NZScruffy

The only thing i'm interested in seeing in patch notes is overweight sinking fix

Again, updated patch notes say nothing at all about fixing the major game breaking exploit of overweighing players boats in PvE to sink and loot them. Grapeshot have not even acknowledged the existence of the problem, despite 100's of posts on the forums about it, and numerous exploit/bug reports.

The updates you are making are great, but none of them mean anything without the fix to this game breaking pve exploit.

How is this not your absolute top priority???

• Like 3

Don't build anything with public inventories such as smithies on the open deck of your ship.  Even a sloop can have its smithy under deck.  There are videos on how to do this using a half wall.

Since they designed ark and this around pvp as the primary focus, pve being something of an afterthought because people asked in ark, I'm not sure how they will go about it.  The weight and crew limit stuff is a key mechanic to pvp and it might not be simple to just disable a key system like that for pve servers which may be why its taking so long for a solution to come up.

5 hours ago, mndfreeze said:

Don't build anything with public inventories such as smithies on the open deck of your ship.  Even a sloop can have its smithy under deck.  There are videos on how to do this using a half wall.

Since they designed ark and this around pvp as the primary focus, pve being something of an afterthought because people asked in ark, I'm not sure how they will go about it.  The weight and crew limit stuff is a key mechanic to pvp and it might not be simple to just disable a key system like that for pve servers which may be why its taking so long for a solution to come up.

1. They don't need public containers, simply grab tons of stone and hop on by self with friends or drop the resources on the deck and run for more if needed an come back before 2 minutes expire, hiding machines only makes it slightly harder for them, if thou art going to gather resources or sleep or have a life after all, that ship is already gone.

2. Fix?, there is a simplest fix that someone can imagine, suggested it already like 3 times over the forums. Just remove crew limit, make each person weight 60-70kg and make so weight doesn't sink ships anymore, just makes them stop in place. See, that's so easy, now weight limits crew so crew is still limited and also there is no stupid sinking from weight so if the ship actualy siks, that's bcs we "poked a bear" and got cannons in the face.

• Like 4

Simplest fix would be only to allow the owner or fellow members of a Company to get on a ship in the first place.

2 hours ago, Coggage said:

Simplest fix would be only to allow the owner or fellow members of a Company to get on a ship in the first place.

What about pvp or random passengers. How would ship repel "invaders", teleport them into air?, bcs how would it know where is safe for that player.

I Keep my Ladders up and when i Log off i demolish everything that can be used to sink my Ship. I Rebuild if needed, Annoying but better than Loosing The Ship bc. off this Shit!

Just now, Jorm said:

I Keep my Ladders up and when i Log off i demolish everything that can be used to sink my Ship. I Rebuild if needed, Annoying but better than Loosing The Ship bc. off this Shit!

Can't they still glide on top of it or use hook or climbing picks to get on and overcrowd it? As for raising ladder, good choice, makes their job much harder, especialy with weight griefing.

Maybe, but till now nothing Happened. Lets Hope they fix it soon so i dont need to Demolish everything

Any ship can be sunk by 2 players on a PVE server. Ladders up help but can e circumvented by determined griefers. No open inventory needed.

Simple fix: change it so anchored ships can't be overcrowded and overloaded ships can't move but won't sink. Pri 1 gimme that patch already.

2 hours ago, archaegeo said:

The second they do this people will use it to transport unlimited weight, you know they will.

No they wont, as said, there will still be weight limit but going over it will just stop the ship in place insteed of sinking it so sure, place all that stone, will just throw it off at morning.

• Like 1

There's a weight limit for characters inventories.  Try pulling everything out of your smithy and it caps out.  I assume it's a glitch that a character can then continue to pick up weight that's been dropped from another character.  Prevent that, and there's one way to make it harder for griefers. 

With that, also don't put open containers on your ship deck.

Make dropped items not count towards weight.  I can't think of downside to that, but feel free for feedback.

Finally, I don't understand why characters that are not in your company or alliance count towards crew in the first place. Fix that and fix that problem. 

I don't like the "make the ship not be able to move" solution, because I'm sure some asshat would load up a character and then just log off for weeks. 

3 minutes ago, Poot Pootington said:

There's a weight limit for characters inventories.  Try pulling everything out of your smithy and it caps out.  I assume it's a glitch that a character can then continue to pick up weight that's been dropped from another character.  Prevent that, and there's one way to make it harder for griefers. 

With that, also don't put open containers on your ship deck.

Make dropped items not count towards weight.  I can't think of downside to that, but feel free for feedback.

Finally, I don't understand why characters that are not in your company or alliance count towards crew in the first place. Fix that and fix that problem. 

I don't like the "make the ship not be able to move" solution, because I'm sure some asshat would load up a character and then just log off for weeks. 

Sleepers can be carried away, just drop them into the ocean.

5 minutes ago, Nightstrasza said:

Sleepers can be carried away, just drop them into the ocean. 

On PVE?

I had a guy sleeping on his boat for days that was blocking a claim, and I couldn't pick him up to move him.  I've found I can only move dead bodies; not sleeping ones.

1 minute ago, Poot Pootington said:

On PVE?

I had a guy sleeping on his boat for days that was blocking a claim, and I couldn't pick him up to move him.  I've found I can only move dead bodies; not sleeping ones.

Hmm, a neighbour once said that they teleport to their old base sporadicaly to check if sleepers are still alive and protecting the claims from griefers so assumed that players sleeping can be picked up even in PVE, if that's wrong, sorry.

28 minutes ago, Poot Pootington said:

With dropped items not counting as weight someone could, if dedicated enough, keep dropping and picking up large stacks of items to keep the weight of their ship down. It'd be a pain in the ass but it would be possible to transport more weight than allowed. And you have to count people not in your company. Otherwise companies would just have several members that are not "officially" in the company to keep the weight down and carry larger than allowed crew. 

15 minutes ago, Nightstrasza said:

Hmm, a neighbour once said that they teleport to their old base sporadicaly to check if sleepers are still alive and protecting the claims from griefers so assumed that players sleeping can be picked up even in PVE, if that's wrong, sorry.

At least in PVE you can't pick up sleeping players not in your company.

-----------

This is one of those issues where a lot of the proposed solutions are worse than the original problem. You're either going to end up with something that's easy to grief people with or something easy to exploit to circumvent ship crew/weight rules.

What I would propose is that ships don't sink from too much weight or crew as others have said. However to address the concern Poot Pootington had about people hoping on your ship and logging off, they could simply add a menu option to kick sleeping players off your ship. Problem solved. You'd still have an issue if a group of trolls piled on your ship and refused to leave but at least they wouldn't sink the damn thing.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MaxPower said:

With dropped items not counting as weight someone could, if dedicated enough, keep dropping and picking up large stacks of items to keep the weight of their ship down. It'd be a pain in the ass but it would be possible to transport more weight than allowed. And you have to count people not in your company. Otherwise companies would just have several members that are not "officially" in the company to keep the weight down and carry larger than allowed crew. 

At least in PVE you can't pick up sleeping players not in your company.

-----------

This is one of those issues where a lot of the proposed solutions are worse than the original problem. You're either going to end up with something that's easy to grief people with or something easy to exploit to circumvent ship crew/weight rules.

What I would propose is that ships don't sink from too much weight or crew as others have said. However to address the concern Poot Pootington had about people hoping on your ship and logging off, they could simply add a menu option to kick sleeping players off your ship. Problem solved. You'd still have an issue if a group of trolls piled on your ship and refused to leave but at least they wouldn't sink the damn thing.  

Actualy that's a good idea. As for the group of trolls, there could be like a timer on the ships, if someone not from company is ont he ship too long... too bad, they are getting teleported outside. To counter the fact that some ppl would like to transport strangers sometimes, simply add to the player interaction menu an option that sends "invitation" that gives invited player to stay on the ship with the timer stoped. The timer would not restore for many minutes after leaving it to prevent hopping back and forth for a refresh.

Ships become immobile when overweight instead of sinking.

No griefing

No exploiting weight

problem solved

• Like 4

21 hours ago, mndfreeze said:

I run my own unofficial server. On my server, all placed containers are auto-locked. It's a setting any server can use... apparently that's too advanced stuff for Grapeshot, so they just leave all containers wide open in PvE and don't even allow the container to be locked.. You gotta love official..

Suffice to say, unlocked containers isn't an issue. But that does nothing at all to stop people overweight sinking ships.. and it should not even be possible... this stupid exploit  should not exist at all. 

Edited by NZScruffy
  • Like 1

I run my own unofficial server as well the easiest solution to this problem is to just remove the people doing the griefing because let's face it at the cost of running these server's yours can't be that big that you don't know and speak to everyone on it. Or a simple msg at log in warning people doing this will be banned because why would you want these type's of people even on your server.

On 1/5/2019 at 10:29 PM, mndfreeze said:

Heck, not sure why no one mentions this, but just put too many players (over crew limit) and it sinks a boat.

This is crazy!

A boat should just not move when over weight or over crewed. It should not sink.

3 hours ago, Crimson Outlaw said:

I run my own unofficial server as well the easiest solution to this problem is to just remove the people doing the griefing because let's face it at the cost of running these server's yours can't be that big that you don't know and speak to everyone on it. Or a simple msg at log in warning people doing this will be banned because why would you want these type's of people even on your server.

THIS and so much this. 

its looks like the official servers are unmoderated, unprotected and uncared for. yes they maintain technical integrity and stability as good as they can. but I seriously doubt they ever logged onto their own game for more than a couple of minutes. the whole system shows that. 
they mabe tried to once if "mining works" or "taming interface comes up".. but never actually invested hours in taming something themselves, as well as mining something to build something big themselves. 

they dont have the slightest clue on how this weight griefing is actually done on theri servers. 
they have never seen a horde or players gliding onto a ship and unloading, 

they have never seen ships with dedicated boarding ramps built on them just for the sole purpose of being able to sink ships. (they use their own ships just as a stepping stone to help board others)

it seems - and many otrher suggested - that the company doesnt give arats arese about PVE and what happens there. 
the claim system - although bad - might be workable in PVP; in PVE its a gamebreaking issue. yet they keep it and change some timers. 
sorry to inform you that its not timers that are the issue. its the underlying mechanic of being able to conest and then claim everything thats in that claim. 

ARK had some of the worst Meta i´ve ever seen in an online game: big Tribes basically shutting down whole servers. sealclubbing anyone that was new or tryied to make it. 

offline raiding - which is the lowest form of "pvp" , if you even can call that pvp. yet the game seems to be directly developed to foster exactly this behavior. 

if there are no rules , these things (griefing and abusive behavior) will occur more often than not. if theere are rules, but nobody enforces them, its like having no rules at all. 

a lot of games treied to build their whole online-premise around a 100% player driven content and "socioety". ALL of them have failerd miserably. that does not mean they failed ecomomically though - ARK was pretty darn successfull I guess. but community-wise, those games never got the longevity and "society", that they could have. 

• Like 1

I know people who instead of farming resources, simply sail over to the nearby freeport, sink all the ships with weight and then harvest the wreckage. Its simply easier and more fun to do.

1 minute ago, MightySheep said:

and more fun to do.

If you're a complete end it may be.

Personally, it would make me feel dirty and a like a total douchebag, a feeling I don't enjoy.

Perhaps you should consider who you associate with.

• Like 1