Sign in to follow this  
McGimp

EA though

This is the worst gaming experience i have had to endure in the last 15 years of online gaming. Every system in the game is broken, broken, broken.

*Broken AI - Whether it be NPC crew or SoD or Whales or Alphas or just the over spawning over aggro over tuned Crocs/wolves/lions/snakes. None of them worked as intended on their release, all of them have destroyed 1000s of hours of players game time and they are all STILL game breaking. Broken on release, Broken still.

*Claim system - Whether you play pvp or pve the claim system is an absolute joke. I wont even go into detail on this one. anyone who has had the misfortune of putting enough time into this game to get past the 40 resets back to freeport, will understand the problem with this garbage can system. Broken on release, Broken still.

*Risk/time : reward - Every aspect of this game is punishing at every turn. No matter how much time or energy is invested into trying to have fun or make progress is met with a bug, glitch, server issue or just plain bad game design(see the above two points). Everything is a huge time investment or risk, with almost no reward. Broken on release, Broken still.

I could go on but i dont have the energy to waste on this game anymore. It is a skeleton of a game. Comprised of a dozen good ideas all implemented poorly. Either underdeveloped or poorly thought through. There is no meat to the content. "EA though, guys." No, sorry, this game shouldnt be ea for two years.. it should have been two more years before this game was eveen released as EA.

I cam back for the patch this week thinking maybe the team was heading in the right direction, but it seems to be the devs are still clueless as to how they can address the multitude of issues facing this game. So, with that im done.

• Like 1

EA is obviously not for you man. Game is very very playable in current state, has a load of issues but they have made a lot of progress in last few weeks. Sorry to see you go, hope ya give it a shot in couple years when more polished!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McGimp said:

This is the worst gaming experience i have had to endure in the last 15 years of online gaming. Every system in the game is broken, broken, broken.

*Broken AI - Whether it be NPC crew or SoD or Whales or Alphas or just the over spawning over aggro over tuned Crocs/wolves/lions/snakes. None of them worked as intended on their release, all of them have destroyed 1000s of hours of players game time and they are all STILL game breaking. Broken on release, Broken still.

*Claim system - Whether you play pvp or pve the claim system is an absolute joke. I wont even go into detail on this one. anyone who has had the misfortune of putting enough time into this game to get past the 40 resets back to freeport, will understand the problem with this garbage can system. Broken on release, Broken still.

*Risk/time : reward - Every aspect of this game is punishing at every turn. No matter how much time or energy is invested into trying to have fun or make progress is met with a bug, glitch, server issue or just plain bad game design(see the above two points). Everything is a huge time investment or risk, with almost no reward. Broken on release, Broken still.

I could go on but i dont have the energy to waste on this game anymore. It is a skeleton of a game. Comprised of a dozen good ideas all implemented poorly. Either underdeveloped or poorly thought through. There is no meat to the content. "EA though, guys." No, sorry, this game shouldnt be ea for two years.. it should have been two more years before this game was eveen released as EA.

I cam back for the patch this week thinking maybe the team was heading in the right direction, but it seems to be the devs are still clueless as to how they can address the multitude of issues facing this game. So, with that im done.

2 year development cycle..... Oh yeah week 2 patch will fix everything for sure that's when I'll come back

51 minutes ago, Goldfish The Builder said:

EA is obviously not for you man. Game is very very playable in current state, has a load of issues but they have made a lot of progress in last few weeks. Sorry to see you go, hope ya give it a shot in couple years when more polished!

Game is still unplayable for a large number of people. And if you pay attention to steam charts over the next two weeks i promise you youll see a sharp drop off. Has nothing to do with it being EA it has to do witht he fact that it ISNT EA and should not have been released.

There are more game breaking issues in this game that destroy hours of player work than there are things that function properly.There is no problem with there being issues but when the issues are game breaking, and they arent fixed for weeks on end, there is a problem.As the forum posts and reddit posts and steam discussions continue to roll in, tere is clearly a bigger problem. Things like Predators attacking people on their boats and spawn camping or killing npc crew then the boat itself while the player is offline. How is something like that in the game for two weeks. I have never played a game EA or not where the dev team would allow something like that to persist. It is literally stealing game time from hundreds if not thousands of players. And its gone unchecked unchanged and unmentioned by the dev team. And that is just one of the major issues that is setting people back full days of game time.

Wake up devs,address the huge number of minor issues that are chasing people away from this game.

The game has issues but none of them I wasn't able to go around. 

And if you would know where the devs were actually working on, you wouldn't have returned yet. 

3 minutes ago, McGimp said:

Game is still unplayable for a large number of people. And if you pay attention to steam charts over the next two weeks i promise you youll see a sharp drop off. 

There are more game breaking issues in this game that destroy hours of player work than there are things that function properly.

"Unplayable" - Can't take people seriously who say that, they simply don't play the game or just want it to be bad.

Well it still floats in between 50 and 60K so we should be good for now, all this is, is speculation, unless ofcourse you can see into the future, if that is - let me know.

More breaking things than things are working properly.. Definitely not. I don't know what you have been playing or what you were doing wrong, but that statement is definitely not true. 

Edited by Percieval

1 minute ago, Percieval said:

"Unplayable" - Can't take people seriously who say that, they simply don't play the game or just want it to be bad.

Well it still floats in between 50 and 60K so we should be good for now, all this is, is speculation, unless ofcourse you can see into the future, if that is - let me know.

More breaking things than things are working properly.. Definitely not. I don't know what you have been playing or what you were doing wrong, but that statement is definitely not true. 

K dude, ill check back 1/13/19. We will see where the game is trending by then. Even many of the large companies are quitting at this point. Nothing works lol. 

If playable to you is putting in a day of gameplay only to lose it to some bug or badly tuned mechanic. Only to restart the next day then sure, the game is playable. Most people dont play games to log in to see their progress all destroyed and have to then rebuild. Only to see the same thing happen the next day.

Keep sucking that corporate dick though perci im sure the publisher is thankful to have people like you to shill for free on their behalf.

1 minute ago, McGimp said:

There are more game breaking issues in this game that destroy hours of player work than there are things that function properly.

I think that this right here is your problem. You have the wrong mentality to play an Early Access game. During Early Access you can lose everything at any point. Hours of work gone in seconds. That's how it is. If you can't handle it then wait for full release or at least until the game is in better shape. It's really quite simple.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, McGimp said:

K dude, ill check back 1/13/19. We will see where the game is trending by then. Even many of the large companies are quitting at this point. Nothing works lol. 

If playable to you is putting in a day of gameplay only to lose it to some bug or badly tuned mechanic. Only to restart the next day then sure, the game is playable. Most people dont play games to log in to see their progress all destroyed and have to then rebuild. Only to see the same thing happen the next day.

Keep sucking that corporate dick though perci im sure the publisher is thankful to have people like you to shill for free on their behalf.

You think that large companies are quitting? Really dude?

And how am I sucking anything when you're spreading out wrong facts and I just tell you that it's not true? 

Just now, moriak said:

I think that this right here is your problem. You have the wrong mentality to play an Early Access game. During Early Access you can lose everything at any point. Hours of work gone in seconds. That's how it is. If you can't handle it then wait for full release or at least until the game is in better shape. It's really quite simple.

But every day though? to the same things? really? The message boards constantly being hit by large numbers of people complaining about the same issues resetting their gameplay day in and day out. 
Industry standards have truly hit an all time low.

1 minute ago, Percieval said:

And how am I sucking anything when you're spreading out wrong facts and I just tell you that it's not true? 

Going from 58k at peak to 50k at peak in the span of a week is terrible for a new game. It means more people are quitting than are joining. At this early stage of the games life thats a pretty bad sign. But tell yourself whatever you need to. Any people on these forums can see for themselves. And either way, time will tell. 

Going from 58k at peak to 50k at peak in the span of a week is terrible for a new game. It means more people are quitting than are joining. At this early stage of the games life thats a pretty bad sign. But tell yourself whatever you need to. Any people on these forums can see for themselves. And either way, time will tell. 

You do know that every game has that, especially EA games? 

All those things the OP mentioned are pretty important, and pretty broken.  Some of the stuff is just very badly designed.  They had to have a design/build/test  phase before they pulled the trigger on EA.  How did some of this stuff ever get through that?  It's obvious they pulled the trigger too early.  Money pressures maybe.  It happens.

Connection and perfomance issues were prioritized properly, and they've been hammering on those.  Is that the same people who work on things like how claims work?  It would be weird if it was, but who knows?

I'm cutting them some slack for another week or so, and will look to see if any of the top issues float to the patch notes.  The thing that worries me is that they ARE making changes to claims, but not the right design changes, and the ones purely to fix the current design are also broken.  That's not good. But we'll see.

The game's pretty unplayable-as-intended for me, so I'm playing it as unintended...staking a "claim" in lawless and just trying out all the skills, respeccing, rinse and repeat.  Running around a bit to have a look at the scenery, etc.  I die about every 15 mins to overpowered mobs, but I've got a cabinet on the beach where I stash all my stuff so I don't lose it all every time.  Sometimes the mobs eat my boat and I have to make another one.  That's why I'm still on a raft.  All my raft storage got pin hacked, and now, oddly they own the boxes and I don't.  I'm not joining companies, because they are also badly designed, where the leader can just boot you and take all your stuff, so pfffft to that. 

It's been interesting, but it's not really playing the game.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Percieval said:

You do know that every game has that, especially EA games? 

Thats not even remotely true. And even if it were true - this is a game that prides itself on its huge open world. What good is a huge open world with no one to fill it. These devs are doing irreparable damage to the games reputation. Given todays saturated games market the noise you make on release means more than anything you can do after said release. FFXIV is the one outlier that was able to recover from this. Its rare.

Thats not even remotely true. And even if it were true - this is a game that prides itself on its huge open world. What good is a huge open world with no one to fill it. These devs are doing irreparable damage to the games reputation. Given todays saturated games market the noise you make on release means more than anything you can do after said release. FFXIV is the one outlier that was able to recover from this. Its rare.

So when a game has a launch like that, and has that many problems like you stated, and it keeps the same playerbase, that is bad and it will drop further in the upcoming weeks, why is that then? Because I do not understand it. And the game is not released though. 

4 minutes ago, Percieval said:

So when a game has a launch like that, and has that many problems like you stated, and it keeps the same playerbase, that is bad and it will drop further in the upcoming weeks, why is that then? Because I do not understand it. And the game is not released though. 

Im not going to get lost in the weeds speculating, dude. You might be right, i might be, time will tell. The main point i was making is that there are serious issues with seemingly easy fixes - that have not been even recognized by the devs, never mind addressed. 

Im not going to get lost in the weeds speculating, dude. You might be right, i might be, time will tell. The main point i was making is that there are serious issues with seemingly easy fixes - that have not been even recognized by the devs, never mind addressed. 

Maybe that is because their priority is still the connection and joining issues? They will slowly move over to balancing but that time hasn't come fully yet. And I don't mind that since that's where I signed up for. As far as the recognition goes, I believe they do know about it since they have already balanced stuff like the SoTD's to a good extend. 

Maybe that is because their priority is still the connection and joining issues? They will slowly move over to balancing but that time hasn't come fully yet. And I don't mind that since that's where I signed up for. As far as the recognition goes, I believe they do know about it since they have already balanced stuff like the SoTD's to a good extend. 

Great they balanced SoD.. somehting that didnt need to be released this early in the games life to begin with. Just another example of the dev teams ineptitude. 

They still kill people on border crossings btw so... how fixed are they REALLY. And what do they add to the game for the 99% not farming them?

Edited by McGimp

3 hours ago, McGimp said:

This is a beta its not a fully released game,. if you think EA has been some great thing I Betaed UO back in the day and it never got much better., This early access is a beta test welcome to the bug squash

2 minutes ago, McGimp said:

Great they balanced SoD.. somehting that didnt need to be released this early in the games life to begin with. Just another example of the dev teams ineptitude. 

They still kill people on border crossings btw so... how fixed are they REALLY. And what do they add to the game for the 99% not farming them?

Maybe that is your decision, but it gives people something to do in PvE and it gives us a good amount of stuff we can use. I'm glad they added them back in, just like my crew. And for the 99%, I believe that the other 9 mayor companies are farming them too. 

Maybe that is your decision, but it gives people something to do in PvE and it gives us a good amount of stuff we can use. I'm glad they added them back in, just like my crew. And for the 99%, I believe that the other 9 mayor companies are farming them too. 

The majority of the playerbase agrees that they are silly, dude. If the idea is for big companies to farm SoD, why are they in lawless? If it is content for large companies why is it thrown in the faces of players just getting out of freeports? It was a half baked idea released too early in its development, released too early in the games life. They rushed fixes to them that allowed them to remain broken for 4 days, destroying ships on island coasts and keeping people from sailing for DAYS. AND they are still broken, killing people on border crossings. Great  addition though, good fixes too!!

Edited by McGimp

The majority of the playerbase agrees that they are silly, dude. If the idea is for big companies to farm SoD, why are they in lawless? If it is content for large companies why is it thrown in the faces of players just getting out of freeports? It was a half baked idea released too early in its development, released too early in the games life. 

I believe the majority of the players like the SoTD and AoTD, it's just that they were being spammed on the map. That is gone now and now I don't hear anyone anymore. Now I see people commenting on each other on what they have found on which ship and the best tactics are. 

Edited by Percieval

Just now, Percieval said:

I believe the majority of the game likes the SoTD and AoTD, it's just that they were being spammed on the map. That is gone now and now I don't hear anyone anymore. Now I see people commenting on each other on what they have found on which ship and the best tactics are. 

You can believe what you like. The rest of us know the truth, and again we are going to get lost in the weed in speculation. But most players know what the truth is and our back and forth is meaningless. Maybe youre right, but i doubt it. 

Just now, McGimp said:

You can believe what you like. The rest of us know the truth, and again we are going to get lost in the weed in speculation. But most players know what the truth is and our back and forth is meaningless. Maybe youre right, but i doubt it. 

I'm just talking out of what I see in game, on the forums these days and before and what I'm hearing from the crew and reading on discord, that's all where my stuff is coming from about the balances they make. 

On 1/6/2019 at 4:37 PM, McGimp said:

On 1/6/2019 at 4:41 PM, Percieval said:

Checking in as promised. https://steamcharts.com/app/834910