psykikk

They don´t care: The "updated Patchnotes" clearly show it

Griefers and exploits
Cheaters and hackers
a broken claim system
no server moderation at all
and NO official statement on the forums ever. 

I come to realize that they probably reallly don´t care. 
their goal is to make money, not to make a great online gaming experience. and they are certainly doing that. 
if they would have ever logged into their own server and played their own game for more than 1 minute to actually experience what they have created, most stuff would never make it into public patch versions and builds. 

Grapeshot and Wildcar are making money. As long as enough kids with no life and chinese ( and this is not stereotyping, but China is a VERY huge market for games)  buy their product, they have no reason to change anything. 

as long as "normal" players rent personal servers and admin those themselves, they still make money. 
as long as the community develops mods that make this game playable and entertaining like they did with ARK, they dont have to care at all - they are still making money. 

I dont really think that they care about their game at all. they dont care about the community, or we would see some form of official statements regarding some of the most pressed issues of the playerbase. what we do see is a very fast patch cycle. but I couldnt tell where they get teir priorities for their patches from as they are certainly not from the community. 

what part of patch notes gives u the impression they don’t care,

as all u have posted is a whiner moaning thread ?

be more specific quoting the parts of the patch that doesn’t care about the game or players, list all the patch notes from day 1 not just today’s upcoming 

Edited by uli
  • Like 1

Here is a note: We are in early access and they are generally fixing the game. 
That means they want griefers to be active now, because every grief they invent can (and probably will) be fixed before full release 🙂 Banning them (especially the more creative type) IMHO can be counterproductive during early access. 

Minus is we have to live with them for a time 😞 

• Like 2

about the patch:
- missing something about weight griefing
- missing any change to claim system that handles timers, long term logged off sleepers etc. 
- missing any changes to AI spawn rates, AI aggro range, AI hitboxes, AOE Damage
- missing any changes regarding clipping through walls, ships, etc. 

about general statements and comunications:

missing any statements or acknowledgements in these forums whatsoever
have you ever read anything in here from an official representative in the ways of "we know about this, we are looking into it.. " or anything in that lane ? 

and no I will dissect every little patchnote that came out because its not about specific points on the list
I agree that they work on the game and are trying to "improve it", thasts not the point.
the point is that the things they are improving are not the major pain points of the majority of gthe communicating player base.
(as that I use just the forum section of PVE, as this post mainly concerns PVE)
all of these issues have been present form the start 
claim system was broken from the get go and I am not the only one that thinks this way 
weight griefing was in the game from the start and they dont even acknowledge it
broken (or lets say - bad -) physics like clipping, phasing etc  was in ARK and thats the same freakin game engine. 

( I am not complaining about them using an existing engine. or existing game mechanics.
I am complaining about the fact that they imported all those flaws and bugs and glitches into a new product. )

and most of all, I am complaining about the fact that there are a lot of players that have very valid points, very good suggestions and very real concerns. 
they bought this game because the vision and idea behind it was (and still is) amazing. BUT its those players that seemingly get ignored. 
not a single suggestion in the forum section ever triggered any form of response, at least not that I know of. 

Not one whiner- or complainer--thread ever got any form of official acknowledgement, and some even went through all the fuss to list all it all like you "asked" for. 

NO response, whatsoever. nothing. 
and this is EA, a "develeopment practice", that - at least in theory - exists solely to include the player base in the development and to take their feedback into making games better and more like the games the players want. 

for that, you need to talk to the players. 

have you ever seen a moderator or admin in the game ? 
have you ever seen a developer writing something in the forums ? 

if so...consider yourself lucky. most of the rest have not. and thats what really, really concerns me. 
I´ve played this game well over 150 hours already. I would love this game to really become a great one. but for that they seriously need to kick in high gear. 

and I dont mean timewise. but in regards on communication and community feedback. 
we know what they want the game to be technically. 
but it seems they dont care if there gigantic FPS servers are populated by griefers, cheaters and assholes. 
most players that chose PVE do it to avoid exactly this kind of behavior. this is deemed "pvp" nowadays and that might be ok for those doing it. 
but allowing this, plus the technical issues make PVE - so far - a game mode that is just not entertaining anymore. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elrood said:

That means they want griefers to be active now, because every grief they invent can (and probably will) be fixed before full release 🙂 Banning them (especially the more creative type) IMHO can be counterproductive during early access. 

like stated in my response I was writing just now: this would be "ok" if they would at least acknowledge thatthey know about the issue. 

problem with EA is, that if they let people keep doing this for too long, normal people will just not enjoy the game and simply quit.
what´s left is a community that is slowly dying  or made up of a toxic playerbase.
and when the game is supposedly "finished" (most EA games nowadays are not, they simply call it that and end their work on it and let the modders take over) 

the game simply wont recover from this. 
ark without private servers with mods would be "pvp", offline rading and megatribes sealclubbing only mode. 

and this is what Atlas is already turning into as well. The mechanics are the same so the same playerbase is attracted to it. 

2 minutes ago, psykikk said:

like stated in my response I was writing just now: this would be "ok" if they would at least acknowledge thatthey know about the issue. 

problem with EA is, that if they let people keep doing this for too long, normal people will just not enjoy the game and simply quit.
 what´s left is a community that is slowly dying  or made up of a toxic playerbase.
and when the game is supposedly "finished" (most EA games nowadays are not, they simply call it that and end their work on it and let the modders take over) 

the game simply wont recover from this. 
ark without private servers with mods would be "pvp", offline rading and megatribes sealclubbing only mode. 

and this is what Atlas is already turning into as well. The mechanics are the same so the same playerbase is attracted to it. 

Not everyone is raided and griefed in pve. Actually imho most of us is not - but with so big number of active players there is enough voices about griefers that it looks like its big problem. Maybe i'm living in bubble on my little island....? But with policy live and let live I had no problems at all and as far as i know generally people didn't have that problems too. 

There were some stupid turf wars like "you claimed our base we sunk your ship, etc." but usually both parties provoked one another.  

Not everyone is raided and griefed in pve. Actually imho most of us is not - but with so big number of active players there is enough voices about griefers that it looks like its big problem. Maybe i'm living in bubble on my little island....? But with policy live and let live I had no problems at all and as far as i know generally people didn't have that problems too. 

There were some stupid turf wars like "you claimed our base we sunk your ship, etc." but usually both parties provoked one another.  

its always a problem nowadays with the "vocal minority".. I agree. it might be very true that real incidents , co,mpared to player numbers, is really, really low. 

but ive been griefed, and in my company alone several others haven been as well. 

in every sector I was in (and I spawned in several freeports to easily check out different biomes), ALL sectors had people with complains and heated discussions about  either weight griefing, or really big, abusive companies. number two topic was always clogged up claims and islands with no place to develop .

3 minutes ago, psykikk said:

its always a problem nowadays with the "vocal minority".. I agree. it might be very true that real incidents , co,mpared to player numbers, is really, really low. 

but ive been griefed, and in my company alone several others haven been as well. 

in every sector I was in (and I spawned in several freeports to easily check out different biomes), ALL sectors had people with complains and heated discussions about  either weight griefing, or really big, abusive companies. number two topic was always clogged up claims and islands with no place to develop .

Truth be told.... Hard to say with griefing. Free port and lawless may be a bit different story than what i see in standard sectors. I wasn't in any of them (excluding brief visits) for a week or so... But living on my own claim i have to say i had peace (excluding some attempts to claim me) of mind for most of the time. 

As for claiming, yes, i agree, its broken like hell, but thats different story.

9 minutes ago, Elrood said:

Truth be told.... Hard to say with griefing. Free port and lawless may be a bit different story than what i see in standard sectors. I wasn't in any of them (excluding brief visits) for a week or so... But living on my own claim i have to say i had peace (excluding some attempts to claim me) of mind for most of the time. 

As for claiming, yes, i agree, its broken like hell, but thats different story.

good for you mate. I envy you. 
it really might be more rare than it feels. i gues if you live in the right areas (away from griefers) you seem to be doing ok. 
but the fact that its even possible (in PVE nonetheless) and we dont have any official response or acknowledgement about it is very concerning. 

1 minute ago, psykikk said:

good for you mate. I envy you. 
it really might be more rare than it feels. i gues if you live in the right areas (away from griefers) you seem to be doing ok. 
 but the fact that its even possible (in PVE nonetheless) and we dont have any official response or acknowledgement about it is very concerning. 

Actually i'm not worried. Devs didn't acknowledge anything officially, but stuff is being fixed all the time - and truth be told crashes, CDT and performance issues imho are more important than grefing at the moment. 

I will start to get worried when I will see completely new features introduced way before ixing this mess with PvE. 

Also in other topic I saw (and i think you too) info that they are aware and thinking about the solution. 

1 hour ago, Elrood said:

That's kinda silly.  They know the pin codes are being hacked.  (What pirate uses pin codes anyway??)  They could easily just make all containers locked on creation, but they don't.  How does this provide them any more useful information by letting it continue?  They know that people can sink boats with weight, and they know exactly how this is done.  How does not fixing this help anyone?

Sure, if they want a tame "griefer force" to find all the ways to grief, let them delay banning them till they're done with them.  But I seriously doubt that's what's happening.  If they were that sophisticated in their approach, we'd be seeing fixes for the griefing bugs already found that are causing players to quit and affecting new game sales.

At this point I'm just thinking these guys are not the sharpest knives in the block.  They are obviously making changes to claims, but every new change is also bugged, and the direction they're going for "renting land" on pve is just stupid.  It's almost like they don't want anyone to be buying this game 3 months from now.

2 hours ago, psykikk said:

about the patch:
- missing something about weight griefing
- missing any change to claim system that handles timers, long term logged off sleepers etc. 
- missing any changes to AI spawn rates, AI aggro range, AI hitboxes, AOE Damage
- missing any changes regarding clipping through walls, ships, etc. 

about general statements and comunications:

missing any statements or acknowledgements in these forums whatsoever
have you ever read anything in here from an official representative in the ways of "we know about this, we are looking into it.. " or anything in that lane ? 

and no I will dissect every little patchnote that came out because its not about specific points on the list
I agree that they work on the game and are trying to "improve it", thasts not the point.
the point is that the things they are improving are not the major pain points of the majority of gthe communicating player base.
(as that I use just the forum section of PVE, as this post mainly concerns PVE)
all of these issues have been present form the start 
claim system was broken from the get go and I am not the only one that thinks this way 
weight griefing was in the game from the start and they dont even acknowledge it
broken (or lets say - bad -) physics like clipping, phasing etc  was in ARK and thats the same freakin game engine. 

( I am not complaining about them using an existing engine. or existing game mechanics.
I am complaining about the fact that they imported all those flaws and bugs and glitches into a new product. )

and most of all, I am complaining about the fact that there are a lot of players that have very valid points, very good suggestions and very real concerns. 
they bought this game because the vision and idea behind it was (and still is) amazing. BUT its those players that seemingly get ignored. 
not a single suggestion in the forum section ever triggered any form of response, at least not that I know of. 

Not one whiner- or complainer--thread ever got any form of official acknowledgement, and some even went through all the fuss to list all it all like you "asked" for. 

NO response, whatsoever. nothing. 
and this is EA, a "develeopment practice", that - at least in theory - exists solely to include the player base in the development and to take their feedback into making games better and more like the games the players want. 

for that, you need to talk to the players. 

have you ever seen a moderator or admin in the game ? 
have you ever seen a developer writing something in the forums ? 

if so...consider yourself lucky. most of the rest have not. and thats what really, really concerns me. 
I´ve played this game well over 150 hours already. I would love this game to really become a great one. but for that they seriously need to kick in high gear. 

and I dont mean timewise. but in regards on communication and community feedback. 
we know what they want the game to be technically. 
but it seems they dont care if there gigantic FPS servers are populated by griefers, cheaters and assholes. 
most players that chose PVE do it to avoid exactly this kind of behavior. this is deemed "pvp" nowadays and that might be ok for those doing it. 
but allowing this, plus the technical issues make PVE - so far - a game mode that is just not entertaining anymore. 

you still havnt show one item that shows they dont care , they have released patch after patch addressing issues , do u have any clue about game development ? i doubt it , u have no idea how complex bugs are to find / fix 

=missing any changes to AI spawn rates, AI aggro range, AI hitboxes, AOE Damage --READ NOTE FOR TODAY REGARDING WOLFS , thats just the start -- - missing any change to ----=claim system that handles timers, long term logged off sleepers etc. -- more changes to claim system incoming today , lots of fixes to claim system over the past week or more --more to come  

=clippping into building is a UE4 engine issue not the game , it happens to every survival game made using that engine , go check ark , conan , etc -

7 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

That's kinda silly.  They know the pin codes are being hacked.  (What pirate uses pin codes anyway??)  They could easily just make all containers locked on creation, but they don't.  How does this provide them any more useful information by letting it continue?  They know that people can sink boats with weight, and they know exactly how this is done.  How does not fixing this help anyone?

Sure, if they want a tame "griefer force" to find all the ways to grief, let them delay banning them till they're done with them.  But I seriously doubt that's what's happening.  If they were that sophisticated in their approach, we'd be seeing fixes for the griefing bugs already found that are causing players to quit and affecting new game sales.

At this point I'm just thinking these guys are not the sharpest knives in the block.  They are obviously making changes to claims, but every new change is also bugged, and the direction they're going for "renting land" on pve is just stupid.  It's almost like they don't want anyone to be buying this game 3 months from now.

I think you are overestimating how many things they can work in parallel.
Look at what they are patching the most - server performance in every patch and CDT fixes. A lot of balancing too but imho most of the balancing stuff they did could be done by non-coders and it looks like to me at least that their coders works on application and server stability as priority. 

Again, this is only my opinion, but I think that after they have that under control, griefing could be next on the list. 

Beside, claim issue is probably bigger than griefing because it affect every new player and at least they are doing something in this direction. 
Add to it how complex this systems get and that most "fixes" people propose has gaping holes in them - mostly because said people does not care about other who play the game differently then them. 
Than there is probably a bottleneck of only few peoples who have to agree to any mechanics changes - which add time to big remakes of multiple stuff. Still reasonable if one don't want total chaos in a project. 

As for introducing new bugs.... The speed with which they are patching stuff there has to be bugs. They don't have enough time to test it fully - no way to do it in those time frames. I don't mind cause worse issues are fixed quicker, but this is up to preferences. Imho either one or two patches a month and no new bugs (some will happen, but in much smaller number than now) or what we have right now? That is probably the choice and they already made it.

Now, I'm not sure why you say that direction with claims is stupid BEFORE its even tested by us, but hey... Maybe you are right even? I will wait and see before deciding 😉 

As for sales - sorry, but this point for me is moot with current reviews - i highly doubt there is anything that can lower sales even more.... 

i know in H5 on PvE we haven't had any griefers really. mainly because our island is very hard to live on most people see it and claim a little land and then leave once they learn this

29 minutes ago, UDO said:

=clippping into building is a UE4 engine issue not the game , it happens to every survival game made using that engine , go check ark , conan , etc -

strange that we as players are content knowing that. explain to me this: how is not falling through the world, not being able to walk through a wall as player any different then making a mob not being able to fall through the ground or not clipping through walls ? 

please, provide me with an answer because there is none. 

its models being put into games that are not properly tested. and we as customers are supposed to test and repport this -> its EA i get that. 

BUT this has been reporterd since Ark came out. They didnt do shit about it. instead published new models (new dinos) 

now we have atlas. same engine. some models are even the same. still the same issues. 

its not that the Engine is not able to do it. it just has to be configured / proogrammed / designed to behave as intended. which it was not. 

25 minutes ago, Elrood said:

Look at what they are patching the most - server performance in every patch and CDT fixes. A lot of balancing too but imho most of the balancing stuff they did could be done by non-coders and it looks like to me at least that their coders works on application and server stability as priority. 

Again, this is only my opinion, but I think that after they have that under control, griefing could be next on the list. 

Beside, claim issue is probably bigger than griefing because it affect every new player and at least they are doing something in this direction. 
Add to it how complex this systems get and that most "fixes" people propose has gaping holes in them - mostly because said people does not care about other who play the game differently then them. 
Than there is probably a bottleneck of only few peoples who have to agree to any mechanics changes - which add time to big remakes of multiple stuff. Still reasonable if one don't want total chaos in a project. 

As for introducing new bugs.... The speed with which they are patching stuff there has to be bugs. They don't have enough time to test it fully - no way to do it in those time frames. I don't mind cause worse issues are fixed quicker, but this is up to preferences. Imho either one or two patches a month and no new bugs (some will happen, but in much smaller number than now) or what we have right now? That is probably the choice and they already made it.

Now, I'm not sure why you say that direction with claims is stupid BEFORE its even tested by us, but hey... Maybe you are right even? I will wait and see before deciding 😉 

As for sales - sorry, but this point for me is moot with current reviews - i highly doubt there is anything that can lower sales even more.... 

if netcode coders and network designers, hardware and server adming etc are the same ones that look into balancing and clipping issues, model and map designs, you have serious problem on your hands because those skillsets are not even remotely the same. 

if they were only 4 guys doing this, I would totally agree. they are not. they made enough money already to hire enough people to work on multiple fronts at the same time. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elrood said:

It would be very unusual if the same guys responsible for tuning the servers and network were also working on game mechanics.  But sure..maybe that could be the case.  Someone who has set up a private server said there is a server flag you can set to make every container locked on creation.  Just a server flag.  It would fix the pin code hacking.

Maybe the weight thing on ships is more complicated.  Maybe.  It's a pretty big deal though.  They should say something about it at least.  "Griefing" isn't one thing.  It's a series of bad coding decisions/bugs that just need to be patched.

Claim issues ARE big, and as you say, they've made some changes.  None of the changes have worked properly.  They've been buggy.  Sure, it's very possible to fix something and cause an unexpected bug in another part of the game, but to put out a fix for something, where the fix itself doesn't even work right means no one is testing this.  They are just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.  Why do I say the claims direction is stupid before it's even tested by us?  Because I'm talking about the design of it.    These guys all sit around a table or conference about this stuff, and decide how they want it to be, and this is what they decided.

1.  To provide a claim system on a pve server where people can claim unlimited land on day 1,  no new players after day 5 will have any land to claim....ever.  Who will buy that game after a month, with no possible claims?   If you make a system designed for "haves" and "have nots", nobody is going to be happy being a permanent "have not". 

2. To design it so the landowners can allow other people to join their company and build there, then let the company kick them out and take all their stuff.  Did they imagine those people would be happy about that?

3.  To try to make those people happy not by finding some way for them to own land, but by allowing them to "rent" land from one of the people who grabbed it all at the beginning.  They have to pay taxes to keep it, but on pve they get nothing for their taxes.  They don't need protection, like on pvp.  So there you go...some other guy got here first, and now the best you can do is pay him for a little spot.  (And it's possible he can still kick you out of there and keep all your stuff)  Who will want to pay for a game where that's the best they can have?

Very bad design decisions, and they don't need us to "test" this to know that's true.  All you have to do is imagine you just heard of the game on Feb. 1st and you're looking to see if you want to buy it.    Doesn't live up to the promise of what the game is supposed to be:

Stake your claim in this endless open world as you conquer territory, construct ships, search for buried treasure, assemble forts, plunder settlements and hire crew to join your powerful growing armada. Start small then expand your spheres of influence from a small island, up to an unstoppable pirate empire that spans across the oceans. 

Rent your claim from an overlord who was here from day 1, in this endless open world as you don't get to conquer territory, construct ships, which your company will steal........... Start small then stay small an you cannot expand your spheres of influence from a small island, up to an unstoppable pirate empire that spans across the oceans.   Because someone else got there first.

Just now, psykikk said:

if netcode coders and network designers, hardware and server adming etc are the same ones that look into balancing and clipping issues, model and map designs, you have serious problem on your hands because those skillsets are not even remotely the same

if they were only 4 guys doing this, I would totally agree. they are not. they made enough money already to hire enough people to work on multiple fronts at the same time. 

As example, imho client app and server coders are needed for CDT crashes and map clipping issues so yeah, it overlap. Skill trees, number balancing nope - but instead need a lot more testing 😛  
As for hiring - sorry, but this is wrong mentality. "12 mothers will not make a child in 1 month. 12 developers will not solve stuff 12 times faster than 1." This has become a trivia quote in industry but its close enough to truth. 
And bringing new people to existing project is always a pain. In simpler projects (than most games) it can take weeks and months before people can work reliably without supervision from old hands. And mmo are even harder to work on than most games. New project learning's curves can and often are more step than dwarf fortress for new player 😉 
In short - if they hired a lot of people, for weeks we would not see any tangible result of such hiring. This is not my opinion, rather general consensus between people in industry. As for how viable such hires would be in long run (EA teams generally are downgraded in terms of manpower in gaming industry), thats another topic. And please remember than bulk of sails just went and they won't see big payback for years (probably until release of DLC or game). 
IMHO you made a couple of assumptions in this few short sentences that are false.

• Like 1

Just now, Winter Thorne said:

Claim issues ARE big, and as you say, they've made some changes.  None of the changes have worked properly.  They've been buggy.  Sure, it's very possible to fix something and cause an unexpected bug in another part of the game, but to put out a fix for something, where the fix itself doesn't even work right means no one is testing this.  They are just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.  Why do I say the claims direction is stupid before it's even tested by us?  Because

2 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

Claim issues ARE big, and as you say, they've made some changes.  None of the changes have worked properly.  They've been buggy.  Sure, it's very possible to fix something and cause an unexpected bug in another part of the game, but to put out a fix for something, where the fix itself doesn't even work right means no one is testing this.  They are just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.  Why do I say the claims direction is stupid before it's even tested by us?  Because I'm talking about the design of it.    These guys all sit around a table or conference about this stuff, and decide how they want it to be, and this is what they decided.

1.  To provide a claim system on a pve server where people can claim unlimited land on day 1,  no new players after day 5 will have any land to claim....ever.  Who will buy that game after a month, with no possible claims?   If you make a system designed for "haves" and "have nots", nobody is going to be happy being a permanent "have not". 

2. To design it so the landowners can allow other people to join their company and build there, then let the company kick them out and take all their stuff.  Did they imagine those people would be happy about that?

3.  To try to make those people happy not by finding some way for them to own land, but by allowing them to "rent" land from one of the people who grabbed it all at the beginning.  They have to pay taxes to keep it, but on pve they get nothing for their taxes.  They don't need protection, like on pvp.  So there you go...some other guy got here first, and now the best you can do is pay him for a little spot.  (And it's possible he can still kick you out of there and keep all your stuff)  Who will want to pay for a game where that's the best they can have?

Very bad design decisions, and they don't need us to "test" this to know that's true.  All you have to do is imagine you just heard of the game on Feb. 1st and you're looking to see if you want to buy it.    Doesn't live up to the promise of what the game is supposed to be:

Stake your claim in this endless open world as you conquer territory, construct ships, search for buried treasure, assemble forts, plunder settlements and hire crew to join your powerful growing armada. Start small then expand your spheres of influence from a small island, up to an unstoppable pirate empire that spans across the oceans. 

Rent your claim from an overlord who was here from day 1, in this endless open world as you don't get to conquer territory, construct ships, which your company will steal........... Start small then stay small an you cannot expand your spheres of influence from a small island, up to an unstoppable pirate empire that spans across the oceans.   Because someone else got there first.

Add 1. I actually expanded my claims two days ago... So yeah, its possible. I know I will be opening some land after the patch. If players will be able to build even temporary base they will have much bigger chance to find their own claims - mostly because by living on the island i'm aware on which territory to look when i want to expand/claim. its kind of visible who stopped playing. 

Add 2. Yeah, that could be a problem. Will see how this works. Again, I will actually want to see how this whole stuff works cause everything I have right now is a paragraph in patch notes without much details. 

Add 3 - look at add 1 - its easier to find spot (and expand) if you are on the map more than an hour or two because you are aware which claims are running off and which are constantly active. 

But again - before i see how it works i will wait with opinion on it.

20+ patches and doing so while over the holidays.

Think to say they don't care is down too players being impatient, they want it working now. 

This stuff takes time and like i said they have been patching none stop, so just wait and chill, it's not like we have had no patches.

This game is officially releasing in 2 years, if you're not happy, wait till then.

Find it strange when people say they need to fix it ASAP or the devs don't care when they are actively patching

• Like 2

It is also to me strange, that massive issues were not really talked about in the captains log at all. There have been only one small mention about claim flags from Jat (community dev) on Twitter.

As example, imho client app and server coders are needed for CDT crashes and map clipping issues so yeah, it overlap. Skill trees, number balancing nope - but instead need a lot more testing 😛  
As for hiring - sorry, but this is wrong mentality. "12 mothers will not make a child in 1 month. 12 developers will not solve stuff 12 times faster than 1." This has become a trivia quote in industry but its close enough to truth. 
And bringing new people to existing project is always a pain. In simpler projects (than most games) it can take weeks and months before people can work reliably without supervision from old hands. And mmo are even harder to work on than most games. New project learning's curves can and often are more step than dwarf fortress for new player 😉 
In short - if they hired a lot of people, for weeks we would not see any tangible result of such hiring. This is not my opinion, rather general consensus between people in industry. As for how viable such hires would be in long run (EA teams generally are downgraded in terms of manpower in gaming industry), thats another topic. And please remember than bulk of sails just went and they won't see big payback for years (probably until release of DLC or game). 
IMHO you made a couple of assumptions in this few short sentences that are false.

in any profit oriented industry (as you of course know) you hire the right people with the right skillset.if you can get your hands on people that are better or will improve your workflow, you do it. they got the money. not dong so would be stupid. 

of course not every (technical) problem can be solved by just throwing manpower at it. I never said that, and the "trivia quote" is most often nothing more than a mockery from people not knowing anythign about proper project management. you might also know the quote "if you think a project manager manages projects, you might as well think that butterflies are flies made up of butter". 

well , sorry to wake you up: proper project management works , has been used for decades and helps you to tackle much more complex scenarios than developing a computer game. 

and while ther might be overlaps in skills in some areas (modeling and game physics, network an server performance) I can almost guarantee you that the guys setting up and finetuning servers are never ever the same guys (or better put,  shouldn´t be) worrying about coding. like I said: if zthose are the same guys, you will never get Grade A servers and never get Grade A coding. because being really, really good, requires specialisation. 

2 hours ago, Elrood said:

Then consider yourself extremely lucky. I was the same until today, played with 2 other friends on a lawless zone. Had there a small part on the beach, enough for shipyard and a house. When logging in today our ships were sunk, but we were not the only ones. Someone took the time to sink every single ship on the whole island. Not sure how the other islands in the same region are, but if unlucky they all share the same fate.

I mean that's not even about a fight with your neighbour or about trying to steal claims, as there is no option to claim lawless regions. So what's the point other than trolling other people?

6 minutes ago, psykikk said:

in any profit oriented industry (as you of course know) you hire the right people with the right skillset.if you can get your hands on people that are better or will improve your workflow, you do it. they got the money. not dong so would be stupid. 

of course not every (technical) problem can be solved by just throwing manpower at it. I never said that, and the "trivia quote" is most often nothing more than a mockery from people not knowing anythign about proper project management. you might also know the quote "if you think a project manager manages projects, you might as well think that butterflies are flies made up of butter". 

well , sorry to wake you up: proper project management works , has been used for decades and helps you to tackle much more complex scenarios than developing a computer game. 

and while ther might be overlaps in skills in some areas (modeling and game physics, network an server performance) I can almost guarantee you that the guys setting up and finetuning servers are never ever the same guys (or better put,  shouldn´t be) worrying about coding. like I said: if zthose are the same guys, you will never get Grade A servers and never get Grade A coding. because being really, really good, requires specialisation. 

As a part of IT industry i can tell you that - project management in this industry has no idea what it is doing in general. They are fiddling in dark looking at what works and what is not working. Mostly the second. 

Edit: about fine tunning - actually both sys-admins, network guys and programmers should be involved. Admins can do a lot, you are completely right, but programmers also need to optimize code - and this is usually empiric based - so they see what is bottle-necking and fix it, see what is the next bottleneck and so on. 

Edited by Elrood