Sign in to follow this  
Robotukas

New players and people who have jobs

On 1/8/2019 at 6:30 PM, EpicJohnson said:

Freeport first steps.

1. gather some thatch, stone, then punch a tree till you get enough mats to make a stone pick

2. use pick to make flint, make stone ax.

3. gather mats for raft and have it built.

4. die

5. respawn, now gather mats for bed, place on raft

6. leave Freeport

In A10 everyone can do that. Try in C14 and challenge your self. Be a man

Well we have opposite problem : )

We settled in Tundra. We have our base and because of this region we had to build a PIER (sometimes you have to avoid water here).

There are a lot of players try to go and settle here too, but arrive totally unprepared. They go ashore, dies really fast couple times (it's like while you go from your bed to corpse you already half of health due to cold). And then they respawn at freeport.

And their rafts are just stays in a shore like forever. We've got two around our base and one guy just sailed to our port, parked raft right in the middle of our departure route (shown with green arrow) died couple of times and we never saw him again.

Raft is still here.

My bro just tried to sink it and died because of floating raft glitch. After he respawned, his corpse flied away to the skies so he lost all his stuff he was creating for a weeks.

Yet we unable to use our closest pier anymore.

iksZX5V.jpg

We once saw a guy came to us on a raft WITHOUT BED : ) It's also still there (just a little farther).

Edited by George Catcher

8 hours ago, Robotukas said:

In A10 everyone can do that. Try in C14 and challenge your self. Be a man

I've done it several times. You just add in run close to where you will spawn, toss your shit on the ground right before you die, run back and grab it and keep going until you can build a raft and a box. Then you just repeat the cycle except you're putting stuff in the box instead of tossing it on the ground. You also stay out of water and when it's night time, you just wait in town where you'll likely be cold but not suffering hypothermia and dying. The only part of this that is difficult is getting the hide for the bed and raft since you have to venture out of town and away from the warmer area to get it. You can easily gather the wood, thatch and fiber from right outside the port in the area where the broken bridge is.

On 1/20/2019 at 6:34 PM, BoomerMcFisticuffs said:

I've done it several times. You just add in run close to where you will spawn, toss your shit on the ground right before you die, run back and grab it and keep going until you can build a raft and a box. Then you just repeat the cycle except you're putting stuff in the box instead of tossing it on the ground. You also stay out of water and when it's night time, you just wait in town where you'll likely be cold but not suffering hypothermia and dying. The only part of this that is difficult is getting the hide for the bed and raft since you have to venture out of town and away from the warmer area to get it. You can easily gather the wood, thatch and fiber from right outside the port in the area where the broken bridge is.

So you say what play like this in free port is normal? I agree that you can die from an animal because you didn't have weapons. But die from cold because you can't get hide straight away. And you think that this is normal and the game is balanced? You not suppose to die at all unless you made a mistake. Does it make sense?

Edited by Robotukas

5 hours ago, Robotukas said:

So you say what play like this in free port is normal? I agree that you can die from an animal because you didn't have weapons. But die from cold because you can't get hide straight away. And you think that this is normal and the game is balanced? You not suppose to die at all unless you made a mistake. Does it make sense?

These regions are not supposed to be easy, even if they are a freeport the tundra and polar zones just like some tropic/desert zones have the added temperature problem that survivors have to deal with.  It is entirely possible to survive in a tundra freeport, polar will be a bit harder but a small group could probably do it.  If you are wanting easy, spawn in a temperate freeport like L5.  Has everything you need and the climate is rather pleasant.  Tundra with a few fires you don't need the hide in order to survive them.  Use a torch when going out from the fires to help mitigate the temperature while you gather more supplies.  Tundra will take more than an hour since you can't craft a storage box until you get a raft but while hard it is not impossible.

Getting ramshackle sloop (when you know what you are doing) with bed + storage is half an hour, max 45 minutes, job. 
You do in order:

1. build pick
  2. build hatchet
  3. build 4 spears
  4. kill birds/monkey/other small stuff for hide for sloop (check wiki for how much you need)
  5. wood + fibers for sloop
  6. buy sloop
  7. get materials and build storage
  8. if you are in danger of running out of food/water, just put all tools into storage and suicide. Ignore food and water for now.
  9. kill stuff for bed hide (check how much stuff you need)
  10. gather wood + thatch for bed
  11. build bed

Alternatively instead of storage you can go for smithy (if you have it unlocked). 

For that you need 10 minutes more cause you need to use pick on rocks to get 20 metal. 

It takes me an hour for whole remodel of ramschackle sloop, including making smithy, metal tools, loom and medium sail. Had to perfect it for freaking fountain of youth (I hate small speed sails on sloop).  Actually i added tannery few times for gliders and it added like 15 minutes more. 

Sailing to next sector is another half an hour, max one hour with extremely idiotic wind. 
At that moment you are safe from decay and in risk of animals. 

I do not recommend (very strongly NOT recommending) selecting tundra freeport for new players. And strongly recommending changing it to other one if someone accidentally selected it. Its like selecting hard difficulty on survival game which you have no idea how it works. 

Edited by Elrood

3 minutes ago, Elrood said:

Getting ramshackle sloop (when you know what you are doing) with bed + storage is half an hour, max 45 minutes, job. 
You do in order:

1. build pick
  2. build hatchet
  3. build 4 spears
  4. kill birds/monkey/other small stuff for hide for sloop (check wiki for how much you need)
  5. wood + fibers for sloop
  6. buy sloop
  7. get materials and build storage
  8. if you are in danger of running out of food/water, just put all tools into storage and suicide. Ignore food and water for now.
  9. kill stuff for bed hide (check how much stuff you need)
  10. gather wood + thatch for bed
  11. build bed

Alternatively instead of storage you can go for smithy (if you have it unlocked). 

For that you need 10 minutes more cause you need to use pick on rocks to get 20 metal. 

It takes me an hour for whole remodel of ramschackle sloop, including making smithy, metal tools, loom and medium sail. Had to perfect it for freaking fountain of youth (I hate small speed sails on sloop).  Actually i added tannery few times for gliders and it added like 15 minutes more. 

Sailing to next sector is another half an hour, max one hour with extremely idiotic wind. 
At that moment you are safe from decay and in risk of animals. 

I do not recommend (very strongly NOT recommending) selecting tundra freeport for new players. And strongly recommending changing it to other one if someone accidentally selected it. Its like selecting hard difficulty on survival game which you have no idea how it works. 

I can 100% agree to this.  In all honesty I would worry more about getting to level 8(max for freeport) first before worrying about gathering what you need for the sloop, once at 8 you can build 99% of what you need to survive well on most other blocks.

Same process, just kill everything that isn't grouped up or willing to attack you back(monkeys/chickens/solo pigs, do not attack grouped pigs as you will lose all your shit) up until you get to 8(get all their hide/bones).  Then begin building your sloop, you'll be able to drop a smithy on it as well as a bed and some storage/fire places for keeping warm if you have to travel north.  Can even build wall hooks for wood torches(not sure if a bug but these seem to do extremely well for keeping you warm).

Once you get to level 8 I'd probably skill like this until I got off the freeport and to another island, unless I was with a group that could handle tools or building.  

https://atlascalculator.com/?ac_SRzysp

Actually I would add that getting raft at the start right now is a Bad Idea. Rafts are usable for ease transport of animals and this should be the only reason someone build them. But with ramshackle sloops, rafts are useless for new players and imho should be removed form free port. 

On 1/8/2019 at 10:21 AM, Devlin said:

Just to give a different perspective here, I'm about 180 hours in and I've never paid attention to my vitamins, water, food, or health during that time. I learned from the start that there is no penalty from dying, so I just die and respawn all the time. When I saw that bodies disappear in Freeports, I rushed to get a raft, bed, and storage box first. Then I just kept gathering until I was gonna die again, stored everything, waited to die, respawned on my raft, and repeated until I had enough stored to go on my way. If I'm out at sea and I see my health dropping, I close my sails, die, respawn on my ship, and continue. When I get to a new island I want to explore or if I'm looking for a treasure map, I'll die first so i get a fresh start when I get off my boat.

So I do understand this is a survival game and that people should learn how to not die, but when it comes to PvE at least, the game currently feels like there's no need to bother with that.

This. I still use this technique even with a much higher character. I have the food and vits down but I still just let myself die or kill myself instead. No penalty means I can keep working without dealing with my char vits and just keep respawning.

On 1/22/2019 at 1:52 PM, Rambone said:

This. I still use this technique even with a much higher character. I have the food and vits down but I still just let myself die or kill myself instead. No penalty means I can keep working without dealing with my char vits and just keep respawning.

I don't use this method exclusively, but I do use it. It's just easier to die and respawn than the take care of these meters. I avoid doing it when I'm with my group on the sea since that usually slows progress. Solo, do it all the time. Start getting low and I'll just hop off my sloop and drown myself.

On 1/22/2019 at 3:11 AM, Robotukas said:

I can't say if it is normal for other players, but when starting in one of these freeports I will do this. I don't particularly enjoy it. Others have mentioned  using torches and campfires to stay warm. Neither of which have ever seemed to work for me. If they had, I wouldn't be going through this stupid process to get everything together to leave a freeport. It's not exactly hard to keep the the meters good in a freeport. It's not exploit or bug abuse to do this, but it is definitely creative use of gameplay mechanics to get around an issue.

I did start in a Tundra freeports a few times after bad things happened to my raft after sailing even further south (the whale...).

The warmth of campfires stack.

At night stay with them.

You can use the campfire to store wood and meat.

Stack the fortitude stat on level up. It slows vitamine depletion and shifts the temperature at which you take freezing damage.

Until you have a set of fur clothing staying in tundra is tedious. 

In the end I left the tundra until I had my fur. After that it becomes a nice area. 

When you customize your sloop do build a cabin or other enclosed space for your bed and put a wardrobe with spare clothing next to it.

On 1/7/2019 at 1:37 AM, Robotukas said:

Did you visit E14? It is tundra with - temperature. And you health is start decrease once you start a game. Make a video how to survive in this freeport island.

Pick another zone. 

On 1/22/2019 at 9:56 AM, Elrood said:

Actually I would add that getting raft at the start right now is a Bad Idea. Rafts are usable for ease transport of animals and this should be the only reason someone build them. But with ramshackle sloops, rafts are useless for new players and imho should be removed form free port. 

Hey, I started with a raft on day 1 and I'm still on a raft.  I like them!  I considered going back and building a ramshackle, but one of the best things about rafts is the way you don't have to soil your pants every time you get circled by 8 SOTD.  Not sure if they ignore ramshackles the same way.

That reminds me -  ship storage box...is there a min. size of ship required for it?

Edited by Winter Thorne
question

Just a heads up for everyone saying “claim flag limit” they have already stated that will not happen. 

They need to get rid of the sleepers. Hundreds of claims available with people sleeping in a thatch base, but hasn’t logged in for more than two weeks.  

Plenty of land in the tundra and polar regions, but difficult for new players and a lack of fiber in the polar regions. Tundra is survivable with about 30 fortitude.