly analogous it is to "I'm taking my ball and going home!"

Only you're not even leaving with the ball (your money). People who make this threat are almost guaranteed to go nowhere. The people who actually leave almost never bother to say so, they just leave. They do so because they were never heavily emotionally invested in the game, so it's shortcomings aren't something they dwell on, they just go. The one's here whinging are those who ARE heavily emotionally invested and despite their prodigious protestations, chances are slim they're going anywhere come what may.

That's not completely true.  Yes there are those who make empty threats, but there are just as many who did have high hopes for the game, and who make the statement out of frustration.  People who are frustrated, don't tend to stick around, if the frustration is not ended.  Gamers want to be challenged, not frustrated.

16 hours ago, Bluediemond said:

What would it matter to them if you continued to play?

If enough people quit playing the steam ranking will drop.

For an MMO, it's in the devs best interest to not only make money off initial sales, but player retention. And the eventual cash shop.

Its EA, I knew what I was getting myself in for when buying the game. I understand EA games, perhaps others just dont understand what it entails.

I have played it, it was a bit of fun, cant be taken too seriously yet until all the whiners 'do one' and after a few more months of development I will probably hop back on. 

I have had a good few weeks play, learnt a thing or two, will probably log in a few times a week until completely wiped and then take a break for a bit.

So far, so good. Exactly what I expected and look forward to what comes next. But damn, I hope they work on that skill tree 🙂

This game is NOT an EA game.  EA games are not supposed to be missing mechanics, whose lack inclusion is game breaking.  This game has that game breaking lack of inclusion...specifically the lack of ability to keep a ship safe when you log off.  When you do log off, that ship is at the total mercy of the community.  If they see it, and want to sink it, they can and nothing stops them.  Nothing at all, unless they are an idiot, and begin firing from a spot in the firing ark of the AI cannons onboard...in other words, off the ship's beam.

This game, and ARK, needed AI that keeps your base totally safe...totally...unless a group declares war on you...a declaration with a delay timer of something like 24 hours, that allows you time to organize a defense.  The incredible lack of PvP in the PvP of ARK, and now this game, is mind boggling.  Good game design encourages PvP.  Poor game design rewards avoiding PvP in a PvP game.

Raiding bases where nobody is home, is NOT real PvP, regardless what the server name is.
Raiding lightly defended bases is NOT good PvP.  It's equivalent to clubbing baby seals.  Not much challenge in it.  I guess some of us just want more challenge.

2 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Poor game design rewards avoiding PvP in a PvP game.

You would think the devs would have learned from Ark. And made Atlas better instead of repeating the same mistakes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

This game, and ARK, needed AI that keeps your base totally safe...totally...unless a group declares war on you...a declaration with a delay timer of something like 24 hours, that allows you time to organize a defense.  The incredible lack of PvP in the PvP of ARK, and now this game, is mind boggling.  Good game design encourages PvP.  Poor game design rewards avoiding PvP in a PvP game.

Sounds like you dont want real time gaming, if that is the case go and play a turn based game.

PvP should be real time, I dont want to sit around for 24hrs for something to do. Sporadic ideas are generally the most fun. 

It would be nice to have some sort of offline raid protection but I dont think they will add that to PvP

Paying customers have a right, even an obligation, to complain when they receive poor service, or when the service doesn't meet expectations. If you're happy with the way things are/were, that's certainly your prerogative, but expecting people that don't share your perspective to go away just because you said so is laughably delusional. And complaining about people complaining is priceless. Welcome to not only the internet but life in general, where people complain about everything! Justified or not. 

I also love your business model of "I already have your money, if you don't like it, just go away!". P.S.: Scammers and con artists love that business model too! And not in a sarcastic way like me! But no honest, self-respecting business owner would have that approach, not if they want to stay in business. 

• Like 1

From years in business a happy customer has a 50/50 chance of telling 1-3 people how great you did and generate new customers...  A angry customer has a 90% chance of scaring off between 1 and 1,000 potential customers..  I'm seriously pissed to see that tornados are sinking anchored ships in my harbor after the newest patch yet again...  Do these guys even bother to test their new patches??

8 minutes ago, Anarki said:

Sounds like you dont want real time gaming, if that is the case go and play a turn based game.

PvP should be real time, I dont want to sit around for 24hrs for something to do. Sporadic ideas are generally the most fun. 

It would be nice to have some sort of offline raid protection but I dont think they will add that to PvP

No, I want real PvP.  What passes for PvP in ARK, and this game now, isn't real PvP.  It's just not.

When I played WWIIOL, I always chose the side that I viewed as having the harder time of it.  Sometimes, that was due to the player numbers, with one side being badly out-gunned.  Other times, it was due to the tier of equipment that was presently in the game.  Each campaign, that could last months, had a progression from tier 0 to tier 3, and each tier shifted the balance as the vehicles were accurately modeled, for the most part, and thus not equal.   I liked the challenge of using tanks as an underdog.  I was always in the top 25 tankers, on the top 100 list.  Always.  And unlike the others on that list, I did not cut supply for easy kills, so I had a much lower Time On Mission than the others on the list.  I like a challenge.  I do not, however, like to waste my time on a game that has my failure hard coded into the game.

Here's an example...I watched a famous ARK YouTuber take his large crew to raid somebody else's base.  He admitted that this other crew was harassing his crew's shipping too much, so something had to be done.  Read that as his guys were being bested at sea.  So the response was an assault on their base, that took up an entire, very small island.  Much smaller than the one we are set up on.

So as I watched it, I see things pop out at me.  Mainly, that while defenders were online, there weren't a lot of them, so the death messages weren't that many.  That's actually how I knew there weren't that many defenders.  Just a few of them.  So I dislike the way this game can works, which is just like ARK.  You see, you could totally own another group, every time you meet them in open combat, in the wild, but all they have to do, to win, is schedule a raid, where they have the majority of their players online for the event, but your crew thinks it's just another day, so many are doing real life things.  School work, chores, taking the wife on a date, etc...  So your base is either undefended, or hopelessly under defended.  That is not interesting to me, to be on the attacking side, and frustrating to be on the defending side.

Those that don't have the time or wish to ride the waves of in development  chaos, please do step out and wait until the game has progressed enough to be over the rough start. Start does not mean the day it went live, start can mean another month or so, even of development. Allow those who enjoy the progression of the game and ride the waves of improvements and setbacks that, come with it,  do the ground work of that development to improve the game for you in the long run for the game, overall. heh.

Though, game needs those who do come up with specific problems, so please be sure to keep reporting things as they come up with as much information on what happened!

I feel bad for those who are still having connection problems, that is concerning.. NOT the temp connection problems that come after an update but, those who still have not had a stable run at all. 😕

Edited by Liatni

17 hours ago, Sulfurblade said:

Don't worry you will have your rust experience of decaying bases and empty islands soon enough!!!

this...

The more I see these forums, the more I realize the genius of some of the devs who made/are making games I loved or know I will love.  The Devs of WWIIOL knew that people would not stick around to be the target of other people.  People play to enjoy themselves.  They envisioned a game where the majority of players had roughly a 1/1 K/D ratio.  They were very close to that in the end.

Chris Roberts understands this concept also.  People won't stick around to be a punching bag for the elite players.  So the plan is that in Star Citizen, 9 of 10 ships, or people you meet in game, will be NPCs.  This means that literally everyone can be successful, if they at least try...from the worst player, to the best player.

I would love to see something similar in this game.