heavenknight

Single PLayer

+1 This game deserves a singe player option once mods are out.

Mods should help configuring a worthwhile singeplayer setup.

• Like 1

Another vote for single player. The cost to run private server is very expensive right now. I really don't want to spend hundreds of hours only to have the server disappear . Single player will also allow me to use mods that are hopefully coming out like S+ (the fence building in Atlas is terrible) and the ability to erase SOD from most of the maps etc.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Apoyt said:

A lot of private servers are doing this already, and the map doesn't seem crowded by doing it either from what I've seen.

Yeah. I made a custom 1x1 by tweaking the one from cpjet64 tutorial.

Sadly on mobile internet I cannot do the NAT loopback required to actually connect to my server. I need LAN only server. So I refunded, never actually got to play. Have 0 interest in official servers. I wouldn't mind unofficial but my schedule is too crazy for a persistent world. I need a Single player mode or LAN server.

6 hours ago, WInder said:

Another vote for single player. The cost to run private server is very expensive right now. I really don't want to spend hundreds of hours only to have the server disappear . Single player will also allow me to use mods that are hopefully coming out like S+ (the fence building in Atlas is terrible) and the ability to erase SOD from most of the maps etc.

No S+ for Atlas. Orionsun did actually design the building system in Atlas, but he has stopped modding.

+1 for singleplayer as well. Maybe, if its not to much work, you could add a loading screen when we cross the border and the next grid gets loaded.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2019 at 6:12 AM, Raidr said:

+1 for singleplayer as well. Maybe, if its not to much work, you could add a loading screen when we cross the border and the next grid gets loaded.

I think the loading screen idea world be great as the server switches over.

I would have been happy with a 2x2 solo server, but it wouldn't work through LAN and that's the only way I could host. I had to refund Atlas, never even got to play.

How much player or potential player interest is there for a single player mode?

Either like Ark with the client running the server or LAN support (no port forwarding or NAT loopback needed).

• Like 1

I play ark and i love single player. This is because when i get on im not dead and have to restart every time. Why cant they do single player in Atlas because I am tired of aging 3 years every night irl and having to restart because a crocodile deystroys your raft and everything on it while sleeping. They need to add single player. And for those who say its an MMO it also says it is a SURVIVAL GAME. Survival is living on your own braving the elements and hunting not doing the same thing over again where you farm for 3 hours to get a raft and everything on it then leave and it is all gone because of a crocodile. And for those who say make your own server well I am not running a server because 1) Im not using my computer 24/7 and 2) i dont like time progressing while you are logged out. Long story short add Survival because it will please more people that are tired of Servers.
  • Like 1

The Devs seem to not care for Solo player and small groups,,,,,single player option would be great but try telling that to the Devs.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, sand man said:

The Devs seem to not care for Solo player and small groups,,,,,single player option would be great but try telling that to the Devs.

I am not even asking for a Single player mode (client is the server). Just LAN only support. Server running on either same or separate PC and connect directly over LAN.

I bought and refunded the game, cause my isp blocks the ability to run the kind of server required by Atlas. I was told by others in this community that mobile isp don't support NAT Loopback.

I can easily run Ark directly over LAN.

Now a real SP mode would be great and easier, but not really required if the devs provide LAN support with clear instructions.

+1 Really not interested in spending more cash on the game renting a server just to avoid the selfish on the official servers.

I've already had to start over three times on unofficial servers because people lose interest and the server gets shut down or whatever other reasons. We need the ability to host a 4x4 non-dedicated server/session and problem solved.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hound1ZA said:

+1 Really not interested in spending more cash on the game renting a server just to avoid the selfish on the official servers.

I've already had to start over three times on unofficial servers because people lose interest and the server gets shut down or whatever other reasons. We need the ability to host a 4x4 non-dedicated server/session and problem solved.

Yeah. Unofficials will come and go, since bigger grids are so much more expensive than just 1 server like for other games.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Lynx said:

Yeah. Unofficials will come and go, since bigger grids are so much more expensive than just 1 server like for other games.

The server requirements for Atlas are a little less than ARK, so from what I've seen, the server rental is a bit less, but of course you will normally have more servers, but still, there is a little bit of an upside. I have seen one unofficial that managed to fit in pretty much every biome in one grid. They had to go with very small islands and put some very close to each other, but it is possible to have a decent one server Atlas that isn't that expensive.

8 minutes ago, wildbill said:

The server requirements for Atlas are a little less than ARK, so from what I've seen, the server rental is a bit less, but of course you will normally have more servers, but still, there is a little bit of an upside. I have seen one unofficial that managed to fit in pretty much every biome in one grid. They had to go with very small islands and put some very close to each other, but it is possible to have a decent one server Atlas that isn't that expensive.

That's fine for an unofficial server with a small community to support it.

But I just want to play single player and have a server box that can easily run a server (but it dosen't work through LAN). I am not going to pay $10+ dollars a month to rent something I could just run from home (for free) if the devs turned on LAN connection.

35 minutes ago, Lynx said:

That's fine for an unofficial server with a small community to support it.

But I just want to play single player and have a server box that can easily run a server (but it dosen't work through LAN). I am not going to pay $10+ dollars a month to rent something I could just run from home (for free) if the devs turned on LAN connection.

Yes, I hope they add this soon (I think they will eventually, but when is the question).

I'm thinking that at the moment, they don't want to add this because they would not be able to support it. This isn't ARK. There is not just one map you can plop down onto a single grid server and start it up and you are going. Currently you must create your own grids and configure them. There is also the normal server administration that the average joe is not going to be able to do.

I wonder if a mod could be mad to do this?

Someone could create about 10 ready made maps and a mod that allows Atlas to run with a LAN connection. You install the mod, do a few configuration steps, bring up the server and it lets you select one of the maps and you have your own server running that you can log into. I don't know all the technical details here, but I suspect if this could be done someone would have done it, so probably not that simple.

There is already a 3rd party program to run the full map, 1 grid at a time for single player.

2 minutes ago, Lynx said:

There is already a 3rd party program to run the full map, 1 grid at a time for single player.

I've read about it, but there are "problems".

I've read that treasure maps come up blank for grids that are not loaded.

Also, it sounds pretty technical to run. Does it solve the LAN problem? The player still needs to be technical enough to create a map and configure it.

1 minute ago, wildbill said:

Also, it sounds pretty technical to run. Does it solve the LAN problem? The player still needs to be technical enough to create a map and configure it.

I am technical enough to run a server just fine. I bought Atlas thinking it would work the same way as Ark. Made a 1 grid test map with the map tool. Had the redis server and the 1 grid server running, only problem was I couldn't connect.  Then find out that with my mobile isp dosen't work for port forwarding, so an internet server is impossible. 

I refunded cause I couldn't actually play. All I need is LAN connectivity.

1 hour ago, Lynx said:

I am technical enough to run a server just fine. I bought Atlas thinking it would work the same way as Ark. Made a 1 grid test map with the map tool. Had the redis server and the 1 grid server running, only problem was I couldn't connect.  Then find out that with my mobile isp dosen't work for port forwarding, so an internet server is impossible. 

I refunded cause I couldn't actually play. All I need is LAN connectivity.

Ya, I was saying in general, for the average joe to play this game single player, even if they added LAN connectivity, most people could not play single player. The technical hurdles would be too much. You and I would be fine with it, but we are not the average player. I test software for a living, so can deal with technical issues. I've even considered renting my own server, just the cost and hassles are stopping me.

On 12/23/2018 at 4:09 PM, Lemur said:

I'm sorry to inform you sir but this is a mmo.

This is a sandbox survival game with a devKit, so it can be anything mod authors can dream up.

Ark was also given the MMO tag.

Hopefully the devs give us a statement on this. If they are never going to add a single player mode or allow LAN only servers, they should let us know.

I still hope for SP or LAN server support.

The only reason I even have an account here is because I bought this game thinking i could run my LAN server just like Ark. Total disappointment.

Support the addition of either a single player mode within the client or simply enabling the server to client communication to happen within a LAN. No port forwarding or NAT loopback needed.

• Like 1