Captain Jack Shadow

What are your 3 biggest issues with the game?

Don't nerf the crap out of PvE servers, because on PvP servers a tamed wolf looks to be OP.  Divide PvP and PvE if needs be.  Right now, tames are a taxing QoL thing in PvE, there is no PvP going on so, lets start balancing things against server type.  Flame arrows to.  Who cares about the player damage on a PvE server, there is no PvP on a PvE server so stop nerfing PvE gameplay to balance something that doesn't exist on a PvE server!

Wild animals shouldn't spawn in the middle of your base.  Yesterday I was building and I saw an alpha rattlesnake fall out of the sky and immediately attack and kill a tamed 24 wolf in an enclosure.

There are some serious questions of logic afoot.

1-  Exploits and griefing issues, especially in pve

2.  Land claim system is nuts, needs restricting, especially in pve.  Also needs tiers of organization where smaller groups can band together to make towns.

3.  Aggressive creature overpopulation and destruction of ships and buildings

• Like 1

1. The game rewards sedentary behaviour. You win if you spend more time in game and on your ass than your opponent.

2. The 5 small steps forward, one giant leap backward design philosophy, everything in this game is: +1 +1 +1 +1 +1, -5, +1 +1 +1 +1 +1, -5

3. Lack of permanence in anything but levels (and even they look to be aged later) 

Game is enjoyable to start with but without some dopamine hits people will start to look elsewhere.

1. Age mechanic : Takes away cosmetic options, kills your character. Doesn't need to be in the game, and only takes away.

2. Claim mechanic : Honestly.. I just think every island should follow the lawless structure; where you can build anywhere you want; save claiming for ships only.

3. Ships of the damned : They aesthetically don't fit the game; they look like giant modern day speedboats with an edgelord Halloween makeover. They're too static looking. There are still TOO MANY. They should be rare and scary, not abundant.

1. Cheaters using 3rd party software (aimbot, ESP, stat changer are the ones abused the most).

2. Cheaters abusing duping bugs (lol I see the aimbotter from the server next door constantly logging in and out of my server, we know what you’re up to...

3. Large walls - the most uncreative, unaesthetic structure in the game. Just spam it around an island and new spawns can no longer land on your island. It’s just plain ugly and disproportionate with everything else.

i dont care about offline protection because the framework is there to do it with NPCs and machineguns/cannons. I’m sure the devs will tweak things so there is a raid/defense balance in the future. Again, the frame work is in place, just needs balance.

would be cool to see NPCs use the carbines

My main issues are:

1. Server stability/performance - When you need to account for the actions of you or the monsters you are fighting up to 1-4 seconds, the servers aren't working as they should be. What really rustles my jimmies is that they boasted about being able to have up to 40,000 players at a time, even going so far as to creating Hurricanes (A way to scatter all 40,000 from the area to prevent server issues), but at the moment, the servers can't handle more then 50 players per grid server. Plus it shoehorns players into playing a specific way. I can't use melee combat in this lag effectively and must resort to ranged weaponry most of the time. I should be able to dodge and weave as the game allows, but the timings are impossible to hit because of the server issues.

2. Consistent crashing - As I write this post, I logged into Atlas, and Alt-Tab'd. I was inside a house I built, not moving and no fire active. It crashed. They are so sever that there is, what feels like, a 50% chance that when I zone from one grid to another, I will crash. One of these crashes has lead to my game being glitched, without any solution of any kind. I can no longer use the bed on my ship. It thinks its in a different zone, and when I respawn, it will not allow me to choose my ship. I must respawn at a freeport, and effectively start all over again. 

3. Exploration - I get it. This game is meant to be played with people. It's why ships take so many resources to build, why gathered materials weigh so much, why ships/soldiers of the damned ambush you, why reloading firearms takes so long, why all of your tools have low durability. I get it, but when one of the built in game mechanics is about discovery of new locations, then there needs to be a limit of some kind. I can't step foot on an island without the predators from each corner of the map are some how alerted to my presence. The amount of damage they can deal per attack, and how quickly they dish it out feels unfair. If you are using a sword and shield, you don't even have time to lower your guard to attack. If I were to equate this Fighting game mechanics, it would be that there is too many block stun frames, too many hit recovery frames, and too much startup frames. Even if I am somehow lucky enough to survive an encounter with any one of the extremely hyper aggressive predators, there is a likely chance they there is another one already charging at me.

Edited by Larger

1- Very easy crafting. No proud in build anything. No survival mechanics working. Make sailing easier, no need to learn how use the wind.

2- NPC crew for sailing. No sailing with Friends take away a Lot from the gane.

3- cheats and bug exploits

16 hours ago, Computer1633 said:

1. The hacking/glitching is by far my biggest complaint to date. I was forced to move to a PvE server just to experience the game and still several times I have stood by and watched while someone glitches into my house, empties out a pin coded chest onto the floor, and glitches back out with whatever they found valuable enough to keep.

2. The sailing nerf needs to be reverted! If you sail directly into the wind it should be 0% forward movement. People need to learn to sail with the wind or go on an adventure and see where the wind takes you.

3. My third issue is with the dev team. I feel like every patch over the last week has been designed to shift the game into easy mode to please the whiny players who lack skill and streamers. This has significantly decreased the level of overall fun this game provides and they need to pull a 180 for the long term enjoyment of this game.

The devs making things easier is what has to happen in order for the game to survive long term.  Otherwise, it becomes boring.   Games have to have a small population of the true "hardcore" players.  However, for it to thrive you need the casual players who have school/jobs/lives.  You need the "basement dwellers with no lives"  You need the "PVE players" etc.   What happens with these "hardcore" games is the population that actually want this in a game is so small that it forces other non hardcore players out of the game.  Once this happens, the hardcore players now slowly get bored and leave causing others to leave and it becomes a ripple effect. 

The game will always add more players as people will stop playing, come back after patches etc to see it again.  But if its to hard, it will fail.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Aztek said:

The devs making things easier is what has to happen in order for the game to survive long term.  Otherwise, it becomes boring.   Games have to have a small population of the true "hardcore" players.  However, for it to thrive you need the casual players who have school/jobs/lives.  You need the "basement dwellers with no lives"  You need the "PVE players" etc.   What happens with these "hardcore" games is the population that actually want this in a game is so small that it forces other non hardcore players out of the game.  Once this happens, the hardcore players now slowly get bored and leave causing others to leave and it becomes a ripple effect. 

The game will always add more players as people will stop playing, come back after patches etc to see it again.  But if its to hard, it will fail.  

I wouldn't waste my breath arguing with the "I want hardmode for everybody!" players, they're convinced that video games are serious business and making things tedious or obnoxious is somehow impressive and challenging. It must be nice to have all the time in the world to play games but some of us don't have that luxury. 

What the devs really need to do is make a hardmode server where they can all go and congratulate themselves on how great they are at hardmode and the rest of us can have a fun game we can play when we have the time. 

1: Weight bug: Frankly while not making the game unplayable for me, it is for my friends with limited playtime. I would consider this a real priority issue to fix and should happen within days of it being known about, this has failed to happen. Addtionally lack of any form of punishment for those exploiting these and other bugs. A few 2 month bans being spread about would do much to alleviate the problem happening before a fix is in. No way to even report this.

2: Catering to differant playstyles: I have a job, I don't need another thanks. I shouldn't have to join some mega tribe in this game in order to play on a PvP server. Even if they are likely to have me, I want to play with my mates. They are unlikely to want people with very limited playtime and my friends are not likely to be wanting to follow some megatribes agenda when they are on. Summary words: Small tribe + Small alliance servers, dedicated server support/co-op mode, ability to have effective offline protection for your base/harbor wether that be in the form of access to improved auto defenses, vulnerability hours or some combination.

3: General community: Generally it's not like it used to be (straightens rose tinted specs... but really, there wasn't quite so many bellends around before), I have thick skin but it's not about that... it's more I don't hang around a bunch of twats. The twatometre on this game buries the needle. Clean your flipping house.

4: An added one is the claim system, people can claim far, far, far too much land. A solo player should be able to claim enough land to make a small base on and tribes would get that times the total number of players with diminishing returns, as the bigger you get the less actual space you need. Perhaps have differant type of claim flags, primary which has a hell of a long takeover time, and secondary which is easier to take. Primary for your base building spot, secondary for securing some (but not too much) resources.

Tech issues I can handle at the moment: lag, server instability, bugs with skills that make them unusable. It's early access after all, I only expect exploitable bugs that can be used to grief people out of the game to be fixed with the upmost priority. Frankly I'd rather they took the servers down with the few of the current exploits and just went "fook you it's EA you knew what you signed up for, it'll be up again when we've fixed that shiz" then let people abuse those exploits to their profit and others loss with no consequence.

Lack of content I can handle at the moment, it's in EA and that will come.

the vitamin system is just not fun and not worth even doing , worst game play mechanic and it detracts from enjoyable game play killing yourself every 60 minutes just to keep playing.

eating should sustain you period.

1. No Claim-able land. Next patch might help with this.

2. Aggressive npcs out of control all over islands.

3. Can't tame crocs.

39 minutes ago, Not Happy said:

1: Weight bug: Frankly while not making the game unplayable for me, it is for my friends with limited playtime. I would consider this a real priority issue to fix and should happen within days of it being known about, this has failed to happen. Addtionally lack of any form of punishment for those exploiting these and other bugs. A few 2 month bans being spread about would do much to alleviate the problem happening before a fix is in. No way to even report this.

Yeah I'd actually change my original list to include the weight exploit.

Hadn't been hit by it yet but someone sank our Schooner last night in PvE while we were offline. Its complete BS and should have been a priority, immediate fix. There is no excuse for such a nasty exploit to linger for days when a short term fix is so easy (weight doesn't sink ships, only stops them from moving) and it has pretty much brought our playing to a halt. We have a Brig and what was suppose to be a backup Schooner almost ready to go but I won't launch them until this is fixed, which means we're pretty much not playing. 

Just now, MaxPower said:

Yeah I'd actually change my original list to include the weight exploit.

Hadn't been hit by it yet but someone sank our Schooner last night in PvE while we were offline. Its complete BS and should have been a priority, immediate fix. There is no excuse for such a nasty exploit to linger for days when a short term fix is so easy (weight doesn't sink ships, only stops them from moving) and it has pretty much brought our playing to a halt. We have a Brig and what was suppose to be a backup Schooner almost ready to go but I won't launch them until this is fixed, which means we're pretty much not playing. 

Exactly, frankly I run around for hours doing all the boring stuff so when my time challenged friends log on they can do something at least semi fun.

Despite my best efforts, all that can be ruined in a couple of minutes in what should have been a safe port by game design.

1. Claimed flags

2. Ship spam because of low resources needed

3. Ship sinking exploits, even though I haven’t been a victim of one, I hate it for the people that are. 

1. Offline raiding/sieging (no one is going to play a game when they lose all their hard work during an 8-hour rest.
  2. Chinese exploiters/cheaters
  3. Creatures sinking ships while offline

Aside from the lag, my biggest issue far and away relates to the company/alliance system as detailed here: 

19 hours ago, Dash said:

1.  PVE feels like PVP!  Ships we work so hard for are being sunk by others everyday because of exploits. They should make them encumbered to the point they will not move if overloaded (I understand the Devs not wanting us to farm everything in one trip).  This will probably be the number one reason PVE servers will die if its not fixed ASAP. 

2. Claim Flags. What ever is causing Claim flags to overlap with active claim areas needs to be fixed. When 5 of us are sleeping next to our flag and wake up the next morning to find  half of my claim with our main building owned by someone else. PVE should not be like this. 

3. Alphas need to be reduced/nerfed ASAP. They instantly kill your tames. No point in having tames  when an Alpha Lion/Wolf jump out of nowhere and instantly kill your tames!

This

1) Abusive toxic brats spouting hate and bigotry without any adult supervision!

2) Blatant Cheating and exploits!

3) Developers who seem okay to let such a toxic environment fester!!!

• Like 2

1. Implement some kind of trade mechanic

2. buggy animals (all the things aforementioned)

3. put pin codes on more things we make

4. server stability

5. Less work on Taming Skill Tab, are we pirates or animal handlers?  I"m confused.

I have a brand new complaint.  Just built a sloop.  Sailed about 500 yards out of the dock, and I was killed by TWO crocks that can apparently kill you through the hull.

What the hell is this?  Redundant sloop.  back on land twiddling our thumbs.  Does the schooner have the same issue?

Edited by Vorxius

4 minutes ago, Vorxius said:

I have a brand new complaint.  Just built a sloop.  Sailed about 500 yards out of the dock, and I was killed by TWO crocks that can apparently kill you through the hull.

What the hell is this?  Redundant sloop.  back on land twiddling our thumbs.  Does the clipper have the same issue?

I think this has been mentioned, if not in this thread then in other threads, but still a very valid complaint. I've had this happen to a crew mate on a ship I was on. I think they also lost their inventory when this happened too. This is similar to the complaint that wild animals can attack through base walls. I think they are slowing the swim speed of crocs in the 10.0 update, so that will help some with this problem.

Edited by wildbill
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, wildbill said:

I think this has been mentioned, if not in this thread then in other threads, but still a very valid complaint. I've had this happen to a crew mate on a ship I was on. I think they also lost their inventory when this happened too. This is similar to the complaint that wild animals can attack through base walls. I think they are slowing the swim speed of crocs in the 10.0 update, so that will help some with this problem.

What an annoying 'feature' for sure.  Any ideas if the schooner has the same issue?  It could be that the sloop is quite low in the water, and crocks are rather large.. their collision box seems to start at their eyes, which leaves the full nose and mouth able to phase through solid matter.  Where their actual attack box is anywhere around their nose!  Crikey.

Schooner seems a lot larger, so may be more resistant to this kind of boffoonism.  Hope they do fix this asap.  Not sure aswim speed tweak would fix the phasing though....