Sign in to follow this  
AlexPlayer

I don't want to lose a character because of his age.

Atlas is a very interesting game. It gives me a lot of pleasure to play it. But I don't want to lose a character because of his age (I mean the game development plans). It is not interesting for me to create a family in the game. I don't want to start from the first level after the death of the character because of his age.I don't think it's a good idea. To spend a lot of time on the game, and to start  each time the game first after death of character beecause of his age.

• Like 4

It's a planned mechanic and part of the lore.  There will be 2 options to mitigate it.  You can have a kid and then take it over when you die and it retains your level/skills/etc or find the fountain of youth. 

None of it is even implemented yet so I wouldn't worry about  it until it is.

12 minutes ago, mndfreeze said:

It's a planned mechanic and part of the lore.  There will be 2 options to mitigate it.  You can have a kid and then take it over when you die and it retains your level/skills/etc or find the fountain of youth. 

None of it is even implemented yet so I wouldn't worry about  it until it is.

Thanks, but I’m worried about this to prevent similar game mechanics. I don't think these mechanics are necessary for the game. Of course, this is just my opinion. As for me I can leave this game after the death of my character and necessity to start again first from first level.

I takes a day to get 51, probably less once you've done it once or twice. Even if it took 2 or 3 days, it's not that big of a deal.

21 minutes ago, AlexPlayer said:

Thanks, but I’m worried about this to prevent similar game mechanics. I don't think these mechanics are necessary for the game. Of course, this is just my opinion. As for me I can leave this game after the death of my character and necessity to start again first from first level.

The death system is going to be used to tie into another mechanics. Currently with the game you can exploit the survival aspects of the game because it has no down side to just die and respawn.  You can avoid eating and drinking entirely and just respawn at your bed.  You can zerg and raid endlessly with no consequences.  When the new system comes into play you will age faster when you die, and probably other things as well still to be discussed by the devs.  It all ties together as part of the survival mechanic.  IMO, it's pretty important because something ark lacked was a survival system that meant anything.  

Most PVP focus'd war games similar to this have some sort of negative thing that happens if you abuse the death system. XP loss, level loss, etc.  Atlas definitely needs one and this seems to be the route they are going.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mndfreeze said:

The death system is going to be used to tie into another mechanics. Currently with the game you can exploit the survival aspects of the game because it has no down side to just die and respawn.  You can avoid eating and drinking entirely and just respawn at your bed.  You can zerg and raid endlessly with no consequences.  When the new system comes into play you will age faster when you die, and probably other things as well still to be discussed by the devs.  It all ties together as part of the survival mechanic.  IMO, it's pretty important because something ark lacked was a survival system that meant anything.  

Most PVP focus'd war games similar to this have some sort of negative thing that happens if you abuse the death system. XP loss, level loss, etc.  Atlas definitely needs one and this seems to be the route they are going.  

I am interested in preserving and transferring the skills of my old character to a new character (in case of final death because of the age of the old character). I think without this, the game will lose value for individual development. No one wants to develop a character every  three months from the first level. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Bluediemond said:

I takes a day to get 51, probably less once you've done it once or twice. Even if it took 2 or 3 days, it's not that big of a deal.

How in the world can you get to level 51 in a day? I rolled an EU character recently and I've only managed level 23 over the past 3 days. I've been going on hunting trips with my flintlock, but most animals just don't give that much experience. =/

P.S. The negative consequences of death should be (loss of experience and even levels), but players should not start the game again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ransurias said:

How in the world can you get to level 51 in a day? I rolled an EU character recently and I've only managed level 23 over the past 3 days.

I have been playing for a few days and my character has been 53 years old. I'm worry...

Just now, Spidernumerouno said:

I was hoping I could die and I could get back on a Ship of the Damned.

:)))).

Aye, but on the other side I hear tell of a golden land with unlimited resources, strong wind, clear skies and creatures that fear to tread in your presence.

Exactly. 

It is a stupid mechanic unfit for a game like this. The developers should know better. 

Once again, I bring up this : 

How can you make a pirate legend in a month? 

AND

You don't hear stories about the children of famous pirates.

This type of mechanic should be saved for a game that is built around lineage. A game about sailing the seas and pirating isn't well fit for a mechanic like this.

Edited by Adfax
  • Like 5

45 minutes ago, AlexPlayer said:

I am interested in preserving and transferring the skills of my old character to a new character (in case of final death because of the age of the old character). I think without this, the game will lose value for individual development. No one wants to develop a character every  three months from the first level. 

This in particular is an excellent point too.

You grow to know your character, and define them on the seven seas, only to have them stripped away from you forever because of some arbitrary reason. They seriously just need to take a page out of Ark's book for this one. An age mechanic really doesn't work to the game's benefit.

Do not crowbar mechanics in unnecessarily just because you saw them garner a little attention elsewhere. They MUST fit the game, otherwise you're doing more harm than good.

2 hours ago, mndfreeze said:

Age is not the way to handle something like that.

Increase the cost it takes to make items, and suddenly, you have even more reason not to die. Killing off your character will just make people want to quit the game.

I stress again : Ark doesn't need it, and nor does this game. 

Ark is a successful game; they shouldn't deviate from the formula, they should only build on it. An age mechanic isn't an expansion, but a retraction, since it takes away more options than it gives.

Edited by Adfax
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Adfax said:

Exactly. 

It is a stupid mechanic unfit for a game like this. The developers should know better. 

Really. It's hard and interesting to play (I play alone), but to know that you (your character) will lose everything after two three months . I don't agree with such feature of the game.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Adfax said:

You grow to know your character, and define them on the seven seas, only to have them stripped away from you forever because of some arbitrary reason.

Really.  Well said.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ransurias said:

How in the world can you get to level 51 in a day? I rolled an EU character recently and I've only managed level 23 over the past 3 days. I've been going on hunting trips with my flintlock, but most animals just don't give that much experience. =/

Find a couple of alpha animals, trap them and shoot them with a bow and arrow or throw spears at them.  You get a couple people doing this and you will fly through the levels.

6 hours ago, Hodo said:

Find a couple of alpha animals, trap them and shoot them with a bow and arrow or throw spears at them.  You get a couple people doing this and you will fly through the levels.

It isn't really about how fast you can level a character, but the loss of the character itself; and the incongruence of having a aging mechanic in a game about pirating.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Adfax said:

It isn't really about how fast you can level a character, but the loss of the character itself; and the incongruence of having a aging mechanic in a game about pirating.

We really dont know how the aging mechanic is going to play out.  It could be something cool... it could be lame.. we dont know yet.  

5 minutes ago, Hodo said:

We really dont know how the aging mechanic is going to play out.  It could be something cool... it could be lame.. we dont know yet.  

If i'm losing my character, or my character is forced to look a way I don't want them to look, it is already lame as far as i'm concerned.

• Like 4

Sounds like a stupid idea, course if it slowed down the hordes of idiots running into battle naked with fire arrows..  so be it..  but then they will just be level 1 naked people with flame arrows...

12 hours ago, AlexPlayer said:

This is exactly what will happen, at least according to the tiny amount of information the devs mentioned before launch.  You only have to restart your character if you choose not to find a mate/have a kid or ignore the fountain of youth (quest/discovery?).  None of it is implemented yet though including death.  The idea seems to be to give punishment for those who just zerg like crazy, naked attaccking over and over and over with no tactics, and to make the survival system have meaning/risk.  Then you will need to put in a little effort/work to transfer your skills/stats/level so  you won't need to start over.

I don't think they will implement age death without the other mechanics to give players an option.  That would be silly and pointless.  

44 minutes ago, mndfreeze said:

This is exactly what will happen, at least according to the tiny amount of information the devs mentioned before launch.  You only have to restart your character if you choose not to find a mate/have a kid or ignore the fountain of youth (quest/discovery?).  None of it is implemented yet though including death.  The idea seems to be to give punishment for those who just zerg like crazy, naked attaccking over and over and over with no tactics, and to make the survival system have meaning/risk.  Then you will need to put in a little effort/work to transfer your skills/stats/level so  you won't need to start over.

I don't think they will implement age death without the other mechanics to give players an option.  That would be silly and pointless.  

Once again : what is the point of the mechanic if you just transfer over stats? It serves no purpose.

You're speculating it will be to create more risk from death; i'd say that will just cause people to quit the game. Anyone who becomes attached to their character, and then is forced to lose them, will simply leave the game. A more extreme example of this would be losing a pet. Often people don't buy another after the pain of loss of the first.

I really think people would like the option to never lose their character. And it shouldn't require some "fountain of youth" that is impossible to find, or that they have to repeatedly frequent to stay young. 

Some people might want their characters to die, and constantly have to replace them, why someone would want to fuss with that when really all they want to be doing is pirating ?..Your guess is as good as mine. I would wager most people do not want that from their pirate MMO. 

If the fountain was handed to you on a plate, and it made you permanently not have to deal with this stupid age mechanic, i'd be fine with that. So long as it doesn't make me constantly have to visit the fountain. Just once, and then I can be done with it. Then the people who want to age are happy, and the people who don't are happy. Everyone can be happy.

Age mechanics have nothing to do with pirates. We don't want them in our pirate MMOs.. Save them for a game where they actually make sense.

Edited by Adfax
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Adfax said:

Once again : what is the point of the mechanic if you just transfer over stats? It serves no purpose.

You're speculating it will be to create more risk from death; i'd say that will just cause people to quit the game. Anyone who becomes attached to their character, and then is forced to lose them, will simply leave the game. A more extreme example of this would be losing a pet. Often people don't buy another after the pain of loss of the first.

I really think people would like the option to never lose their character. And it shouldn't require some "fountain of youth" that is impossible to find, or that they have to repeatedly frequent to stay young. 

Some people might want their characters to die, and constantly have to replace them, why someone would want to fuss with that when really all they want to be doing is pirating ?..Your guess is as good as mine. I would wager most people do not want that from their pirate MMO. 

If the fountain was handed to you on a plate, and it made you permanently not have to deal with this stupid age mechanic, i'd be fine with that. So long as it doesn't make me constantly have to visit the fountain. Just once, and then I can be done with it. Then the people who want to age are happy, and the people who don't are happy. Everyone can be happy.

Age mechanics have nothing to do with pirates. We don't want them in our pirate MMOs.. Save them for a game where they actually make sense.

Yes, we get it, you don't like the mechanic and you don't like aging and you want to be able to RP your pirate.  I'm sure you can find unofficials who will mod it out once it gets put in, or RP servers that change how it works.  For PVP on officials it will serve a purpose with mechanics attached and tied into other core mechanics of the game to make them have more meaning.  Whether you agree with it or not.  As for your assumption about what other people want I would say you are incorrect.  People want ways to deal with naked zerging and want systems in the game with meaning, such as food and water.

Everything in this entire thread from both sides is just speculation because it isn't released yet and we only  have a few sentences from the devs as to what their idea with it is and what it's for.  The only thing that's for certain is that we have an age number and you get older as you play because we can see that right now along with the little bit the devs have said about it.  

I'm not sure why you have such a hard on against a system that you are going to be given mechanics to get around if you want.  Considering breeding in ark is fairly straight forward it shouldn't be a ton of work to 'have a kid', whom I imagine you will have some control over how they look and since you retain your levels/skills its a pretty small thing to have to do but perhaps annoying enough when fully implemented it will make people think twice about suiciding over and over to avoid the survival system or naked zerg raiding non-stop.

Skill or level loss is basically the same thing, just incremental with no avoidance pathway.  I'd argue that's actually a harsher system and I'd be totally OK with that.  I don't really care if we look older or not. It's just a mechanic to me to support other mechanics.

• Like 1

just wait till they introduce a hardcore server with permadeath. you wont die of old age there 😉

6 hours ago, mndfreeze said:

Yes, we get it, you don't like the mechanic and you don't like aging and you want to be able to RP your pirate.  I'm sure you can find unofficials who will mod it out once it gets put in, or RP servers that change how it works.  For PVP on officials it will serve a purpose with mechanics attached and tied into other core mechanics of the game to make them have more meaning.  Whether you agree with it or not.  As for your assumption about what other people want I would say you are incorrect.  People want ways to deal with naked zerging and want systems in the game with meaning, such as food and water.

Everything in this entire thread from both sides is just speculation because it isn't released yet and we only  have a few sentences from the devs as to what their idea with it is and what it's for.  The only thing that's for certain is that we have an age number and you get older as you play because we can see that right now along with the little bit the devs have said about it.  

I'm not sure why you have such a hard on against a system that you are going to be given mechanics to get around if you want.  Considering breeding in ark is fairly straight forward it shouldn't be a ton of work to 'have a kid', whom I imagine you will have some control over how they look and since you retain your levels/skills its a pretty small thing to have to do but perhaps annoying enough when fully implemented it will make people think twice about suiciding over and over to avoid the survival system or naked zerg raiding non-stop.

Skill or level loss is basically the same thing, just incremental with no avoidance pathway.  I'd argue that's actually a harsher system and I'd be totally OK with that.  I don't really care if we look older or not. It's just a mechanic to me to support other mechanics.

Stop saying "It will serve a purpose in PVP", you don't know that. And even if it did; taking away the cosmetic options of the player, and taking away the player's character will make people quit the game. 

It won't make it more "meaningful", it'll just sour what is good about the game.

The mechanics we're going to be given to get around it are probably going to involve sailing the sea looking for a random spawn. And it will probably make us repeat that journey every time we want to save our characters from death. Nobody has time for that nonsense. We just want to do what the game was real made for : PIRATING.

Ask yourself this : WHY DO YOU WANT IT?

You don't seem to realize throwing any mechanic in a game for the sake of it ISN'T the best way to make games. It has to FIT the rest of the game, and not ruin it.

"Naked zerging"; you can't even hurt anyone with fists, not really. It is no problem. And if you think the solution is killing off people's characters that they've grown to care about? Then you've taken the wrong approach. Honestly, people would take an exp loss over this garbage any day.. That is, if "naked zerging" was actually a real problem; which it isn't.

A naked person can't : kill someone in armor (who isn't afk), and they can't destroy a base. All they can do is pick stuff up. That is it. And if you leave something out in the open to be picked up, it is your own fault..

OH and lets not forget how easy it is to send someone back to the starter island. Yes, naked zerging is such a problem when all you have to do is destroy a bed to send someone away.

Naked zerging might be a problem in ark, where you can boost your melee damage stat, but on here, you can walk backwards and counter fists. 

Edited by Adfax
  • Like 1