Yensu

Sailing into wind at 30% = BAD

I had complaints about it before I even experienced it, but now that I've experienced it it's worse than I thought.

Here are my complaints:
It makes docking harder - I used to sail straight where I wanted to park and when I approached I would turn my sails against the wind to come to a stop. This is no longer possible which means I have to take it much slower. Not a big deal, and I can adjust.

Fighting SotDs is harder now - Before I would sit with no wind and just turn to fight them. This is no longer possible to the extent it was. Sure, you can raise your sails to stop, however then you lose the agility that the sails provide when turning. I am going to have to re-learn how to most effectively fight them. This is the most annoying side affect I've experienced.

The most common complaint, it makes the game easier, is wrong. Turning while against the wind mean you could make stationary turns at a good speed. This is no longer possible as you have to be moving at least a little, or have bad turn speed.

The benefits of this change:
Tacking is more effective as you will still move at some speed while changes sails against the wind. (tacking is most relevant on smaller ships)
You can now AFK sail against the wind without worrying about sails. I would hope you don't do this anyway since there are SotDs to worry about. So this is hardly a plus.

I am willing to play by their rules and so if this remains in the game I will adjust, however I have found it to be an annoying change so far.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, and above all that it just feels cheap.

It's clear the entire sailing system was designed to operate with 0 speed against the wind. You can just feel it when you do sail against the wind, it just feels wrong.

And it's odd that a studio like Wildcard, who fancy themselves design virtuosos, would add something that feels cheap like this.

• Thanks 1

Ye it's terrible, i liked the system way better before, you can adjust by dropping sails all the time though, it's just a pain to do. Even the speed boost is terrible now that i have experimented it further, make battling other ships not very enjoyable because your turn radius is so narrow now, once more you have to drop sail all the time to adjust now. I almost destroyed my speed sail to put handling, but i'm confident the whole fucking boat will be undrivable because ill have to destroy the wheel too as it stand on a ceiling that go inside the sail, so i don't even want to try.

It's sad because the sailing part was well set up, they needed to adjust the Damned, not our ships, but i guess or they couldn't do it or just found it way easier/faster to do it that way. Well time for them to do it again i guess. That's what happen when your father didn't learn you to do proper work the first time, rather than wasting the time of everyone... Fucking pay a small team totest your shit before setting them on your live servers, god damn it, is that really hard to understand, the whole fucking industry work like this, for good reasons... Fucking rename the existing server as test server and open new ones you patch only once this kind of crap is set up correctly.

And it's the same thing happening with the vitamin and food as well. Now that they adjusted the vitamin and the timer while sailing, the thing that happen is that your belly is full but you have zero vitamin. Now even if you want to play 'legit' you have to kill yourself if you sail for a long time... It's just bad.

Edited by ExplodingYeti

It makes turning a raft virtually impossible now, especially in tight areas. I sailed close to an inlet yesterday. Suddenly a ton of ships and shipyards rendered in. This made it impossible to get out and I eventually became stuck on a shipyard. Had to respawn back on a bed in another zone and everything in that raft is now forfeit.

• Sad 1

I like it meanwhile, and i am a real life sailor.

Bad for stucking in shipyards.

Yeah, change it back!

I'm tired of being able to effectively dock my ship!

I want to go back to having to zigzag back and forth for hours!

I miss my rafts never being able to get out of a cove!

I'm getting to much done now, nerf sailing so i can go back to staring at waves for hours!

32 minutes ago, Sarge Of Greyhawk said:

Since when in real life can you face your sail into the wind and travel at 30% the ships speed without a motor. Real life sailing this is not..

Since when did anyone declare this was a sailing simulator? Its a fantasy game... not a hardcore sim. 

4 hours ago, Swyfty said:

It makes turning a raft virtually impossible now, especially in tight areas. I sailed close to an inlet yesterday. Suddenly a ton of ships and shipyards rendered in. This made it impossible to get out and I eventually became stuck on a shipyard. Had to respawn back on a bed in another zone and everything in that raft is now forfeit.

How exactly is the new system keeping you stuck to the shipyard? The fact that you can move in any direction no matter where the wind is blowing should make it significantly easier to get unstuck.... not harder. 

• Like 1

When sailing a raft you can not turn if you are against anything.  And you also have to have a large amount of space to turn. This is only with the raft due to not having a rudder.

I have a stuck raft due to this as well , I tried to drop the sail to 10% to turn it against the wind to turn around and it kept moving forward faster then it turned and thus ended up butting itself flat on a rockface , now it will not turn at all . The change was so new players could use rafts without taking hours on end to get to a island because of wind and I understand that , but they should add a way to turn a raft other then by sail . All other ships you can simply lower the sails and turn the ship at a slow pace using the rudder .

Where im based I expect to loose rafts so mine isn't a big deal but I can see how this has caused stuck rafts , at least it wasn't another whale that claimed this one , lol .

Just stop a bit off shore, then just jump in the water and swim to land? apart from the game will insta spawn a shark on your ass to kill you 😄

On 1/5/2019 at 3:18 PM, Yensu said:

Not a big deal, and I can adjust.

I am going to have to re-learn how to most effectively fight them.

Tacking is more effective as you will still move at some speed while changes sails against the wind. (tacking is most relevant on smaller ships)
You can now AFK sail against the wind without worrying about sails.

I am willing to play by their rules and so if this remains in the game I will adjust.

I agree with your above comments 100%.

Edited by Dorf

On 1/6/2019 at 12:18 AM, Yensu said:

It makes docking harder - I used to sail straight where I wanted to park and when I approached I would turn my sails against the wind to come to a stop. This is no longer possible which means I have to take it much slower. Not a big deal, and I can adjust.

Absolutely it's not a big deal and I am glad, that now you got to be more cautious getting alongside your pier. Turning right out of the wind for stopping, would only be considered an emergency action and not a common and widely used maneuver. The chance of finding your rig on the deck is actually quite high. Maybe, one can do it with those white pesty joghurt boats, but try that with a Bark or Brig or even a 3-mast Gaffel Schooner. (Brig means the real rig, not what this game considers a Brig or Brigantine).

On 1/6/2019 at 12:18 AM, Yensu said:

Fighting SotDs is harder now - Before I would sit with no wind and just turn to fight them. This is no longer possible to the extent it was. Sure, you can raise your sails to stop, however then you lose the agility that the sails provide when turning. I am going to have to re-learn how to most effectively fight them. This is the most annoying side affect I've experienced.

Harder? A couple of broadsides out ouf 5 gun ports with the small cannon and medium ball blows a so called Alpha out of the water. Just sitting there turning, well I cannot and will not consider this good seamanship. Even though I do understand that this is not a sailing simulator and a game, that has to do some compromises, the mechanic you described shouldn't be an option at any time.

One thing I observed, were builds - no matter what kind of vessel - mostly rigged the same. Rah - speed - rigged, with guns in the ports, but none forward facing or even aft. I've seen this only once, except for our standard setup. (Please note, this observation was made on PvE not PvP).

Front facing is quite nice for hunting, even though mortars seem to be a better choice than large cannons. Ok, you usually don't need them up front, but not having a pair of cannons on the aft is like asking for being sunk. SotD will chase you once they get a hook on you. Your aft is your weakest spot. So why do so many simply ignore it?

The changes in sailing are quite interesting. The speed increase is greatly appreciated, considering it's a game and not a simulator. Still missing:

Where is my Beaufort scale?

Logging - I want to see my speed in knots

Course setting and navigation table - distances in NM (nautical miles) 

Guys, hanging crew members for not obeying orders. I am tired of shooting my company mates when they mistake portside for starboard again and again and again... 🙂

(and it's a waste of ammo)

18 hours ago, ExplodingYeti said:

And it's the same thing happening with the vitamin and food as well. Now that they adjusted the vitamin and the timer while sailing, the thing that happen is that your belly is full but you have zero vitamin. Now even if you want to play 'legit' you have to kill yourself if you sail for a long time... It's just bad.

you can tell that the devs never actually logged on tot heir own server and sailed for more than 1-2 minutes to test things out themselves. otherwise a lotr of the stuff we see would never even be in the game,