Sign in to follow this  
AlexPlayer

I don't want to lose a character because of his age.

Myself I'm interested to see where it goes. Perm death would be nice because it makes the game more real and can't be a total a@@hole to everyone. Ark died due to people griefing. Ark taught me to never trust anyone. And if people had to fear death it would be more satisfying when your child takes revenge on that group. Draw back would be the dessamation of your family in the game. I would like to see where it goes. If y'all are afraid of dieing  go back to ark where you can naked zerg people. 

Edited by Apohis
  • Like 2

I would delete this game 100% without hesitation if i have to start over every week with a new character

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, IsilithTehroth said:

All these kiddies that want reward but none of the risk. I hope it becomes permadeath too.

There will be mechanics in place for them to avoid if they want.  The biggest complainers about it are definitely just the 'want everything, do nothing' crowd.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mndfreeze said:

The biggest complainers about it are definitely just the 'want everything, do nothing' crowd.  

You forgot the crowd that will always find a reason to cry about anything because nothing is every good enough.  This recent patch has really brought that crowd out in droves.

Just now, Domino said:

You forgot the crowd that will always find a reason to cry about anything because nothing is every good enough.  This recent patch has really brought that crowd out in droves.

Yeah just catching up on the forums tonight is showing that lol. 😄  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Domino said:

If i call them whiners, and you a white knight.. do i win the forums.

I don't think you will have to start over. Maybe you lose some levels, maybe not. Maybe you inherit stats and get some bonuses, who knows. But you definitely won't have to start over. This would kill the game and devs know it. You can't make an mmorpg and reset character progression every few weeks. I would not be so worried guys.

I actually think the more generations the more bonus stats/skillpoints we will have.

Edited by Willard
  • Like 1

Forcing a player to die and choose either fountain from youth replenishment or passing on to your offspring is simply lame in this type of game and making a character age even faster in correlation to how many deaths they have suffered is a silly, irrelevant, and detrimental game mechanic. We players have so many unrealistic ways of dying in the game such as server lags, disconnections, code bugs, and game crashes through no fault to the actual player themselves and these reasons alone renders this feature as being moot. I do not wish to see this implemented.

Edited by vaylain
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Willard said:

Je ne pense pas que vous deviez recommencer. Peut-être que vous perdez certains niveaux, peut-être pas. Peut-être que vous héritez des statistiques et obtenez des bonus, qui sait. Mais vous n'aurez certainement pas à recommencer. Cela tuerait le jeu et les développeurs le savent. Vous ne pouvez pas créer de mmorpg et réinitialiser la progression du personnage toutes les quelques semaines. Je ne serais pas si inquiet les gars.

En fait, je pense que plus il y a de générations, plus nous aurons de statistiques / points de compétences supplémentaires.

J’espère que tu as raison:) car vraiment recommencer de 0 toute les 2 3 semaines ... c'est horrible et nul à chier comme idée ... c'est même pas de la difficulté en faite, juste une option pour gros no life.. 

Traduction google 

I hope you're right 🙂 because really start from 0 every 2 3 weeks ... it's horrible and no one to shit as an idea ... it's not even difficult in fact, just an option for big no life ..

Puis c'est horrible de jouer avec une vielle momie .. à savoir que mon personnage à déjà 68 ans en 2 semaines ..

traduction google

Then it's horrible to play with an old mummy .. to know that my character is already 68 in 2 weeks ..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vaylain said:

Forcing a player to die and choose either fountain from youth replenishment or passing on to your offspring is simply lame in this type of game and making a character age even faster in correlation to how many deaths they have suffered is a silly, irrelevant, and detrimental game mechanic. We players have so many unrealistic ways of dying in the game such as server lags, disconnections, code bugs, and game crashes through no fault to the actual player themselves and these reasons alone renders this feature as being moot. I do not wish to see this implemented.

Lucky for you none of those mechanics are actually implemented yet so worry not!  You are entitled to your opinion but I hold the opposite opinion that we NEED mechanics to punish people who abuse the fact that character death resets all your stuff and lets you bypass the core survival mechanics of the game.  This is early access so all the other issues you mentioned should hopefully be addressed at some point and become a non-issue.  

1 hour ago, Willard said:

I don't think you will have to start over. Maybe you lose some levels, maybe not. Maybe you inherit stats and get some bonuses, who knows. But you definitely won't have to start over. This would kill the game and devs know it. You can't make an mmorpg and reset character progression every few weeks. I would not be so worried guys.

I actually think the more generations the more bonus stats/skillpoints we will have.

I hope it is the exact difference. The longer you can keep your character alive the better bonuses. Why reward people that couldn't find the fountain of youth and control it? I do think there needs to be a slower aging process of say 2-3 months for your character to perma-die of old age with a timeframe of say 1 week window (to promote pvp) to gain whatever bonus but a player can use the fountain at anytime to reset their aging process as long as it is before their character perma-dies.)

Also dying should add something worthwhile like a year or 2 added to age.

Edited by IsilithTehroth

1 hour ago, Willard said:

That is actually my only hope if such idiotic mechanism will ever be implemented. Also I really hope no one got brilliant idea out of clickers and offline games for "lets give him additional stats and  skill points on start but make him level up again locking player out of his more developed skills for a week or so.

We already have "disposable" characters in a game (even there was a meme about how chars looks like vs expectations, just look how some youtubers made their chars look....) and they want to push us in this direction? Would there be any reason to make char look good? If you in week or two need to do it again and again and again? FFS this would only benefit streamers characters cause they would have some change in eye candies for viewers. But for us regular players? What exactly that mechanism would give? How would it make game more enjoyable for me? Please, somebody answer me this. And bear in mind I don't care about whole Zerg thing. I'm playing PvE. 

This would indicate that someone want to make roguelite mmo? With soo freaking much grind and few weeks of single playthrough!?! FFS even C:DDA didn't make character die from old age and its hardcore to the bone (+ core play is not that different from Atlas if you think about it). I'm not even sure if I know any game which made such mechanics and I'm sure I know none that succeed. Atlas is already a niche game, this would push it out of comfort zone of a lot players who would and are enjoying it now, both PvP as well as PvE. 

18 minutes ago, Elrood said:

That is actually my only hope if such idiotic mechanism will ever be implemented. Also I really hope no one got brilliant idea out of clickers and offline games for "lets give him additional stats and  skill points on start but make him level up again locking player out of his more developed skills for a week or so.

We already have "disposable" characters in a game (even there was a meme about how chars looks like vs expectations, just look how some youtubers made their chars look....) and they want to push us in this direction? Would there be any reason to make char look good? If you in week or two need to do it again and again and again? FFS this would only benefit streamers characters cause they would have some change in eye candies for viewers. But for us regular players? What exactly that mechanism would give? How would it make game more enjoyable for me? Please, somebody answer me this. And bear in mind I don't care about whole Zerg thing. I'm playing PvE. 

This would indicate that someone want to make roguelite mmo? With soo freaking much grind and few weeks of single playthrough!?! FFS even C:DDA didn't make character die from old age and its hardcore to the bone (+ core play is not that different from Atlas if you think about it). I'm not even sure if I know any game which made such mechanics and I'm sure I know none that succeed. Atlas is already a niche game, this would push it out of comfort zone of a lot players who would and are enjoying it now, both PvP as well as PvE. 

I guess they want players to have some character progression outside of leveling. What if each generation has more base HP/skill points etc.? You will be "rewarded" for playing the game by aging and you will be able to create your offspring with bonus stats and eventually play for him. Maybe you lose some xp but you will have better base stats. That would be fine from my point of view at least.

1 minute ago, Willard said:

I guess they want players to have some character progression outside of leveling. What if each generation has more base HP/skill points etc.? You will be "rewarded" for playing the game by aging and you will be able to create your offspring with bonus stats and eventually play for him. Maybe you lose some xp but you will have better base stats. That would be fine from my point of view at least.

Yeah, this is rogulite mechanic i was talking about it. The game which made it well was Rogue Legacy. But here is one thing which makes that mechanics totally incompatible to atlas. Every roguelite or roguelike which I know and was successful in any way, had short "character period". Certainly not in 100 of hours. There is no time to get attached to you character. Atlas is very different game in that regard.

As for losing XP, here is the question - how many level will you lose? Bear in mind we have 100 levels now. How much freaking time it will take to get to this 100ish (or any other max) level every time my main char die?! 

If by death i lose half an hour - no prob, i can take it. If by death i loose week of playing, than this will mean time to move on. Atlas at the moment is about building, fighting and discovery and progression. Making me regrind levels ever few weeks is not adding anything to the game. I won't build anything new this way because i will be scrambling to catch up to where i was before such death. I may fight cause it is best way to level. I won't be discovering anything new cause I will be optimizing re-leveling to be as fast as possible using what i already know - remaking what you loose is not the time to experiment and wonder. Progression will be reversed. 

I just don't see benefits. Sure, you could "ascend" in a way with few more stat or skill points. But really, would it be worth hassle of recreating character? Take a look how much time player can spend in character creation screen to make character perfect. This will also have to be redone. Than I need to reiterate current (best at the time) way to grind levels to get to max level again - and 4th time i do it, efficiency will be top priority without consideration how 'unfun' it will be, just a chore game enforce me to do. 

Look at classic mmorpg. Bored players from time to time roll new characters to play with new ways of playing, to experiment and yet again feel the thrill of learning. With death you basically force player to go through the same process of creating new character but without this drive for change. Just added hassle and grind to get back on top of things.

43 minutes ago, Elrood said:

Yeah, this is rogulite mechanic i was talking about it. The game which made it well was Rogue Legacy. But here is one thing which makes that mechanics totally incompatible to atlas. Every roguelite or roguelike which I know and was successful in any way, had short "character period". Certainly not in 100 of hours. There is no time to get attached to you character. Atlas is very different game in that regard.

As for losing XP, here is the question - how many level will you lose? Bear in mind we have 100 levels now. How much freaking time it will take to get to this 100ish (or any other max) level every time my main char die?! 

If by death i lose half an hour - no prob, i can take it. If by death i loose week of playing, than this will mean time to move on. Atlas at the moment is about building, fighting and discovery and progression. Making me regrind levels ever few weeks is not adding anything to the game. I won't build anything new this way because i will be scrambling to catch up to where i was before such death. I may fight cause it is best way to level. I won't be discovering anything new cause I will be optimizing re-leveling to be as fast as possible using what i already know - remaking what you loose is not the time to experiment and wonder. Progression will be reversed. 

I just don't see benefits. Sure, you could "ascend" in a way with few more stat or skill points. But really, would it be worth hassle of recreating character? Take a look how much time player can spend in character creation screen to make character perfect. This will also have to be redone. Than I need to reiterate current (best at the time) way to grind levels to get to max level again - and 4th time i do it, efficiency will be top priority without consideration how 'unfun' it will be, just a chore game enforce me to do. 

Look at classic mmorpg. Bored players from time to time roll new characters to play with new ways of playing, to experiment and yet again feel the thrill of learning. With death you basically force player to go through the same process of creating new character but without this drive for change. Just added hassle and grind to get back on top of things.

You can save your character look and just load it 🙂 i think they should balance it so everytime you die and start playing as an offspring you start a little stronger than you were before death. That would be RPG progression.

6 minutes ago, Willard said:

You can save your character look and just load it 🙂 i think they should balance it so everytime you die and start playing as an offspring you start a little stronger than you were before death. That would be RPG progression.

Nope, that would be afkclicker progression. From RPG perspective its regression because every time you need to level up again for little gain. RPG hates steps back. And this would be very much 100 steps back to make 100 and one steps forward. They cannot make it too big gain cause it would imbalance the hell of the game.

This mechanics i saw in Rogue Legacy and afk clickers. First had very short period of character play through and very quick iterating through characters + you never lost anything that took time to gain. Seconds are afk games - extremely niche genre...  And they have exponential decrease of time for each reiteration. Nowhere else. I would say for very good reasons I've already stated.

Edited by Elrood

20 hours ago, IsilithTehroth said:

All these kiddies that want reward but none of the risk. I hope it becomes permadeath too.

"these kiddies"

Using logic, we've already explained why the mechanic is a poor fit. It isn't about permadeath so much as it just being bad for the game.

I'm fine with permadeath if it is done well. Like lets say.. The old Mario games, where you lose all your lives, and you have to start over. I think it works fine there. Here? No way. This game is far too janky, and the devs aren't going to forsee every circumstance; leading to permadeath due to bugs, or due to some other unfair reason.

12 hours ago, Willard said:

No you can't, it doesn't let you load presets at the moment due to a bug.

14 hours ago, mndfreeze said:

Lucky for you none of those mechanics are actually implemented yet so worry not!  You are entitled to your opinion but I hold the opposite opinion that we NEED mechanics to punish people who abuse the fact that character death resets all your stuff and lets you bypass the core survival mechanics of the game.  This is early access so all the other issues you mentioned should hopefully be addressed at some point and become a non-issue.  

It isn't worth giving up cosmetic options, or losing a character permanently though. 

There are other ways to make death more meaningful that don't involve ruining this aspect of the game.

1 hour ago, Adfax said:

It isn't worth giving up cosmetic options, or losing a character permanently though. 

There are other ways to make death more meaningful that don't involve ruining this aspect of the game.

Exactly that, don't want to look incredibly ugly or play as a character that will look different. And especialy don't want to lose levels or claims and buildings on them, that would instantly equal to negative review and quiting for us.

1 hour ago, Adfax said:

It's been stated a 100 times now that there are going to be ways to avoid perm loss (so you have a CHOICE) and you can save/load your character look.  Just because its bugged now doesn't mean it won't be fixed by whatever time this stuff starts getting implemented.  The fact that choices will be there means its up to you if you want that specific feature of the game to 'ruin' it for you or not.  It's not forced.  Forced would be no Fountain, no breeding, just death and reroll.