Captain Jack Shadow

What are your 3 biggest issues with the game?

I will lead off.

1. No ability to protect an expensive ship while it is in your port.  AI defenses are not likely to offer any real resistance, if implemented, as evidenced by ARK's turrets not stopping anybody.
  2. Alpha creatures everywhere.  In ARK, you could avoid them.  In Atlas, they make using tames pointless as the life expectancy of tames is zero if an Alpha targets them, even if you have a pack.
  3. The lack of real PvP in a game like this.  Raids are almost always to the advantage of the attacker, as they schedule it, and their people show up, while the defenders are offline, or only a few online when the attack takes place.  Would like to see something like having to declare war, so that the other side knows the attack is coming, and thus can provide a better defense.  More challenging for the attacker.  Even when watching videos of ARK or Atlas, I only find them enjoyable to watch, if the defenders were well prepared, otherwise it's totally boring.

I am interested in seeing your lists.  And we can vote on lists we like, even if not our own personal top concerns.
  • Like 1

Funny I have none of those issues with the game.  All of those are good things to me.  

1- Server stability... the servers are better, but still pretty spotty when they get loaded.

2- System optimization.  The game has memory leaks, and major performance issue that really hurt the game overall.

3- The new wind/sailing nerf.  30% into the wind bonus.... NO... NO...NO!!!!   Learn To Sail!!

I would also like to see other hull options. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1.The fact that animals can damage you through structures. The has caused my wife and I to stop playing, Three ships crafted and stocked only to be lost to crocs that spawned camped us till we gave up.

2. The equip delay on your tool belt. Server admins should have the ability to turn this off via config.

3, Animal over spawn everywhere. You have no time to breathe in aggressive areas.

Edited by Frekton
words....
  • Like 2

The claiming land problem, we play on PvE and are a group of 10 people but have only a really small island, we cant find a bigger one because theyre all claimed and mostly by smaller groups.

Ive a 2700X Ryzen 7, RX470, 16Gb 3200Mghz Ram, but the game runs so poorly on my computer, i plan to buy the 2060RTX but still friends with the 1070 and even better grafikcards complain about bad FPS and drops. The Performance of the Game is horrible.

In my opinion there is to many players allowed on the servers or the land and see is not big enough, how ever you want to see it, but you cant travel 100m without meeting someone, thats to much, in my opinion it should be either more space or less players on the servers.

Glitches, there is so many, we have one that makes you drop from the ship while youre sailing, whole ship has to stop and get the man back on board again.
Today i wasnt able to use the glider, it constantly dropped me down, sometimes it worked sometimes not. A crocodile bitting into a shooner ship, some one who was inside of the ship got attacked from outside, they just attack you through the walls. Etc. there is so many bugs and glitches right now.

• Like 1

1. Predators are everywhere, respawn all very quickly (the same is for passive creatures too except they don't bite atleast..., but the amount of animals in general is too much) and they deal massive damage, knockback, attack speed, they are faster than player some and they bite stuff thro walls, their ai also sucks.

2. Ships are squishy and it seems devs want them to stay squishy looking at the patch 10 reducing their prices.

3. Tons of exploits leading to being scared for land and ships and whatever.

• Like 1

1.) Cheat Protection, Atlas needs it desperately. EAC/Battle Eye, anything to help really.

2.) Oceanic servers to help encourage CN/AU/East Asia players to play there instead of NA.

3.) Company Limit of total number of buildings being put down or some sort of restriction system on building, atm its just out of control just spam of buildings pretty much anywhere you can put them. Especially large stone gates and foundations. 

If the above doesn't get fixed game will drop off pretty quick. Hopefully the community servers can pick up the slack with strict moderation and aggressive banning. 

Edited by Slovic
  • Like 4

1. The hacking/glitching is by far my biggest complaint to date. I was forced to move to a PvE server just to experience the game and still several times I have stood by and watched while someone glitches into my house, empties out a pin coded chest onto the floor, and glitches back out with whatever they found valuable enough to keep.

2. The sailing nerf needs to be reverted! If you sail directly into the wind it should be 0% forward movement. People need to learn to sail with the wind or go on an adventure and see where the wind takes you.

3. My third issue is with the dev team. I feel like every patch over the last week has been designed to shift the game into easy mode to please the whiny players who lack skill and streamers. This has significantly decreased the level of overall fun this game provides and they need to pull a 180 for the long term enjoyment of this game.

• Like 2

1)  Everything you make should be auto-locked on creation and be able to be pin-coded.

2)  Armour and melee weaponry need to be useful

3)  Weight exploit on ships needs fixing NOW. Just make them too heavy to move as a temporary fix, not take damage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1. Crocs (and predators in general) attacking through structures, predator AI in general for that matter is basically indistinguishable from a zombie game in terms of aggression, relentlessness and mindless behaviour.

2. Predator spawn rates Vs toughness in general; the game throws mobs at you like it's a conventional MMO, but the game plays like a survival sandbox, the two are incongruous with one another.

3. Weight exploit needs to be fixed ASAP, this is only going to get worse as word spreads.

Edited by RyuujinZERO
  • Like 4

I find it hard to nail down the three biggest issues I have with Atlas. There are a lot of little things that are driving me nuts right now but they're all pretty much in the slight/moderate annoyance category. Beyond that my top three would probably be: 

1. A lack of things to do in PvE. I get that the game is based around PvP but if you're going to have PvE servers, you need PvE content (such content can also make the PvP server experience better). I'm already starting to hit the point where its getting hard to come up with things to do... you can only do the same exact treasure map fight, battle the same SotD or gather resources for so long before it gets boring. More NPC ships to battle with, including ships that can be boarded, would be a good start as would an expanded treasure map system with different encounters when trying to dig up treasures. So sort of quests as well as an NPC faction system could also be cool.  

2. The claim system, especially in PvE. I've basically setup shop in lawless and have no plans to leave due to the way claims work. I don't have a desire to steal someone's claim in PvE and don't want to worry about defending a claim in PvE. If I wanted that, I'd play more PvP. The very fact that there is a leaderboard for captured territory in PvE is mind blowing in my opinion. Claims in PvE should be limited to one per person and a handful per company and should expire if people don't long in like the decay in Lawless/Ark. Period.

It would help if there were more islands added to increase the potential claimable land. I know, its about ships and sailing and blah blah blah… but they could add a hundred more islands and you'd barely notice it. It'd also be nice if such islands weren't just copy paste jobs like most of the islands currently in the game.

3. Lack of offline raid protection. The reasons I'm avoiding official PvP are many but this is the primary one. As I've said before on these forums, I don't mind losing battles in PvP. That's kind of the point. What I will not deal with is having all my shit destroyed, my ships sunk and my claims taken while I'm asleep. That's just nonsense and it discourages actual PvP engagements since its so much easier to raid people that are offline than fight them while they're online. It also punishes small companies that don't have a 24 hour presence.

This is also an issue in PvE although to a lesser extent. While it hasn't happened to me, I've watched snakes tear through my neighbors house and kill them while they were offline. Who in their right mind thinks that's an acceptable experience? Same with having something happen to your ship at night while you're offline. This is a no brainer feature that should have been included from day one.    

• Like 4

1) Some solution or at least a report button for all the Cheating/Hacks/Exploits.    We were driven from O9 after building a big base because the local "Hunter" tribe is able to shoot people through walls and from further away than a mortar, and has the obvious ESP hacks as well.     You can't fight that stuff, it just breaks the game.

2) Too many situations (starving, cold, etc) where the logical answer is asking a tribemate to kill you.    Funny at first but this says some systems are overtuned and there isn't enough (any?) reason to avoid dying.

3) Server stability.    Anytime a semi-large battle breaks out we get instant server 255 pings.

• Like 1

Terrible server optimization.

No raid window timer. This is suppose to me a mmorpg. Give us a raid window timer where players can mount a defense, instead of 4am raids when everyone is asleep.

More mmorpg features. Go the route of traditional mmorpgs and less of the survival Ark/Rust genre. Sprawling npc trading hubs with npcs going about their business ect. Limit the cap to 50 if you need to per instance.

No apparent anti hacking measures in place.

Mostly stuff already mention:

1) Having to kill yourself (if you haven't died recently) to restore vitamin balance.

2) The large numbers of alphas that make taking out a tame too risky.

3) A claim system that seems to be a griefer's paradise, especially in PVE.

4) Too many aggressive spawns in some biomes.

5) An equip delay that makes no sense in PVE, but apparently there to prevent exploits in PVP.

6) All the whiny hard core players that complain with every single balance decision that the devs make.

• Thanks 1

Well for start I'm going to skip all the server problem's because I have a private cluster server and don't have any of them.

But 3 problem's I have with the game apart from the whinny one's that really don't apply because Early EA are these.

1.. Plank were is the plank what pirate ship doesn't have a plank to walk for god's sake.. Dev's make it happen.

2.. We have a great flag that we would like to, So I hung my colours up on the pirate boom to strike fear into those around and what happens  Nothing!!

No place to hang your colours (what) I have never seen a pirate movie that didn't a have 1a plank and 2  have a boom to hang your colours. Dev's make this happen !!

3. The Brigantine ..It has no wheel deck now I'm no expert but this ship appears way to big to be missing this deck you can custom build one, been there done that

but it's of course useless because the wheel goes spastic if you place it up on there also we have some stupid triangle building block instead of a 45 degree one.

• Lack off offline raid protection. People have poked holes into the Armed NPC method already. Love PVP but want it to be fair. 
  • Game Design. It honestly feels very lazy. This game needs less Ark and move Eve
  • Auto Closing Doors - yes I'm sick of having to close doors when I go through them. S+ mod spoilt me. 
  • Crocodiles able to snipe the Ship Captain directly through ship hulls. 
  • The lack of fresh water pools. I really want to explore farming but unable to do so due to lack of fresh water everywhere. There's an irrigation system, let us use it. Even if we can dig a well and pipe it up that would work.
  • The lack of rain in dry areas. I get it, it shouldn't rain, but there needs to be a semi permanent solution that players can build as a work around. Create a well for example. Tap a dig site. 
Edited by Sklex

1) the map and pve server or pvp server. this game needs both save areas, pvp areas with protection, full pvp areas. all starter island should be on the west side and the farther you move east the higher level the stuff gets and the rarer the rewards are as well as the pvp protection declines the farther east you move.

2) claim after claim no land to explore or build. let us build without a claim, most players dont need that much land just to place a shack and a shipyard, fewer but stronger contested claim areas and more free building areas. also more land in general or npc towns to settle in as well as new island where you cant build that are just for exploring.

3) hyper agressive instant respawning animals and alphas. no level scaling no balance.  it is planned to nerf tames so we have more swashbuckling pirates and less bear riders enter your ship. but when those swashbuckling pirates get eaten by hyperagressive fauna as soon as they set a foot on a shore it doesn help much. same nerf to the wild creatures and reduced number, it works very well on private servers it would be a blessing for the game. also let our attacks stun and cancle animal attacks like they do to us to make meele more of an option.

my suggestion would be to try to bring all servers together to make a giant world with starter, newbie, pve, semi-pvp, pvp areas including more island per server with free building, pure exploration or claimable islands.

Spawns around and in occupied areas.  2 alpha snakes, and an alpha wolf is too much.

Kiting an alpha down to 10%, only for it to agro a sheep kill it and regen back to 100% health.  

Relentless spawns of predators around bases

Bases swarmed by predators.

Spawn rates of predators.

I have an issue with the over zelous preds in this game.

• Thanks 1

1) Shipeating bugs (Alpha wolfes chewing on Planks ...)

2) Absurdly big Companys (500 player company for 150 player servers ...)

3) Boring af Blueprint system... we gather like a million of them just to throw them away... make good BPs rare and remove those 2x 3x 4x... nonsense

and overall PVP balance... fire spots from flame arrows still way too OP, torches best melee weapon so far (wtf),explosive barrels Cost/Efficiency-Rating is just lol compared to medium cannonballs ... 

Edited by Dayum

1.  PVE feels like PVP!  Ships we work so hard for are being sunk by others everyday because of exploits. They should make them encumbered to the point they will not move if overloaded (I understand the Devs not wanting us to farm everything in one trip).  This will probably be the number one reason PVE servers will die if its not fixed ASAP. 

2. Claim Flags. What ever is causing Claim flags to overlap with active claim areas needs to be fixed. When 5 of us are sleeping next to our flag and wake up the next morning to find  half of my claim with our main building owned by someone else. PVE should not be like this. 

3. Alphas need to be reduced/nerfed ASAP. They instantly kill your tames. No point in having tames  when an Alpha Lion/Wolf jump out of nowhere and instantly kill your tames!

• Like 2

1 - Server lag when full. Large scale PvP could be awesome if it wasn't for the fact that the servers start to fall apart from 130 to 200 players.

2 - Crocs attacking sloops / rafts. I feel like I can't do anything by myself because of this. I refuse to go out in anything other than a schooner because if an underwater croc aggros to you on the coast it will launch you off your sloop and into the water than you have to spend the next 20 minutes getting spawn camped by a croc while trying to figure out how to get your corpse back. It wouldnt be so bad if melee weapons werent useless. The other annoying thing is when crocs eat all your cannon NPCs through the bottom deck.

3 - The whole nutrient system + water. I dont know a single person who bothers with the whole "balanced diet" thing because its too much effort and you just end up having to throw away spoiled meat all the time. I think the devs need to accept that it doesnt work already because theres absolutely no penalty to dying (other than your body getting stuck under the map) so there is no reason at all to bother with nutrients when you can just stand on a campfire every time. If you don't have freshwater youre fucked because you have to rely on barrels and the water cylinder things which almost never have water and I'm not even in a desert area. I dont know how devs can look at this regularly scheduled suicide of all players and think "this is a good system".

As for the other stuff in this thread,

- I disagree with the "lack of real pvp" just today I've had some epic naval PvP. You must really not be looking very hard. "Real PvP" is everywhere.

- I dont know why complain about 30% into wind bonus. Tacking is still the best option its just not completely immobile when you need to sail directly against the wind for whatever reason.

- Yes the game is horribly optimized and you need a top tier gaming PC to run it properly but its sort of pointless to complain about because I doubt it can be fixed. 

- Offline ship protect = large gates. Though I do agree that you can never fully prevent waking up to all your shit gone. However its actually not that easy to get through stone walls, doubt anyone will waste so much resources to blow into a noob base.

- Killing alphas =  1-3 shots flame arrows aimed at floor.

Edited by MightySheep

1. Game forcing people into large companies yet the servers can't handle them (and never will).

2. Immersion-breaking ships of the damned are everywhere. I would prefer seeing more storms and less ghost ships.

3. Can't leave my ship in the nearest freeport when i don't feel like going 6+ squares back to base at 3am.

I would put no death penalty and no trade mechanics in an age of sailing mmo (wtf grapeshot?!) here but i think the first is due to aging effects not implemented yet and the latter was mentioned by someone from the devs on reddit as a planned feature.

Edited by LaiTash

4 hours ago, MightySheep said:

1 - Server lag when full. Large scale PvP could be awesome if it wasn't for the fact that the servers start to fall apart from 130 to 200 players.

2 - Crocs attacking sloops / rafts. I feel like I can't do anything by myself because of this. I refuse to go out in anything other than a schooner because if an underwater croc aggros to you on the coast it will launch you off your sloop and into the water than you have to spend the next 20 minutes getting spawn camped by a croc while trying to figure out how to get your corpse back. It wouldnt be so bad if melee weapons werent useless. The other annoying thing is when crocs eat all your cannon NPCs through the bottom deck.

3 - The whole nutrient system + water. I dont know a single person who bothers with the whole "balanced diet" thing because its too much effort and you just end up having to throw away spoiled meat all the time. I think the devs need to accept that it doesnt work already because theres absolutely no penalty to dying (other than your body getting stuck under the map) so there is no reason at all to bother with nutrients when you can just stand on a campfire every time. If you don't have freshwater youre fucked because you have to rely on barrels and the water cylinder things which almost never have water and I'm not even in a desert area. I dont know how devs can look at this regularly scheduled suicide of all players and think "this is a good system".

As for the other stuff in this thread,

- I disagree with the "lack of real pvp" just today I've had some epic naval PvP. You must really not be looking very hard. "Real PvP" is everywhere.

- I dont know why complain about 30% into wind bonus. Tacking is still the best option its just not completely immobile when you need to sail directly against the wind for whatever reason.

- Yes the game is horribly optimized and you need a top tier gaming PC to run it properly but its sort of pointless to complain about because I doubt it can be fixed. 

- Offline ship protect = large gates. Though I do agree that you can never fully prevent waking up to all your shit gone. However its actually not that easy to get through stone walls, doubt anyone will waste so much resources to blow into a noob base.

- Killing alphas =  1-3 shots flame arrows aimed at floor.

everyone of us bothers with the nutrition system , EQ buff is insane.

• Like 1

1. Claiming spam, make it so that Companies need to level up so that they can claim more land while progressing, instead of the claim land spam as it is now. The bigger Companies are still in an advantage (as it should be) but give smaller Companies a change to gain a piece of land.

2. Animal glitches,  attacking you through buildings/ships or while fighting them make it so that you can't glitch in them.

3. Offline raiding protection for bases during sleep time (say 1:00 am till 8:00 am)

4. Nerve Greek fire!!!!!!

Edited by Jlena
  • Like 1

1. Taming its hard and has no reward with this upcoming patch it will have even less off a reward to have fought down the biggest meanest lion and made him your friend, the nerf to them will have them die to lvl 1 wolves the moment you get jumped, after having fought it probably died a few times to the creature it will get you salty and not have fun. (Perhaps nerf creature vs player damage instead off nerfing their health?)

2. Alphas they are way to common and way to overpowered with little to no reward for finally managing to kill one, the nerf to tamed will make small companies have even bigger issues surviving the attacks of one and the buildings will get destroyed due to the glitchy ai.

3. Wild creature damage vs tamed creature damage /health the natures cry and natures toutch don't feel like they do anything and when you have a leveled creature tamed trained and then loose it to a wild lvl1 creature it is no longer fun and tames seem pointless.

4. Breeding if we have to have this make the babies able to survive its highly useless to breed at the moment unless you have a pack off penguins or sit and baby the animals for several hours this is a game to have fun with not a job please do not go the ark way off having people sit in a barn staring at creatures to make sure they survive, if the creature can breed on this island the baby can survive its that simple even zoo's dont sit in a pen with their baby bears having them die to heat stroke and not be able to do anything about it is hurtful to watch.

5. unsure if this point is just me not having found merchants yet or something else but make rare seeds a commodity from some merchants for unofficial servers it is very hard to have all the islands with all the potential seeds around.

6. Cooking food needs to be more valuable when cooked some recipes are to hard to craft and those you may have a chance off making are not worth the effort off dragging water to the grill constantly/ perhaps let the water pipes be connected to the grill?

7. i want to love this game and in some aspects i do the sailing is fun the risk at sea is perfect and it seems a lot better optimized than other games this big the building has improved a lot and feels nice you can make gorgeous houses and castles the six points above are just my issues with the game and things i wish would be considered for all players not just pvp players who yell the loudest, do not turn this in to wow where the rp and pve players who are more relaxed arent heard.

8. Please make these houses hollow with a door snap point maybe window snap points they are gorgeous.

20190105180427_1.jpg

Apologies for going above the three issues i have been needing to vent this some where

Edited by Ocellatusa
added apology

1 - Exploits such as sinking ships in pve

2 - Creature balance inc spawn rates and hostile mobs sinking ships while offline

3 - Content