Sign in to follow this  
IceWarden

Threadripper 2990WX Server Possibilities?

Good Afternoon,

How many nodes do you think a Threadripper 2990WX Server could run with 128GB of RAM? For those that don't know, a Threadripper 2990WX is 3Ghz (4.2Ghz Factory OC) 32-Core (64-Threads). This would be on a dedicated box, as I hear virtualization is pretty bad for Atlas. It would also be running on a 1TB NVME Drive. 

Thanks for the input!

with 128GB of RAM? you couldn't even push 5x5. you need more memory as that would be your bottleneck.   I run 5x5 and sometimes top 60% utilization on 256GB of memory.

20 minutes ago, Shield said:

with 128GB of RAM? you couldn't even push 5x5. you need more memory as that would be your bottleneck.   I run 5x5 and sometimes top 60% utilization on 256GB of memory.

How many players are you running...? What are your server specs if you don't mind me asking?

I run a 3x3 on a VM with 12 cores & 46GB RAM (of 128GB RAM in the hardware, the rest is assigned to ARK servers), we are currently averaging >90% utilization on both RAM and CPU on the VM.

The VM structure itself seems to be fine as far as we can tell, just that we are limited in the amount of RAM we can throw at it, and our processors are a bit slow (2.4GHz).

Our grid is setup with a player cap of 50 per zone, we start seeing latency issues and odd behavior around 20-25 players in a zone.

I should know more this weekend when we upgrade to a new server to migrate our VM to with 3GHz processors (and more threads) and I should be able to push around 75GB of RAM to the ATLAS server and still run our 5 ARK servers (and a few other VMs) with the remaining pool.

Edited by Dinenon

10 minutes ago, Dinenon said:

I run a 3x3 on a VM with 12 cores & 46GB RAM (of 128GB RAM in the hardware, the rest is assigned to ARK servers), we are currently averaging >90% utilization on both RAM and CPU on the VM.

The VM structure itself seems to be fine as far as we can tell, just that we are limited in the amount of RAM we can throw at it, and our processors are a bit slow (2.4GHz).

Our grid is setup with a player cap of 50 per zone, we start seeing latency issues and odd behavior around 20-25 players in a zone.

I should know more this weekend when we upgrade to a new server to migrate our VM to with 3GHz processors (and more threads) and I should be able to push around 75GB of RAM to the ATLAS server and still run our 5 ARK servers (and a few other VMs) with the remaining pool.

What CPUs are you using exactly?

Here is the hardware of our current server:

• HP ProLiant DL380 G6 Server
  • 2 x Intel(R) CPU X5650 @ 2.67Ghz (2 Sockets - 6c/12t each)
  • 110GB DDR3 1333 ECC Registered Memory (thought this was 128GB, my mistake)
  • 8 x Dell 300GB 10000 RPM 2.5" SAS hot-plug hard drive (RAID 10)

Also, using ProxMox as the hypervisor if that is relevant. I also have a test 3x3 grid running on a XCP-ng hypervisor, both seem to function perfectly fine IMO.

Edited by Dinenon

10 minutes ago, Dinenon said:

Here is the hardware of our current server:

• HP ProLiant DL380 G6 Server
  • 2 x Intel(R) CPU X5650 @ 2.67Ghz (2 Sockets - 6c/12t each)
  • 110GB DDR3 1333 ECC Registered Memory (thought this was 128GB, my mistake)
  • 8 x Dell 300GB 10000 RPM 2.5" SAS hot-plug hard drive (RAID 10)

Also, using ProxMox as the hypervisor if that is relevant. I also have a test 3x3 grid running on a XCP-ng hypervisor, both seem to function perfectly fine IMO.

So then I wonder how well a CPU such as an E5-2680 v2 (10c/20t) with 256GB of RAM would fair. 

1 minute ago, IceWarden said:

So then I wonder how well a CPU such as an E5-2680 v2 (10c/20t) with 256GB of RAM would fair. 

E5-2680 v2 may not have enough GHz to handle an ATLAS server.

I'd not recommend lower than 3.6 with a boost of or past 4.6GHz. Expect 4-5GB of ram each tile. Go for 2 threads a server.

I think it would do fairly well on a 3x3 up to around 15-20 players per zone, not sure about larger as I can't currently test any more than that.

My test server has a pair of X5687 processors (4c/8t 3.6GHz each), so faster than my live server, but I have only ever had a handful of people connected to it.

I would suspect that the higher speed would improve the performance for more players or zones (depending on architecture differences, etc.), but I can't personally test that easily.

Edited by Dinenon

I run a Dell R820 with dual socket 8-core Intel Xeon 2.2GHz (total of 16 cores/32 threads) with 256GB of ram.  With 55+ players last night I was hitting 90%+ utilization of CPU resources and 50-60% memory. I have a grid or two crash occasionally but the players seem to really like the server and inter-grid travel is generally pretty quick.  But my 5x5 has every single island available on the map along with some duplicates.

I brought in another server today to spread the load a little by moving grids over to it and leave room for expansion.

1 hour ago, HunterJDL said:

E5-2680 v2 may not have enough GHz to handle an ATLAS server.

I'd not recommend lower than 3.6 with a boost of or past 4.6GHz. Expect 4-5GB of ram each tile. Go for 2 threads a server.

E5-2680 2.8Ghz Stock (3.6Ghz Boosted) 10 cores? What would you recommend. Seems people are running 5x5s on less hardware?

1 hour ago, Shield said:

I run a Dell R820 with dual socket 8-core Intel Xeon 2.2GHz (total of 16 cores/32 threads) with 256GB of ram.  With 55+ players last night I was hitting 90%+ utilization of CPU resources and 50-60% memory. I have a grid or two crash occasionally but the players seem to really like the server and inter-grid travel is generally pretty quick.  But my 5x5 has every single island available on the map along with some duplicates.

I brought in another server today to spread the load a little by moving grids over to it and leave room for expansion.

Was that 55+ Players on the entire server, or just one node?

1 minute ago, IceWarden said:

Was that 55+ Players on the entire server, or just one node?

that was across all my nodes. but what you will find is payer number increases resource usage fairly linearly. I See about 1-2% increase for every 10 players in my case. With a higher clock speed it may not be as much of an issue.

I'm running a 4x4 on a VM with Threadripper 1950X 22 cores assigned and 64GB Ram. I haven't have any issues with it so far, highest I've seen ram go is 89% and CPU 80%.

7 hours ago, wuping said:

I'm running a 4x4 on a VM with Threadripper 1950X 22 cores assigned and 64GB Ram. I haven't have any issues with it so far, highest I've seen ram go is 89% and CPU 80%.

How many islands do you roughly have per grid? I find my maps going between 4-5.5GB which would push me over 64GB if i went 4x4 (current is 3x3)

8 hours ago, wuping said:

Also how many players do you have on average?