Sign in to follow this  
Zwits

My General experience (remove alpha's!)

3 minutes ago, Teach said:

I can't speak for how the rest of the world does it- but we're on a predominant Alpha-spawning island and manage to keep our tames alive with planning.  If you're harvesting and just leaving your tames on follow or stationary on flat ground- expect it to die.

We also place accessible traps in every area we harvest. There's no way around the inevitable- all your possessions, regardless if they are inanimate or tame, can be lost at any time in the blink of an eye. That is the definition of survival. It happens. Removing the elements of danger when they are in fact actually manageable just makes this more like the chat simulator everyone is claiming this game is.

The truth is, everyone just chats because they don't have a clue what they're doing, nor are willing to donate the brain juice it would take to come up with a plan of adaptation.

No, let's just have the Dev's make a carebear title instead.

Frankly, this is why they have unofficial server and mod capability. If you want a pacifist experience, or one that poses no real challenge or threat, make a PvE server for yourselves, turn off spawns, make campfires and sing kumbaya.

Bullshit dude.  Drop the Holier Than Thou Bullshit.  You have to travel to get to things.  You don't always own the area, thus you can't always build on that land.  So how the fuck are you going to build traps near a resource area that is owned by somebody else?  A bear, or Elephant isn't very fast.  An Alpha Lion, or Wolf is.  And you can plan all you want, and even scout ahead, but that Alpha can come over that hill at any time, and your tame is done.  It happens, and there is nothing you can do about it.  Maybe if you are a Mega Company, it's different.  Even then, what the hell are you going to do...put a trap every 50 meters? 

Good games challenge you.  This is not that.  I love a challenge.  I don't mind the Alphas while I am on foot as much, because at least I can rise to that challenge.  Tames are a waste of time.  A liability, with Alphas everywhere.

but you are right.  Mods have been fixing bad games for decades.  You don't have to use unofficial, and mods to make the game easy.  You CAN also use them to fix what is broken, and use mods that add better, more unique challenges.  Been modding games for years.  Mods actually made Skyrim more fun, AND more challenging, with things like Frostfall, etc...Maybe Modders will save this game too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Bullshit dude.  Drop the Holier Than Thou Bullshit.  You have to travel to get to things.  You don't always own the area, thus you can't always build on that land.  So how the fuck are you going to build traps near a resource area that is owned by somebody else?  A bear, or Elephant isn't very fast.  An Alpha Lion, or Wolf is.  And you can plan all you want, and even scout ahead, but that Alpha can come over that hill at any time, and your tame is done.  It happens, and there is nothing you can do about it.  Maybe if you are a Mega Company, it's different.  Even then, what the hell are you going to do...put a trap every 50 meters? 

Good games challenge you.  This is not that.  I love a challenge.  I don't mind the Alphas while I am on foot as much, because at least I can rise to that challenge.  Tames are a waste of time.  A liability, with Alphas everywhere.

but you are right.  Mods have been fixing bad games for decades.  You don't have to use unofficial, and mods to make the game easy.  You CAN also use them to fix what is broken, and use mods that add better, more unique challenges.  Been modding games for years.  Mods actually made Skyrim more fun, AND more challenging, with things like Frostfall, etc...Maybe Modders will save this game too.

I can obviously see this has you a bit tilted...but attempting to believe your sub level 40 tame is -ever- going to stand a remote chance against a 100-200+ Alpha is just insane in it's own right. Low level tames are weak- they level just like you do.

Did you not play Ark? Or any other game that has level requirements?

It's not "holier than thou bullshit"- it's being experienced vs being a novice that is seemingly way out of his depth, and now just getting emotional after suffering so much loss. My company has 10 members, 4 of which are active. We're far from a mega, we're just not naive.

Feed your tames and keep them locked away. They don't ever have to do anything but eat and they will level. If you argument was "My level 100 Wolf gotten ripped apart in 2 seconds by a 112 alpha" I would sympathize, but this is not even remotely the case.

Edited by Teach

1 minute ago, Teach said:

I can obviously see this has you a bit tilted...but attempting to believe your sub level 40 tame is -ever- going to stand a remote chance against a 100-200+ Alpha is just insane in it's own right. Low level tames are weak- they level just like you do.

Did you not play Ark? Or any other game that has level requirements?

It's not "holier than thou bullshit"- it's being experienced vs being a novice that is seemingly way out of his depth, and now just getting emotional after suffering so much loss. My company has 10 members, 4 of which are active. We're far from a mega, we're just not naive.

You have a reading comprehension problem.  I prefer to do things on foot.  I adapted, and overcame.  On an island that people find hard to move about on without guns, I did so.  Now I have guns also, and the only thing I really worry about are the Alphas.  I manage those for the most part.  Occasionally, I do get caught in a bad spot, and have to make my way back, naked, to get my stuff.  I always get it.

You are preaching to the choir about the tames.  Yes, I played ARK, and tamed and bred extensively.  I didn't have the same problem there.  While Alphas were stronger, they were not like these Alphas.  I traversed every ARK on the backs of Dinos, wolves, Thylos, etc...  I never had a problem, because I do adapt and overcome.   This is different.  It's like taking Parasaurs out on a ride in an unofficial server where they buffed all the dinos including Alphas.  Your tame has no shot, and won't ever have a shot.  You won't be able to level a a tame to the point that it can deal with these Alphas.

I, personally, am just fine playing the game without them.  I'm not here to play ARK again.  I want to play on ships.  I would be just fine if they reduced the number of predators to 1/10 of what we have now, or even further.  I am not interested in doing battle with lions and wolves.  ARK did this far better, and more interestingly.  I want to be at sea, on a ship, hunting other ships.  That's what I came for, and everything that gets in the way of that is not appreciated.  I let everyone I know, that the trailer is BS...that it's a whole lot of ARK style smashing rocks and fighting beasts everywhere you go, and no very much action at sea, in comparison.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Teach said:

I can't speak for how the rest of the world does it- but we're on a predominant Alpha-spawning island and manage to keep our tames alive with planning.  If you're harvesting and just leaving your tames on follow or stationary on flat ground- expect it to die.

We also place accessible traps in every area we harvest. There's no way around the inevitable- all your possessions, regardless if they are inanimate or tame, can be lost at any time in the blink of an eye. That is the definition of survival. It happens. Removing the elements of danger when they are in fact actually manageable just makes this more like the chat simulator everyone is claiming this game is.

The truth is, everyone just chats because they don't have a clue what they're doing, nor are willing to donate the brain juice it would take to come up with a plan of adaptation.

In the scenario's I wrote about, there is no game element. its just a given, no counterplay, your tame will die and you can't do anything about it. You can't counter an alpha wolf just appearing at your gate and killing your tame when you close the gatedoor, not with anything you suggested nor said. We should just except that because we lack brain juice?I am no fool sir, and I don't want this game to be easier. But your statement is not only completely false, it is also pretty dumb from your end. That would be like saying you don't need freedom of speech, because there is always a way to make yourself heard.

Make the game as hard as you want, I will only love it more. But this alpha wolf BS just means I can't use tames, which is half the fun of the game for me.

Edited by Zwits

Couldn't agree with you more btw Captain Jack Shadow. except for the ARK part, i never played ARK.

9 hours ago, Teach said:

No, let's just have the Dev's make a carebear title instead.

Frankly, this is why they have unofficial server and mod capability. If you want a pacifist experience, or one that poses no real challenge or threat, make a PvE server for yourselves, turn off spawns, make campfires and sing kumbaya.

Well hello mr elitist you must have been a hardcore raider back when bosses were impossible to beat with out resistance gear.

having to place traps everywhere is really no solution first off the traps may at some point prevent precious resources from spawning, then how is that a challenge`? woho i can trap this thing that one or two shots everything i have in my stable? including me sure if the ai worked correctly and they didnt aggro from across a very large island on to the crew mate they already murdered with her mount and pet, i dont see a challenge i see a broken feature needing attention, if you have to get 40 people together coordinate them and then stand on high ground then the creature is to powerful to be a common spawn like it is at the moment, they might as well belong on cyclops islands and the likes? 

i dont see the alphas becoming rarer as a carebear move i see it as making the game accessible to players who arent in elite company's or might not be extremely super perfect aim bots who can beat the game by trapping a creature then stand for an hour shooting at said creature hoping it does not glitch out and heal fully so you have to stand there another hour, or as the post at the top said trap it leave it there in the hopes nothing new will spawn then get jumped by a new one, they are way to common, ark alphas while a pain in the rear if you got unlucky werent nearly as much off a problem, now this is not ark this is atlas but wanting to be able to play the game for more than 20 min before hitting a wall off constant deaths to try and get an alpha away from your home is not a care bear wish, you want a challenge go live with the cyclops and other monsters, that might actually be a better solution have the damned alphas only spawn there.

• Like 3

Had some strange experience with spawns.  We have a little shore encampment, and noticed that after logging off, we log in and there are no spawns at all.  Now after a short while, things start to materialise.  First may be a sheep, then crocks, then wolves..  The epiphany was that the spawns were due to us being there.  The game throwing things at us.  These animals aren't wandering around, they aren't being governed by some natural behaviour logic code, the game is actually throwing them at us because we're on grid.  The more we fight the more is thrown at us...  That's not normal it's ridiculous.  That's buffoonism from Elite Dangerous.  That explains also why we go off scrapping for fiber or wood, and come back and there's an alpha wolf in the middle of our closed off base.  When stuff like that happens it's artificial.  There should be a spawn perimeter around bases, and when you as a character spawn after a death we should also get a 5 second or so invulnerable counter.  When a couple of alpha snakes or whatnot camp your bed when you're starting out, that is not a fun scenario.  Someone has to do a proper pass on animals and behaviours sometime.  It's whimsical right now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vorxius said:

Had some strange experience with spawns.  We have a little shore encampment, and noticed that after logging off, we log in and there are no spawns at all.  Now after a short while, things start to materialise.  First may be a sheep, then crocks, then wolves..  The epiphany was that the spawns were due to us being there.  The game throwing things at us.  These animals aren't wandering around, they aren't being governed by some natural behaviour logic code, the game is actually throwing them at us because we're on grid.  The more we fight the more is thrown at us...  That's not normal it's ridiculous.  That's buffoonism from Elite Dangerous.  That explains also why we go off scrapping for fiber or wood, and come back and there's an alpha wolf in the middle of our closed off base.  When stuff like that happens it's artificial.  There should be a spawn perimeter around bases, and when you as a character spawn after a death we should also get a 5 second or so invulnerable counter.  When a couple of alpha snakes or whatnot camp your bed when you're starting out, that is not a fun scenario.  Someone has to do a proper pass on animals and behaviours sometime.  It's whimsical right now.

Insteed of invincibility, fix the animals and stuff, but also, what insteed of invicibility would suggest fear, they just run away bcs remember, when they bite when invulnerable, they also damage that bed or in case of a lion, just hold untill invuln ends.

I hate the concept of Alphas full stop. It's a lazy way of placing challanging NPC into the game.

Give me named rare creature spawns. Give me a progression that is more area based on where tougher creatures are. I want something to be tough based on what it is and where, not "just because".

Of course Hydras, Cyclops etc exist. That is more like it.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Not Happy said:

I hate the concept of Alphas full stop. It's a lazy way of placing challanging NPC into the game.

Give me named rare creature spawns. Give me a progression that is more area based on where tougher creatures are. I want something to be tough based on what it is and where, not "just because".

Of course Hydras, Cyclops etc exist. That is more like it.

Or just remove predatory alphas and leave us alphas to level efficiently from time to time. Dealing with them (when you actually can do it) imho can be really aggravating in some situations but also quite satisfying if you go hunt them intentionally. 

2 hours ago, Elrood said:

Or just remove predatory alphas and leave us alphas to level efficiently from time to time. Dealing with them (when you actually can do it) imho can be really aggravating in some situations but also quite satisfying if you go hunt them intentionally. 

How about making gathering, and crafting, matter more for gaining levels.  For a game that seems to want people to specialize, it sure seems to have a singular focus on combat.

Frankly, I liked the way Morrowind had you level up.  The more you actually used a skill, the better you got at it...the more that skill leveled up.  I have never seen a single thing that beats that system for immersion.

So in this game, once it is fleshed out, the more you trade with the NPCs, the better you get at it, and the better the prices, etc.. Also, the more this allows you to level up.  Same for all skills.

Also, if you are not in a Mega, why are you playing on official?  That is a train wreck with that restrictive skill point and skill tree system.  I am also in a 10 man tribe, and found it too hard to get things done because we too, also only have 4 very active players, but I am the most active, and I cannot stand having progress stop, just because the person to craft foundations is not online, or the person to craft tools, or guns, etc...are not online.