Baelithan

The land claim need's to be re-thought out.

I don't know how you are intended to play this game if you have a life. I have work, I have real life matters to tend to. I also have a small group of 5 friends I want to play with. But none of us at all have been able to find a place to start. We all got a raft when we started (and I'm glad we'll be able to get sloops soon because the speed of the raft is mind numbing) and we all took off to try and find somewhere to call our own. 

Thus far, 4 days of sluggish travel not one of us have found any flag's that we can contest, and no one willing to allow us even a single flag's worth of land. 

Now with the newer update, people will be even more included to not give up any land with the ability to tax players if they allow it. I'm not even trusting the system because if they allow these flag's to be changed back to owned even if someone is there. That's just asking for abuse, wait for the person you allow on your land to build up then switch the flag over. 

So because none of us can find anything, we are opted, as we have been told by many a person, to start out on a lawless. But we can't even do that as it is so over packed by players wanting to settle there to not deal with the whole land claim thing that there is no where to build. I've ran around them with a foundation out and everything is too close to enemy. Can't even find a place to put the dock we have. 

So this game is catering to those who can no life it, and get as many people as they can. We did merge in with a bigger group but they took charge and started telling us what to spec and what to do. So our friend who wanted to try out cooking and taming wasn't allowed to do that. I wanted to try ship building but wasn't allowed to do that. So we all left. I'm all for joining someone but we want to be able to play the damn game and not be forced to do just a single roll or be gathering slaves for those too lazy to do it themselvs. 

So we are still drifting along on slow rafts, unable to do a god darn thing.

Really the claim spam has got to stop. Limit it to 1 flag per person. Give them a skill tree perk that lets them place down an extra flag. Give us a 'land master' trait and that person every so many points can place more claims down while the rest of us are stuck to just 1 a person. Then we only can have an area big enough that we can support and not have a single small group or a freaking SOLO PLAYER take over huge chunks of islands. It's just flat out stupid at this point. 

Because damn it after 4 days we had thought we would be well past the 'newbi raft' stage. 

Well your almost lucky you don't have a claim or you would be more upset.  I'm starting to feel like lawless is almost your best bet.  There they atleast have to raid your base.  The current claim system just requires them to have just a portion if their flag on your building to demo it instead of break in.  It's a horribly flawed system that only encourages offline raiding and that is far from PvP.  The state of the game is pretty horrible and if your not in a mega zerg guild you practically can't play.  If that's what they want for a game so be it, I just feel that's not what I was sold.  The player numbers will continue to drop due to the zero balance and lack of any offline protection.  If you can't no life this game or can't fit in with a zerg and be a worker drone then just uninstall imo.

They are already addressing this with the upcoming neutral zones, with neutral zones you can build on them even if the land belongs to someone else, you may have to pay a little tax in terms of the resources you gather but essentially you will get to build and play. It will be patched in tomorrow and activated on wednesday.

the neutral zones gonna be intresting to see how it pans out  , it will open up more people in area thats good , a small but tho  im thinking of overbuilding in a area thus killing the spawns on some smaller island  , we have some that love to build large houses but they also killed off spawn of metal-stone in the surrounding area 😞

What im not liking so far is seeing people put sea claim and putting taxes everywhere its just a bother and annoyance , but we will see how things pans out when people open up their claims-zones to new people so they can build and start playing 

Face it guys, they didn't learn anything from Ark. They built this game off a PVP game because that's what they want to build. But they need the cash from us PVE smucks so they advertise it as a co op game as well. If they seriously wanted to make a PVE game it's hard for me to believe they didn't see any of these game breaking issues. Again, couldn't play at all for the first week and have been floating around on a raft since. Mighty fine pitate game Aarr

A week of play, and SEVERAL LAWLESS ZONES later (I think I hit up nearly all the zones around the central free ports) I got some pity points and a group that had a small chunk of an area allowed me to temp alli with them so I had a spot to make a small ship yard to I could make a sloop of my own and finally get off of a raft.

The sloop lasted all of two hours as passing through to another server I sailed head long into THREE ships of the damned. I might, MIGHT have made it away from them if a twister storm hadn't started and effed with the wind direction allowing me to be swormed. I was even glowing slow as I've ran into this on my raft but they were never RIGHT THERE when I passed the server wall. 

So I lose my first sloop, and am starting over from nothing. 

This thus far has not been fun.

@Baelithan perhaps this thread here could be a step in the right direction as it specifically deals with making and holding land claims be a more costly endeavor, where it would make those that either wants to hold or is holding land claim(s) having to focus on activities that yields gold to be able claim and continuously keep the land:

This idea can be further explored and be made even better and viable for the game.  I think this definitely would fix the issue with all of the land claims being held, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they implemented an upkeep cost paid in gold, players/companies would begin to lose land claims, right, left, center and other directions. Players and companies would suddenly have to focus on activities that would yield gold, where they both wouldn't be able to spam flags and be able to spam claim flags, because my suggestion also deals with making it more costly to actually place claim flag, and not only that, players/companies would also have to craft the flags that would be a finite resource. This alone would also deter players/companies from spamming claim flags, and with initial cost and upkeep cost, players and companies would find that they would have decide on what land they would like to keep and if the next land claim / expansion would be worth it and if they would be able to afford keeping it.

Edited by Incarnate
Fixing typos and adding text.

The servers need to reset. Most of us could not log in during the first week though no fault of our own. Those few lucky enough to stay connected have claimed every inch of every island within the game and NOW we have to take their crumbs and pay extortion taxes to these lucky players? That is a broken model for sure. Since their initial server launch was a flop and they have changed the game dynamics considerably, this calls for a worldwide server reset plain and simple. 

If you don't want to pay taxes, kill them and steal their land. If you can't do that, then a wipe would solve nothing as they would just kill you and take your land. Get over it and git gud.

Edited by Heilos

Saying it needs to be re-thought implies the developers actually thought about it in the first place, which they obviously didn't.

On 1/6/2019 at 4:04 PM, Baelithan said:

Because damn it after 4 days we had thought we would be well past the 'newbi raft' stage. 

I have had to restart 3 times now on rafts and I can safely say this: There is land to be claimed. If you're looking for the perfect island, you won't find that and probably wouldn't want it because of lag and overcrowding. If you're willing to tolerate the cold or deal with gobs of aggros then yes, there are claims to be taken.  You simply have to be willing to work for it. 

My secret? I found a guy with public crafting tables, gobs of fiber and sap.  He did charge tax on it but, it allowed me to craft furs and stock my raft for a voyage into the frozen north.

Now, I'm settled in and living like a Viking.  It's freezing cold and to save on paste, I wear hides and stay indoors at night.  When it rains, I freeze if I'm outside. Every week I'll have to make a run down south back to that guy's 'inn' for fiber (but with the last big patch, I now have some fiber on the island).  I pay 30% on what I collect but in just an hour or two I'm able to get more than a week's supply with just a sickle.  I have wolves out the ass, vultures that peck me to death and the occasional rampaging alpha horse that whacks me dead for no reason.  But you know what?  I'm enjoying it.  There are bears, wolves, lions, sheep and even elephants to tame. I have mountains on both sides of me and a lush valley I can call my own and damned few neighbours, just the way I like it. 

Quit looking for a paradise with umbrellas in your mai-tai.  Respec hard into fortitude and move to the tundra. You'll find many spots where those who thot they had what it takes found out they really didn't and left.

im living on Artic land too its empty guys and u can claim tons of land

i did it

and we are 12 max pop there , most of the time 5

cats, snakes, pigs, seagulls, wolves, sheeps and 1 human only i found on a big island

just sail explore and u ll see a lot of empty zone

some are tuff to live but cool to see and discovery xp wealthy

So we have moved on to PVE. and betwween us all we have gone to pretty much every region  across the world and thus far, there is NO land spots to be had. Plus in pvewe can't just go up and kill someone and take their land. Between myself and our friends spreading out in hopes of finding something we have covered the whole game world. Even the far north and south (with many a death hops along the way). 

We have managed to make a small foot hold thanks to someone on lawless that was nice enough to alli up with us and let us build a small shack and small ship yard, theres talk of perhaps merging as they are only three strong while we are 6 strong. This is at least a little better than last time, were we had a temp ally on another lawless zone that let us stay long enough to make a sloop and be on.. even if that sloop didn't last long. So at the moment we are just allying to see how we get along. So once again we can make our own sloops and have started trying to make our first Schooner.

But this still has issues, these Lawless maps seem to be over crowded due to lack of land and people not wanting to deal with the land claim nonsense and its causing more and more lag to these areas. Plus holy frig the foundation/pillar spam is even worse than it was before. It seems the island we are settled on has two bigger companies trying to claim as much if the land as they can with foundations. They seem to monitor demo timers closly and take over spots as soon as they can. 

So not only do we have people land claiming flags like mad, but we have the normal ark foundation spammers in lawless. 

Really the whole concept of owning land BADLY needs to be sorted. 

I still say it be far better if everyone can place down ONLY a single flag. From what I've seen a single flag is more than big enough for a good sized base and then some, more than enough for a group of players. Then the size of your land can grow as you gain more members who can place their own flags down. You control a land size based off how many you have, thus, how much land you can manage. This way solo players or those of smaller groups don't have to settle for lawless zones, and we are not forced to join bigger companies. We did that, we did not enjoy it as we were being ordered around and told what to do, what we were allowed to spec as, and so on. We couldn't play the game and try out the diff aspects of it. I'm not wasting my free time to play a game like its a job doing only what we are told to do so someone else can reap the rewards and do what they want. 

I mean come on, we were not even allowed to make our own sloop with the mats we ourselvs were farming as we would be 'wasting' the mats that were 'needed' for something else. Plus being told to spec out of ship building as they had someone for that but even they didn't want to waste the mats to allow us a sloop, and we were not allowed to take out any ships they did have even to go to another area for resources. They even dropped the sloop frame we had started to prevent us from 'wasting any more mats' on it. Mats we farmed ourselvs. 

Thus why we left that company, this is a GAME, and being bossed around and denied what we want to do is not how a GAME should be played. 

So, we are stuck at a road block, on a small speck of an area on a lawless island with foundation spam up the yingyang, and only space for a small ship yard. All while watching all land that becomes clear become foundation claimed by one of the two bigger companies who have also settled here. Others have also reported their ships being sunk and caught one of them doing it... so we also have that to worry about. Given what we seen in other lawless zones, I don't see much hope of finding anything if we did leave for another.

This is all just sad as I enjoyed ARK's official PVP. But atlas is just a mess. 

Edited by Baelithan

On 1/6/2019 at 10:04 PM, Baelithan said:

I don't know how you are intended to play this game if you have a life. I have work, I have real life matters to tend to. I also have a small group of 5 friends I want to play with. But none of us at all have been able to find a place to start. We all got a raft when we started (and I'm glad we'll be able to get sloops soon because the speed of the raft is mind numbing) and we all took off to try and find somewhere to call our own. 

Thus far, 4 days of sluggish travel not one of us have found any flag's that we can contest, and no one willing to allow us even a single flag's worth of land. 

Now with the newer update, people will be even more included to not give up any land with the ability to tax players if they allow it. I'm not even trusting the system because if they allow these flag's to be changed back to owned even if someone is there. That's just asking for abuse, wait for the person you allow on your land to build up then switch the flag over. 

So because none of us can find anything, we are opted, as we have been told by many a person, to start out on a lawless. But we can't even do that as it is so over packed by players wanting to settle there to not deal with the whole land claim thing that there is no where to build. I've ran around them with a foundation out and everything is too close to enemy. Can't even find a place to put the dock we have. 

So this game is catering to those who can no life it, and get as many people as they can. We did merge in with a bigger group but they took charge and started telling us what to spec and what to do. So our friend who wanted to try out cooking and taming wasn't allowed to do that. I wanted to try ship building but wasn't allowed to do that. So we all left. I'm all for joining someone but we want to be able to play the damn game and not be forced to do just a single roll or be gathering slaves for those too lazy to do it themselvs. 

So we are still drifting along on slow rafts, unable to do a god darn thing.

Really the claim spam has got to stop. Limit it to 1 flag per person. Give them a skill tree perk that lets them place down an extra flag. Give us a 'land master' trait and that person every so many points can place more claims down while the rest of us are stuck to just 1 a person. Then we only can have an area big enough that we can support and not have a single small group or a freaking SOLO PLAYER take over huge chunks of islands. It's just flat out stupid at this point. 

tbo ive not seen u in drid im at  ? so u havnt gone far yet ? try asking in chat try traveling farther, the closest grids to freeports are all taken  U WILL need to travel further ...

tbo with the tax banks its to player advantage to give some land as they will never have to farm as much as they are , as will get enough from land taxes ,

i dont understand how people build the banks then let no one else settle on their land , very strange ....

and there have been new companys settling on our grid all over weekend ther eis land for claiming and taking from abandoned bases , u are just not taking the time to land on islands and try to take claims ?

show us your atlas map lets see how many grids u have actually visited? and how many island u actually landed on and explored , if u have done and explored as u say then u will have a ton of discovery points as well ..

Edited by UDO

Just now, UDO said:

tbo ive not seen u in g4 ? so u havnt gone far yet ? try asking in chat try traveling farther, the closest grids to freeports are all taken  U WILL need to travel further ...

tbo with the tax banks its to player advantage to give some land as they will never have to farm as much as they are , as will get enough from land taxes ,

i dont understand how people build the banks then let no one else settle on their land , very strange ....

It's me and 5 friends who have spread out trying to find land. So you may not have seen me but you may have seen one of them instead. We have traveled far enough to uncover pretty much all the lands around before getting the small spot we are on now. I know I've gone to F4, and been swormmed by overspawns up the wazoo. 

Also you don't have to settle on land to be taxed. You just have to go and be in the zone and gather, and have a set % taken from you. So they don't have to give land to get the tax. 

Just now, Baelithan said:

It's me and 5 friends who have spread out trying to find land. So you may not have seen me but you may have seen one of them instead. We have traveled far enough to uncover pretty much all the lands around before getting the small spot we are on now. I know I've gone to F4, and been swormmed by overspawns up the wazoo. 

Also you don't have to settle on land to be taxed. You just have to go and be in the zone and gather, and have a set % taken from you. So they don't have to give land to get the tax. 

iknow how the tax works , but its too players advantge to have someone settle on their claims as they would have permanent income , instead of just a trickle from the odd person that lands to replensih their supplies ,

players are too stupid sometimes ,,,,

Just now, UDO said:

iknow how the tax works , but its too players advantge to have someone settle on their claims as they would have permanent income , instead of just a trickle from the odd person that lands to replensih their supplies ,

players are too stupid sometimes ,,,,

People don't care. They want the land/islands all to themselvs only. I've already watched one person come over and sink my freeport sloop and told me to get lost just for coming ashore to kill some rabbits for some meat. Forcing yet ANOTHER start over. 

2 minutes ago, Baelithan said:

People don't care. They want the land/islands all to themselvs only. I've already watched one person come over and sink my freeport sloop and told me to get lost just for coming ashore to kill some rabbits for some meat. Forcing yet ANOTHER start over. 

i know im sure as the assholes move along to the next hype game things will get better , 

i really hope the devs make an announcment about sinking others ships on pve , maybe something along if proof is 100% certain u will be banned , 

Edited by UDO