Sign in to follow this  
Dillonboi08

Anchoring Ships

One thing that would help a lot is someway (other than swimming) to find out how deep the water is. From the deck it is very difficult to see when the water is too shallow (where you will ground out) or too deep (where you can't anchor).

Obviously, you can't anchor just anywhere, some shorelines have severe drop offs with no suitable place to anchor. Sometimes all you need to do is rotate the bow to point away from shore, this at the same time rotates the stern into the shore and allows you to anchor. I think all ships will rotate with no sail, but it is really slow. You can also press S to back up to the shore once you have the stern facing towards the shore.

Also of course, increasing the anchor range would help. Currently the larger the ship, the more anchor range. If that video was a schooner, it would require you to get closer to shore than a larger ship.

Range of anchor is super limited on sloop. So much so that I have to "almost" beach my sloop to use the anchor. I don't have to have the longest anchor in the world... just a useful one 😉

Hardest ship iI have found to anchor so far is a brig. Sloop,  schooner, and galleon ive had no probs with but that damn brig....

Edited by Dags

15 minutes ago, Maar said:

What makes the brig so hard to anchor?

Needs to be on a certian depth shelf to anchor, to far out or to close to shore it wont (need the second depth shelf to anchor it and its "funky" Haven't had the same problem with any other ship.

Edited by Dags

I've been doing some testing, But wanted to ask here instead of a new topic. Does it matter where you anchor? Like does mooring in area you control (claimed) help in anyway over just anchoring any place you can? 

Does either affect decay of the ship?

I believe if anchored in your claim they take less time damage, but could be wrong as ive never tested it and generally have npc crew repairing when ever anchored anyway.

Edited by Dags

Interesting. I'd like to know that too.. and also if anyone has an idea on decay rate in general (barring animals eating your vessel)? 

2 hours ago, Naviss said:

I've been doing some testing, But wanted to ask here instead of a new topic. Does it matter where you anchor? Like does mooring in area you control (claimed) help in anyway over just anchoring any place you can? 

Does either affect decay of the ship?

I know of a couple things so far: 1) Unanchored will decay faster, 2) Anchored in a freeport also decays faster.

• Like 1