Sign in to follow this  
Kamikazie

Suggestion: Ship Crane

The devs clearly did a flat ocean floor and height mapped the islands. There is no real middle ground, it's either all the way down or not. 

The current salvage mechanics are that you have to do trips for hours to do larger salvage work or use exploits like popcorn loot and let it float part way up and grab it before it despawns to repopcorn it. 

What if we made a crane attachment for boats that lowers down a box to store things in. Think of it as a water elevator. Make it 3000kg carry weigh or do slots, 12 slots would be sufficient. This way it's an engaging crew dynamic because one dudes on crane, one on lookout, one or two diving. It would also encourage gameplay usedfor larger ships to salvage. The bigger the ship the more the attachment points

• Like 2

Interesting idea. Haven't done any salvaging to really be able to comment meaningfully, but what you're saying sounds reasonable. I'd suggest resuggesting this at intervals down the line if it doesn't get implemented right away, as I wouldn't be surprised if the devs aren't at a point right now in their development cycle where they are actively considering suggestions, but it doesn't mean they won't be at some point. 

I've not done salvage yet, However I fully back such a thing. Not just for salvage though. A crane would be VERY useful for freighter ships. I've turned my schooner into one. I'd also love to see ceiling gates like we had in ark for flyer. Only modeled differently for a ships deck that we could open and walk or lower tames down into.

For the crane, I'd love to see just a large cargo box attached to the end that could be raised, turned and lowered from the deck to the water level. (Deep as well for divers) that could be filled or unloaded easily without having to play the "Catch the ladder" game.

The crane should be heavy, and meant for utility or freighter ships. Maybe a smaller crane like the side mounted dingy launch for warships that would be used to bring on ammo and supplies, that would weigh much less but the box would hold less and much less weight.

Since there is no way to moor to a dock, pier or anything really safely, It's horrible to fight the ladders to get on and off a ship, let alone with low carry weight.

I'm spec'd fully into salvage and none of this is even remotely necessary. The Dive platform works nicely. ymmv but i enjoy salvaging as it is, and have salvaged sloops in deep ocean without even the help of the dive suit, that just makes it better for long/large salvage ops.

4 hours ago, SomiR said:

I'm spec'd fully into salvage and none of this is even remotely necessary. The Dive platform works nicely. ymmv but i enjoy salvaging as it is, and have salvaged sloops in deep ocean without even the help of the dive suit, that just makes it better for long/large salvage ops.

Have you salvaged a brig or bigger? A galleon on deep ocean took us 5.5 hours with 4 people. 1 gunport and you are swimming back up or doing them all and crawling up. Plus deep ocean, bottom time is 2.5 minutes of scuba. So what... do it all, drown, popcorn it, wait 60 seconds, grab it all drown, and repeat it to the surface? Pass.

There should be some kind of mechanic to move materials from the absurdly deep ocean to the surface.