Substitute

map Atlas Advanced Dynamic Map

Hello Atlas community.  Today I'm proud to release to first iteration of my advanced dynamic map for Atlas.

The map can be found here: https://pocketdevs.org/map/

Currently, the map has the following features

• Important Zone Highlighting (Freeports, Golden Age Ruins, Lawless Zones, Central Maw.) [Toggleable]
  • Showing Map Grid [Toggleable]
  • Showing Discovery Zones [Toggleable]
  • Showing Biomes [Toggleable]
  • Showing Official Server Top 10 Companies + Claims (NA PVP, NA PVE, EU PVP, EU PVE) [Toggleable]
  • Showing Current Mouse Position as in-game GPS coordinates + Tile 
  • Showing Specific Point as in-game GPS coordinates [Right Click]

Controls

• layers-2x.png.7a4bc2b5bf084c36e801eace2739a35c.png Layer Control, this control allows for changing which layers are shown on the map.
  • zoomer.png.d9ffd7575791a473c5b99e8f5f49f757.pngZoom, this control allows you to zoom the map in or out.
  • cursor.png.ce5e80e7865ecfbb0da74d1b61afdb93.pngRight clicking the map will show the in-game GPS coordinates rounded to two digits.

Screenshots

Click any screenshot for the full-size.

image.thumb.png.6b81cd2eccdc4a4d02a744e5d3cad1e4.pngimage.png.dae0f744bca1f07da88ff81ad01c9f9e.pngimage.thumb.png.1f72eb3823656ee5c3deb9cc2252e5c2.png

Edited by Substitute
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 11

20 hours ago, Luxfere said:

What resources lots of work to do on that stuff 

I'm not quite sure I understand what you are trying to say?

Updating coming in ~an hour to fix a few small issues with the renders, I was using an older pre-release version of the server grid editor.

I've pushed another update that will now show Island names on-hover.

If it causes major performance issues, I'll make it toggle-on instead of always on.

u7noUc7.png

Hmm I have one question about the coordinates, is that a bug on your application's side or did they really develop latitudes and longitudes that go up to/stop at 100° ? O.O Really !!?

What a freaking non-sense if that's the case !

Edit :
Just as general information longitudes go from -180° to 180° around a globe (0 being Greenwich meridian on earth, and would be center of desert on Atlas is seems) and latitudes from -90° to +90° to each poles (0 being the equator line)... In a game where O areas transition to A areas on the right we expect to have a globe so should definitely map to -180° + 180° longitude
, or they should not call it longitude in the first place...
Same for poles when you go up to the north pole you're at +90° south pole is -90° of latitude and of course direct transition from north to south pole is not physically possible, never went to the 1 or 15 zones so I didn't try to check if they implemented a crazy transition from 1 to 15 and vice versa...

Have some of you tested ?

Edited by Will Parrot
Edited to make it more informative

1 hour ago, Will Parrot said:

Hmm I have one question about the coordinates, is that a bug on your application's side or did they really develop latitudes and longitudes that go up to/stop at 100° ? O.O Really !!?

What a freaking non-sense if that's the case !

Edit :
Just as general information longitudes go from -180° to 180° around a globe (0 being Greenwich meridian on earth, and would be center of desert on Atlas is seems) and latitudes from -90° to +90° to each poles (0 being the equator line)... In a game where O areas transition to A areas on the right we expect to have a globe so should definitely map to -180° + 180° longitude
, or they should not call it longitude in the first place...
Same for poles when you go up to the north pole you're at +90° south pole is -90° of latitude and of course direct transition from north to south pole is not physically possible, never went to the 1 or 15 zones so I didn't try to check if they implemented a crazy transition from 1 to 15 and vice versa...

Have some of you tested ?

The coordinate system is -100 to 100.

Hence my comment ^^. Nice job on your application, but really stupid choice to call that longitude and latitude from Grapeshot... Makes no sense at all with values from -100 to +100

Good work It's better than the official one.

The claimed land is not up to date. B13 on Kraken's Maw is all taken

Edited by Zoltan

12 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Good work It's better than the official one.

The claimed land is not up to date. B13 on Kraken's Maw is all taken

My map is showing the same claims as the official map. 

Checked just now, neither mine or the official show B13 on Kraken's Maw taken.

Just looks like the map is only showing top 10 company claims, everything is claimed everywhere almost since game launch, didn't check polar though... Tundra was claimed a bit after the rest of the world but my bet would be now all is claimed...

1 hour ago, Will Parrot said:

Just looks like the map is only showing top 10 company claims, everything is claimed everywhere almost since game launch, didn't check polar though... Tundra was claimed a bit after the rest of the world but my bet would be now all is claimed...

Which is what the official map shows.

I can only show the data the official map has.

On 1/8/2019 at 6:14 PM, Will Parrot said:

Hence my comment ^^. Nice job on your application, but really stupid choice to call that longitude and latitude from Grapeshot... Makes no sense at all with values from -100 to +100

Think this is a feature from ARK, it has the same type of coordinates. I agree it's not really long. and lat. It's more of "Y" & "X" axis coordinates. 

@Substitute - Really good work! :skull:

Edited by Luunk

3 hours ago, Luunk said:

Think this is a feature from ARK, it has the same type of coordinates. I agree it's not really long. and lat. It's more of "Y" & "X" axis coordinates. 

@Substitute - Really good work! :skull:

Its true they have the same in Ark, called Lat and Lon as well... But the difference that makes it really non-sense is here they pretend we're on a globe with right of 'O' being connected to the left of 'A' zones... Hence 100° longitude being neighbor to -100° making it a 200° 'arc' instead of 360° circle around the globe x).

But well even without that lat/lon mistake it would still be no globe, we're playing on a big cylinder since there just as much travel time from A1 to 01 (north of which should be north pole and collapse into a single point if we were on a globe) as A8 to O8 on the equator... ^^

Anyway really nice job on the map, I've heard (and seen) actually another map tool that shows (in more or less real time) the list of connected players and ships (and their crew) on official servers (any shard of the official servers maps)... So don't know how they did get that info but it's certainly possible to get and show information they don't show on the official map.

Hey, is it just me or is everyone unable to toggle the zones/biomes?

1 hour ago, Bee said:

Hey, is it just me or is everyone unable to toggle the zones/biomes?

I don't see an issue for toggling those layers?

UPDATE:  

I've added a new map style called Flat.  You can switch between the Topographic (Default) and Flat styles via the layer switcher.

2 hours ago, Substitute said:

I don't see an issue for toggling those layers?

UPDATE:  

I've added a new map style called Flat.  You can switch between the Topographic (Default) and Flat styles via the layer switcher.

This is all im able to see, all the toggle options seems to have dissapeared for me.

https://imgur.com/a/t8wKpIX

8 hours ago, Bee said:

This is all im able to see, all the toggle options seems to have dissapeared for me.

https://imgur.com/a/t8wKpIX

Interesting, would you be able to show me a javascript console output log?

On your browser hit F12 and navigate to the console tab.

Usually it only loading what you've shown is due to some type of javascript error.

Additionally, which browser are you using?

Edited by Substitute

2 hours ago, Substitute said:

Interesting, would you be able to show me a javascript console output log?

On your browser hit F12 and navigate to the console tab.

Usually it only loading what you've shown is due to some type of javascript error.

Additionally, which browser are you using?

Oh, it's working now, don't know what exactly happened but when i opened that link again, everything was visible.

I am using google chrome.

8 hours ago, Bee said:

Oh, it's working now, don't know what exactly happened but when i opened that link again, everything was visible.

I am using google chrome.

Well that's good, but weird.

Glad everything resolved itself.

On 1/10/2019 at 2:48 AM, Will Parrot said:

Yes, this has been the number one issue with this game. All of the islands are all claimed and have been since the first week =(.