Sign in to follow this  
Insegt

Backing up a ship

Ever found yourself in a stuck situation? You anchored in a bay, enough water beneath your keel and when you wanted to leave, your vessel stopped turning?

Well, that happened, to us. There is enough depth, but the game considers the opposite. In such cases one would simply back up a little with turning all sails full against the wind.... 

Oops, wait, there was this update that stated sailing against the wind is adequate to 30% forward propulsion. Ok, it's a game and not everybody enjoys sailing or understands to cross the winds. 

BUT, dear Grapeshot, did you forget your map design while coming to this decision? Did you forget, that not any other mechanic is not implemented that might help with this. Why, does the cargo load not effect the displacement? Why can't we ballast to gain less displacement? Why can't we attach a Dinghy to pull the Vessel a little? Where is this NPC that calls out the depth - preferedly in fathoms? Where is the true indication of windspeed? Yes, there is some swell. Yes, it might indicate the strength, but it's not reflecting it's true speed. So, where is the logging? 

Honestly guys, just putting in some vessels - which by the way are classified wrong - and not giving us the methods to use them, like they are supposed to be used, is not really frustrating, it's more like you, Grapeshot, didn't think the whole thing through.

Ok, one could say, one ought to take better care, true, but how to take better care when the whole server lags every time you get close to an island, any island? Claims on land like there is no tomorrow, claims at sea - "Yes, this Tuna belongs to me, it's my personnel property and I will tax it with 30%" - and thos are no shelve waters. It's more like Atlantic Depth suddenly meets the Watt of the North Sea.  Nope, it might be inspired by the Caribbean or even Mediterranean, but it sure ain't like that.

So, how do I get my "Brigantine" out of that situation? Any suggestions, except build a new one. 

• Like 1

Aye, the 30% forward speed even directly against the wind was... ok... I suppose, although tacking was still faster in the long run.  However, at the expense of not bing able to turn properly now  I wish they'd revert back to the old system.  I see quite a lot of Rafts and so forth stuck against people's shipyards, wedged in against the buttresses to snugly they'll never, ever move again.

On the sail's radial wheel, 180° should be set to move the boat back slowly, to to sort of simulate being pushed with boathooks or being towed.  Not realistic, but it's a game, not a simulation.

30 minutes ago, Insegt said:

Ever found yourself in a stuck situation? You anchored in a bay, enough water beneath your keel and when you wanted to leave, your vessel stopped turning?

Well, that happened, to us. There is enough depth, but the game considers the opposite. In such cases one would simply back up a little with turning all sails full against the wind.... 

Oops, wait, there was this update that stated sailing against the wind is adequate to 30% forward propulsion. Ok, it's a game and not everybody enjoys sailing or understands to cross the winds. 

BUT, dear Grapeshot, did you forget your map design while coming to this decision? Did you forget, that not any other mechanic is not implemented that might help with this. Why, does the cargo load not effect the displacement? Why can't we ballast to gain less displacement? Why can't we attach a Dinghy to pull the Vessel a little? Where is this NPC that calls out the depth - preferedly in fathoms? Where is the true indication of windspeed? Yes, there is some swell. Yes, it might indicate the strength, but it's not reflecting it's true speed. So, where is the logging? 

Honestly guys, just putting in some vessels - which by the way are classified wrong - and not giving us the methods to use them, like they are supposed to be used, is not really frustrating, it's more like you, Grapeshot, didn't think the whole thing through.

Ok, one could say, one ought to take better care, true, but how to take better care when the whole server lags every time you get close to an island, any island? Claims on land like there is no tomorrow, claims at sea - "Yes, this Tuna belongs to me, it's my personnel property and I will tax it with 30%" - and thos are no shelve waters. It's more like Atlantic Depth suddenly meets the Watt of the North Sea.  Nope, it might be inspired by the Caribbean or even Mediterranean, but it sure ain't like that.

So, how do I get my "Brigantine" out of that situation? Any suggestions, except build a new one. 

We used a dinghy and pushed a schooner outta shallows. 

They should make an old school poking stick you use to move your ship away from shore. Would also help with setting up docks and turning ships around that way.

500_F_153956393_xjJvN490gCvmbMOjQSP12ICN

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Case of the Scurvy said:

We used a dinghy and pushed a schooner outta shallows. 

Great when it works, but usually you rather need to pull than push. This mechanic actually needs to be implemented. We just got it  out. Don't ask me how, I have absolutely no explain how this worked, ecept, either we bug us through there or the ship gets destroyed. Guess, bugging through worked, this time.

Just now, gadefence said:

They should make an old school poking stick you use to move your ship away from shore. Would also help with setting up docks and turning ships around that way.

500_F_153956393_xjJvN490gCvmbMOjQSP12ICN

Those Boathooks are still used today. And yes they still work. Btw, who said a sloop, no matter if Bermuda, Kutter or Yacht, had such an anchor? And that astern? Just came to mind......

You can back up a ship by holding S while the sails are up. It's really slow, but it works.

Edited by Acemore
  • Like 1

They should make it so you're able to use the grapple hook to pull or tow your ship.

Actually... Has anyone tried using a grapple hook to pull or tow a ship?

Edited by Poot Pootington
  • Like 2

As said earlier, you can move the ship around using the standard movement keys while the sails are up.  Turning and backing up can easily be accomplished, even with the wind mechanics changing.  If you have NPC crew members on try removing them from the sails, some people on our boats have had issues moving backwards with them.  It is slow but possible. 

Maybe turn during a storm? I don't know if the game looks at the larger waves as deeper water or not, But it does throw around a dingy. So just maybe it could be considered high tied during a wave? At least enough to turn around.

Maybe it wont work but that's my only idea.

The 'S' key didn't work. At least not with a crewed vessel. There actuallly was a storm, that brought us deeper into it. The vessel started turning and the aft got  caught by a bank. 

About slow backing: The slower the better. Those ships weren't built with having a fast reverse speed in mind. And you simply need it for maneuvering. There have to be more option implemented. Like a friend of mine stated: They probably just designed some ships, got a water shader and the core water physics and threw it into the game without getting any advice, if this could lead to some undesired situations.