Sign in to follow this  
AlexPlayer

I don't want to lose a character because of his age.

Stop saying "It will serve a purpose in PVP", you don't know that. And even if it did; taking away the cosmetic options of the player, and taking away the player's character will make people quit the game. 

It won't make it more "meaningful", it'll just sour what is good about the game.

The mechanics we're going to be given to get around it are probably going to involve sailing the sea looking for a random spawn. And it will probably make us repeat that journey every time we want to save our characters from death. Nobody has time for that nonsense. We just want to do what the game was real made for : PIRATING.

Ask yourself this : WHY DO YOU WANT IT?

You don't seem to realize throwing any mechanic in a game for the sake of it ISN'T the best way to make games. It has to FIT the rest of the game, and not ruin it.

"Naked zerging"; you can't even hurt anyone with fists, not really. It is no problem. And if you think the solution is killing off people's characters that they've grown to care about? Then you've taken the wrong approach. Honestly, people would take an exp loss over this garbage any day.. That is, if "naked zerging" was actually a real problem; which it isn't.

A naked person can't : kill someone in armor (who isn't afk), and they can't destroy a base. All they can do is pick stuff up. That is it. And if you leave something out in the open to be picked up, it is your own fault..

OH and lets not forget how easy it is to send someone back to the starter island. Yes, naked zerging is such a problem when all you have to do is destroy a bed to send someone away.

Naked zerging might be a problem in ark, where you can boost your melee damage stat, but on here, you can walk backwards and counter fists. 

Please just stop replying to my posts if you don't agree with them. I'm so very tired of arguing with you.  You expect everyone else's gameplay to be adjusted to your whim and desires even though its going against what the developers stated their aim was with the system.  Not nearly as many people care about their character aging as you do, or how it looks COSMETICALLY in a full loot pvp game. If that is what you are looking for then you probably picked the wrong game and dress up barbie: pirate edition is on sale somewhere I'm sure.

You most definitely cant hurt people with fists.  I knock people out in 2 to 3 hits.  

What you don't seem to realize is they aren't just throwing 'any mechanic for the sake of it' in the game.  That would imply it has no purpose when it very, clearly, does, and I've explained it I dont know how many fucking times but you choose to just ignore those little bits because it doesn't fit the complaining narrative you want to spin.  *I* didn't come up with the idea, the DEVS did and it was stated.  

You obviously don't play on a pvp server if you think naked zerging isn't a problem.  Forsen, a pretty popular streamer known for trolling people, being generally toxic and annoying, and his massive fanbase army was naked zerging shit non-stop since they joined.  They somehow managed to claim up quite a chunk of land for having almost no coordination, little to no gear, almost no boats, etc, etc.  Then there are the chinese.  You must be blind as fuck or have some crazy *selective* reading skills if you somehow can post on these forums or browse reddit without seeing all chinese threads that have been going around since launch.  It's pretty well known zerg tactics are used and work.

I'm guessing you are one of those small clan or solo players.  The same ones that don't understand the flag mechanics if you think naked/minimal gear zerging doesn't work and isn't effective.  You also are being selective extremist because everyone knows naked zerging doesn't mean no gear gets used EVER.  Naked zerging is all about picking up shit from fallen people, or garbage like spears and tools, taking over my pure numbers then starting to claim and while that happens you have people with gear and what not show up to help hold it.

You are, as I said before, someone who is just looking to argue with anyone who doesn't agree with your opinon.  You obviously have zero idea how large scale pvp works in this game, almost  like you've never done it.  Go back to your raft in the freeport man.

Edited by mndfreeze

I like the whole concept of carrying on a lineage like the continuation of a story that has many novels in the series. But don't you guys get all worked up about it, the dev's will screw up this part of the game also just like they messed up a good sailing/ pirating  game with the last patch making sailing much easier and unrealistic for those that just want a shooter game for children... I'M TALKING ABOUT THAT BOATS CAN GO 30% THERE SPEED AGAINST THE WIND LIKE THEY HAVE SOME KIND OF MOTOR OR SOEMTHING. so don't fret they will break the aging part for the children also ..

Oh and also about the naked zerging attacks they work great in some games but this one is all about the spawn spots.. If you are hoard attacked in this game have part of you men/ people go and destroy the beds they are using for spawning … it drops there numbers down to nothing... because of the cooldown periods of the beds … Find there spawn spots...

Edited by Sarge Of Greyhawk

7 minutes ago, Sarge Of Greyhawk said:

I like the whole concept of carrying on a lineage like the continuation of a story that has many novels in the series. But don't you guys get all worked up about it, the dev's will screw up this part of the game also just like they messed up a good sailing/ pirating  game with the last patch making sailing much easier and unrealistic for those that just want a shooter game for children... I'M TALKING ABOUT THAT BOATS CAN GO 30% THERE SPEED AGAINST THE WIND LIKE THEY HAVE SOME KIND OF MOTOR OR SOEMTHING. so don't fret they will break the aging part for the children also ..

Oh and also about the naked zerging attacks they work great in some games but this one is all about the spawn spots.. If you are hoard attacked in this game have part of you men/ people go and destroy the beds they are using for spawning … it drops there numbers down to nothing... because of the cooldown periods of the beds … Find there spawn spots...

Spawn points definitely matter but it doesn't invalidate the tactic as a whole or make it less effective during the onslaught.  Generally massive guilds that do it spread their rafts and boats out all over the place, or stealth take over a single claim deep in the island somewhere that isn't obvious, or both.  Have a horde of beds all over so it's not as easy as killing them all and rushing the beach straight down from your base.  

If  you watch a lot of streamers who pvp a lot, you will even see them fighting naked a lot of the time.  They might START geared, but they die once and its much faster and effective to quickly grab one weapon and just charge off the ship (or onto it if you live on the island) than it is to sit there and dig through a cabinet, grab gear, requip, etc.  The difference of a minute could be the sinking of a brig or not in pitched battle on the sea or a blown door on a base.

Really the specific details don't really matter because this is all theorycraft about the death mechanic any way which isn't implemented and no one has any idea past the little bit the devs said about it on how it will work.  There really isn't any point getting upset until they at least give us more detail and start the process.

Well I like the reply and the streamer you watched must be of high caliber, but I stand by my statement. We are a fairly small company that basically turned the behemoth company back by mass killing of the invaders and sending out our schooners to sink all of there sloops, there schooners and a brigantine was in hot pursuit of our schooners but they were having a respawn of the mates problem and there numbers were dwindling on land...  it put a bind on the beds available to those that we were taking down on land... the cooldown period was killing them... also if you are not actively watching your island for squatters you are not paying attention to your lands... 

22 hours ago, Ransurias said:

How in the world can you get to level 51 in a day? I rolled an EU character recently and I've only managed level 23 over the past 3 days. I've been going on hunting trips with my flintlock, but most animals just don't give that much experience. =/

Took the wife on a very simple quest (message in a bottle) at lvl 16, by the end of the quest she was 33. Damage gives experience. Once we learned how much experience, we simply started a quest, killed all but the boss, reset the quest. That's the fastest way I've found.

1 hour ago, mndfreeze said:

Please just stop replying to my posts if you don't agree with them. I'm so very tired of arguing with you.  You expect everyone else's gameplay to be adjusted to your whim and desires even though its going against what the developers stated their aim was with the system.  Not nearly as many people care about their character aging as you do, or how it looks COSMETICALLY in a full loot pvp game. If that is what you are looking for then you probably picked the wrong game and dress up barbie: pirate edition is on sale somewhere I'm sure.

You most definitely cant hurt people with fists.  I knock people out in 2 to 3 hits.  

What you don't seem to realize is they aren't just throwing 'any mechanic for the sake of it' in the game.  That would imply it has no purpose when it very, clearly, does, and I've explained it I dont know how many fucking times but you choose to just ignore those little bits because it doesn't fit the complaining narrative you want to spin.  *I* didn't come up with the idea, the DEVS did and it was stated.  

You obviously don't play on a pvp server if you think naked zerging isn't a problem.  Forsen, a pretty popular streamer known for trolling people, being generally toxic and annoying, and his massive fanbase army was naked zerging shit non-stop since they joined.  They somehow managed to claim up quite a chunk of land for having almost no coordination, little to no gear, almost no boats, etc, etc.  Then there are the chinese.  You must be blind as fuck or have some crazy *selective* reading skills if you somehow can post on these forums or browse reddit without seeing all chinese threads that have been going around since launch.  It's pretty well known zerg tactics are used and work.

I'm guessing you are one of those small clan or solo players.  The same ones that don't understand the flag mechanics if you think naked/minimal gear zerging doesn't work and isn't effective.  You also are being selective extremist because everyone knows naked zerging doesn't mean no gear gets used EVER.  Naked zerging is all about picking up shit from fallen people, or garbage like spears and tools, taking over my pure numbers then starting to claim and while that happens you have people with gear and what not show up to help hold it.

You are, as I said before, someone who is just looking to argue with anyone who doesn't agree with your opinon.  You obviously have zero idea how large scale pvp works in this game, almost  like you've never done it.  Go back to your raft in the freeport man.

I can reply to whatever I want. The problem is, you just don't like losing. 

You've knocked someone out with fists in 2 hits? Please.. Just please. Maybe after they'd been bitten by seven snakes, sure. Oh, and they were standing still and letting you punch them.

"It has a purpose". Lots of things have a purpose, but that doesn't mean they're good for the game. I could rail off a bunch of game mechanics from various games that make games worse by design. Does that mean they should stay just because they had a purpose?

They had a purpose for ships of the damned, look how that turned out. Oh, and the claim mechanic.. All things that had a purpose, but made the game less fun as a whole in their execution.

Oh, and someone naked zerged with lots of people. If someone lost to naked people, they'd have just lost even harder if they'd been using equipment. Imagine if all of those naked people were in plate armor, they'd have probably never died in the first place. 

I obviously DO play on a PVP server, so please don't make assumptions. I am probably one of the most aggressive player types on the game when it comes to PVP. I also play in a small tribe because the game is more fun when you have to actually do stuff, and you feel like you've lost more when you make it off your own back. You're probably one of those fake players who just amasses a bunch of people who all do little bits of hard work, and thus avoid having to do any real grind.

Also, you do realize the SPAWN TIMER goes up every time someone spawns; quite significantly. You want to fix the zerging? Perhaps START THERE.. Hello? Obvious much? Not that you'd need to fix it, since it is so long anyway.

This is a game of numbers. It will always be a game of numbers until they figure out a way to nerf huge tribes/alliances. That is just how the game works. If you get zerged by more players, chances are you're going to lose.

Basically : if you lost to a zerg of naked players, you were going to lose anyway. If they come equipped in plate, they'd have just stomped whoever it was 10x as hard. Meaning ? Meaning naked zergs are not a problem. They might be in ark where you can actually upgrade your melee damage, but here? No. Oh, and don't even mention the hand to hand tree... Dear god, it makes no difference at all. Walk backwards to avoid everything.

Edited by Adfax
  • Thanks 1

On 1/5/2019 at 11:56 PM, Linea said:

just wait till they introduce a hardcore server with permadeath. you wont die of old age there 😉

If you do that is an achievement. 

On 1/5/2019 at 7:13 PM, Adfax said:

This type of mechanic should be saved for a game that is built around lineage. A game about sailing the seas and pirating isn't well fit for a mechanic like this.

I think this is the exact definition and the right conclusion.  Such a mechanic is not suitable for this game and only spoils the game (does not allow  to develop one unique character, build a base, ships, engage in exploring the world with the help of one character). My character  is crated by me and his development is important for me. I don't want to see the final death of this character. This game is about the life of one person, about his individual achievements in the virtual world, and not for many generations.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AlexPlayer said:

I think this is the exact definition and the right conclusion.  Such a mechanic is not suitable for this game and only spoils the game (does not allow  to develop one unique character, build a base, ships, engage in exploring the world with the help of one character). My character  is crated by me and his development is important for me. I don't want to see the final death of this character. This game is about the life of one person, about his individual achievements in the virtual world, and not for many generations.

Really? This is one of the games I give literally nothing about my character, 1 min and I spawn in and never bat an eye. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Percieval said:

Really? This is one of the games I give literally nothing about my character, 1 min and I spawn in and never bat an eye.

As for me,  events in the game, occurring with my character, are important for me (in the Atlas and in the Ark). Really, this is full life in an alternate virtual reality. Without such a reality created by the developers of the game (in the Atlas and in the Ark), it would be uninteresting to play and live in this virtual world. Because of it, I don't want to lose my character and replace it with a new character (I repeat). Kaleidoscope, mosaic, frequent change of characters in the game will not allow me to take seriously the virtual world of the game and will destroy the charm of the game (for me). I will leave the game after this (in the case of the introduction of the mechanics of the final death of the character and the change of characters in the game). I will not do this if I can save all the skills of the old character with a new character, but such a change of characters will be unpleasant for me.

Edited by AlexPlayer

28 minutes ago, AlexPlayer said:

As for me,  events in the game, occurring with my character, are important for me (in the Atlas and in the Ark). Really, this is full life in an alternate virtual reality. Without such a reality created by the developers of the game (in the Atlas and in the Ark), it would be uninteresting to play and live in this virtual world. Because of it, I don't want to lose my character and replace it with a new character (I repeat). Kaleidoscope, mosaic, frequent change of characters in the game will not allow me to take seriously the virtual world of the game and will destroy the charm of the game (for me). I will leave the game after this (in the case of the introduction of the mechanics of the final death of the character and the change of characters in the game). I will not do this if I can save all the skills of the old character with a new character, but such a change of characters will be unpleasant for me.

Then I believe you are the only one in this. As for the skills, you keep them. 

• Like 1

that sad of Dev dont comunicate about this feature, my Little Char have now 61 Y old .. i hope we have some Official information soon as possible ! 

• Like 1

On 05/01/2019 at 12:51, mndfreeze said:

Le système de la mort va être utilisé pour se lier à un autre mécanisme. Actuellement, avec le jeu, vous pouvez exploiter les aspects de survie du jeu car il n'a pas d'inconvénient à mourir et à réapparaître. Vous pouvez éviter de manger et de boire entièrement et juste ressusciter à votre lit. Vous pouvez faire des zergs et des raids sans fin sans conséquences. Lorsque le nouveau système entrera en jeu, vous vieillirez plus vite lorsque vous mourrez, et les développeurs devront probablement en discuter. Tout cela est lié au mécanisme de survie. OMI, c'est très important parce que quelque chose manquait à l'arche était un système de survie qui voulait dire n'importe quoi.  

La plupart des jeux de guerre similaires à celui-ci ont une sorte de chose négative qui se produit si vous abusez du système de la mort. Perte de XP, perte de niveau, etc. Atlas en a absolument besoin et cela semble être la voie à suivre.  

Ce système est pas fiable et incompatible sur Atlas... surtout quand tu te fais tuer en boucle par un mob à cause des bugs , qui seront pour la plus part non réglé car présent dans ark.

Il fonce dans le mur avec ce système de vieillissement .... et qui a envie de jouer une mamy de 100 ans???

This system is not reliable and incompatible on Atlas ... especially when you get killed in loop by a mob because of the bugs, which will be for the most part not settled because present in ark. He rushes into the wall with this aging system .... and who wants to play a 100 year old mamy ???

Its gonna be in the game whether or not you want it in. I think the mechanic is brilliant and welcome either circumventing my legendary pirates death via the fountain of youth or passing my deeds through my linage. I hope there are steep penalties when you die too.

3 hours ago, AlexPlayer said:

The character also gets uglier with age, already have past 40. Since thre is no death from age yet, wonder how horribly we gonna look at age 200 etc if it scales further, makes just not want to look at the character at all.

• Like 1

My character is almost 60 and hideous. 😞 If the death and lineage hasn't been implemented yet, I wish we just didn't age at all for now. I am no longer a sexy pirate, I am wrinkly, hunched over pirate. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

i doubt there will be penalties for dying of old age. we can already die as much as we want and just respawn with no penalties.

it looks more like a respec system to me, once you cannot respec for free anymore you will have to die of old age and start a new char to respec. but you will keep your level.
Actually the level is the only thing you cant loose while your inventory, ship, house and claim can be lost the character level is the only persistent progression which is very important for these kind of games. player numbers would be too low to pay for the servers if there was only complete restarts and permadeath with no other servers/settings. its an option for a hardcore server thou together with general permadeath once bugs and balance are manageable.

I just think its funny that a character can age years in only a matter of a fews in game days.

• Like 1

They should double the time it takes to age and give incentives to keep your character living via the fountain of youth or whatever. Maybe they could gain cosmetic items, or each time your character dies you have to find all the points of interest again.

Your characters won't die of old age, sillyhead. Not for the foreseeable future, anyway. My primary concern is being old and senile by the time I'm at the level cap, which is honestly ridiculous.

It serves as a permanent penalty for dying. Can't wait for it, however aging is too fast right now.

11 hours ago, Xyroc said:

I just think its funny that a character can age years in only a matter of a fews in game days.

You are gonna play this game for a 100 years? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IsilithTehroth said:

They should double the time it takes to age and give incentives to keep your character living via the fountain of youth or whatever. Maybe they could gain cosmetic items, or each time your character dies you have to find all the points of interest again.

Why though? I don't want to have to deal with that, I just want to raid people and PVP. I don't care about an age mechanic that just gets in the way of the fun part of the game.

You don't just crowbar mechanics in for the sake of it. They have to work with the game they're in. Age mechanics get in the way of the real game, and should be scrapped.

Also, I don't want to look old when I might want to look young, and I don't want to look young when I might want to look old. Just put it as an option in the character creator and be done with it. If people want to have children, let them, but don't force us to age and kill off our own characters if we don't want to. It'll just make people quit the game.

Edited by Adfax
  • Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:17 AM, Sarge Of Greyhawk said:

I agree changing the sailing was stupid. It does take away from what the game SHOULD be about. 

Aging however? No. Aging takes away from what the game should be about : creating a pirate legend. 

You can't create a pirate legend in a month. And nobody cares about the children of famous pirates. 

And please, before someone says "this isn't a game about pirates, and pirating".. Just please. You can say "the game is about a lot of things!", but don't tell me the core of this game isn't built around pirates (in regards to the theme).

Let me give you a game that is a great example of where crowbarring in unnecessary stuff can ruin a game: Star fox Zero.

In SFZ you have what is a seemingly good game, in a well renowned franchise, until you realize you're forced to play it with an annoying control scheme that detracts from the whole experience, because Nintendo can't release a game without trying to do something new and innovative, even to the detriment of the game. It is fine to innovate, but don't innovate for innovations sake. Nintendo are probably the worst for doing stuff like this.. The Wii itself is a good example of where some games were spoiled through being forcibly built with motion controls, where they'd have otherwise been better without.

Putting an age mechanic in a game like this is the same thing. It is innovation for innovation's sake, and it ignores what is good for the game just to crowbar something fresh into the game. The game is innovative enough, it doesn't need aging; aging hurts the game more than it helps it.

If you MUST put age in the game, make it optional. I can think of a couple of easy ways to do this, that thematically fit with the game :

-Pirate's curse : You live forever, you don't age, but cannot have children, but have a debuff that equates to the disadvantage of having your character die; you can cure this debuff by finding the fountain of youth. (this method only needs to have a debuff if aging and dying has some impact on gameplay ). Maybe even give people the option of having a cool zombie aesthetic, think curse of the black pearl.

-Remove aging : Don't bother implementing it in the first place and keep it as an option in the character creator. 

Edited by Adfax
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Adfax said:

I agree changing the sailing was stupid. It does take away from what the game SHOULD be about. 

Aging however? No. Aging takes away from what the game should be about : creating a pirate legend. 

You can't create a pirate legend in a month. And nobody cares about the children of famous pirates. 

And please, before someone says "this isn't a game about pirates, and pirating".. Just please. You can say "the game is about a lot of things!", but don't tell me the core of this game isn't built around pirates (in regards to the theme).

Let me give you a game that is a great example of where crowbarring in unnecessary stuff can ruin a game: Star fox Zero.

In SFZ you have what is a seemingly good game, in a well renowned franchise, until you realize you're forced to play it with an annoying control scheme that detracts from the whole experience, because Nintendo can't release a game without trying to do something new and innovative, even to the detriment of the game. It is fine to innovate, but don't innovate for innovations sake. Nintendo are probably the worst for doing stuff like this.. The Wii itself is a good example of where some games were spoiled through being forcibly built with motion controls, where they'd have otherwise been better without.

Putting an age mechanic in a game like this is the same thing. It is innovation for innovation's sake, and it ignores what is good for the game just to crowbar something fresh into the game. The game is innovative enough, it doesn't need aging; aging hurts the game more than it helps it.

If you MUST put age in the game, make it optional. I can think of a couple of easy ways to do this, that thematically fit with the game :

-Pirate's curse : You live forever, you don't age, but cannot have children, but have a debuff that equates to the disadvantage of having your character die; you can cure this debuff by finding the fountain of youth. (this method only needs to have a debuff if aging and dying has some impact on gameplay ). Maybe even give people the option of having a cool zombie aesthetic, think curse of the black pearl.

-Remove aging : Don't bother implementing it in the first place and keep it as an option in the character creator. 

You can still be a legend via the fountain of youth. In fact that makes you more of a legend if you can continueously keep your pirate young forever by conquering the seas and laying claim to the fountain. You are definately the vocal minority here. Everyone else wants an aging and heir system in game. It adds flavor to the game and maybe depth if they give bonuses to keeping your pirate alive.

I really hope grapeshot doesn't listen to your ilk and try to dumb down the game by removing features, content and mmorpg aspects. There is always Ark or a slew of survival games if you guys just want to pvp raid 24/7

Edited by IsilithTehroth
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1