Darkintellect

Fix for PvE ship sinking griefers

There seems to be a number of people going around standing on ships while other players, typically from their same company, are dropping metal or wood at their feet. They pick it up and since there's no limitation to pickup weight they can do this until at 10-40k lbs. They eventually get to the threshold and sink the ship, then harvest said ships.

The quick fix is to prevent "anchored ships" from registering overweight. There's no purpose to the weight issues for anchored ships anyway seeing as it's only for the purpose of traveling. If said ship comes off anchor and are still overweight, the damage begins. 

Let me know what you think.

• Like 2

That could be an issue in deep water since you can't anchor in the deeps. Where my ship is I had to drive super close to the shore because the drop off is so sudden.

I just think, at least in PvE, that either players who aren't a part of the company the ship is shouldn't count toward the weight limit or weight should only count for containers in a ship, and set a limit to the amount people can carry.

I feel like the newly opened access for anyone to be able to salvage a sunk ship has increased the desire to sink ships for loot. Not that this wasn't happening before, but now they get the benefit from griefing. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Murreth said:

I just think, at least in PvE, that either players who aren't a part of the company the ship is shouldn't count toward the weight limit or weight should only count for containers in a ship, and set a limit to the amount people can carry.

This is the real issue that needs to be fixed.

• Like 3

It was just yesterday I had 3 Chinese boats raming my schooner intentionally and standing on them trying to sink it.  This Chinese plague needs to be dealt with on the servers. 

Edited by Retarded Bird
  • Like 1

While I haven't read the actually thread, I understand that it's a problem 'they plan to fix'. With that said, I have a hard time seeing them banning people. I don't see a method for us to report in game griefing, and I certainly don't feel like they are the type of people to move quickly to change, what is becoming a growing number of people reporting the same issue over and over!

11 minutes ago, Maar said:

While I haven't read the actually thread, I understand that it's a problem 'they plan to fix'. With that said, I have a hard time seeing them banning people. I don't see a method for us to report in game griefing, and I certainly don't feel like they are the type of people to move quickly to change, what is becoming a growing number of people reporting the same issue over and over!

Oh, I'm pretty sure they won't ban people.  It's stupid really, because it would be a win-win.  We get rid of a lot of the griefers, and the stubborn ones keep buying another game to get back in.

I just like to propose the solution because the apologists keep saying they are so busy fixing the performance and the bugs and etc. etc. etc... well, banning is a no-code solution.  It hardly requires a damn thing.

"Planning to fix" it makes me laugh, if you look at what's being worked on in the patch list.  There's some pretty screwed up priorities there.

Totally agree Winter Thorne!

I almost feel like making a thread where people can just add their names to a list. A petition if you will. I haven't counted the number of posts, but I'm sure others can attest to the frequent amount of posts regarding this issue. 

Fix weight griefing 2019!

• Like 1

Hi, 

Today my raft was sunk, i don't know if it was by a griefer, but i don't see other reason for an anchored ship to sunk.

Its just a raft and i have others boats à schooner, i built all myself in 2 days and a sloop and i can accept to lose it when I sail but not against a stupid and senseless life kid who take only pleasure to ruin the gaming experience of others.

I choose pve server because i work all day and have a family life like, i think  others peoples on pve who can't be permanently on the game and my only time when I can relax and play i'm afraid to see my ship sunk by an idiot who can't respect others and have fairplay.

I can't rebuild a ship all time because isn't fun to farm like hell to see my work disappear when i'm offline.

So, devs, i really hope you will do something about that because if you dont you will lose lot of players and in 1 or 2 months the griefers will leave to spread their toxicity on another game and Atlas, a game with a great potential will die.

Any other game would have had this griefing fixed by now. I'm deeply disappointed at the dev team for allowing this to drag on for so long. Millions of cumulative hours have been lost to mean spirited players on PVE servers. This never should have even been a thing.

• Like 1

Personally, for PvE AND PvP, it should be impossible to sink a ship by weighing a person down. I defies logic that a person could hold over a tonne and not be crushed.

Frankly, I'd like to see people start DYING if they start holding that much weight, and items that are dropped on a ship not count for weight when docked. You DO need a weight system so that people aren't holding EVERYTHING safely on their ship without consequence. That mechanic would make ships the ultimate 'vault'. You'd see people building a Galleon, and never moving it.

That said, I DO support the idea of weight only counting if you're part of the Company; as long as there's NO weight-stacking enemy inventories after they are dead (an exploit that would allow them to drag a body to their own ship, and weigh it down).

FURTHERMORE, there needs to be a 'warning' and a 'log' of any person boarding your ship who's not in your company. This isn't hard to implement. Once in the 'zone' of your hull, your screen shows a warning (similar to when they're trying to take your flag). If such a thing is implemented, it's easier to see who is griefing (catching them in the act with screenshots), and further disciplinary action/game updates can occur as a result of showing the devs exactly what's going on in the game so this sort of thing stops quickly - BEFORE everyone leaves the game as a result of inaction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The simplest quick fix would be to not allow yo to carry more then say 20% of you max weight, no matter what. You can't pick up anything from the ground. That would fix one version of the exploit griefers.

I lost 4 boats. 2 sloops and 2 schooners. Every time I build a boat, the same players keep finding ways to sink my anchored ship in PVE. I quit and left a negative review on steam until this is fixed. Tired of having my progress wiped with no comment or acknowledgement at all about the issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sora said:

I lost 4 boats. 2 sloops and 2 schooners. Every time I build a boat, the same players keep finding ways to sink my anchored ship in PVE. I quit and left a negative review on steam until this is fixed. Tired of having my progress wiped with no comment or acknowledgement at all about the issue.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/834910/discussions/0/1742230617619089596/#c1742230617619196376

Jesse Rapczak  [developer] Jan 7 @ 12:51am 

Griefing is not encouraged on PvE, of course. And we are well aware of this issue, it will be addressed!

Same problem here, 2 idiots came in our sloop, sink it and salvage and they were ready to go with glider on our schooner and brigantine.

Fix this asap, its more important than adding ability to draw tatoos on our characters...

The best and most easy thing is to make ships that are docked/anchored not take dmg from over weight or over crew limit. That way you can't grief a docked/anchored boat. Problem solved.

Exactly, if u cant move (cause there is the anchor)  you dont need to penalize the fact that the ship is full of weight.

Its boring to have to fight & defends our hours of farming against idiots in a PVE server.

And let us lock all the ladders from ships, including the emergency one 🙂

Edited by Loop

On 1/8/2019 at 2:18 PM, Stabby said:

Any other game would have had this griefing fixed by now. I'm deeply disappointed at the dev team for allowing this to drag on for so long. Millions of cumulative hours have been lost to mean spirited players on PVE servers. This never should have even been a thing.

You obviously have never played many games when they first are released be it a full triple-A title or an alpha state, there are ALWAYS exploits and bugs, the ability to fix said bugs and exploits is ultimately triaged into tiers of priority. An issue causing clients to crash for example takes priority to fix over sinking ship exploits just as those take priority to fix over graphical issues that make reds look orange. In the case of Atlas, it IS playable but very harshly playable. It has a fair bit more stability issues than most other alpha state games. The question of if they should or shouldn't have released this early is irrelevant, the problems exist and so we can wait patiently and continue to report them, OR get mad and post about them, I prefer the more productive of the two.

All that being said, probably the best solution I can think is a multifacet response. First, make all external company members who board your ship exert 1kg weight regardless of what they carry. Second, set an increased decay rate on ALL items in said player's inventory to take 200% decay/durability loss. Why do this? It should be obvious, to prevent legit players who are often victims from dropping a member of their company in order to haul 5000 weight for a value of 1. However, the intruding player would still retain weight penalty for all the stuff they carry, it just would not be exerted on the ship. Last, reduce ALL items weight that are just sitting out dropped to 0, those items are going to decay anyway, no reason to add them to the ship's weight. Placing a better decay timer on the items so as to remember the last amount of time remaining would also prevent players from dropping stuff, leaving it to near 0, picking up and dropping so as to essentially register 0 weight indefinitely. If the item was at 0:34 when picked up but started at 2:00, it would still be 0:34 when dropped again. 

I think all those changes would help solve this issue while also solving some other inventory workarounds off ships too.

Ive played a lot of games at release. Star Trek Online, Champions Online, Warhammer online, ESO, Archage, SWTOR... etc...  EVERY TIME there are issues at the start. People cant get in, game wrecking bugs and exploits and what I find funny is that every time, people act like its the ONLY game in the world to have any issues! My what bad memories gamers have.

Its an EA. Stuff is gonna get lost. Hours are gonna be wasted. You accepted that when you bought the game. Yes push for fixes, but don't act surprised when you need report things in a beta test.

• Like 1

My idea for PvE servers is to only make the ship immovable if it is overweight or overburdened by bodies by people outside of your company or alliance. If they are within your company or alliance, it should sink. But if not company or alliance, they should only immobilize, not sink.