MERX

Where's the DEV Kit Grapeshot?

While I would love to get hands on the dev kit, with the frequent updates and reversions to the base game, I can only imagine the frustration of working around all that as it continues post dev kit release. I know some of you don't mind that, but I would rather wait until its gets fleshed out for a while.

On 1/8/2019 at 8:38 PM, D34th said:

No shit its early access, these early games shouldnt be delayed, its not a full game yet, so its dog shit. They are too scared to bring it out because they know modders will create better and much more playable games. Atlas is trash and needed a AAA company to make this concept. 

If you don't like it, don't play it. There really is no need for you to come in here and trash the game and its dev team. It really does nothing productive. Do you feel important now that you have got that off your chest? You want a cookie and five gold stars? Maybe you should go back to Minecraft.

On 1/10/2019 at 6:15 AM, BLiNNeMaNS said:

there's that word again.. "patience".. 
that word is the reason for this entire and tons of other posts spread out over the atlas and ark forums. 

we are patient. the entire community is patient. patience is usually rewarded with a release. once a releasedate is set it becomes a promise. broken promises end in impatience. and that's where we're at. The lack of "soon", "eta", "hopefully" and/or "possibly" when a date or time is presented (in this case "end of this week") makes it a hard limit, so we're entitled to be impatient. 

the whole reason for the delays however probably has to do with too much patience internally at wildcard/grapeshot.
they set a deadline for when the coders have to send in their code so they can cook a new patch.
once that patch is tested and stable they can cook the devkit.
However, during the cooking of the patch, code that didn't make the deadline arrives, they stop the cooking process, start again, more code arrives, they restart again, then code for the new patch arrives and they decide to move the deadline so they can add it all to a bigger patch.. 
Due to all these additions, they can't cook the dev kit yet because they need time and a stable release, which will be ready the next week.. rinse, repeat

As much as I agree and disagree, I personally would rather have something released late that works than a broken frustrating editor that can't do anything except piss me off...

9 hours ago, Fractal Shard said:

Hmm I see a lot of "we'll save their game" or "we'll fix their game" A very small amount of you might (example s+ on ark and now here) but the majority of you will just be one mod in a sea of mods that don't do anything for official and only benefit unofficial. The official lovers will still rabidly play official servers and your mods do nothing for them. So your statement should not be "we'll save their game" it should be "we'll improve unofficial".

actually it's the "replayability" caused by mods on unofficial what "saves the game".. That's what they are referring to.

on the long run it'll be hard to keep custom servers up due to gridsize, so there also needs to be some sort of continuity plan for 1x1, 2x1 and 2x2 servers; 2x2 on average will be about 40 euro/dollar/whatever currency a month. Ark got this big due to the low serverprice and the huge amount of mods allowing overall customisation. 
So to actually save the game eventually i think we need some good mapmods focused on content for those 3 gridsizes.

A low poly mod/full conversion would be best of course, shrinking all models and textures to allow for bigger maps on the same tile size.
(and thereby compressing the amount of servers needed for a full grid).. i think a 2x2 resized grid can max fit a 3x3 unmodded grid in terms of land if models are 50% smaller, which also adds more water in between. Which would bring the total world grid to 10x10
*(mainly due to the increment of spawns per tile being the new bottleneck)

@S.McCowan: totally agree, just wish they'd stop posting dates and times and thereby get expectations up (in terms of "maybe this time they'll actually make it")

Edited by BLiNNeMaNS

2 hours ago, BLiNNeMaNS said:

actually it's the "replayability" caused by mods on unofficial what "saves the game".. That's what they are referring to.

on the long run it'll be hard to keep custom servers up due to gridsize, so there also needs to be some sort of continuity plan for 1x1, 2x1 and 2x2 servers; 2x2 on average will be about 40 euro/dollar/whatever currency a month. Ark got this big due to the low serverprice and the huge amount of mods allowing overall customisation. 
So to actually save the game eventually i think we need some good mapmods focused on content for those 3 gridsizes.

A low poly mod/full conversion would be best of course, shrinking all models and textures to allow for bigger maps on the same tile size.
(and thereby compressing the amount of servers needed for a full grid).. i think a 2x2 resized grid can max fit a 3x3 unmodded grid in terms of land if models are 50% smaller, which also adds more water in between. Which would bring the total world grid to 10x10
*(mainly due to the increment of spawns per tile being the new bottleneck)

@S.McCowan: totally agree, just wish they'd stop posting dates and times and thereby get expectations up (in terms of "maybe this time they'll actually make it")

Again you're improving unofficial by virtue of extending replayability not "saving the game". That is a bold statement that no modder can back up since hardly any modders mods make it into official which is the main part of the game and the only part of the game that actually matters to it's longevity.

Edited by Fractal Shard

Honestly, 3/4 of the community of games like this could give two craps for official servers...... Official servers are 100% toxic and always will be. They are on Ark, they are on Conan, they are in this game. Officials is where players who have yet to experience a good unofficial server or are a toxic player, go to play. Officials are a waste of time and resources for games like this. If they focused on just the game it'self then this game would be perfect. I understand "Officials" provide a baseline for unofficial servers, but at the same time, they are another world entirely. Grapeshot could just provide a game with a good base, then let the modding community make every players dream come true. 

As is, i love this game. I look at all the hateful comments and laugh. To be honest, this game has done great for a EA game. It's so much more then what i thought it was going to be when i bought it. You can call it Ark 2.0 all you want, i LOVE Ark, and this game is like a whole new world of Ark. There is so much possible in this world, so much potential. 

My message to you Grapeshot: Keep at it! The amount of work you guys are putting into patches is very impressive. Just one word of advice: DO NOT listen to all the "Streamers" who your supporting. Half of them don't know their head from a hole in the ground when it comes to games. Listen to your general player base! Listen to the players here supporting YOU GUYS! Hear our pleas and take some of our words to heart! After all, if you guys benefit, we benefit! It goes both ways!

• Like 1

dont expect any news til this coming week Jat had said they will be telling us about it in the next captain's log which is this coming week

4 hours ago, Bovin said:

Honestly, 3/4 of the community of games like this could give two craps for official servers...... Official servers are 100% toxic and always will be. They are on Ark, they are on Conan, they are in this game. Officials is where players who have yet to experience a good unofficial server or are a toxic player, go to play. Officials are a waste of time and resources for games like this. If they focused on just the game it'self then this game would be perfect. I understand "Officials" provide a baseline for unofficial servers, but at the same time, they are another world entirely. Grapeshot could just provide a game with a good base, then let the modding community make every players dream come true. 

As is, i love this game. I look at all the hateful comments and laugh. To be honest, this game has done great for a EA game. It's so much more then what i thought it was going to be when i bought it. You can call it Ark 2.0 all you want, i LOVE Ark, and this game is like a whole new world of Ark. There is so much possible in this world, so much potential. 

My message to you Grapeshot: Keep at it! The amount of work you guys are putting into patches is very impressive. Just one word of advice: DO NOT listen to all the "Streamers" who your supporting. Half of them don't know their head from a hole in the ground when it comes to games. Listen to your general player base! Listen to the players here supporting YOU GUYS! Hear our pleas and take some of our words to heart! After all, if you guys benefit, we benefit! It goes both ways!

Everything you said about official is pretty subjective and incredibly generalized with the "3/4ths" comment. However i do wholly agree with the 2 latter paragraphs. Cheers!

14 hours ago, Fractal Shard said:

Again you're improving unofficial by virtue of extending replayability not "saving the game". That is a bold statement that no modder can back up since hardly any modders mods make it into official which is the main part of the game and the only part of the game that actually matters to it's longevity.

What's your deal with "making it into official"? There's no modding for official.. Even s+ won't be fully integrated.
Wildcard *and probably grapeshot as well* simply hire modders who've proven themselves through modding for unofficial, who then share parts of the code of those mods (and provide support/ideas), to finetune their product. Not to fully integrate the mod.
There's not been a single mod (except for the center and ragnarok mapmods) added to ark since they added the workshop.  

Edited by BLiNNeMaNS

Agreed, and even if the mod was added to Official, guess what.....That mod just became Official and is no longer a mod anymore LOL!

I want the modkit for the ark stuff. Both games are made on udk we could import the Creatures/Weps to Atlas and forge some new islands filled with it. We got alot of possibilities for Modders to create their own MMO, as we saw: Planes, Airships, tanks and more to come. Thats a reason why some cant wait :classic_biggrin:

11 hours ago, BLiNNeMaNS said:

What's your deal with "making it into official"? There's no modding for official.. Even s+ won't be fully integrated.
Wildcard *and probably grapeshot as well* simply hire modders who've proven themselves through modding for unofficial, who then share parts of the code of those mods (and provide support/ideas), to finetune their product. Not to fully integrate the mod.
There's not been a single mod (except for the center and ragnarok mapmods) added to ark since they added the workshop.  

I never said anything about being able to mod official. I'm stating that the chances of your mod getting in are inherently small, therefore you're only improving unofficial and actually don't help official players at all. So the point is modders aren't "saving the game". Only improving the un-official branch of the game which isn't marketed to new players.

38 minutes ago, Fractal Shard said:

I never said anything about being able to mod official. I'm stating that the chances of your mod getting in are inherently small, therefore you're only improving unofficial and actually don't help official players at all. So the point is modders aren't "saving the game". Only improving the un-official branch of the game which isn't marketed to new players.

seriously, you're barking up the wrong tree here, you could've picked any other topic , this one is specifically focused on content for unofficial..
Nobody wants to get a mod "in"..
the devkit IS for unofficial and not intended to help official players. no clue where you got that idea.. 

you were right about the devkit not being a way to "fix" the game, but you were wrong about mods not "saving" the game. 

on average i think the overall playtime until someone gets bored or interested in something new is 2-3 months.
without modding, those players are lost forever, servers die out and you'll end up with a handful of players.
with mods, those players who otherwise would've been gone keep coming back due to the new config/gameplay options mods provide, keep talking/showing their friends, stream, make more people interested. that's how they "save the game".. 

Edited by BLiNNeMaNS

21 hours ago, BLiNNeMaNS said:

seriously, you're barking up the wrong tree here, you could've picked any other topic , this one is specifically focused on content for unofficial..
Nobody wants to get a mod "in"..
the devkit IS for unofficial and not intended to help official players. no clue where you got that idea.. 

you were right about the devkit not being a way to "fix" the game, but you were wrong about mods not "saving" the game. 

on average i think the overall playtime until someone gets bored or interested in something new is 2-3 months.
without modding, those players are lost forever, servers die out and you'll end up with a handful of players.
with mods, those players who otherwise would've been gone keep coming back due to the new config/gameplay options mods provide, keep talking/showing their friends, stream, make more people interested. that's how they "save the game".. 

Here's a great example of why you are wrong. Ark, has dev kit, has mods, has a healthy official as well as a healthy unofficial population. Extinction official servers where packed on launch. You will NOT save the game.....only improve it for those who don't play official. My issue is not the mods themselves, it's those that proclaim themselves "saviors" of the game when it just isn't true. Ark has proved that you aren't saviors of the game, otherwise official servers would be almost always empty....yet they aren't. Hell, there will still be 1000's of people connected to official just like there are now once mods do come out.

Today it should come out:

"We expect the DevKit to be available for download Thursday Evening, with a lot of additional functionality, including the ability to host servers without using the seamless grid system, but rather traditional "single server" specifically using Steam Workshop maps."

On 1/18/2019 at 5:13 AM, BLiNNeMaNS said:

and here it is 😉

^^ Let us all live in peace together at last. 😉  May ATLAS be a better place to be for us all.... ^^ Man I felt bad for a bit at the mess stirred up in this post, but now we can all enjoy one another without friction once again. 🙂