why do I have to claim territory to be able to build anything other than the raft I get from the shipmaster, I cant claim anything because its all been taken so what do I do now I played ark and I could find some land that no one had built but here its all taken and I cant find any land big enough to put a claim flag

You can build in Lawless zones without a claim flag (since you can't claim in Lawless).

2 minutes ago, Devlin said:

You can build in Lawless zones without a claim flag (since you can't claim in Lawless).

I'm in a lawless zone and it says you cant build because you don't have a claim flag

I went to a lawless zone because that's what other people said to do

That shouldn't be happening, then. The only error you should be getting that prevents normal placement is that you're building too close to an enemy gate or foundation. What zone are you in?

3 minutes ago, Devlin said:

That shouldn't be happening, then. The only error you should be getting that prevents normal placement is that you're building too close to an enemy gate or foundation. What zone are you in?

O10

Yeah that's strange then. I have no idea why that message would be popping up.

just wait till the v10 patch and settle on someone's island, the should welcome you if they have basic math skills.