Sign in to follow this  
redrubbin

MONSTROUS WHALE

so we spawn into the O15 zone on out lvl 30 galleon with 48 crew and as soon as we load in we are getting attacked by a lvl one monstrous whale and get one shot almost fliped upside down and sunk we had no way to attack avoid or defend.

• Sad 4

Had this with my raft, changed zones, and spawned right next to a SotD.  All I could see was green and the noise, oh the sound was bad...  then I realised what it was, and well...  now I pray when changing grids 🙂

1 hour ago, redrubbin said:

so we spawn into the O15 zone on out lvl 30 galleon with 48 crew and as soon as we load in we are getting attacked by a lvl one monstrous whale and get one shot almost fliped upside down and sunk we had no way to attack avoid or defend.

If true, this is more than a little troubling, as it's effectively indefensible and serves no useful purpose as to game challenge. Might require tweaking of the whales. Sorry for your loss. Respect for reporting it without childish ranting or emoting invectives at the devs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

If true, this is more than a little troubling, as it's effectively indefensible and serves no useful purpose as to game challenge. Might require tweaking of the whales. Sorry for your loss. Respect for reporting it without childish ranting or emoting invectives at the devs.

Whales have no resrictions of where they can go, they can climb islands aswell. As for the barrier camping, both whales and SoDs do that, mainly SoDs tho as they are more numerous... but atleast they don't one-shot even the biggest ships in the game, whale it seems is just a big joke, literaly, big.

1 minute ago, Nightstrasza said:

Whales have no resrictions of where they can go, they can climb islands aswell. As for the barrier camping, both whales and SoDs do that, mainly SoDs tho as they are more numerous... but atleast they don't one-shot even the biggest ships in the game, whale it seems is just a big joke, literaly, big.

Yeah I fail to see the utility in having something that can one shot the biggest ships in the game. Particularly a thing you have little to no chance to see coming. Unless I'm missing something it just doesn't serve any useful purpose. Having a challenge is useful. Having a mechanic that randomly destroys your work regardless of what you do isn't useful, just frustrating and annoying.

• Like 1

im on b15 and I have encountered them frequently . On a raft you can in fact see them coming when they agro , only because there is little to block the green health bar that lights up at a huge range away . I think this is the major issues with them is that they have almost a quarter map agro range . they will also swim into shallow water , never seen them come completely onto land but as close as a raft can get . they are not limited to size when it comes to how far they can move and something that big shouldn't be able to go into water that they cant even swim in .  Before anyone says that real whales get beached , one they usually die soon after and are stuck there , two they cant swim in a creek depth of water either . So there is a very real mechanic issue to them , they should not be allowed to move in water that even the largest of ships can seeing as their size alone is larger then any ships we have , and their aggression range seems to be in contrast to their size and as such is much much larger then even a SoD's . On a simple raft they will agro from a huge range much less anything larger .

I just looked back at the 9.2 patch notes and "Reduced deepwater aggressive creature frequency and targetting range." im guessing the whales are not considered "deepwater" , if they are then I would hate to see the agro range they used to have , cause there isn't a day that goes by I haven't had a run in with one . Although I can say it makes for a spectacular sight from a raft when you first see the targeter if you turn to put the wind fully at your back you can stay ahead of it .  But watching it start to break water and spray is cool as hell .

a trillion ship of the damned, million whales all i can say is that i enjoy this game of cat and mouse while running through a maze. And when im on land those zombies as someone said in a other topic yea im enjoying those aspects of the game very very much